Pre menstrual syndrome

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
During the week leading up to my period and the first few days of it my life feels like a living hell. I cant sleep, I become extremely depressed, anxiety goes through the roof, my eating patterns become awful and I become very agitated and impatient with my children . I also stop working so much (Im self employed) so it affects my income. As soon as i come to the end of my period it's like the storm has passed and the sun comes out and I have a great 2 - 3 weeks until next month.

I just wondered if anyone out there has experienced this and if so please tell me theres something I can do about it! I'm nearly 39 and my dr says I'm too old and overweight for the pill (charming).

Reactions: 1
During the week leading up to my period and the first few days of it my life feels like a living hell. I cant sleep, I become extremely depressed, anxiety goes through the roof, my eating patterns become awful and I become very agitated and impatient with my children . I also stop working so much (Im self employed) so it affects my income. As soon as i come to the end of my period it's like the storm has passed and the sun comes out and I have a great 2 - 3 weeks until next month.

I just wondered if anyone out there has experienced this and if so please tell me theres something I can do about it! I'm nearly 39 and my dr says I'm too old and overweight for the pill (charming).
Google PMDD - pre-menstrual dysphoric disorder. I was recently diagnosed with this after suffering for years with what I assumed was just bad PMS. PMDD is a sensitivity to the hormonal changes that occur during menstruation where the symptoms severely affect your ability to function.

I suffer with all the physical stuff, sore boobs, low energy, cramps but also horrendous psychological symptoms: feelings of hopelessness, irritability, being overly sensitive to rejection, very tearful, feeling trapped, feeling like I'll never be happy again.

PMDD can even result in suicidal thoughts and actions in some women so it's something that people really need to help raise awareness for. Speak to your GP, there are various different treatments that can be used to try and help. It is now part of the DSM-5 diagnostic manual so it is a legitimate psychiatric disorder, not just a woman being grumpy or 'hormonal'.

There are support groups on facebook and lots of websites/social media accounts with loads of info.

I hope you find some peace or relief in the knowledge you're not alone and this is a very real thing so many women suffer with! x

Google PMDD - pre-menstrual dysphoric disorder. I was recently diagnosed with this after suffering for years with what I assumed was just bad PMS. PMDD is a sensitivity to the hormonal changes that occur during menstruation where the symptoms severely affect your ability to function.

I suffer with all the physical stuff, sore boobs, low energy, cramps but also horrendous psychological symptoms: feelings of hopelessness, irritability, being overly sensitive to rejection, very tearful, feeling trapped, feeling like I'll never be happy again.

PMDD can even result in suicidal thoughts and actions in some women so it's something that people really need to help raise awareness for. Speak to your GP, there are various different treatments that can be used to try and help. It is now part of the DSM-5 diagnostic manual so it is a legitimate psychiatric disorder, not just a woman being grumpy or 'hormonal'.

There are support groups on facebook and lots of websites/social media accounts with loads of info.

I hope you find some peace or relief in the knowledge you're not alone and this is a very real thing so many women suffer with! x
Ah thank you for replying! Yes I have all of the physical symptoms too although they dont distress me the way the mental ones do. I might have a chat with the doctor again and join some fb groups. Yes low energy is something I suffer from during this time too thanks so much 😊

Ah thank you for replying! Yes I have all of the physical symptoms too although they dont distress me the way the mental ones do. I might have a chat with the doctor again and join some fb groups. Yes low energy is something I suffer from during this time too thanks so much 😊
you're welcome :)

there are herbal supplements (magnesium, b6, vitex) you can take to help ease symptoms plus all the usual/boring stuff of healthy diet, light exercise, getting enough sleep & water etc.

you're welcome :)

there are herbal supplements (magnesium, b6, vitex) you can take to help ease symptoms plus all the usual/boring stuff of healthy diet, light exercise, getting enough sleep & water etc.
Thank you I'll get some vitamins. I dont really want to be put on meds because I'm fine for the other two weeks so it would be a shame to ruin them. It's like your mind and body is taken over by a demon isnt it 😭

I remember seeing this thread when it was first posted and looked into PMDD.
I have PCOS so my periods are very random and not regular.
I have every symptom there is and I’ve always just through that was general PMS!
I am due a period any day now (if all is well 🤞🏻 Third month in a row 🙌🏻🙌🏻🙌🏻) and today I’ve been suffering!
I was just wondering and putting it out there is anyone else suffers and what experience you have? Can we do anything? Should I tell my gynaecologist?
It’s bloody horrible!!