Pregnancy + the vaccine

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I know it’s horrible 😭 I’m lucky enough because my husband works from home and I’m still furloughed because the industry I work in is still fucked 😭 we both decided that it would be best to shield as best possible as this baby is such a long time in coming 🙈
If he worked from home I would have tried to have held off 3 more months but it’s not going to happen. Us preggers ladies have been really let down with all this ☹

Reactions: 3
He just said it’s a very new vaccine which echoed my sentiments exactly. I will get the vaccine after the baby is born but until then I’m fortunate enough to be able to be at home and have very limited contacts
I’m quite surprised a GP would go against the current advice for pregnant women given the risks but your choice not to have it of course

I have booked my first dose of Pfizer after months of deliberating. I think the risks of catching covid and the reality of total isolation for 3 more months are just not in my favour any more. It’s been a really hard choice.
Yep these were my exact reasons too. I’d happily have shielded for my entire pregnancy but that’s pretty unrealistic tbh both from a practical and mental health perspective.

@footylass2021 i also totally understand where you’re coming from and I’d also argue from a data/statistic POV, that the flu vaccine probably isn’t as widely distributed annually as the Covid vaccine has been in 2021 so it’s very likely we haven’t seen or heard reporting of any side effects from that! I’m sure people experience some

I’m quite surprised a GP would go against the current advice for pregnant women given the risks but your choice not to have it of course
Well he knows my situation and knows I’m not back at work and husband working from home so 🤷🏼‍♀️ And it’s not really going against current advice as no medical professional here can seem to give a straight answer about it. Even in the maternity anybody that I have spoken to has said the same thing…. “Up to you”

Reactions: 4
I had the vaccine at 30 weeks. I’ve been teaching full time since March and have only just stopped today at 37 weeks. Not an easy decision but definitely the right one for me. No side effects etc and will have the 2nd dose soon after baby is born

• Heart
Reactions: 6
Just to clarify around the Moderna one and these click bait headlines about it being trialled. The Pfizer and Johnson one have already been trialled in pregnant women, up to 90k in the US. Moderna are simply running further studies on it which they should do anyway as part of the trial period which every vaccine has to go through!

America has declared vaccine misinformation one of the most important urgent issues to tackle and shut down. There’s so much of it. The NHS didn’t help matters by being so vague and non committal and overlooking pregnant women for so long.

The unvaccinated are variant factories.

At least now they’re coming out and saying get vaccinated, COVID and long COVID really isn’t something you want. A friend was undecided and what sealed it for her is when her GP said ‘if it was my wife, I’d want her to get vaccinated’. Up until then her midwifes and all health professionals said ‘it’s up to you, make your own mind up’. No wonder poor women didn’t want to, and then even sadder if they caught it.

I didn’t hesitate and I’m happy to say she’s now had the first dose.

Covid unlocking risk for pregnant women, say doctors https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-57840159

• Heart
I’m 23 weeks + 3 and double jabbed with Pfizer if anyone has any questions! Me and baby absolutely fine- I had my first before conceiving (we conceived 2 weeks after my first dose!) so there has been a bit of a delay but happy it’s done.

As for midwives telling women “it’s up to you”- this is what they should be doing; they shouldn’t be telling you yes or no. As horrible as it is that you have to make this big decision for yourself, the RCOG guidance states that it is the pregnant woman and pregnant woman’s decision alone to have the vaccine. Health professionals such as midwives, and actually doctors have the responsibility to ensure you have BALANCED information about the vaccine- the potential benefits and the potential risks.
I come from a background of nursing/maternity and am constantly amazed at the moment at the amount of times I’ve seen people say “my midwife said not to” “my GP stated not to” … I do feel like their own biases are shining through and that’s reflecting on pregnant women and it’s not on. Because that pregnant woman will pass that advice on to others, without all the information being passed on too.

For every GP saying no, there are ones saying yes. There are top Tommy’s professors urging pregnant women to have the vaccines.

Whatever decision you make is completely respected and the best for YOU and your baby but please please please make sure it is informed x

• Heart
Reactions: 9
I’m 23 weeks + 3 and double jabbed with Pfizer if anyone has any questions! Me and baby absolutely fine- I had my first before conceiving (we conceived 2 weeks after my first dose!) so there has been a bit of a delay but happy it’s done.

As for midwives telling women “it’s up to you”- this is what they should be doing; they shouldn’t be telling you yes or no. As horrible as it is that you have to make this big decision for yourself, the RCOG guidance states that it is the pregnant woman and pregnant woman’s decision alone to have the vaccine. Health professionals such as midwives, and actually doctors have the responsibility to ensure you have BALANCED information about the vaccine- the potential benefits and the potential risks.
I come from a background of nursing/maternity and am constantly amazed at the moment at the amount of times I’ve seen people say “my midwife said not to” “my GP stated not to” … I do feel like their own biases are shining through and that’s reflecting on pregnant women and it’s not on. Because that pregnant woman will pass that advice on to others, without all the information being passed on too.

For every GP saying no, there are ones saying yes. There are top Tommy’s professors urging pregnant women to have the vaccines.

Whatever decision you make is completely respected and the best for YOU and your baby but please please please make sure it is informed x
Agree with everything you’re saying!
I personally think a lot of people are hiding behind the “my midwife/gp said not to” as it almost seems like a “valid” reason rather than just saying they’re not choosing to get it. I suppose they’re worried about negativity from making that decision. Although I’m sure there are some rogue professionals who are giving their personal bias either way!

• Heart
I personally think a lot of people are hiding behind the “my midwife/gp said not to” as it almost seems like a “valid” reason rather than just saying they’re not choosing to get it. I suppose they’re worried about negativity from making that decision. Although I’m sure there are some rogue professionals who are giving their personal bias either way!
I’d be very surprised if people were hiding behind what their GP says…. My gp said to wait because my situation is different and I’m able to isolate. Do you honestly think people want to isolate and shield for months unless they had good reason? I will be getting the vaccine AFTER I have my child and at the moment I would rather wait 3 more months as I do not want anything risking the health of a child I have being trying for for years

Reactions: 2
But why should a pregnant woman (or anyone) have to give a reason valid or otherwise as to why they have decided against it? And why should there be any negativity for that decision? My understanding was that taking the vaccine came down to personal choice (pregnant or not) and yet it seems a proportion of society is not in agreement with that anymore....

Reactions: 5
I’d be very surprised if people were hiding behind what their GP says…. My gp said to wait because my situation is different and I’m able to isolate. Do you honestly think people want to isolate and shield for months unless they had good reason? I will be getting the vaccine AFTER I have my child and at the moment I would rather wait 3 more months as I do not want anything risking the health of a child I have being trying for for years
There will be a lot opposite to you that won’t isolate and won’t get the vaccine and hide behind “my gp said not to” because they don’t want judgey people calling them out on it or getting into an argument. I’ve seen a fair few comments on my pregnancy page with the disclaimer “if you’ve had the vaccine I don’t want your opinion” or such like, because they don’t want to hear it.

I’m not saying you’re making the wrong decision, or anyone else is, you’re doing what’s best for your family and that’s fine by me ☺ I didn’t mean for my comment to come across in the way you’ve read it so I apologise for not being more clear.

But why should a pregnant woman (or anyone) have to give a reason valid or otherwise as to why they have decided against it? And why should there be any negativity for that decision? My understanding was that taking the vaccine came down to personal choice (pregnant or not) and yet it seems a proportion of society is not in agreement with that anymore....
I don’t think they should have to give a reason - I should have made that clear! But lots of people will think they do and so it’s easier for them to say “my midwife said not to” than have people ask for their reasons. You know what people are like! I’m all for people making an informed choice ☺ I apologise for not being clearer!

• Heart
There will be a lot opposite to you that won’t isolate and won’t get the vaccine and hide behind “my gp said not to” because they don’t want judgey people calling them out on it or getting into an argument. I’ve seen a fair few comments on my pregnancy page with the disclaimer “if you’ve had the vaccine I don’t want your opinion” or such like, because they don’t want to hear it.

I’m not saying you’re making the wrong decision, or anyone else is, you’re doing what’s best for your family and that’s fine by me ☺ I didn’t mean for my comment to come across in the way you’ve read it so I apologise for not being more clear.

I don’t think they should have to give a reason - I should have made that clear! But lots of people will think they do and so it’s easier for them to say “my midwife said not to” than have people ask for their reasons. You know what people are like! I’m all for people making an informed choice ☺ I apologise for not being clearer!
I agree with you that many people seem to expect a reason. And the funny thing is two years ago most of us wouldn't have dreamed of asking personal medical questions of each other....but here we are. I decided against getting it a number of weeks ago. Now cases are rising in Ireland and there is massive push on the vaccine from the government and media. And in the last few weeks not only have family and friends questioned my decision ( having previously accepted it without a thought) but random half friends have taken it upon themselves to question and comment 😂 it doesnt bother me really because it's such a topical thing at the moment, and I strongly believe in freedom of choice to get the vaccine or not get it, but I find it interesting to observe how our behaviour and approaches have changed so dramatically in such a short space of time. Its interesting that anytime I meet a pregnant woman now at appointments etc the first question is always "have you got the vaccine???" Followed swiftly by "and why not?????"
Thank you for explaining and I was very interested in your response.

• Heart
Reactions: 5
I agree with you that many people seem to expect a reason. And the funny thing is two years ago most of us wouldn't have dreamed of asking personal medical questions of each other....but here we are. I decided against getting it a number of weeks ago. Now cases are rising in Ireland and there is massive push on the vaccine from the government and media. And in the last few weeks not only have family and friends questioned my decision ( having previously accepted it without a thought) but random half friends have taken it upon themselves to question and comment 😂 it doesnt bother me really because it's such a topical thing at the moment, and I strongly believe in freedom of choice to get the vaccine or not get it, but I find it interesting to observe how our behaviour and approaches have changed so dramatically in such a short space of time. Its interesting that anytime I meet a pregnant woman now at appointments etc the first question is always "have you got the vaccine???" Followed swiftly by "and why not?????"
Thank you for explaining and I was very interested in your response.
It’s crazy how becoming a parent somehow makes people think they can ask you all sorts of intimate questions that they wouldn’t usually! Im sorry you’ve experienced family and friends who feel the need to weigh in on your decision!

I’ve u turned on having the vaccine while pregnant and booked myself in because the cases are getting really high around me. I’m still worried about it. Can anyone whose had it tell me how far along they were and how the felt after? I keep reading such conflicting info and can’t decide if I’m doing the right thing

Reactions: 4
I’ve u turned on having the vaccine while pregnant and booked myself in because the cases are getting really high around me. I’m still worried about it. Can anyone whose had it tell me how far along they were and how the felt after? I keep reading such conflicting info and can’t decide if I’m doing the right thing
I had mine 3 days before I knew I was pregnant at 4 weeks. I just had a banging headache and felt sick 24 hours after and it was gone after a lie in and rest the next day.
My second vaccine I had nothing other than a bit of a dead arm at 13 weeks.

I also had the Astra Zeneca one.

Not pregnant 1st, had the shivers/tired, lasted 24 hours if that (Astra Zeneca)
9 weeks (maybe 10) with the second, dead arm, but fine
Was more the the flu jab x

I had mine last week and 27 weeks. All fine. My arm ached for 2 days and that’s it.
i did the same as you, I was a no ill wait but covid is rife so I did it.

Had pfizer at 14 weeks, had a very minor pain in my injection sit for two days. Then on day 4 I had a bad headache that lasted around 5 days. Nothing was clearing it so did ring 111 for advice but lots of fluids flushed it out. Been feeling baby move since then 😌