Potted plants in the garden - help!

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Ok I am a TOTAL beginner at this 🙈 so basically we have done the landscaping ourselves and now I would like to add some colour to the garden.

The plants/flowers need to be in pots, the area is shady but it does get a little sun. In terms of what to put in, do I have to be mindful of the time of year I plant anything? I just want to start off with a few pot s, so don’t want to spend crazy amounts.

any recommendations as to where I can get some nice flowers/plants online? Help! ☺ Any advice would be much appreciated

Oh gosh this is a huge question.

Do you want annuals or perennials?
Shrubs, trees or flowers?

Yes you need to consider the time of year you are planting, the light, and how much work you want to put into them?

ETA are you adverse to going to a local gardening center? You'll likely get better quality plants and good advice as well. I would do that over online.

IMO; start with some herbs, practical and pretty. Thyme, rosemary, mint. Lavender is good too.
Perennial_Groundcover-Thymus-Spicy-Orange-Creeping-Thyme.jpg

f54e4ef5-157a-4e5a-ae7c-98f1b6898811-227de73.jpg

Osteospernum are easy and pretty flowers.
2048x1365-Grow-Guide-Osteospermum-LI2601405-a8e9f75.jpg

Campanula
Campanula-flower-care-2-1.jpg

Sobaria are nice shrubs
0009933.jpg

Hebe shrubs are pretty low maintenance as well
hebe_heartbreaker_0003373_4_1.jpg

Heather's would be ok too

Last edited:
Oh gosh this is a huge question.

Do you want annuals or perennials?
Shrubs, trees or flowers?

Yes you need to consider the time of year you are planting, the light, and how much work you want to put into them?

ETA are you adverse to going to a local gardening center? You'll likely get better quality plants and good advice as well. I would do that over online.

IMO; start with some herbs, practical and pretty. Thyme, rosemary, mint. Lavender is good too.
View attachment 691958

View attachment 691964

Osteospernum are easy and pretty flowers.
View attachment 691956

Campanula
View attachment 691987

Sobaria are nice shrubs
View attachment 691955

Hebe shrubs are pretty low maintenance as well
View attachment 691990

Heather's would be ok too
Thank you! We went to a garden centre yesterday but it’s a bit of a minefield 😂 I did a bit more research yesterday too so will take the plunge with a few bits this week 😁

Where I live we have a great chap with plants who comes to our market every week. I always ask him what’s good to plant. See if there’s one near you

Reactions: 1