Questions for those who have been through menopause

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Apparently doctors get half a day learning about the menopause, throughout their entire medical training

Reactions: 1
None of the good ones do. All these celebrities discussing the menopause go privately, fucks me right off. I don't have an issue with them going private, I have an issue with the idea that all women have the same access when they don't. Anyway job for today is to email my MP about the appalling menopause service GPs provide
Yes it annoys me too as they’re getting better treatment because they can afford it. Davina for instance makes out her regime is common place but you can only get her regime going private (and it’s not cheap).

Although I do wonder how many women have gone to their GP’s asking for what all these celebs talk about only to be told ‘sorry,not on the NHS’.

Yes it annoys me too as they’re getting better treatment because they can afford it. Davina for instance makes out her regime is common place but you can only get her regime going private (and it’s not cheap).

Although I do wonder how many women have gone to their GP’s asking for what all these celebs talk about only to be told ‘sorry,not on the NHS’.
I was offered anti depressants and I quote ' that's the recommended treatment for your symptoms' A quick look at NICE guidelines told me that anti depressants are specifically not advised for menopausal symptoms. The fuckers couldn't be arsed to keep up with something affecting 50% of his patients

Reactions: 2
Hi there, I'm looking for some advice, iv recently been diagnosed with uterine fibroids, my options are chemical menopause or a hysterectomy.
I’m 100% sure I’m not doing the chemical menopause and I’m 50/50 about the hysterectomy, does anyone have any experience of this ? Thanks 😊

Hi there, I'm looking for some advice, iv recently been diagnosed with uterine fibroids, my options are chemical menopause or a hysterectomy.
I’m 100% sure I’m not doing the chemical menopause and I’m 50/50 about the hysterectomy, does anyone have any experience of this ? Thanks 😊
No but a friend was advised to have a hysterechtomy in her early 40's on the basis that it would be far easier to recover at that age than in her 60's.

No but a friend was advised to have a hysterechtomy in her early 40's on the basis that it would be far easier to recover at that age than in her 60's.
Did she have the hysterectomy?? If so how was she afterwards?? I’m 48. Thank you

Did she have the hysterectomy?? If so how was she afterwards?? I’m 48. Thank you
Yes she did, now in her 60's and very happy she had it done then, but that is one persons experience. It is quite a major operation and recovery so maybe the question you should ask your consultant is what the chances are of having to potentially have the hysterectomy at a later date. If there is a good chance you'll need it at some point anyway I'd say the younger the better (assuming you don't want any/more children)

OK, I've just done a quick skim and apparently once you are through menopause they usually go because they need Estrogen and Progesterone to grow however if you think you might want HRT (and I would say definitely don't rule it out) they can stick around as they are still getting theiir fix.

Last edited:
Yes she did, now in her 60's and very happy she had it done then, but that is one persons experience. It is quite a major operation and recovery so maybe the question you should ask your consultant is what the chances are of having to potentially have the hysterectomy at a later date. If there is a good chance you'll need it at some point anyway I'd say the younger the better (assuming you don't want any/more children)

OK, I've just done a quick skim and apparently once you are through menopause they usually go because they need Estrogen and Progesterone to grow however if you think you might want HRT (and I would say definitely don't rule it out) they can stick around as they are still getting theiir fix.
Hey, iv got the hospital on the 21st 🥴

I’ve had (presume still have) 3 fibroids (intramural, ubserosal and submucosal) and was offered uterine ablation and radio frequency. They were diagnosed after I complained of lower back pain and two randomly heavy periods. By the time they gave me an appointment both symptoms had gone so I didn’t bother, because the idea really freaked me out. Hysterectomy was never an option, but now I’m on HRT so I expect they will become symptomatic again at some point. I don’t know your age, or what type you have but I wonder why only those two options? Also do you have severe bleeding? Sorry to ask but I’m also wondering myself now!

I’ve had (presume still have) 3 fibroids (intramural, ubserosal and submucosal) and was offered uterine ablation and radio frequency. They were diagnosed after I complained of lower back pain and two randomly heavy periods. By the time they gave me an appointment both symptoms had gone so I didn’t bother, because the idea really freaked me out. Hysterectomy was never an option, but now I’m on HRT so I expect they will become symptomatic again at some point. I don’t know your age, or what type you have but I wonder why only those two options? Also do you have severe bleeding? Sorry to ask but I’m also wondering myself now!
Hi I’m 48, iv had really heavy bleeding for a few years now. I need to wear a towel and tampons and changing every hour for the first two -three days, back and side pain, feeling I’m taking my periods every day, my womb is enlarged to 12cms iv got a large fibroid 8cm in top of my womb another large fibroid at the back and lots of smaller cluster fibroids scattered, the past six months iv really struggled mentally around the time of my periods iv been a nightmare to live with, iv lost total interest in everything that I loved, thinking my husband is having an affair with his work colleague, crying for no reason, I’m not sure if it’s all connected or not. Im scared if I get a hysterectomy I’ll become an even more crazy person or if I decline it will I stay this way 🥴

Hi I’m 48, iv had really heavy bleeding for a few years now. I need to wear a towel and tampons and changing every hour for the first two -three days, back and side pain, feeling I’m taking my periods every day, my womb is enlarged to 12cms iv got a large fibroid 8cm in top of my womb another large fibroid at the back and lots of smaller cluster fibroids scattered, the past six months iv really struggled mentally around the time of my periods iv been a nightmare to live with, iv lost total interest in everything that I loved, thinking my husband is having an affair with his work colleague, crying for no reason, I’m not sure if it’s all connected or not. Im scared if I get a hysterectomy I’ll become an even more crazy person or if I decline it will I stay this way 🥴
Oh bless you, that’s sounds terrible. Well I’m on HRT prematurely (perimenopause) because I was a homicidal maniac for over a year. My periods are fine, and I’m still ovulating normally but my mental health decline is very much hormonal. I had two weeks pre-bleeding where I was honestly dangerous to be around and was feeling very hopeless and suicidal. I know you said you don’t want to go down the chemical hormone route, but it’s been an absolute godsend for me. I’m totally calm now and feel so much more like me again after only two months. I’m not naive to the risks, but right now I need to be able to function as a normal human being so that outweighs the potential future side effects. Is it worth giving it a try yourself? It’s far less drastic than a hysterectomy.

Reactions: 3
Those are symptoms of peri menopause

Those are symptoms of peri menopause
It’s progressively getting worse, every month there’s something different going on in my head, I literally don’t think I can go on like this, it’s flaring up all sorts of triggers from my past

Oh bless you, that’s sounds terrible. Well I’m on HRT prematurely (perimenopause) because I was a homicidal maniac for over a year. My periods are fine, and I’m still ovulating normally but my mental health decline is very much hormonal. I had two weeks pre-bleeding where I was honestly dangerous to be around and was feeling very hopeless and suicidal. I know you said you don’t want to go down the chemical hormone route, but it’s been an absolute godsend for me. I’m totally calm now and feel so much more like me again after only two months. I’m not naive to the risks, but right now I need to be able to function as a normal human being so that outweighs the potential future side effects. Is it worth giving it a try yourself? It’s far less drastic than a hysterectomy.
Thank you for sharing your experience, I really feel I can’t keep doing this as it’s progressively getting worse and I fear everyone I care and love will run for the hills, I’m questioning everything about my husband I don’t know if I’m imagining things or they are really there 🥴

Last edited:
I have recently started using Agnus castus and it is really helping me feel less anxious, I was sceptical but am feeling and sleeping so much better

It’s progressively getting worse, every month there’s something different going on in my head, I literally don’t think I can go on like this, it’s flaring up all sorts of triggers from my past

Thank you for sharing your experience, I really feel I can’t keep doing this as it’s progressively getting worse and I fear everyone I care and love will run for the hills, I’m questioning everything about my husband I don’t know if I’m imagining things or they are really there 🥴
I can’t speak for your husband because I don’t know but I can guarantee most of what you’re feeling is hormonal. The paranoia, insecurity and general feeling of being broken is absolutely crippling and leads you to believe all kinds of crazy things. I always knew mine was perimenopause because my fibroids were caused by excessive exercising and all of a sudden I had all manner of issues for one supposedly so fit. Also there was absolutely nothing else going on in my life that was causing me such crippling anxiety (I’ve never ever been an anxious person in my life). Ironically that has gone now too. I’m not ready for menopause yet, although my grandmother was only 45, my GP was great in understanding my fears for what an early menopause would do to my body (not fertility-wise, but it leads to a significant risk of many diseases). I really hope you find the right solution, I genuinely understand how unbearable it is and I’m not even part way through the real hell. Many find a combination of antidepressants and HRT incredibly beneficial. Sucks to be female 😫

I have recently started using Agnus castus and it is really helping me feel less anxious, I was sceptical but am feeling and sleeping so much better
Another great supplement is maca root. I used to swear by it before I started oestrogen. You do have to be careful if you have ever had high oestrogen/BC links, but it’s fantastic for anxiety, increasing energy and endurance and most importantly it sends your libido into overdrive.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2
@ginger tea You're symptoms are 100% peri menopause. My advice is to get on a facebook page and start to read other womens experiences, start to diarise everything that is going on in your body check a list of peri symptoms for guidance, weigh yourself everyday for a month or 2 and a pattern will emerge. Once you see the pattern it does become much easier to manage yourself. Sit your family down and tell them what is happening and apologise for any hurtful things that you may have said/done. It's tit but the more you know yourself the better you can get through it

@ginger tea You're symptoms are 100% peri menopause. My advice is to get on a facebook page and start to read other womens experiences, start to diarise everything that is going on in your body check a list of peri symptoms for guidance, weigh yourself everyday for a month or 2 and a pattern will emerge. Once you see the pattern it does become much easier to manage yourself. Sit your family down and tell them what is happening and apologise for any hurtful things that you may have said/done. It's tit but the more you know yourself the better you can get through it
I did try to manage mine for a year before I had to give in to professional help and I’m a lot younger. Holding down my job was the hardest part.

I don’t know if this belongs in here, I’m 42 but since I turned 40 I bleed every time I have sex and my periods have gone from being regular to not. Have been investigated for everything, been told I’m not perimenopausal and advised to go on the pill to help - it just made me bleed more so came off. Has anyone else has this?

I don’t know if this belongs in here, I’m 42 but since I turned 40 I bleed every time I have sex and my periods have gone from being regular to not. Have been investigated for everything, been told I’m not perimenopausal and advised to go on the pill to help - it just made me bleed more so came off. Has anyone else has this?
Sorry to be graphic, but do you itch? And do you use lube? If peri and STI’s have been ruled out I would say it may be vaginal dryness, which is common in your 40s onwards.

The problem with the test they use for Peri is that once you are in Peri, no matter what your age, it's next to useless. I really wish Drs would understand this. Peri is the period when your hormones start fluctuating madly and sporadically so you need a few tests at different points in your cycle.
@ouroboros absolutely. I sold my business thinking it was causing my problems, then got a job and quit that too. 6 months later I realised it was hormonal, absolute shite. I'm just picking myself up from those catastrophic decisions 5 years on

Last edited: