People that come into inheritance then complain that they'll loose benefits

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Does anyone else get annoyed by these people? Woman on this morning the other day inherited 100k and was annoyed that it'll affect her benefits. If you have 100k in the bank why would you ever think tax payers should pay your rent?

It's bad enough that the system discourages people from ever saving for a rainy day!

Reactions: 11
It seems to be some people’s mentality
we are going through this with my step daughter
she seems to think we are around to serve her,pay for her and run round after her 24/7 until she meets (rich) Prince Charming and then he’ll pay her way
everyone around her (apart from her mother) works hard at what we do (her grandparents are now retired)
it’s a shame for her she’s come across me in her life-I’m making her get a job
ive worked since I was 11
my kids (bar my youngest) all work (the next 2 up work 6 hours on a Saturday due to age)
some people simply think others are around to pay for them
benefits are paid into an account-they don’t see how hard some poor soul has worked to pay tax that then pays them
id kill to have 100k land in my account
but some people have the easy come easy go attitude cos they’ve not had to earn it

Reactions: 7
I’ve never inherited £100k (or any amount actually) so excuse my ignorance but what’s the difference between paying for your life with inheritance vs paying with benefits? Just use up the inheritance then go back on benefits if you still need them? The only reason you’d want to continue claiming benefits while having all that money is because you’d want to blow it all, surely?

I think the media generally portrays people on benefits in a very negative light but I agree that this case is disgusting. There are people out there on benefits who have to rely on food banks, of course this woman shouldn’t be able to claim after inheriting £100k

they want to claim benefits AND keep the 100k
in their heads it’s ‘different’ money
money they should be able to spend on what they like v’s getting the rent paid
they haven’t earned either so have zero respect for it
i know someone who’s on the ’sick’ (nothing wrong with him he’s just lazy) and £2,000 has landed in his lap (he has a daughter girlfriend dog and 5 snakes)
if that was me I’d put it away while keeping my job and use it for a rainy day
he blew the lot in 6 days on shite (think crap on wish and snake stuff-not one penny on his family as his girlfriend deals with his daughter via tax credits and her family)
it’s never entered his head to tell the jobcentre about this money as they are ’different’ incomes
it’s they way some people are

• Wow
Reactions: 4
👏 totally agree @Itsallaboutmememe

It's different money, they feel entitled to keep it and still have tax payers money. They genuinely believe they're being conned out of money as they have to pay for things that they were getting tax payers to pay for.

👏 totally agree @Itsallaboutmememe

It's different money, they feel entitled to keep it and still have tax payers money. They genuinely believe they're being conned out of money as they have to pay for things that they were getting tax payers to pay for.
thats just it-they think the taxpayer should keep paying for them rather than dipping into their ‘own’ money

Reactions: 1
I don’t get why anybody would want to be on benefits. At one point waiting for visa issues to be sorted out I had to return to SA for 3 months and in that time I didn’t work. The first two weeks were amazing, I went to the beach every day and just mooched about but after that I was bored out of my mind!
I’d rather do something and earn a pittance than stay at home smoking fags and drinking beer

I don’t get why anybody would want to be on benefits. At one point waiting for visa issues to be sorted out I had to return to SA for 3 months and in that time I didn’t work. The first two weeks were amazing, I went to the beach every day and just mooched about but after that I was bored out of my mind!
I’d rather do something and earn a pittance than stay at home smoking fags and drinking beer
I’m with you
i had 5 days off the other week (not a lazy cow-there’s just not the hours at the moment)
I was crawling the walls after day 2
some people just don’t see life like that

Benefits are supposed to be a stop gap until you find work again..unfortunately its become a lifestyle choice for some.
i worked for the DWP about 10 years ago (ironically i got the job when i went to sign on after losing my job in the recession).
it was a real eye opener and such a frustrating unfair system especially to those who have worked and paid in.
Loads of claimants won't consider any work as they might have to pay their own rent as they wont get their housing benefit anymore! we had a few who had appeared on Jeremy Kyle and thought that their fee for appearing in the show (and payments for repeats) was money to do what they liked with but its classed as earnings.

Reactions: 3
I did work experience for 6 weeks in a job centre when I was a graduate looking for work. I also signed on for that brief period and they took on a small number of graduates for work experience, I guess to 'be seen doing their bit' and set an example to local employers. It was eye opening, some people were genuinely using it as a stop gap after redundancy but others were definitely second or even third generation life long claimants. I also lived round the corner from one family who had a lot of children, they were all badly fed, all had social issues, and the eldest at 17 was pregnant and ready to start the cycle again. They had a massive flat screen telly which my family could never afford in a million years. There was no incentive or inclination for any of them to get a job, or go to further education or anything.

The benefits should be there as a baseline emergency stop gap, or to support the genuinely sick.