Pregnancy #9 we love carbs

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Aw bless you, I think if there’s anything you can do to help you feel less anxious in pregnancy then definitely do it!
when you say you’re getting your NT done privately... is that just being done by another scan?
Yes I had my first 12 week scan done today (at 14 weeks🙄) it’s a very basic scan they don’t check heart rate or anything and the NT isn’t included, in fact I can’t even get an anomaly scan because I am “low risk” 😡 so to put my mind at ease and so my husband can be included, Iv booked a private NT scan for this Friday. It’s still so unfair that the fathers can’t be included during this part of the journey

• Sad
Reactions: 6
Hello all. I’m nearly ten weeks, I really don’t understand this 10+2, 8+4 etc dating stuff. In fact I don't really understand anything much about this pregnancy malarkey at all 🤣
I’m 45, first baby, totally unplanned and still in shock. It’s not that I actively didn’t want kids, just that it seemed something that was for others, not for me. A foreign concept.

I thought due to my age and endometriosis and the fact that for various reasons we only have sex about twice a month there was no chance of pregnancy, turns out I was wrong 🥴

I had a dating scan as I literally had no idea when my last period was, I felt such a wally telling the midwife. I was bracing myself for the menopause! Next I’m having a Harmony test - pricey but worth it to me for the peace of mind (or not) given my age. I know there’s so much can go wrong at this early stage (worry wart? Me?) so I’m not really embracing or even accepting my pregnancy yet. I know you won’t judge me.

My midwife told me to stay away from mumsnet so I’m glad I found this nice thread with so much good advice. I can relate to a lot of what you’re all saying - I found myself googling ‘when does pregnancy become fun’ the other day, as the insomnia, nausea and food aversion sucks.

I’ve also been on the COVID vaccine merry go round, being passed around like a pass the parcel. But due to some high profile reporting of the fact us pregnant women have been overlooked by the system, it seems the NHS is finally getting its act together. The online booking now tells us to talk to our GP who will ensure we get Pfizer or moderna. I’m waiting for them to call me back but I accept it’s a learning curve for all. Still a pretty bad oversight though.

Oh and I’m another Southmeader 🙂

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 19
Hello all. I’m nearly ten weeks, I really don’t understand this 10+2, 8+4 etc dating stuff. In fact I don't really understand anything much about this pregnancy malarkey at all 🤣
I’m 45, first baby, totally unplanned and still in shock. It’s not that I actively didn’t want kids, just that it seemed something that was for others, not for me. A foreign concept.

I thought due to my age and endometriosis and the fact that for various reasons we only have sex about twice a month there was no chance of pregnancy, turns out I was wrong 🥴

I had a dating scan as I literally had no idea when my last period was, I felt such a wally telling the midwife. I was bracing myself for the menopause! Next I’m having a Harmony test - pricey but worth it to me for the peace of mind (or not) given my age. I know there’s so much can go wrong at this early stage (worry wart? Me?) so I’m not really embracing or even accepting my pregnancy yet. I know you won’t judge me.

My midwife told me to stay away from mumsnet so I’m glad I found this nice thread with so much good advice. I can relate to a lot of what you’re all saying - I found myself googling ‘when does pregnancy become fun’ the other day, as the insomnia, nausea and food aversion sucks.

I’ve also been on the COVID vaccine merry go round, being passed around like a pass the parcel. But due to some high profile reporting of the fact us pregnant women have been overlooked by the system, it seems the NHS is finally getting its act together. The online booking now tells us to talk to our GP who will ensure we get Pfizer or moderna. I’m waiting for them to call me back but I accept it’s a learning curve for all. Still a pretty bad oversight though.

Oh and I’m another Southmeader 🙂
Hi! Firstly, congratulations! What a surprise for you! How far along are you?
if I’m honest, I never knew when my period was before I thought about babies, I couldn’t tell you how long it had been so I get that 😂 10 + 2 basically means you’re 10 weeks and 2 days pregnant.
how did your harmony test go? Yep, there’s no right or wrong Way to be about your pregnancy in terms of enjoying it or embracing it etc!

• Heart
Reactions: 2
^ ah thank you! You have to be 10 weeks + for the Harmony, so another anxious wait til I can get it done, it’s booked though. And then another anxious wait for the results... and then I’m sure plenty more anxious waits 🤣 I’m starting to think that’s all pregnancy is!

The only good thing is that with age I’m getting better at controlling my worry and taking things one day at a time. But thanks for the lovely welcome everyone, I’m sure I’ll be spending a lot of time perusing this thread and picking your wise brains.

Reactions: 4
God I forgot how crappy iron tablets make you feel 🤮🤮 won't be making the mistake of taking them on an empty stomach again 😭 currently hiding in the toilet instead of starting my shift because I'm very scared I'm going to projectile vomit over everything 🤣

• Sad
Reactions: 3
Been awake since 4am. Infertility and miscarriage really do make subsequent pregnancies difficult.

28 weeks now and husband says we need to start emptying the spare room for the nursery- have no desire to have any reminders that we might get to bring a baby home soon ☹

Weirdly though, I’ve been happy to buy stuff off Amazon recently but that’s because I can keep it in the box in the garage. Having things in the house seems too real.

Spoke to my midwife about my anxieties and she said ‘oh, don’t worry everyone gets scared’ and changed the subject 🤦‍♀️

• Heart
Reactions: 12
Been awake since 4am. Infertility and miscarriage really do make subsequent pregnancies difficult.

28 weeks now and husband says we need to start emptying the spare room for the nursery- have no desire to have any reminders that we might get to bring a baby home soon ☹

Weirdly though, I’ve been happy to buy stuff off Amazon recently but that’s because I can keep it in the box in the garage. Having things in the house seems too real.

Spoke to my midwife about my anxieties and she said ‘oh, don’t worry everyone gets scared’ and changed the subject 🤦‍♀️
Sorry to hear you’re going through this - it must be so tough to finally relax and enjoy being excited. Prenatal anxiety is very real so please don’t let this one midwife fob you off - your feelings are valid and absolutely deserve to be heard. I’m not sure if there’s someone else you could speak to, perhaps your GP, or if you have access to counselling at all, but maybe a few sessions would help process things. My friend is currently getting some counselling through her fertility clinic after losses and somebody else I know also accessed some through Tommy’s. I know when I feel overwhelmed trying to break down the process helps. Take baby steps, just focus on doing the next thing (ie having a bit of a sort out in the room for the sake of spring cleaning, say) rather than the whole bigger picture of having a baby living in there. Be gentle with yourself ❤

Such an idiot! I baked some chocolate muffins earlier this morning and have just realised I ate a spoonful of cake mix (super nutritious start to the day). One tiny bit of raw egg won’t hurt right?!

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 7
Sorry to hear you’re going through this - it must be so tough to finally relax and enjoy being excited. Prenatal anxiety is very real so please don’t let this one midwife fob you off - your feelings are valid and absolutely deserve to be heard. I’m not sure if there’s someone else you could speak to, perhaps your GP, or if you have access to counselling at all, but maybe a few sessions would help process things. My friend is currently getting some counselling through her fertility clinic after losses and somebody else I know also accessed some through Tommy’s. I know when I feel overwhelmed trying to break down the process helps. Take baby steps, just focus on doing the next thing (ie having a bit of a sort out in the room for the sake of spring cleaning, say) rather than the whole bigger picture of having a baby living in there. Be gentle with yourself ❤

Such an idiot! I baked some chocolate muffins earlier this morning and have just realised I ate a spoonful of cake mix (super nutritious start to the day). One tiny bit of raw egg won’t hurt right?!
If they're lion stamped then they're fine!
Screenshot_20210513-075110.png

Sorry to hear! I totally get it!
I've only had 1 miscarriage and have a son and 2 daughters but even after 2 successful pregnancies, which were full of worry, I still couldn't accept my 3rd would go okay either.
I won't buy clothes or baby stuff until at least 36 weeks

Reactions: 3
Any suggestions on how to get to sleep successfully?! Pretty sure baby is transverse two lumps on both sides on my belly everytime I try and get comfy to sleep she kicks right off (pretty sure I'm growing an octopus with the amount of limbs I feel) its like I'm squishing her so I'm up half the night! Damn it I wish we could sleep on our backs!!!!

has anyone managed to not gain any weight in first trimester? my BMI is high so I'm supposed to be not gaining any weight!

^ I weighed myself at the start of lockdown so that was the only weight I had for the midwife at my first appointment. She weighed me and said ‘oh wow, you must be the only person I’ve met who’s lost weight in lockdown, what have you been doing?’
Me and the older midwife looked at each other and laughed and said at the same time ‘vomiting, mostly’ 🤣

• Haha
Reactions: 5
has anyone managed to not gain any weight in first trimester? my BMI is high so I'm supposed to be not gaining any weight!
Hey I didn’t actually gain any weight until recently now 24 weeks I have gained I think 6 or 7 pounds since 12 weeks but this was actually lost in the first trimester because the thought of food other than sour or fizzy sweets made me heave. I have a high bmi although if you saw me you would probably think I was normal weight. Throughout my pregnancy for the most part I have been eating what I ate before I was pregnant and I don’t over eat like for the sake of it granted I’ve had a few random things to eat but I mainly eat chicken salads, fruit,home made things like cottage pie with some veg etc and I have an ice lolly for pudding or a yoghurt rather than ice cream or chocolate or cakes. It helps I don’t really like them that much. I also watch my portions so I use a pasta dish for my meals I know this sounds silly but it is enough for me and I don’t over fill my plate. You need to remember though that worrying about weight just makes things more stressful so maybe just be mindful of what you eat rather than weighing yourself x

About to go in for whooping cough vaccine and midwife appointment and I could literally just vom. Why is the nausea back this week? So cruel.

(Although I love walking past the massive covid vaccine line in the rain and going straight into the doctors lol smug)

• Haha
Reactions: 6
Cannot believe I am in my 6th month of pregnancy! I’ve finally got some maternity clothes and going to look at some prams this month it all doesn’t seem real! X

About to go in for whooping cough vaccine and midwife appointment and I could literally just vom. Why is the nausea back this week? So cruel.

(Although I love walking past the massive covid vaccine line in the rain and going straight into the doctors lol smug)
Good luck mine ached so much still does now and I had it on Monday x

• Heart
Reactions: 5
Any suggestions on how to get to sleep successfully?! Pretty sure baby is transverse two lumps on both sides on my belly everytime I try and get comfy to sleep she kicks right off (pretty sure I'm growing an octopus with the amount of limbs I feel) its like I'm squishing her so I'm up half the night! Damn it I wish we could sleep on our backs!!!!
No tips sorry - just sympathy!! If someone else tells me to make the most of my sleep whilst I still can I may not be held responsible for my actions 😅 I’ve also somehow pulled a muscle in the left side of my lower back and so I can ONLY get comfortable on my right hand side and I wake up every time I move in bed 🤪 HELP I just want to sleep 😭

Cannot believe I am in my 6th month of pregnancy! I’ve finally got some maternity clothes and going to look at some prams this month it all doesn’t seem real! X
Ah so excited for you re the shopping, it is so good to look at stuff in person as opposed to on the internet! Do you feel like the last few weeks have flown by?! I worked out yesterday only got 3 months left at work - argh!

Reactions: 1
Anybody else really suffering with dry nostrils now?
I don't know if it's a pregnancy thing or hayfever or both but ughhhh.
Spoke to the pharmacist at my GP and she was quite anti me taking any hayfever stuff although said it wasn't written off completely.
I've been using a saline nasal spray which basically just goes to my ears and blocks them. I've got a humidifier on at night, but I'm still waking up with my nose so dry that it's bleeding. 😭

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.