Racism Discussions

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I think it’s becoming apparent that we are no longer able to call out anything anymore . If it involves a marginalised group of people it’s best to avoid saying anything on the public domain . I’d love to elaborate more but it turns into a tit show . MOD has learned the hard way .

• Heart
Reactions: 24
I think it’s becoming apparent that we are no longer able to call out anything anymore . If it involves a marginalised group of people it’s best to avoid saying anything on the public domain . I’d love to elaborate more but it turns into a tit show . MOD has learned the hard way .
Yup, always been pretty much a one way street that one. Avoid at all costs.

Reactions: 8
But what’s being said here repeatedly is exactly what MOD said. That POC use their race as a weapon so you can’t say anything. :rolleyes: But all I’m trying to stress is you can’t necessarily comment on someone’s feelings/reactions when you’ve never had to experience things from their perspective. And not to be surprised if they find it hurtful and prejudiced.

Yup, always been pretty much a one way street that one. Avoid at all costs.
I can’t understand this woe is me attitude to having to think about what you say vs the institutionalised and pervasive racism that people have to suffer in pretty much all aspects of life. It’s been a ‘one way street’ for them most of the time.

• Heart
Reactions: 16
I agree entirely with this. Although a completely and utterly different ball game entirely from insta-wankers the reports into the Rotherham grooming gangs (and Rochdale etc) looked at why no one shone a light onto the perpetrators earlier although they knew who they were and in many cases differing authorities were frightened to highlight who the perpetrators were because of their race and the backlash that would cause. They should have been called out on it right from the get go but they were allowed to get away with grooming and raping 1400 girls for many reasons including because no-one dared to shine a spotlight on the actions of a group of men from a particular race.
Anyway, back to the SODs!

• Angry
  • Heart
Reactions: 21
She wasn't trivialising anything. 🙄she said that CB was aggressive and brought it back to race when she was called on it, in my opinion she didnt say she did it because of her race, she did it because of her personality. How is it racist of it's true? Like I said before, are we supposed to be afraid to call out rude, obnoxious, aggressive behaviour because someone has a different skin colour to us, in fear of being called racist. You can dislike someone for their personality and not what they look like.

Edited because I can't concentrate on two things at once lol
I think the trivialising part is about her having had CB on the podcast talking about an important race issue e.g. she gave weight to discrimination against POC. That's what makes it so bad IMO. CH presented herself as an ally but then behind CB's back said she just used race as a weapon.

Reactions: 4
I think the trivialising part is about her having had CB on the podcast talking about an important race issue e.g. she gave weight to discrimination against POC. That's what makes it so bad IMO. CH presented herself as an ally but then behind CB's back said she just used race as a weapon.
She was on the podcast a long time after that one comment, maybe mod changed her opinion?

But what someone personally thinks of someone and talking about a serious topic is a bit different. The podcast is a work environment, but it is a mess as it's also using her personality 🥴

Reactions: 6
She was on the podcast a long time after that one comment, maybe mod changed her opinion?

But what someone personally thinks of someone and talking about a serious topic is a bit different. The podcast is a work environment, but it is a mess as it's also using her personality 🥴
Sure - MOD may have changed her opinion - I can't know that. But I can see why CB is upset by it because racism is an issue that is so often dismissed, and it might now feel as if MOD was just talking about the issue simply to get woke points/tick a box for diversity on her podcast. That might be okay if it was a trivial issue...but it's not.

Reactions: 5
But what’s being said here repeatedly is exactly what MOD said. That POC use their race as a weapon so you can’t say anything.
I didn't think MOD said POC, she said CB (rightly or wrongly) it wasn't to all POC/WOC. MOD has been misquoted.

Reactions: 10
But all I’m trying to stress is you can’t necessarily comment on someone’s feelings/reactions when you’ve never had to experience things from their perspective
I completely agree although I think that in this context some of the defensiveness comes from the fact that if any white person tries to identify or talks about their own experiences of inequality or discrimination then they're told that they can't join in...that it couldn't ever be as bad. I'm uncomfortable with the suffering one upmanship. Yes, white people don't know what it's like to experience being a POC, but neither does an able bodied POC know what it is to live every day as severely disabled for example.

Reactions: 12
I completely agree although I think that in this context some of the defensiveness comes from the fact that if any white person tries to identify or talks about their own experiences of inequality or discrimination then they're told that they can't join in...that it couldn't ever be as bad. I'm uncomfortable with the suffering one upmanship. Yes, white people don't know what it's like to experience being a POC, but neither does an able bodied POC know what it is to live every day as severely disabled for example.
Yes you could argue round in circles with this one .

Indeed. Intersectionality is important. I just felt the two instances I was comparing there were clearly disparate.

I'm pretty sure we've all worked with people we don't like at some point in out lives? If CB didn't want to be on the podcast I'm sure she'd of declined. She's not backwards in coming forward is she?

Yes you could argue round in circles with this one .
I know I'll get crucified for this, there are many instances of white people experiencing racism. I mean, look at those posts last week about how they don't wash etc. Or does that not count?

Reactions: 11
I'm pretty sure we've all worked with people we don't like at some point in out lives? If CB didn't want to be on the podcast I'm sure she'd of declined. She's not backwards in coming forward is she?
When she accepted to be on the podcast, she obviously wasn't aware MoD had been slagging her off behind her back.

I know I'll get crucified for this, there are many instances of white people experiencing racism. I mean, look at those posts last week about how they don't wash etc. Or does that not count?
I don’t think one apparently rude woman saying on Instagram white people don’t wash really counts as racism but is definitely prejudiced. Tbh it’s so ridiculously bizarre I couldn’t even be mad at that. Racism is generally now accepted to mean more than that, it’s about the larger systemic, institutionalised problems. White people don’t really suffer those for their race (might do for class and other reasons).

Reactions: 11
It's a nasty comment based on skin colour. But racism (as I see it) takes into account power structures, and we live in a world where having white skin gives you a privilege.

I don’t think one apparently rude woman saying on Instagram white people don’t wash really counts as racism
So saying something about all white people isn't racist, but one white person calling one aggressive person that happens to be black definitely is (in your opinion). 😳

• Heart
So saying something about all white people isn't racist, but one white person calling one aggressive person that happens to be black definitely is (in your opinion). 😳
No, I was explaining the way the term racism is used, that’s not my ‘personal’ definition. Black women being ‘angry’, people calling out racism when it suits etc are common expressions/beliefs that face POC all the time. I don’t recall white people not washing being a common saying that affects white people’s lives

Reactions: 3
I don’t think one apparently rude woman saying on Instagram white people don’t wash really counts as racism but is definitely prejudiced. Tbh it’s so ridiculously bizarre I couldn’t even be mad at that. Racism is generally now accepted to mean more than that, it’s about the larger systemic, institutionalised problems. White people don’t really suffer those for their race (might do for class and other reasons).
It seems that in the case of CH comment about CB she will always be called a racist for describing someone's personality but it's fine for a p.o.c colour to insult or make fun of a whole group of people for having white skin?

And yes, I know p.o.c have it a million times worse than white people. That I wont deny, But it can't be one rule for one and not for another. That's not what equality is.

Reactions: 7
No, I was explaining the way the term racism is used, that’s not my ‘personal’ definition. Black women being ‘angry’, people calling out racism when it suits etc are common expressions/beliefs that face POC all the time. I don’t recall white people not washing being a common saying that affects white people’s lives
I don’t recall white people not washing being a common saying that affects white people’s lives

That you know of. Mainly because if they mentioned it they'd be shot down and it trivialised.

Reactions: 1