Poll Is Christmas the most wonderful time of the year for you?

Is Christmas the most wonderful time of the year for you?

• Yes

Votes: 47 42.7%
  • No

Votes: 63 57.3%

• Total voters
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:

Yel

Is it for you as an adult?

For me no it isn't, I do like seeing the children all excited and happy but feel such a pressure for families to all get along and sadly it never quite works out. Then all the mass consumption of plastic and food makes me feel quite uneasy.

The build up is too long, in mid November I've got work colleagues trying to get me to have some tit factory food "because it's Christmas" and I'd really rather not.

Reactions: 6
I've always hated Christmas. The pressure is too much, theres always obligations of some sort then it's over then the anti climax! It gets earlier every year. Since having my child I do get a bit more excited and the build up is a bit more enjoyable but I really could take it or leave it!

It can be a lovely time of year if everything is going well for you but if you're struggling in any way, it just makes things seem 1000 times worse. I have lots of bad memories of Christmas as an adult.

Also completely agree that the pressure put on people is ridiculous - it is so expensive and excessive, all for 1 day.

Reactions: 13
Seeing the kids so excited over Santa and the tree. All the markets for them and then Christmas Day yes. For me personally financially every year toys get more expensive and made shittier.

I’ve noticed family on insta and Facebook already having competitions on the best tree, who got their kids what, who’s going to make the best dinner!! I just don’t care for it I don’t remember it being like that when I was younger.

I dunno it’s got to commercial. When I was younger it would be my whole family scrunched in my grandads London house cramped round the tree. there would be so much laughter and love, the adults would get drunk and all of them chipping in to cook.i had 22 cousins so we would all be opening presents playing with toys together.
My kids don’t have that.

Crazy how Christmas has become basically who can take the best picture on Instagram whilst probably sitting there being a miserable duck.

Reactions: 7
Seeing the kids so excited over Santa and the tree. All the markets for them and then Christmas Day yes. For me personally financially every year toys get more expensive and made shittier.

I’ve noticed family on insta and Facebook already having competitions on the best tree, who got their kids what, who’s going to make the best dinner!! I just don’t care for it I don’t remember it being like that when I was younger.

I dunno it’s got to commercial. When I was younger it would be my whole family scrunched in my grandads London house cramped round the tree. there would be so much laughter and love, the adults would get drunk and all of them chipping in to cook.i had 22 cousins so we would all be opening presents playing with toys together.
My kids don’t have that.

Crazy how Christmas has become basically who can take the best picture on Instagram whilst probably sitting there being a miserable duck.
People getting themselves in debt just so they can buy their children piles & piles of gifts - to take a photo on Xmas eve for social media, to show how much they've bought their child!

Reactions: 9
I hate Christmas because it used to be such a big family thing when I was a kid - the focus was never on presents, just on being together as a family. Now my family have their own families (my Mum died when I was young and my Dad remarried) and aren’t interested in spending time with their spinster daughter/sister/aunt even though we all live within a couple of hours drive apart.

I get offers to go and spend Christmas with friends but never accept because I’d find it too painful to be around happy families knowing my own don’t give enough of a tit to ask me to join them. I mean how pathetic does that make me look? Instead I shut myself away in my little flat and wait for it all to be over whilst planning how I can cheerily brush off all the questions from colleagues in January about what I did and what I got for Christmas from my family when the actual answers are “watched Netflix and cried” and “nothing, not even a phone call”.

Last edited:
  • Sad
Reactions: 12
People getting themselves in debt just so they can buy their children piles & piles of gifts - to take a photo on Xmas eve for social media, to show how much they've bought their child!
This. My kids go without all year. They get 5 gifts each that’s it. (This years been a little more expensive after what they asked for) it’s not that we can’t afford it we have become financially more stable over the last two years luckily but I’d rather take them on day trips during the year then waste it all on Christmas. A mum at the school has admitted for the past 3 months they’ve lived on beans on toast so the can all have new consoles and scooters and branded clothes it’s insane.

• Wow
I hate Christmas because it used to be such a big family thing when I was a kid - the focus was never on presents, just on being together as a family. Now my family have their own families (my Mum died when I was young and my Dad remarried) and aren’t interested in spending time with their spinster daughter/sister/aunt even though we all live within a couple of hours drive apart.

I get offers to go and spend Christmas with friends but never accept because I’d find it too painful to be around happy families knowing my own don’t give enough of a tit to ask me to join them. I mean how pathetic does that make me look? Instead I shut myself away in my little flat and wait for it all to be over whilst planning how I can cheerily brush off all the questions from colleagues in January about what I did and what I got for Christmas from my family when the actual answers are “watched Netflix and cried” and “nothing, not even a phone call”.

Come to me - i will feed you Baileys and Selection Boxes.

No it never has been. I'm a bit of a bah humbug deep down 🙈 I've always liked Easter though 🐤🐰

Reactions: 1
Magical, no, not really. I find aspects of Christmas really difficult - the change in routine, the expectations of presents (I am rubbish at buying gifts and have often been laughed at by the recipient) and how consumerist it all is. But as a little girl I loved Christmas. (Who doesn’t?!)
I was spoiled but so happy and it brings so many good memories. I enjoy spending time with my family and get to see family members I wouldn’t see at other times of year through work/distance and it just reminds me of the happy times I had as a kid. So, I enjoy it but I don’t think it’s magical and could give or take it. I often think I’d quite like it if we had christmas once every four years or something - then the build up would make it more exciting imo

Reactions: 1
I'm not a fan of Christmas. I tolerate it. I'll do the tree and the big dinner but I don't really find it magical. The kids enjoy it - but honestly, if it wasn't for them I wouldn't bother. I've never enjoyed Christmas, even as a kid.

Reactions: 2
It is for me as it’s pretty much the only time we are all home and no one has to work! It’s nothing to do with the presents or food (but let’s face it I love those too!) it’s just having time together x

As I’m getting older the more I am disliking it. It’s great to have my husband home and see my kids faces light up. But the mass consumerism, pressure for perfection for literally one day is grating on me and makes me feel ridiculously anxious. I’ve actually bought less for my kids this year using the four present rule which has helped somewhat but still; Christmas has lost its value to me really.

I enjoy christmas but mainly because my kids love it. I'm not going crazy with presents this year but I am looking forward to it and the general build up. We are having a relaxed one this year at home, simple roast dinner. I will stay in my pjs all day and just enjoy spending time with my kids.

I fell it’s almost shameful to admit If you don’t like Christmas.
like there must be something wrong with you if you don’t enjoy it.

it doesn’t mean your broken and it doesn’t make you a miserable Scrooge. 😐

I find it sad. I don’t enjoy Christmas, I did in the past but not for a long time.
il do enjoy being around the kids, but over all it’s a hard time of year, not just for me but for so many.

I used to really love it but with all the family thousands of miles away and everyone here back at work on the 26th I've decided to not decorate this year. It feels quite liberating so far but if I cave and want to stick up a tree I know it's because I really want to. Because nothing is happening we're going to have Nepali food take out for dinner on the day. Looking forward to it already. 😍

Reactions: 4
Now I'm nearing 30 I've experienced over a decade of Christmases as an adult, the same pressure to buy things, send cards, attend work team meals, see family over several days, buy too much food etc.

I have made a few changes this year:

- Limited who buying presents for so I can save money for my own needs
-Using brown paper and string to wrap presents - cheaper, lol. and less commercial
- Not sending cards, partially because I can't be bothered, partly because of the paper waste, and partly to save money. At least with a spotlight on consumerism and unnecessary waste, I can say "It's called being good for the environment" ahaha.
-Not stock piling so much food weeks in advance. I need to eat better anyway and soooo much money can get wasted on food that makes you feel bloated and sick. Instead, I'll buy some mincemeat and some pastry, make a few dozen mince pies and that's my lot. "Christmas" dinner will just be bog standard chicken, potatoes and vegetables.

Luckily at work my team has a deadline to meet (20th Dec) and noone can be bothered to decorate the office so in a way, work is a nice escape this year from the buildup. The only thing I've not managed to swerve is the department Christmas meal, because work is paying for us and shutting the office, and I don't want to use up a day's leave to avoid going in, lol. Call me Scrooge but I hate large-party meals. When you have food allergies and end up picking the only crappy menu choice, and you don't drink, it's hard to enjoy when everyone else is getting increasingly more merry lol.

Hubby and his family have never been big on Christmas so there's no real pressue on me to "perform Christmas" but let's face it, for many, Christmas is an expected performance, you gotta make it happen, for some that means eating beans for months (😿), for others it's spending time with people that threy don't get on with.

I do however like all the crappy telly and rom coms whilst eating a mince pie, having hot chocolate, and also I am grateful that working in education sector, means we get paid to be home for a week and a half (very grateful to have time off for Xmas and New Years).

There's absolutely no hate on anyone who loves Christmas as much as Zoella, if that's what makes you happy then that's amazing. I think what jades a lot of us is the 2 or 3 month build up, the escalating tendancy to spend pennies "because Christmas", mass consumption, and then the pressure to perform/provide.

Maybe my views will change if I become a parent, but for now, I'm happy to be low key, and spend with the few people in my life that matter most, whilst also having some much needed time off work, post crazy deadline! Is it just me or does December always have lots of crazy deadlines running at the same time as the build up to Xmas? I'm feeling so run down right now!

Reactions: 3
We have a nice Christmas.

We used to travel to my SO's parents for Christmas but it is a 12-hour drive and once we built our house and got a dog, we told them we wouldn't be doing it anymore. You can imagine how that went over. My family is in the UK so no chance of seeing them at Christmas unless travel is involved.

Last Christmas was perfect. We had leftovers from Christmas Eve for dinner (Polish food) and spent all day in our PJs watching Bodyguard on Netflix. Probably the best Christmas day we have had. Then on Boxing Day, we made a roast which was nice.

Christmas isn't my favourite. As an adult, I can't be bothered with all of the consumerism. For our gifts, we buy something to read, wear, want and need. Works out quite well.

I have MH issues such as anxiety and panic attacks and I find them worse at this time of year. The dark days and I think the "pressure" to be full of Christmas cheer. I also don't like New Year. But maybe that is just me.

Also, I swear people were putting their tree up even earlier this year...like the beginning of November. What is with that? We have got our tree, we bought a real one but are yet to find the time to decorate it. Lol.

Reactions: 5
Not this year. I just feel pressure. Pressure to have the family round all day and cook, clean and smile while they all get Merry in the front room. Unaware of me breaking down in the kitchen