Protests in Paris

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Allez les bleus. If the English woke up and got off their arses and did something like this maybe the state would actually listen to us. The French wouldn’t accept paying 3000 a quarter for their electric.

• Heart
Reactions: 20
The British will unfortunately always accept crumbs and be grateful for it- no fight in them whatsoever. Having spoken to a friend this morning, the police are being very heavy handed.

Reactions: 10
Such an interesting topic, and unsurprisingly lots of the discourse around it is misleading. The whole issue of pensions provided by the state is a very complicated issue and it's important to get right to reduce the widening generational inequality as it's been going the wrong way for a long time.

I have a lot to say, but no time at the moment so I'll leave it as this as I find actual data useful:
2atkqc4p0wu81.png

Reactions: 5
Pleased to find this topic, I'm due to travel next weekend to Paris and still planning on it but am interested to see others thoughts and opinions.

Reactions: 3
Pleased to find this topic, I'm due to travel next weekend to Paris and still planning on it but am interested to see others thoughts and opinions.
Are you King Charles?

(in all seriousness, I hope things get resoleved peacefully and you can still go)

• Haha
Reactions: 8
The problem is how do you unwind the Ponzi scheme that pensions are?

The systems were set up decades ago based on a very different world. Medicine has changed everything and there was a large number of working people supporting a small amount that didn't work.

There were over 3 people working for everyone retired, now it's about 1.18 people working for everyone retired in France all while people are living far longer. And soon enough there'll be more people retired than working at the current trajectory.

It would be lovely if everyone could have 20 years in retirement, but the number of working people isn't enough to support that .

Blue collar jobs were lost decades ago, white collar jobs are now being lost with AI. The workforce is ever changing and has an uncertain future.

The French system is one of the most generous and one that people can claim far earlier.

People have a right to be annoyed as they were sold a false promise. Retirement is going back to how it's always been; the privilege of a select few at the top.

It really does cut that people at the bottom of the pyramid are paying for lifestyles of those at the top that they'll never get, but sadly that's the inevitability of pyramid schemes.

Most people in France will know a couple of people that took retirement in their 50s where they owned a nice property outright and had enough money for regular new cars and multiple holidays a year in retirement. It's very understandable to be furious that you will never have that. And that also the gap between the have nots and have yachts continues to widen. The French political system is very elitist. Égalité 😆, that was never fixed after the guillotine.

Look what happened with Greece and their pensions. If something risks economic collapse then everyone will suffer if it isn't reformed to be sustainable.

Violence and damage is never the answer, but I've no idea what is for a situation like this in our globalised world. I certainly don't agree with the way it's been pushed through and the lack of consultation, but it sadly often happens like this when problems are kicked down the road for a long time.

The systems were set up decades ago based on a very different world. Medicine has changed everything and there was a large number of working people supporting a small amount that didn't work.

There were over 3 people working for everyone retired, now it's about 1.18 people working for everyone retired in France all while people are living far longer. And soon enough there'll be more people retired than working at the current trajectory.
It doesn't help when an ever increasing number expect a state pension upon retirement but haven't contributed anything towards one.

People who haven't worked in their lives and claim benefits, those that have been in and out of prison all their lives are entitled to a state pension at retirement age. These are just two examples of the increasing 'self entitled'. Yet their contributions 'stamp' towards their pension have been funded by everyone else.

How is this sustainable?

I fear State pensions will eventually become means tested. If you have an adequate private pension, you will not get a state pension, nor any other state funded perks such as bus passes.

Reactions: 4
How is this sustainable?
The unsustainability of the system is one of the very few things that all economists agree on.

A whole generation is taking out on average €1.40 for every €1 they paid in and future generations expect this inballance to continue.

It would be lovely if everyone could have 20 years in retirement, but the number of working people isn't enough to support that .

Blue collar jobs were lost decades ago, white collar jobs are now being lost with AI. The workforce is ever changing and has an uncertain future.

The French system is one of the most generous and one that people can claim far earlier.

People have a right to be annoyed as they were sold a false promise. Retirement is going back to how it's always been; the privilege of a select few at the top.

It really does cut that people at the bottom of the pyramid are paying for lifestyles of those at the top that they'll never get, but sadly that's the inevitability of pyramid schemes.

Most people in France will know a couple of people that took retirement in their 50s where they owned a nice property outright and had enough money for regular new cars and multiple holidays a year in retirement. It's very understandable to be furious that you will never have that. And that also the gap between the have nots and have yachts continues to widen. The French political system is very elitist. Égalité 😆, that was never fixed after the guillotine.

Look what happened with Greece and their pensions. If something risks economic collapse then everyone will suffer if it isn't reformed to be sustainable.

Violence and damage is never the answer, but I've no idea what is for a situation like this in our globalised world. I certainly don't agree with the way it's been pushed through and the lack of consultation, but it sadly often happens like this when problems are kicked down the road for a long time.
The bit about seeing our parents/ grandparents generations getting 20 years of retirement, holidays and flash cars and young people now seeing that and thinking "well where is mine?", is sad. It will lead to young people thinking "what is the point?! I'll have to work forever and I might never get to own my home outright." It feels like there's nothing to motivate the young, our jobs are going, AI will take over to some extent, perhaps not Skynet /Terminator levels, but a lot of jobs will go. It sounds Victorian but I do think we will have a generation of people working till they drop, at this rate. But how can you work when your body is falling apart? 😔

I'm paying into a workplace pension plus my NI but I know that won't be enough. I've no inclination to be a manager, so I'll never be on a huge wage. I think I will have to start saving some more on top of that. There's no guarantee the government will pay out my NI when I get to that age, it's all a promise isn't it, but we can't be sure! Same with workplace pensions, are they really guaranteed to pay out for me in 35 years? Will they still be there? This is a wake up call to myself to save my own cash too.

I feel sick thinking about it to be honest. Things feel quite bleak for my generation (I am early 30s)

"well where is mine?", is sad. It will lead to young people thinking "what is the point?!
I think there's going to be civil unrest on a huge scale when people realise their time in the sun won't ever come.

I guess it's a reminder to make the most of every day, try to find a job you love. Don't live to work and wish away your life for a retirement that may never come.

I think there's going to be civil unrest on a huge scale when people realise their time in the sun won't ever come.

I guess it's a reminder to make the most of every day, try to find a job you love. Don't live to work and wish away your life for a retirement that may never come.
Definitely. Well if we get rid of retirement and we have to work longer than the least they can do is introduce 4 day work weeks, allowing people to enjoy life on a longer weekend 😂

• Haha