Plus Size Influencers

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Plus on this instance Joanne is completely correct. You reap what you sow.

I will say though, the comments on the Daily Fail make us look incredibly tame..

“Body positive brain negative” was a good one though.

• Haha
Reactions: 6
I’m not familiar with that person I just saw her tweet and reminded me of the tweets Steph posted back in August in regards to the black lady being arrested for making anti Semitic remarks against a Jewish shopkeeper.
I posted It for clarity for all thoses that keep saying she thought and said this stuff when she was just 18, it’s clear she still held some of theses opinions as recently as this year.

If she feels that way the I hope she seeks help.
Oh no problem!! This is such a fine line and I always try to be careful but I have been accused of being anti-semitic on twitter (which I'd like to clarify I am definitely not). If you hold the opinion that Israel might be in the wrong on occasion, you will get dragged on twitter by certain people and she is one of them. Even though the official definition of anti-semitism says that equating the state of Israel with being Jewish is anti-semitic. It's dodgy area that I like to avoid. Having said that, I partially agree with Joanne Bell here -Stephanie was wrong to wade into the argument without knowing all of the facts. I also googled the arrest and as far as I could see there was nothing the police did that was wrong in the situation.

Oh no problem!! This is such a fine line and I always try to be careful but I have been accused of being anti-semitic on twitter (which I'd like to clarify I am definitely not). If you hold the opinion that Israel might be in the wrong on occasion, you will get dragged on twitter by certain people and she is one of them. Even though the official definition of anti-semitism says that equating the state of Israel with being Jewish is anti-semitic. It's dodgy area that I like to avoid. Having said that, I partially agree with Joanne Bell here -Stephanie was wrong to wade into the argument without knowing all of the facts. I also googled the arrest and as far as I could see there was nothing the police did that was wrong in the situation.
I think it’s a hard discussion to have, yes this could hugely impact her career but she could also recover from it who knows, but on the other hand it’s leaves a nasty taste in the mouth when Grazia is getting so much tit from Yeboah advocates for having her stand down from a position that become unatteniable and unsuitable to have her spear head as a diversity champion when it’s clear she hold views that are not in line with what they looking for.

And more so that they keep echoing they was from 14-10 years ago when it’s clear as day she still felt and held theses opinions very recently.
Tbh she a very dubious character and it’s very hard what to believe with her as she known to have lied or embellished in the past about stuff.

Reactions: 4
Thing is with these people is that they want her to retweet them, get friendly with them and shout them out, so they don’t want to do their research. They’re not GENUINELY upset for her, they don’t give a tit realistically, it’s just for clout.

• Heart
Reactions: 3
No I actually think for the fat sistahood Fat and BLM and Trans are the pre-eminent issues and they truly believe in that.

I have always been fascinated by the certainty they have in their opinions (and that’s all they are). I am 45, quite sure I’ve got the wrong end of the stick most times and consequently try and get a 360 view of what I’m thinking about and even then am hesitant to stick it out there because ..... what do I know?

No I actually think for the fat sistahood Fat and BLM and Trans are the pre-eminent issues and they truly believe in that.

I have always been fascinated by the certainty they have in their opinions (and that’s all they are). I am 45, quite sure I’ve got the wrong end of the stick most times and consequently try and get a 360 view of what I’m thinking about and even then am hesitant to stick it out there because ..... what do I know?
Especially so publicly. Stephanie was being held up by a community (and still is evidently) that were endorsing her and backing her to the hilt even when what she was saying was problematic. When she got a bigger platform it was inevitable something like this was going to happen. This is the danger of an echo chamber and blaming everyone and everything for problems you've created all by yourself.

Reactions: 7
Well this has taught me that people pick and choose who to stand up for. If a white person at 18 posted racist tweets there’d be a witch hunt and celebration - rightfully so. 18 is an adult and they should be held accountable and made to go on courses about equality and be educated on anti-black racism. But a black woman posted anti-Semitic tweets and people are choosing to ignore the fact that she did it in JANUARY and forgiving her on behalf of the Jewish community. Let alone the fact she is disrespectful and racist towards Nigerian men and regularly racist in that way too.

I hate influencers. It’s all a load of tit licking and brown nosing. Get over your bleeping selves and hold someone accountable regardless of what race they are. These people aren’t friends no matter how loud they shout they are. They’re just people that know each other online and comment YAAAS QUEEN every now and then. It’s all so false.

Reactions: 12
I thought Steph is signed to some influencer management company - have they advised her at any point i wonder?

Unfortunately for Steph her influencer friends have probably made this all worse for her - going back and forth and increasing engagement/visibility of the topic and even undermining her statement.

In her statement she said she admitted to making ‘ignorant and antisemitic’ comments. She then said ‘In January...’ (this year) and mentioned ‘diminishing the seriousness of the tragedies that the Jewish communities have faced.’ She mentions the importance of being held accountable and looks forward to educating herself further.

I understand wanting to support your ‘friend’ but i’m not sure why some of her e-mates are arguing with the Jewish community about this. Have they even read her statement? They are not doing her any favours at all.

• Heart
Reactions: 8
It just goes to show the underlying anti-semitism problem in this country unfortunately. I don’t doubt for a second that Steph doesn’t think that she didn’t deserve to lose that position, she had a meeting with them and obviously understands what she did and why she lost the position. Her FOLLOWERS (they’re not her friends no matter how much they want to be), are making the situation much much worse.

boycotting Grazia for doing the right thing? Huge detriment to the Jewish community.

She's made a statement on IG stories. Tbf it was well worded and if it is sincere then I applaud her. I suppose it remains to be seen if she starts taking people's criticisms on board. One thing is for certain, if she doesn't start listening to criticism she is going to kill her career and fast. 'Influencing' is not a soap box where you can just shout your opinions at people. I am just shocked that she is rarely called out for belittling African men the way she does.

Hopefully it makes people shut up about it being 14 years ago where she’s very clearly now said it was as recently as January. I hope she takes this as seriously as she’s written she will be.

Reactions: 1
She really doesn’t deserve the death threats tho. I can’t even begin to imagine what that feels like.

Agreed, you don’t tackle racism with more racism and certainly not with violent threats

Reactions: 8
There’s no excuse for some of the abuse she’s got but it’s right to call her out when she’s done something wrong

I can’t believe people who send death threats, it’s absolutely bewildering. I believe she should be held accountable for what she’s said but also there should be room given for her to learn and be accountable for her mistakes other wise if we write people off completely then what’s the point. If she’s willing to learn and do better than surely that’s at least a good thing. I do wonder if it’s just to save her own back but we can’t know that for sure.

I think everyone on this thread has highlighted how shocking and disgusting the racial abuse towards her has been. No one should have to deal with harassment and threats of violence. We can acknowledge this whilst also recognising how offensive her tweets were - it’s definitely not an either/or situation! I think we’ve been a lot more level headed than her cult followers 😂😬

A quicker Instagram statement was in order too. It seemed a bit odd.. to continue reposting selfies and book tags while not addressing the elephant in the room, for a few days.

I do wonder what will happen to the Little Mix gig - especially because she was marketed as a champion of diversity. I hope she uses the constructive criticism to grow, maybe a social media break and some professional help would be good?

I think everyone on this thread has highlighted how shocking and disgusting the racial abuse towards her has been. No one should have to deal with harassment and threats of violence. We can acknowledge this whilst also recognising how offensive her tweets were - it’s definitely not an either/or situation! I think we’ve been a lot more level headed than her cult followers 😂😬

A quicker Instagram statement was in order too. It seemed a bit odd.. to continue reposting selfies and book tags while not addressing the elephant in the room, for a few days.

I do wonder what will happen to the Little Mix gig - especially because she was marketed as a champion of diversity. I hope she uses the constructive criticism to grow, maybe a social media break and some professional help would be good?
It's just humiliating as a lot of her hires have been diversity hires :(. I personally blame the brands that hired her though, they didn't do the research they should have.

The delay with the Instagram statement leaves me a bit suspicious tbh. The cynic in me is questioning why she didn't apologise across all of her SM platforms at the same time. And why she first mentioned it on Instagram on the background of some horrible abuse she had received. It wasn't appropriate in my opinion.

I do feel bad for her though. The problem with these situations is that the constructive criticism is totally drowned out by the abuse.

Reactions: 5
She's unlocked her twitter and it looks like she's been getting two ends of the extreme - horrible abuse and people telling her she is amazing and done nothing wrong. Both sides are totally wrong and that's the problem with social media. She only seems to get two extremes. She says she's not a bad person, malicious or racist and that's fine but she has to understand that some of her behaviour is all of those things.

Did anyone catch the drama with Sarah Albertine at all? Looks like I’m too late and have only found the evidence of a clean up 👀🧐

Did anyone catch the drama with Sarah Albertine at all? Looks like I’m too late and have only found the evidence of a clean up 👀🧐
It was something like Sarah tagging Steph in her stories and talking about the anti semitism comments made and explained why Jewish people would find them offensive and as a Jewish/quarter Jamaican woman she found them offensive too. A lot of influencers expressed faux outrage about this as it apparently contributed to the pile-on... the hypocrisy, these influencers do crap like that all the time - quote tweeting people, tagging twitter accounts, knowing they have big platforms and causing people to go after them.

It's all on twitter btw.

See Sarah's tweets too.

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.