Racism Discussions

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I don’t recall white people not washing being a common saying that affects white people’s lives

That you know of. Mainly because if they mentioned it they'd be shot down and it trivialised.
Oh come on. Racism affects people getting jobs, education, maternal outcomes, police treatment to name but a few things. How on earth is this the same?? When has what this bizarre woman said ever been something that actually is that far reaching??

Reactions: 10
It seems that in the case of CH comment about CB she will always be called a racist for describing someone's personality but it's fine for a p.o.c colour to insult or make fun of a whole group of people for having white skin?

And yes, I know p.o.c have it a million times worse than white people. That I wont deny, But it can't be one rule for one and not for another. That's not what equality is.
Exactly- POC have it a million times worse, so it already is not equal, which is why there SHOULD be different rules...to try and achieve equality.

• Angry
Reactions: 4
It seems that in the case of CH comment about CB she will always be called a racist for describing someone's personality but it's fine for a p.o.c colour to insult or make fun of a whole group of people for having white skin?

And yes, I know p.o.c have it a million times worse than white people. That I wont deny, But it can't be one rule for one and not for another. That's not what equality is.
Just because it’s not classed as racism doesn’t mean it’s ok. You’re misunderstanding what I’ve said. I’ve not said it’s fine. I’ve said it’s rude, prejudiced etc. It’s just not systemic enough to be racism. Still wrong though.

Reactions: 5
My view is that a lot of “racism” actually doesn’t stem from discrimination based on skin colour. Rather from different cultural nuances of behaviour. The problem is that often white people hold the positions of power, so their accepted methods of “the way to behave” is held as the standard and any deviation from that is considered less than.

Interesting example. I really don’t consider myself to be racist. I work in property. I had a house available to let in London and people were fighting me for this house. It was really reasonably priced and so there was a huge demand for it.

One of the applicants for this house rang me prior to viewing it several times. She was SO RUDE on the phone. She was “aggressive” (oh dear can of worms), demanding, and pushy. I thought (in advance of the property viewing) “no way am I giving it to her, she’ll be a horrible demanding tenant”.

My business partner (and actual partner lol) was the one who carried out the viewings. He is Jamaican. He came back from a day of showing this house to tell me about all the applicants and said “I want us to give it to that woman. Hear me out. She’s our tenant”. I thought “shut your face” 😂😂. He said that he too had found her really rude at first, but that she had this adorable daughter and was the most doting and adorable parent and lovely person. When he got to speaking to her he realised she was Nigerian; Yoruba Nigerian (I actually now have a really close Yoruba Nigerian male friend now who could give you all the knowledge). He explained that this lady was really nervous about finding a home for her and her daughter and that she’d been continually rejected (big surprise) by other landlords [I could have told her why - she would have said it was “racism” - which it was but not for the reasons she believed] and her apparent rudeness was nerves and this was culturally how Yoruba Nigerians expressed themselves when stressed (I know I sound like a white “Becky” in this explanation but I’m typing and it’s quite hard to put across in a message forum).

Long story short, I listened to my partner and gave in. She is the most beautiful tenant. I was interpreting her nerves as rudeness.

My point is, white people often get called racist when they receive behaviour as “unacceptable” by their standards. And POC call out white people as being racist for not understanding what they are trying to communicate.

I love a black man. Like he is me. I am ashamed to say racism matters more to me since I am in a relationship with a POC because it feels like all of a sudden I (my guy) is the target of offence. And yet I would have still dismissed this person as being rude (she was by “English” standards).

Racism is so real. I’m blonde and have never struggled. Being with a black man I’ve been trailed by the police, tutted at by old men on trains being next to him and watch the shift in how the world views me being beside him once my “access all areas pass” has been taken away.

I think CB IS aggressive. Listen to her podcast lol. She is! But I also think she’s experienced racism. I don’t think we have enough info based on what MOD typed to decide if she is racist or right or both. Everything is grey! Everything needs balance.

• Heart
Reactions: 36
Saying a black person is “weaponising their race” because they share their experience of life as a black person, is racist. Fact.

Reactions: 8
My view is that a lot of “racism” actually doesn’t stem from discrimination based on skin colour. Rather from different cultural nuances of behaviour. The problem is that often white people hold the positions of power, so their accepted methods of “the way to behave” is held as the standard and any deviation from that is considered less than.

Interesting example. I really don’t consider myself to be racist. I work in property. I had a house available to let in London and people were fighting me for this house. It was really reasonably priced and so there was a huge demand for it.

One of the applicants for this house rang me prior to viewing it several times. She was SO RUDE on the phone. She was “aggressive” (oh dear can of worms), demanding, and pushy. I thought (in advance of the property viewing) “no way am I giving it to her, she’ll be a horrible demanding tenant”.

My business partner (and actual partner lol) was the one who carried out the viewings. He is Jamaican. He came back from a day of showing this house to tell me about all the applicants and said “I want us to give it to that woman. Hear me out. She’s our tenant”. I thought “shut your face” 😂😂. He said that he too had found her really rude at first, but that she had this adorable daughter and was the most doting and adorable parent and lovely person. When he got to speaking to her he realised she was Nigerian; Yoruba Nigerian (I actually now have a really close Yoruba Nigerian male friend now who could give you all the knowledge). He explained that this lady was really nervous about finding a home for her and her daughter and that she’d been continually rejected (big surprise) by other landlords [I could have told her why - she would have said it was “racism” - which it was but not for the reasons she believed] and her apparent rudeness was nerves and this was culturally how Yoruba Nigerians expressed themselves when stressed (I know I sound like a white “Becky” in this explanation but I’m typing and it’s quite hard to put across in a message forum).

Long story short, I listened to my partner and gave in. She is the most beautiful tenant. I was interpreting her nerves as rudeness.

My point is, white people often get called racist when they receive behaviour as “unacceptable” by their standards. And POC call out white people as being racist for not understanding what they are trying to communicate.

I love a black man. Like he is me. I am ashamed to say racism matters more to me since I am in a relationship with a POC because it feels like all of a sudden I (my guy) is the target of offence. And yet I would have still dismissed this person as being rude (she was by “English” standards).

Racism is so real. I’m blonde and have never struggled. Being with a black man I’ve been trailed by the police, tutted at by old men on trains being next to him and watch the shift in how the world views me being beside him once my “access all areas pass” has been taken away.

I think CB IS aggressive. Listen to her podcast lol. She is! But I also think she’s experienced racism. I don’t think we have enough info based on what MOD typed to decide if she is racist or right or both. Everything is grey! Everything needs balance.
This is such a good explanation. Much much better than I could have done. I just end up getting frustrated. I've got mixed race children and I've had some bloody horrible stuff said to me about being white and having a black ex. Funnily enough since moving to Wales they don't see the kids skin colour but I only get a lot of tit about being English now.

• Heart
Reactions: 9
Oh come on. Racism affects people getting jobs, education, maternal outcomes, police treatment to name but a few things. How on earth is this the same?? When has what this bizarre woman said ever been something that actually is that far reaching??
I'm just saying that because you haven't seen it or experienced it, you can't say that it hasn't happened. I mean obviously it happens less than other races, but you can't say for definite that it hasn't or doesn't happen.

The whole racism thing in the media is out of control. If you read some stories they state that MOD has been racially abusing people for 8 months, it’s laugable!

It reminds me of the scenes in extras when Andy millman accidentally insults a teenager with Down’s syndrome and in every single media story it gets worse and worse “Andy Millman punches Down syndrome boy in the face” it’s ridiculous (but a great episode, if you haven’t seen it, watch it!).

This is the exact reason I would not want to be in the media, social media influencer, instahun, yummy mummy blogger, instawanker etc etc it just cannot be worth the free milk / discount codes! You have to be on your A game the whole time.

Like others have said, if you play with fire, expect to get burned. This goes for all the other instamums. They are all out with their pitchforks, bumming up to the other instamums but this month it’s CH, next month it’ll be someone else so I hope they aren’t too smug!

Reactions: 6
I'm just saying that because you haven't seen it or experienced it, you can't say that it hasn't happened. I mean obviously it happens less than other races, but you can't say for definite that it hasn't or doesn't happen.
I’m not saying instances of prejudice against white people don't happen. They just don’t have the widespread impact that the years and years of systemic racism has. That’s what I mean.

Reactions: 8
Just because it’s not classed as racism doesn’t mean it’s ok. You’re misunderstanding what I’ve said. I’ve not said it’s fine. I’ve said it’s rude, prejudiced etc. It’s just not systemic enough to be racism. Still wrong though.
I agree CH was 100% in the wrong. She shouldn't have made any of the comments she did. Not in the position she was in.

I think we may have got our wires crossed. Sorry x

Reactions: 1
I agree CH was 100% in the wrong. She shouldn't have made any of the comments she did. Not in the position she was in.

I think we may have got our wires crossed. Sorry x
No worries. I think there’s probably multiple threads of thought here so it’s very easy to get tangled. X

yet Kelechi is allowed to call white women smelly with nobody able to see a problem with that!! Bizarre!
I reckon she knows she fucked up there. She’ll never get far saying stuff like that. And SHE has exposed her true feelings way more than MOD has. We know what she thinks!! But I do think this has been an exercise in showing how little effort the mainstream media put into vetting their stories lol. That’s pretty bad.

Reactions: 3
I completely agree with the original posters comment. Racism does happen to white people indeed, if a white person were to report racism to the police they would skim over it but the moment the tables are turned..

Racism in any form is disgusting and I have experienced white racial abuse. Yes, racism to white people isn't as bad as the other way around but it still is unacceptable and goes under the carpet.

Here is an example that if the roles were reversed and the comment said 'angry old -- men', mumsnetters would go crazy and the thread would be taken down.

https://tattle.life/threads/19920/

Reactions: 2
I have a lot of Irish in my family tree and racism (as in systematic, institutional racism) for the Irish has only diminished (not extinguished) in living memory in the UK (and probably areas of the US too). They’re all white. Racism is more than skin colour. I was actually shook to tears recently on researching my family tree and finding an article on British Newspaper Archives where my ancestors came over to England for work at harvest, and were “permitted” to sleep in the barn. A group of English men from the village broke into the barn and raped one of my ancestors as she was holding her baby and threw a brick at her husband causing his eye to fall out onto his cheek. All because they were Irish. You see similar hostility for white Eastern Europeans. That is racism.

I agree with whoever said it is more of a cultural issue. It’s one of the big problems of multiculturalism- where a community isn’t culturally homogenous there’s bound to be conflict, especially where groups are easily identified by appearance, dress or accent.

Another consideration in that outside of cities and large towns - the “rest of the country” where the majority of the population live - POC are single figure %age minorities. From a white person’s perspective the privilege they receive is just a numbers game rather than a racist endeavour.

Reactions: 7
Reading this thread with interest! One thing I did notice is that it is the privileged white liberal social justice warriors who have created the bulk of this confusion. These are university students from prosperous (overwhelmingly white) households, being fed a steady diet of identity politics and Oppression Olympics narratives, where oppression is almost fetishised and white guilt is assuaged by getting them to scream angrily at their elders. They don’t work, don’t have kids or families, they live in a holier than thou bubble and worst of all they speak for people of colour, gays and lesbians, exploited Third World women etc. instead of elevating the voices of the oppressed and supporting them with concrete measures. They indulge themselves in quizzes that ‘score” their privilege and oppression (obviously the dullest white kids with purple hair and unicorn genders tend to score as most highly oppressed). All the while, people of colour, the poor, victims of DV etc are nowhere to be seen because they’re too busy trying to survive and help each other out. Many white people help too, incidentally they never feel a need to promote themselves on social media. In this ridiculous call out culture naturally some people of colour take advantage of these “oppressed person can do no wrong” beliefs in order to justify never apologising for their mistakes or bad behaviour. A number of times I saw black women calling out such a person, only to be themselves accused of racism and prejudice by mostly white kids, which is beyond ridiculous. So what I’m trying to say is, the privileged have created a naval-gazing, self-congratulatory psychodrama around the issue of racism and privilege, in order to justify maintaining the status quo. And the loudest among them will discard their piercings, dye their hair their natural colour, buy a house in Hampshire and vote Tory by the time they are 30 thus making things worse for people of colour for yet another generation.

Reactions: 7
I completely agree with the original posters comment. Racism does happen to white people indeed, if a white person were to report racism to the police they would skim over it but the moment the tables are turned..

Racism in any form is disgusting and I have experienced white racial abuse. Yes, racism to white people isn't as bad as the other way around but it still is unacceptable and goes under the carpet.

Here is an example that if the roles were reversed and the comment said 'angry old -- men', mumsnetters would go crazy and the thread would be taken down.

https://tattle.life/threads/19920/
I honestly don't know why you decided to force this thread to start up again when it had all died down.

I also don't understand how as a new member you have privatised you're Tattle account. But I'll message admin to find out.

• Haha
Reading this thread with interest! One thing I did notice is that it is the privileged white liberal social justice warriors who have created the bulk of this confusion. These are university students from prosperous (overwhelmingly white) households, being fed a steady diet of identity politics and Oppression Olympics narratives, where oppression is almost fetishised and white guilt is assuaged by getting them to scream angrily at their elders. They don’t work, don’t have kids or families, they live in a holier than thou bubble and worst of all they speak for people of colour, gays and lesbians, exploited Third World women etc. instead of elevating the voices of the oppressed and supporting them with concrete measures. They indulge themselves in quizzes that ‘score” their privilege and oppression (obviously the dullest white kids with purple hair and unicorn genders tend to score as most highly oppressed). All the while, people of colour, the poor, victims of DV etc are nowhere to be seen because they’re too busy trying to survive and help each other out. Many white people help too, incidentally they never feel a need to promote themselves on social media. In this ridiculous call out culture naturally some people of colour take advantage of these “oppressed person can do no wrong” beliefs in order to justify never apologising for their mistakes or bad behaviour. A number of times I saw black women calling out such a person, only to be themselves accused of racism and prejudice by mostly white kids, which is beyond ridiculous. So what I’m trying to say is, the privileged have created a naval-gazing, self-congratulatory psychodrama around the issue of racism and privilege, in order to justify maintaining the status quo. And the loudest among them will discard their piercings, dye their hair their natural colour, buy a house in Hampshire and vote Tory by the time they are 30 thus making things worse for people of colour for yet another generation.
I think everyone, regardless of race, is guilty of viewing social issues through their own looking glass. The types you describe just make it a million times worse by controlling the narrative and curating a false version of reality. Think the media is pretty bad for that, too.

I honestly don't know why you decided to force this thread to start up again when it had all died down.

I also don't understand how as a new member you have privatised you're Tattle account. But I'll message admin to find out.
You obviously have some kind of chip on your shoulder and think that racism works one way. Sorry girl but racism works both ways. The truth is if the words were reversed and that thread on mumsnet read 'angry old - men' it would've been deleted immediately. Call me racist and play the racism card, I hate racism both ways and it does work both ways. So get off of your high horse.

Reactions: 2
I've got a genuine question for the admins of this site... Ban me if you wish but why is it that racial comments keep being made against white people in a hostile or unpleasant tone and the comment stays up, yet if the roles were swapped it would be removed immediately and I would be banned. I've seen twice at least within the space of a month some hostile comments made about white people and called someone out on their comment to have mine removed but theirs staying up. Racism is racism in any shape or form which I don't condone, but it can happen to white people too. Please admins, think about the comments being posted here as personally I find them offensive, you can ban me if you wish to appease snowflakes, but is this not a place to air our views and what's on our mind surely?