Racism Discussions

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
IMG_20191111_155901.png

This is the alarming message I received when I pointed out kalechis behaviour to a insta mummy advocating her reinstatement on Instagram. It's prejudice not racism....😲 So kalechis behaviour is apparently acceptable.....

MOD edit, moving this to a new topic so people can debate it as most on the thread have said they don't believe the original account the thread was on was racist.

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Wow
Reactions: 12
View attachment 56463
This is the alarming message I received when I pointed out kalechis behaviour to a insta mummy advocating her reinstatement on Instagram. It's prejudice not racism....😲 So kalechis behaviour is apparently acceptable.....
I was called a white piece of tit by some girls at school once (for no apparent reason other than walking past them). That was racism pure and simple.

• Sad
  • Haha
Reactions: 26
View attachment 56463
The father of her baby is white. I’m guessing he washes otherwise she wouldn’t be with him. it’s such a strange insult.

Last edited:
Reactions: 6
Racism and prejudice are both awful and horrible. It’s not okay to call someone a black witch, nor a white witch. However it is true racism is more than just being a dick to someone of a different skin colour to you. There is a power balance and social inequality to racism that as white people we don’t experience, even if someone calls us a derogatory name based on our skin colour.

• Heart
  • Angry
Reactions: 58
Racism and prejudice are both awful and horrible. It’s not okay to call someone a black witch, nor a white witch. However it is true racism is more than just being a dick to someone of a different skin colour to you. There is a power balance and social inequality to racism that as white people we don’t experience, even if someone calls us a derogatory name based on our skin colour.
Oh absolutely. It's not black and white (so to speak!). I do, though, think that a blanket statement like "there's no such thing as racism towards white people" is damaging.

Gosh, who knew Alice's chat would spark such in depth discussions...

Reactions: 11
Oh absolutely. It's not black and white (so to speak!). I do, though, think that a blanket statement like "there's no such thing as racism towards white people" is damaging.

Gosh, who knew Alice's chat would spark such in depth discussions...
I was called a white piece of tit by some girls at school once (for no apparent reason other than walking past them). That was racism pure and simple.
Really interesting comments!

Yes it's the statement " racism against white people doesn't exist" that shook me. Of course it can. If a group of people gang up on a person and make reference to their race in order to belittle the. Then I call that racism.

• Haha
Reactions: 12
Ok so as a white person myself I understand I need to listen to others about what constitutes racism.
That video by Kelechi about “white people smelling” etc doesn’t have to be regarded as racist anyway. Irrespective of being racist or not racist, because of other remarks within it, that video was offensive to people with mental health problems and from what I remember it threatened violence.

I watched the video but will admit I was half asleep. Im certain I heard her say something about how anyone with a mental health problem shouldn’t be a midwife. I think I also heard her say something about hitting someone and knocking their teeth out. The whole thing sounded a bit delusional and seemed to be accusing Clemmie of killing black babies at Kings (again I was half asleep so perhaps someone can clarify this)?

surely that’s enough to have a video removed from Instagram? Surely? It would actually have been better all round if the video were still up though so we could focus on what was actually said. Most of the Insta Huns have admitted they haven’t even seen the video but that didn’t stop them whipping up tensions did it

Reactions: 4
Yes the wording sounds like if a white person is abused for the colour of their skin it’s not the same as a POC being abused for their skin, if I understand correctly in isolation yes it’s the same BUT the descriptive wording is not, as we live in a society that works in favour of white people and does not treat POC equally. It is confusing.. I started writing this knowing what I’m trying to say but it’s actually hard to put into words 🤔

Reactions: 7
Ok so as a white person myself I understand I need to listen to others about what constitutes racism.
That video by Kelechi about “white people smelling” etc doesn’t have to be regarded as racist anyway. Irrespective of being racist or not racist, because of other remarks within it, that video was offensive to people with mental health problems and from what I remember it threatened violence.

I watched the video but will admit I was half asleep. Im certain I heard her say something about how anyone with a mental health problem shouldn’t be a midwife. I think I also heard her say something about hitting someone and knocking their teeth out. The whole thing sounded a bit delusional and seemed to be accusing Clemmie of killing black babies at Kings (again I was half asleep so perhaps someone can clarify this)?

surely that’s enough to have a video removed from Instagram? Surely? It would actually have been better all round if the video were still up though so we could focus on what was actually said. Most of the Insta Huns have admitted they haven’t even seen the video but that didn’t stop them whipping up tensions did it

Yep, she said all that. However on her grid she talks about how she's written about struggling with mental health problems.

All the comments from the insta Huns about Instagram blocking freedom of speech are absolute bullshit. Instagram silenced Kelechi because what she was saying was inflammatory and hateful

Reactions: 5
Correct me if I'm wrong but when people say racism against white people doesn't exist, they back that up with there not being any institutional/systemic racism against white people. But isn't that just a type of racism? Racism definition: ''prejudice, discrimination, or antagonism directed against someone of a different race based on the belief that one's own race is superior.'' Black people sure as hell can believe they are better than white people, and the definition doesn't mention systems or institutions.

Also, white people may benefit most in some western counties but not in other non-western countries. Do these people still argue racism against white people doesn't exist in these countries where white people don't hold the power? I'm genuinely curious here, not trying to start any fights.

Reactions: 21
Correct me if I'm wrong but when people say racism against white people doesn't exist, they back that up with there not being any institutional/systemic racism against white people. But isn't that just a type of racism? Racism definition: ''prejudice, discrimination, or antagonism directed against someone of a different race based on the belief that one's own race is superior.'' Black people sure as hell can believe they are better than white people, and the definition doesn't mention systems or institutions.

Also, white people may benefit most in some western counties but not in other non-western countries. Do these people still argue racism against white people doesn't exist in these countries where white people don't hold the power? I'm genuinely curious here, not trying to start any fights.
I think this is why it's such a complex issue and it isn't right to accuse people of racism unless it's absolutely clear they are being racist. Let me just qualify this by saying that I know that some POC do suffer the most appaling racism and that it it should be condemned absolutely.

With regards to white privilege, however is that I think the term is very unhelpful. As far as I understand, it refers to the very particular (and definitely very real) day to day experience of being perceived as 'different.' I so wish that there were a better way to refer to this issue because it's a very divisive term and I can see why people rail against it. It's easy to interpret is as being that all white people have privilege that all black people do not, which of course isn't true. It must be very frustrating to feel as though you're being lectured by journalists, celebs, instagrammers etc as to your privilege when you're a worker in a pub in a seaside town, or some other terribly deprived area

I also see it as being very reductive because it presumes, as I said in the other thread, that all white people are a homogeneous group and the same of non white people. Some of the worst racism I've been witness to has been between black and Asian people. Who is more privileged there? Is there not an imbalance if a wealthy black person is racist about eastern European migrants?

Also, what about the daily struggles of those who are disabled, or gay. When I was a student and got into activism, identity politics was seen as a really bad thing, because we need to work together if we're going to make improvements for everyone.

I do think that people are trying to be better, on the whole. That's why I hate this cancel culture. I don't doubt that MOD is a bit of a knob but I'm certain she isn't a racist.

Reactions: 10
Yeah I do think classism is often overlooked for racism. Often where people see racism, it's actually classism. I saw a horrible tweet by a black man recently saying he would never give money to a white homeless person and was laughing/saying the white person deserved to be homeless if they couldn't make use of their ''privilege''. So many other factors come into class, not just race. And poverty amongst white people is often jeered at (''white trash'' etc).

What annoys me most is the level of hypocrisy in these race discussions. People will lose their mind over someone saying ''they (black people)'' do so-and-so (and of course I agree you should never generalise) but it's perfectly okay to make generalisations about white people, you see them ALL the time - including white people smell lol.

As you said, other races can be just as racist as anyone, but they get no tit for it, all the blame just falls on white people. I saw a Youtube video the other day of someone reacting to a horribly racist Asian commercial, depicting black men in a horrible way, but of course all the comments were just about how scummy white people are - and coincidentally, about how they all stink. White people don't hold the power in Asia or the Middle East so I really don't understand this.

I totally agree that we should all be working together.

Reactions: 8
White privilege is a thing - it means my life isn’t harder purely because of the colour of my skin. What it doesn’t mean is that I’ve never had a bad thing happen to me and life is easy and I’ve never had to work for anything. There are POC who are more well off than me, are better educated BUT I still have white privilege because my skin colour doesn’t make my life harder, I don’t have racism to contend with.

• Heart
There’s a difference between racism and privilege. Whether you’re a white person, a black person, a green or a purple person, if you say something nasty or treat someone differently because of the colour of their skin, that’s racist. End of.

However that’s not to say that white privilege isn’t a thing; it is. But if someone of a different race for example won’t give a white person (or a blue person or a polka dot person) a job because of the colour of their skin, that’s racist regardless of privilege.

Reactions: 5
View attachment 56463

MOD edit, moving this to a new topic so people can debate it as most on the thread have said they don't believe the original account the thread was on was racist.

This is the problem though, right? POC can say whatever they like about white people because we are all racists pieces of tit and racism against white people isn't a real thing. They are permitted to generalize about white people and say nasty ass tit, but as soon as a white persons says that someone is being aggressive, even when are actually are being aggressive, it's racist. Surely, the way to change the world isn't to start by shitting all over it. If you want to engage with white people and ask them to be advocates you don't start out by insulting everything about them. There are boatloads of white people going to bat every bleeping day for POC because they truly care about changing the world around them. But they're not on their instagram soapbox shouting about it so we're all pieces of tit white trash. duck right off. Advocates don't shout about their advocacy, they just plug along trying to make a difference. All of these instahuns, regardless of color, are just in this for the likes/ego and the cash/freebies. They give no shits about the world around them, Bandwagon mentatlity.

• Heart