Raging uti

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Sorry to merail but just a quick question for anyone medical. I think I've got a raging uti, very uncomfortable, no appetite, nauseous etc. I have antibiotics at home I could take, but I really need to hand in a sample for culture. If I take a tablet now will it impact the sample I give in 12 hours? Will it dampen the bacteria numbers & not show the full extent of my infection?

• Sad
Reactions: 6
Sorry to merail but just a quick question for anyone medical. I think I've got a raging uti, very uncomfortable, no appetite, nauseous etc. I have antibiotics at home I could take, but I really need to hand in a sample for culture. If I take a tablet now will it impact the sample I give in 12 hours? Will it dampen the bacteria numbers & not show the full extent of my infection?
Can you get a sample in a clean beaker and refrigerate it? Then start the antibiotics. That’s what I would do. Feel better as I know they’re awful. 😔

• Heart
Reactions: 9
I don’t think it would wipe out all the bacteria within 12hrs, so I’d go ahead & start the antibiotics. Just make a note on the form you hand in with your sample, that you’ve started such & such antibiotic, what the dose was & what time you started it. The lab will factor that in when the interpret the results. I’m not a microbiologist, but have worked in laboratories for 24 years. I’ve also had more than my fair share of UTIs. I hope you feel relief soon 💖 xx

• Heart
Reactions: 12
I've just come across this and thought of you tilly.

• Heart
Reactions: 1
I've just come across this and thought of you tilly.
You're most kind @Ally Pally thank you ever so much.
10 days/2 weeks ago I finished a low but long prescription of antibiotics. But now on 2nd infection after finishing that long course😬. I have got a prescription for Methenamine hippurate, my urology consultant said it's relatively new? But apparently it makes from the bladder down inhospitable for infection, I think it's an antibacterial. Though I've never been infection free long enough to start it. I've had sepsis twice because of this palaver... grrrr

You're most kind @Ally Pally thank you ever so much.
10 days/2 weeks ago I finished a low but long prescription of antibiotics. But now on 2nd infection after finishing that long course😬. I have got a prescription for Methenamine hippurate, my urology consultant said it's relatively new? But apparently it makes from the bladder down inhospitable for infection, I think it's an antibacterial. Though I've never been infection free long enough to start it. I've had sepsis twice because of this palaver... grrrr
May I ask you how you managed to obtain getting hiprex? I've had uti's on and off since having children and my doctor throws antibiotics at me that I've tried and have tried saying a million times over that they categorically aren't helping me. I've asked to be put on hiprex/cephalexin and they refuse and say that my dipstick and lab cultures are fine. I have done a lot of research recently and a lot of women are having the same issues. Speaking to my doctor is like getting blood out of a stone and the urologist isn't much better. It's common knowledge that dipsticks and lab cultures are not accurate. I heard you can get hiprex over the counter but it is hard and virtually impossible for chemists to hand out? As a mum this is driving me crazy as I can't seem to live my life and be the best parent to my kids constantly having pain and problems 😫

• Heart
May I ask you how you managed to obtain getting hiprex? I've had uti's on and off since having children and my doctor throws antibiotics at me that I've tried and have tried saying a million times over that they categorically aren't helping me. I've asked to be put on hiprex/cephalexin and they refuse and say that my dipstick and lab cultures are fine. I have done a lot of research recently and a lot of women are having the same issues. Speaking to my doctor is like getting blood out of a stone and the urologist isn't much better. It's common knowledge that dipsticks and lab cultures are not accurate. I heard you can get hiprex over the counter but it is hard and virtually impossible for chemists to hand out? As a mum this is driving me crazy as I can't seem to live my life and be the best parent to my kids constantly having pain and problems 😫
Oh dear @Missnosey22 im so sorry to hear you are having such problems. I know exactly what you're going through. I have antibiotics thrown at me left right & centre also. Plus my symptoms have just got worse & worse. The antibiotics really upset my tummy, feel very sick, no appetite, very sore tummy and upset tummy with them and oral thrush thrown in too.
I got my prescription of hiprex from my renal consultant, however I haven't been able to start it as I've not yet become free of uti.
Had an operation on one kidney last week with stents left in, to get stents out in 3 weeks then operation on the other kidney in 3 months. Couldn't both be done at the same time for cross contamination risk and my risk of being under anaesthetic for longer than 1 and 1/4 hrs.
My own dr actually retired, I needed an appointment, so saw one of the newer GP's to the practice and have to say he has been amazing, ordered various tests & also the urologist. My renal consultant put every problem down to my kidneys as my operation been cancelled 3 times already, twice to uti and then a stomach bleed. Making out it was my fault the ops had to be rescheduled, even though it clearly was not.
I feel like I've not helped you here at all. I would say try another GP, plus stand your ground. Over the last 2 years I've been hospitalised so many times, but I've now learned that being quiet & not voicing your concerns gets you nowhere, I am still polite but take no nonsense/patter from them when I know my body.
I hope you get relief, take care of yourself x

Reactions: 2
Oh dear @Missnosey22 im so sorry to hear you are having such problems. I know exactly what you're going through. I have antibiotics thrown at me left right & centre also. Plus my symptoms have just got worse & worse. The antibiotics really upset my tummy, feel very sick, no appetite, very sore tummy and upset tummy with them and oral thrush thrown in too.
I got my prescription of hiprex from my renal consultant, however I haven't been able to start it as I've not yet become free of uti.
Had an operation on one kidney last week with stents left in, to get stents out in 3 weeks then operation on the other kidney in 3 months. Couldn't both be done at the same time for cross contamination risk and my risk of being under anaesthetic for longer than 1 and 1/4 hrs.
My own dr actually retired, I needed an appointment, so saw one of the newer GP's to the practice and have to say he has been amazing, ordered various tests & also the urologist. My renal consultant put every problem down to my kidneys as my operation been cancelled 3 times already, twice to uti and then a stomach bleed. Making out it was my fault the ops had to be rescheduled, even though it clearly was not.
I feel like I've not helped you here at all. I would say try another GP, plus stand your ground. Over the last 2 years I've been hospitalised so many times, but I've now learned that being quiet & not voicing your concerns gets you nowhere, I am still polite but take no nonsense/patter from them when I know my body.
I hope you get relief, take care of yourself x
Thanks for your advice and help. In my experience, these GP's haven't a clue and aren't educated or have enough knowlege when it comes to uti's. I had to beg them to be referred to a urologist as they were beating around the bush and saying I was too anxious and worrying too much or that I didn't have anything wrong, and that the antibiotics would help which they haven't. My urologist isn't seeming to be much help either and when I try and call the doctors they say I need to speak and wait for the urologist which isn't great. I'm considering looking at Dr Malone-Lee's clinic in London and even saving up to be properly seen by someone who may actually listen to my concerns. I'm sorry to hear you're also going through hell at the moment, that sounds awful. I'm glad that they're being more helpful with you and getting to the bottom of your uti's and the causes. It's frustrating that gp's rely on dipsticks and lab cultures which have been proven to be ineffective. As women we have enough to deal with and uti's are just one of the worst. Best of luck to you too 🤞🏻

• Heart
Reactions: 2
Looking for any advice if anyone has any seen a few of you having similar issues on here. For years since having my daughter I've always had a bit of an overactive bladder not diagnosed but I just got on with it. It stayed the same never got any worse. So I'm used to going alot but 6 weeks ago I noticed pain when going to the toilet. After that I noticed I had the constant urge to go even straight after going I thought something isn't right. Couple days past i went to the doctors they tested me and said I was showing infection in my urine. I thought great things are gonna get better. I didn't feel any relief at all until the last day of antibiotics but I still didn't feel normal just my urges were less intense and I could hold on for longer. Few days past i called the doctors again they gave me more antibiotics, didn't make a difference. In the mean time I've been trying all sorts of remedies with no luck. D mannose, probiotics, oregano oil, pumpkin seed oil. I purchased some urine test strips and have tested every day since and they always show I have high white blood cells in my urine. Got my boyfriend to test to see if they were always showing the same result but they wasnt as his were clear. Had a doctors appointment recently which they made me bring a sample with me which was done hours before I don't get why they didn't just make me do one there, but they tested it and said it's completely fine but they will send it off to the lab any way. Again completely fine. I'm just baffled as to what is going on as the only symptom I have is a nearly constant urge to urinate. I don't have the pains, burning or anything to do with a uti. But I'm showing white blood cells still every day. Is this still an infection that hasnt gone away or has my bladder just suddently got worse. Although it's not as severe as the beginning something is not right and it's affecting me badly everyday. What's weird aswell is I have good and bad days. Some days I can cope well and it's not bothered me much other days are hell and I'm constantly on the toilet. Called the doctors again because I just don't even know what to do anymore 😪

Looking for any advice if anyone has any seen a few of you having similar issues on here. For years since having my daughter I've always had a bit of an overactive bladder not diagnosed but I just got on with it. It stayed the same never got any worse. So I'm used to going alot but 6 weeks ago I noticed pain when going to the toilet. After that I noticed I had the constant urge to go even straight after going I thought something isn't right. Couple days past i went to the doctors they tested me and said I was showing infection in my urine. I thought great things are gonna get better. I didn't feel any relief at all until the last day of antibiotics but I still didn't feel normal just my urges were less intense and I could hold on for longer. Few days past i called the doctors again they gave me more antibiotics, didn't make a difference. In the mean time I've been trying all sorts of remedies with no luck. D mannose, probiotics, oregano oil, pumpkin seed oil. I purchased some urine test strips and have tested every day since and they always show I have high white blood cells in my urine. Got my boyfriend to test to see if they were always showing the same result but they wasnt as his were clear. Had a doctors appointment recently which they made me bring a sample with me which was done hours before I don't get why they didn't just make me do one there, but they tested it and said it's completely fine but they will send it off to the lab any way. Again completely fine. I'm just baffled as to what is going on as the only symptom I have is a nearly constant urge to urinate. I don't have the pains, burning or anything to do with a uti. But I'm showing white blood cells still every day. Is this still an infection that hasnt gone away or has my bladder just suddently got worse. Although it's not as severe as the beginning something is not right and it's affecting me badly everyday. What's weird aswell is I have good and bad days. Some days I can cope well and it's not bothered me much other days are hell and I'm constantly on the toilet. Called the doctors again because I just don't even know what to do anymore 😪
Have you told your doctor that you’ve been testing the samples yourself and getting high readings of WBC in the urine?? Ask to be given copies of all of your test results that the Dr have on file so you can take a look, to see what they are looking at. You should be able to see the infection clearing in the samples as you’ve taken the antibiotics.

Have you told your doctor that you’ve been testing the samples yourself and getting high readings of WBC in the urine?? Ask to be given copies of all of your test results that the Dr have on file so you can take a look, to see what they are looking at. You should be able to see the infection clearing in the samples as you’ve taken the antibiotics.
No i didn't as I thought they would just dismiss it and not take notice and say that what they use is going to be most accurate. Do you think I should be telling them then? I'm going to ask for another test at my next appointment, that's done straight away not hours later.

Did you ever find out what was the cause for this? I hope you don't mind me asking! I have been experiencing similar issues and am starting to lose my mind over it!! 😩

• Sad
Did you ever find out what was the cause for this? I hope you don't mind me asking! I have been experiencing similar issues and am starting to lose my mind over it!! 😩
Not professionally no but I think I figured out what was going on myself. So I was still having the urgency and frequency but negative for utis, a doctor prescribed me tolterodine which done nothing for me not even any bad side effects. I spoke to my doctor again and he said about trying bladder retraining. I had heard of this before but always thought it wouldn't work and there should be easier ways. Anyway I gave it a shot and the first few weeks were hard but it's literally changed my life. I went from peeing up to 30 times a day to now 6/7. What i think happened was where I already had a weak bladder that needed to go all the time to then getting a really intense uti it made my urgency worse as I was going even more often if that makes sense and it just stuck. It is crazy that the less you go the less urge you have to go. I have the odd bad day I need to go more than others but other than the bladder retraining I have controlled what and how much I drink, i do pelvic floor exercises and still take the pumpkin seed extract. Its a horrible horrible feeling it made me feel so low and I hope you find some answers or relief soon. Are your urine tests coming back clear? If you haven't already do give bladder retraining a shot I know it might not work for everyone if there is deeper issues etc. When I was at my worst I worried so much that I had interstitial cystitis but I think my oab originally began from bad habits and weakened pelvic floor. I hope your situation can be resolved without all these medications and stuff. Good luck! X

• Heart
Not professionally no but I think I figured out what was going on myself. So I was still having the urgency and frequency but negative for utis, a doctor prescribed me tolterodine which done nothing for me not even any bad side effects. I spoke to my doctor again and he said about trying bladder retraining. I had heard of this before but always thought it wouldn't work and there should be easier ways. Anyway I gave it a shot and the first few weeks were hard but it's literally changed my life. I went from peeing up to 30 times a day to now 6/7. What i think happened was where I already had a weak bladder that needed to go all the time to then getting a really intense uti it made my urgency worse as I was going even more often if that makes sense and it just stuck. It is crazy that the less you go the less urge you have to go. I have the odd bad day I need to go more than others but other than the bladder retraining I have controlled what and how much I drink, i do pelvic floor exercises and still take the pumpkin seed extract. Its a horrible horrible feeling it made me feel so low and I hope you find some answers or relief soon. Are your urine tests coming back clear? If you haven't already do give bladder retraining a shot I know it might not work for everyone if there is deeper issues etc. When I was at my worst I worried so much that I had interstitial cystitis but I think my oab originally began from bad habits and weakened pelvic floor. I hope your situation can be resolved without all these medications and stuff. Good luck! X
Thank you so much for your response, it's good to know that it isn't just me that is having/have had this issue. My urine tests are coming up clear now for the infection, I did have a blood test and they told me I have raised white blood cells but this was when I was on antibiotics.

I think my plan is to go back to the doctors and get them to do a swab test of the area to rule out other infections (i have read that urethitis can be caused by a uti) and maybe see if they will do a scan to see if my bladder looks normal? Currently it's not really hurting anymore jusr feel like I need a wee most of the time 😮💨. I will give bladder retaining a go in the meantime. Thank you