Poll: Do you think not wildly known acronyms should be discouraged on tattle?

Should acronyms that aren't wildly known be discouraged on tattle?

• Yes

Votes: 159 73.3%
  • No

Votes: 35 16.1%
  • Unsure

Votes: 23 10.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

admin

Tattle Staff
Staff member
Some of the threads keep getting offtopic as people (understandably) don't understand who the acronyms are. It seems a bit unwelcoming and unfair to new people, so thought it's a good idea for a poll.

I personally would rather they were avoided and people used firstname initial or just Surname. It's not that much more to type out and would make the threads much more readable and welcoming.

Oohthedrama

Iconic Member
Staff member
I’m so glad this has been addressed 🤣

OTD (yes I’m talking about myself 😐) went on the PS thread and had no fucking clue why Philip Scofield is trying it on with MM - Meghan Markle.

I’m on a lot of threads on here but find if I’m not really up to date with who’s “friends” with that influencer I’m confused when acronyms are used in place of names, even more so on the celebrity threads!!

It makes me less likely to get involved in the thread.

Yel

VIP Member
Staff member

OTD (yes I’m talking about myself 😐) went on the PS thread and had no fucking clue why Philip Scofield is trying it on with MM - Meghan Markle.

I’m on a lot of threads on here but find if I’m not really up to date with who’s “friends” with theat influencer I’m confused when acronyms are used in place of names.

I agree the Phillip thread does get very difficult to read and it's a shame as it limits how many people will read it.

I'd just say Holly on that thread rather than HW as it makes it so much easier to read and requires less brain power. Or Matt M so that people stop thinking of Meghan.

Oohthedrama

Iconic Member
Staff member
I agree the Phillip thread does get very difficult to read and it's a shame as it limits how many people will read it.

I'd just say Holly on that thread rather than HW as it makes it so much easier to read and requires less brain power. Or Matt M so that people stop thinking of Meghan.
I had never noticed the struggle when it was on a thread I’m familiar with, so I can see how it becomes the norm on threads,

But it’s really difficult when it’s a thread I’m not familiar with,
and the last thing I want to do is ask someone to explain who’s who so I just leave the thread instead 🤣

Yes! it might be easier is people did use first names in place of initials!
Even if the acronym is entered into the wiki it’s hard to keep up.

Lars Guinard

VIP Member
I had never noticed the struggle when it was on a thread I’m familiar with, so I can see how it becomes the norm on threads,

But it’s really difficult when it’s a thread I’m not familiar with,
and the last thing I want to do is ask someone to explain who’s who so I just leave the thread instead 🤣

Yes! it might be easier is people did use first names in place of initials!
Even if the acronym is entered into the wiki it’s hard to keep up.
I put the acronyms on the wiki for the Phillip Schofield thread as it was just getting into arguments over people not knowing who MM is, I was confused for a second and thought Meghan Markle is really being disruptive 😂 but it just got to 15 posts about people asking what the abbreviation stood for or people saying everyone should read all the threads.
Then it just went off on a tangent with random unrelated people and Cliff Richard needing an acronym and nickname...I updated but felt it had no relevance and where does it stop?

I think the wiki pages should be utilised more especially on popular threads and if you could read a brief synopsis there would not be a need for the never ending acronyms. Maybe if there are comments that have summarised a popular thread/topic they could be 'pinned' to the wiki page?

Porkiepies

VIP Member
I think it's fine if it's the person who the thread is about. PS on the Schofield thread and CF on the Caroline Flack thread is fine. It does get very confusing when there are loads though. When I first started reading Tattle I was on the Sali Hughes thread a lot and I got so lost with all the acronyms that I gave up.
I was like that with Part Time Working Mum a while ago.

Guacamole123

VIP Member
The secret celeb gossip one is becoming hard for me to follow sometimes. A lot of acronyms for celebs names when it’s just as easy to write the name out! Like others have said, on threads about the celeb that’s fine (ie using PS on the Philip Schofield thread) but otherwise it gets beyond confusing.

Meringue22

VIP Member

I’m on a lot of threads on here but find if I’m not really up to date with who’s “friends” with that influencer I’m confused when acronyms are used in place of names, even more so on the celebrity threads!!

I thought the same! MM and PS?! 🤣

Oohthedrama

Iconic Member
Staff member
I thought the same! MM and PS?! 🤣
I mean I’m not against Philip Schofield being caught in a clinch with Meghan Markle. It would be a positive for both the Philip and royals thread.
But then you go to the royals thread and it’s a mixture of “cringe/ginge/me-again/meme” and a few other nicknames randomly thrown in amongst family member acronyms.

I'm out. 🤣😂 my brain can’t do the math I just can’t do maths 😐

Meringue22

VIP Member
I mean I’m not against Philip Schofield being caught in a clinch with Meghan Markle. It would be a positive for both the Philip and royals thread.
But then you go to the royals thread and it’s a mixture of “cringe/ginge/me-again/meme” and a few other nicknames randomly thrown in amongst family member acronyms.

I'm out. 🤣😂 my brain can’t do the math I just can’t do maths 😐
Same. I SURRENDER! 🤣🤦🏼‍♀️

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks some useful and important features of our website. Please disable your adblocker for tattle

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks