Princess Diana

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
It was an arranged marriage, Diana wasn't suited for that set up, but she should have been prepared.
Naive, immature, at the end she could play the game. Camilla and Charles certainly didn't give her second thought, I suppose there's a difference in riding someone and being in love. Probably the love part Diana had an issue with.

Reactions: 8
It was an arranged marriage, Diana wasn't suited for that set up, but she should have been prepared.
Naive, immature, at the end she could play the game. Camilla and Charles certainly didn't give her second thought, I suppose there's a difference in riding someone and being in love. Probably the love part Diana had an issue with.
Oh definitely, remember Charles let that one slip out at the engagement interview, when asked if they were in love, he replied "whatever love means". Diana eventually the red flags but like her siblings said her face was on the tea towels so it was too late to back out.

• Sad
Reactions: 7
Diana was portrayed as swanning about on boats with her fancy man whilst poor Charles was at home with the boys and the press HATED her for it because Dodi was 'a foreigner'... and then she died, partly due to press intrusion, and she suddenly became the people's princess and the sheep of the nation went mental with grief.

She'd have been Sarah Fergusson if she hadn't died.
---

• Heart
Reactions: 12
Diana was portrayed as swanning about on boats with her fancy man whilst poor Charles was at home with the boys and the press HATED her for it because Dodi was 'a foreigner'... and then she died, partly due to press intrusion, and she suddenly became the people's princess and the sheep of the nation went mental with grief.

She'd have been Sarah Fergusson if she hadn't died.
---
She was getting a lot of hate in the headlines, I remember tabloid said Princess Potty and then it was Goodnight Sweet Princess. 🙄

Reactions: 5
The grief was something else. Doubt we'll ever see that again. I think I remember reading people lost their minds when Princess Charlotte of Wales died.

Reactions: 4
The grief was something else. Doubt we'll ever see that again. I think I remember reading people lost their minds when Princess Charlotte of Wales died.
Some people lost their minds when Diana died. even those that didn't like her, like my mum, saw how tragic it was to die in your prime leaving 2 young children behind.

Reactions: 4
Some people lost their minds when Diana died. even those that didn't like her, like my mum, saw how tragic it was to die in your prime leaving 2 young children behind.
It's sad when someone dies and especially in such an horrific and unexpected way, but the outpouring of grief was a mania unlike anything I've ever seen. Totally bonkers.

It was the perfect storm for grief and lots of it. I think Williams wedding was probably the turning point letting people move on. It was crazy for years with documentaries and conspiracy theories.

Reactions: 3
Glad to see a different opinion on Diana. I have a real bee in my bonnet about something…

she hadn’t seen those boys for a MONTH before she died. H&W spoke in a documentary about how they missed her and would speak on the phone. Her boys needed her but she was too busy galavanting around Europe with her boyfriend.
When the media was becoming more and more frenzied why why why didn’t she just bunk down with her boys and focus on being their mum. They needed her. Instead she was sunbathing on yachts and going to the ritz. and it was Charles who was with them. If she had been home being a mum, she’d be alive
YES!!!

Oh definitely, remember Charles let that one slip out at the engagement interview, when asked if they were in love, he replied "whatever love means". Diana eventually the red flags but like her siblings said her face was on the tea towels so it was too late to back out.
I know it was a really sad situation, but that line about the tea towels is genius.

I think part of the OTT public and media grief surrounding Diana was from genuine shock. She was always in the papers at that time, so she felt very alive and present in everyday life, then suddenly she was gone.

Glad to see a different opinion on Diana. I have a real bee in my bonnet about something…

she hadn’t seen those boys for a MONTH before she died. H&W spoke in a documentary about how they missed her and would speak on the phone. Her boys needed her but she was too busy galavanting around Europe with her boyfriend.
When the media was becoming more and more frenzied why why why didn’t she just bunk down with her boys and focus on being their mum. They needed her. Instead she was sunbathing on yachts and going to the ritz. and it was Charles who was with them. If she had been home being a mum, she’d be alive
It was Charles time to have them (as they split child care) so she went on holiday with her BF nothing wrong with that!

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 11
Although it was the law, seat belt wearing in the 90s still wasn't the norm for many, especially in the back seat. I remember all the campaigns with crash test dummies showing what happens to back seat passengers in an accident. There was this sense the back seat was safer. Even more so with VIPs, even now I suspect many VIPs don't wear them when being driven.

As for Kate and Meghan, I think she would have liked Kate, especially as it was a love match and a long relationship and they didn't do what she and Charles did. Kate is also a quieter person and less into the limelight. Meghan I'm not sure, it was a pretty rushed relationship and I'm not sure the two egos would have worked together. Although if Diana was still alive harry probably wouldn't have met or marries meghan in first place
That's right, rear seatbelts didn't become law for adult passengers until 1991 and even then most people didn't understand why it was dangerous not to wear them in the back. If anyone remembers the public information film where a woman is killed by her son flying forward and cracking her skull - that aired in 1998 and led to an increase in wearing rear seatbelts, it was effective because so many people didn't realise that could happen

I agree she would have liked Kate. Not sure about Meghan ... maybe it would have still happened, but if Diana were alive Harry wouldn't feel such a desire to "rebel." She probably would have been satisfied if she believed they loved each other

Reactions: 9
I wish I’d kept them but on the way home from a party, early hours of the day she died I bought a pile of Sunday papers to enjoy with my hangover. They were all full of nasty Diana scandal with the magazines having long range shots of her and Dodi. By morning after news of her death was out and all those first editions were withdrawn and replaced with the Queen of Hearts second editions.

• Sad
  • Haha
Reactions: 14
Did Meghan inherit her jewellery?
She wouldn’t have inherited anything from Diana as neither her nor Kate were on the scene at that time.
William and Harry inherited and they have gifted some pieces to their wives.
Kate has her engagement ring obviously plus she wears a pair of Diana’s earrings regularly. Meghan wears her aquamarine ring and I think her Cartier watch, although I’m not 100% on the latter item.
It would be interesting to know if either couple were to split if the wives could keep the “gifted” jewellery or if they would have to be returned.

Reactions: 6
She wouldn’t have inherited anything from Diana as neither her nor Kate were on the scene at that time.
William and Harry inherited and they have gifted some pieces to their wives.
Kate has her engagement ring obviously plus she wears a pair of Diana’s earrings regularly. Meghan wears her aquamarine ring and I think her Cartier watch, although I’m not 100% on the latter item.
It would be interesting to know if either couple were to split if the wives could keep the “gifted” jewellery or if they would have to be returned.
Interesting. Diana is trending on twitter and I saw a few posts discussing her jewellery, I'd imagine it would be returned.

Reactions: 2
I think she knew too much about Andrew and considering her previous with the family, it seems too connected.
At the time none of that about Andrew was in the public domain
The things going on in Diana’s life was her relationship with dodi Al fayed and her work with land mines
I don’t believe the theory of she knew to much that’s why she had to be killed because she knew everything about that family from the moment she married Charles so why would they want to kill her because she knew to much when she had known everything for years and nothing happened
What was the sudden need to kill her because she knew to much
---
I’ve just been watching the current season of the crown, and if that is anything to go off of Dodi Al-Fayed security detail was completely overwhelmed, and not suitable to look after someone of Diana Princess of Wales status they were completely out of their depth.
What I have never understood is why she wasn’t given permanent ongoing close protection from Royal protection officers and Scotland Yard given her status and how much attention she received from the public and media also the fact that’s she was the future kings mother.
---
Also, why wasn’t she able to apply to the High Court for a injunction against the paparazzi that way, I would’ve only been able to take photographs of her while she was on a public duty not in her private life. I seems to remember Cheryl Cole having done the same because of press attention at the peak of her career and fame If she was able to obtain one why wasn’t Diana, Diana’s fame was of the scale compared to Cheryl’s.
---
I seem to remember a few months before she passed away she went to Tony Blair and pleaded with him to tell the media and paparazzi to ease off her, An his reply was that “sorry I can’t do that Rupert Murdoch is backing my government” just absolutely shocking

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: 3
At the time none of that about Andrew was in the public domain
The things going on in Diana’s life was her relationship with dodi Al fayed and her work with land mines
I don’t believe the theory of she knew to much that’s why she had to be killed because she knew everything about that family from the moment she married Charles so why would they want to kill her because she knew to much when she had known everything for years and nothing happened
What was the sudden need to kill her because she knew to much
---
I’ve just been watching the current season of the crown, and if that is anything to go off of Dodi Al-Fayed security detail was completely overwhelmed, and not suitable to look after someone of Diana Princess of Wales status they were completely out of their depth.
What I have never understood is why she wasn’t given permanent ongoing close protection from Royal protection officers and Scotland Yard given her status and how much attention she received from the public and media also the fact that’s she was the future kings mother.
---
Also, why wasn’t she able to apply to the High Court for a injunction against the paparazzi that way, I would’ve only been able to take photographs of her while she was on a public duty not in her private life. I seems to remember Cheryl Cole having done the same because of press attention at the peak of her career and fame If she was able to obtain one why wasn’t Diana, Diana’s fame was of the scale compared to Cheryl’s.
---
I seem to remember a few months before she passed away she went to Tony Blair and pleaded with him to tell the media and paparazzi to ease off her, An his reply was that “sorry I can’t do that Rupert Murdoch is backing my government” just absolutely shocking
Cheryl Cole took out the injunction years later (2011?) - but I think what happened in the interim is the phone hacking scandal by the media, which meant celebrities were more likely to be granted an injunction against press intrusion. See also Elton John, amongst others. Prior to that though, it wasn’t really an option.

Reactions: 1