Peloton

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
This. We have one ordered during lock down came9 weeks later worth waiting for-told absolutely no one except my parents-do a class most days at nap time -or bed time -the quality of classes music instructors community has really surprised and impressed me. I understand what people say about status showing off that's probably definitely been the reason I've not told anyone 😔 but it enriches my days and I feel I'm getting quality equipment even down to delivery and set up customer care etc and I am right now beyond grateful to have it x
Glad there's some fellow Peletoners on here! My biggest regret is not ordering it earlier as by the time it came, peak lockdown was over.

I don't have kids yet but can definitely see how great it would be for nap time etc, doesn't matter how much of a state you look and no need to go anywhere just a quick 20 min blast and you're done.

• Heart
Reactions: 6
Glad there's some fellow Peletoners on here! My biggest regret is not ordering it earlier as by the time it came, peak lockdown was over.

I don't have kids yet but can definitely see how great it would be for nap time etc, doesn't matter how much of a state you look and no need to go anywhere just a quick 20 min blast and you're done.
Sometimes I've still got half pjs half workout pants on I wouldn't leave the house the state of me today I'm typing from the bike. Hoping to be woken up properly, before the baby 😝

Reactions: 1
I must just sound like I work for Peloton but I genuinely love it and it's been worth it for me.
Great post, although what I want to know most is have you ever had a shoutout? Peloton do rather cringey say this is one of the main features of their premium membership

Sorry I'm not trying to be sarky 😬 I get lots of people genuinely do like it and don't have as a status thing. I really do like the concept but I think the price point is too high, and the constant adverts are off-putting.

• Haha
Reactions: 4
Sometimes I've still got half pjs half workout pants on I wouldn't leave the house the state of me today I'm typing from the bike. Hoping to be woken up properly,but not before the baby 😝
It is nice if you’re able to have some equipment at home, I feel really lucky, it’s worth it for the convenience alone, my gym was an almost hour long round trip and I used to hate getting in the car in winter in the cold and the rain to drive there for a spin class, Im finding it easier just to slot exercise into my day when it suits me now and can put on any old pair of leggings and top, in fact I normally only wear my sports bra which I wouldn’t have had the courage to do in public!

Reactions: 2
Great post, although what I want to know most is have you ever had a shoutout? Peloton do rather cringey say this is one of the main features of their premium membership

Sorry I'm not trying to be sarky 😬 I get lots of people genuinely do like it and don't have as a status thing. I really do like the concept but I think the price point is too high, and the constant adverts are off-putting.
I wondered about this as in I tried once to scroll up through all the members during a live ride and gave up I couldn't get to the top of the list (the fastest etc)
So I think that's the lottery of a shout out and only if you're
On a live ride,thousands can be doing the same ride. Blows my mind.

• Haha
I wondered about this as in I tried once to scroll up through all the members during a live ride and gave up I couldn't get to the top of the list (the fastest etc)
So I think that's the lottery of a shout out and only if you're
On a live ride,thousands can be doing the same ride. Blows my mind.
Oh there's thousands per live ride?!

A highlight would be Americans trying to pronounce British place names 😆

"Big up Sandra in gla-ww-ster"

"Keep going Marie in loo-ba-roo-ey"

I bought a mid range cross trainer and tend to do 50 mins watching the chase so I don't get bored

• Haha

You only get a shout out if you are doing a live ride and if its either your birthday or you've hit a big milestone such as 100 rides, 300 rides etc. I've only done on demand ones which are recordings of the live rides but it still tracks your metrics and puts you on a leader board against thousands of others who have also done the ride.

Some people seem to live for these shoutouts from what I've seen on FB groups but I'm not fussed although can see why people would get a thrill from it.

I also tend to do classes mainly from the 4 British instructors because they tend to be less cheesy and with better music IMO.

I have a Peloton and absolutely love it. I agree it is expensive compared to others, but you can do interest free payments of 50 quid for 39 months for the bike (total 1950) plus the 39 quid for the app. Comes to just under 90 quid a month but split between me and my husband that's 45 each which is a reasonable gym membership price IMO. Also this isn't just for a spin class... More on this later.

Now I am never the type to go for luxury brands or status symbols. I don't even own a designer bag or watch, can't understand why people would spend hundreds on shoes. Hate those who measure their own worth and others by how much designer tit they own.

But the Peloton really does seem to be a cut above the rest. We did SO much research-believe me my husband spent ages watching YouTube videos and reviews etc as did I. We almost went for the wattbike or nordic track instead and were going to just use the Peloton app (which is only 12.99 without the bike).

However I have never ever treated myself to anything premium or 'top of the range' before and after speaking to a couple of people who have the Peloton we just went for it. Initially its a 30 day trial anyway so if you decide its not worth it you can send the bike back.

I don't regret it at all. Firstly the bike looks amazing, it's so sleek and streamlined. Stream quality is amazing. The bike just feels good, much better than any spin bike I have been on, and I've been on a lot! But also the class quality is amazing, there's so many different instructors and class types to suit everyone. Plus if you used this app on another bike you wouldn't get the metrics show up on screen which is personally what pushes me to go further and improve upon every time I ride. It also shows you on a leader board against every other person in the world who has done that particular ride so its good for friendly competition etc.

Also the app isn't just spin classes. There's yoga, strength, cardio, running, bootcamp, stretching and they've just introduced barre (I'm hoping pilates is next!) Also bike bootcamp which is where you spend part of a class on the bike and part of the class in the floor with weights. Again all really good quality classes with decent music. If you have a few weights and a mat at home you're all set. Les Mills pales in comparison, I found this app horrendously cheesy, outdated and most of the music is awful cover songs.

Finally there's also a massive 'Peloton community' which isn't really my thing but there's Facebook groups and forums you can join where you all decide to ride together at a certain time etc. Plus lots of support, people have made friendships etc.

I must just sound like I work for Peloton but I genuinely love it and it's been worth it for me.
You sound super happy with your purchase and I think nowadays it’s a matter of whatever gets you through this bizarre year☺ I’m in Ireland so we can’t get the peloton bike here yet!

I mentioned this already but just to elaborate a bit more, I use an app called Studio Sweat which has everything you listed as part of the Peloton app but it also has Pilates, kickboxing, Bosu classes and a few more things; they even have kids and teenager classes on there now. Music is decent and trainers are good. ‘Boy band and spin’ is my guilty pleasure🤣🤣 My renewal for the year was $60. I bought a Wahoo cadence sensor for my spin bike for £30 which appears on my iPad screen. The only thing I don’t have vs a peloton bike is the resistance on screen, I have to guess this, but there are numerous threads on reddit Etc where people have worked it out. But I don’t really mind that. I think I have a good(and affordable) alternative set up, so I’m just posting this info in case it is of interest to anybody else(or of interest to somebody based in Ireland like me). Looking forward to getting some early morning sessions in now that the mornings are getting too dark to get outside💪🏻

Reactions: 6
Apologies if I've missed it mentioned already, what spin bike do you have @Roisin Dubh?
@SqualorVictoria I have a commercial grade spin bike which I bought from a gym that was selling them off, so it has a good and heavy flywheel and decent resistance. It looks well and doesn’t take up much space. I bought the Wahoo cadence sensor on Amazon, £30, you can attach this to your shoe or onto the flywheel itself; it depends on the design of the bike. I feel that I have a good set up and it hasn’t cost the earth either.

Reactions: 3
Well it may not be for you, but many others it does seem to be a status symbol.

Is the peloton basic £12.99 membership new? I wondered what they were going to do now apple is entering their space.

A £9.99 a month membership for live classes I might do on top of gym membership as they've cut the classes and hours alot since reopening.

The new bike is even more, but designed to be used for more than just spin. But still bonkers as you'd be better off using a tablet or TV.
Well, that’s why I started my post with I...

My husband bought one with an industry discount and it’s fab. We’ve been using it between us about 15 times a week. Yes they’re expensive but in all honesty if anyone considers a spin bike a “status symbol” then they’re just a knob 😂 it’s just a spin bike 🙄

I bloody love mine! Worth every penny. I’ve had so much use out of it and I really feel it’s made the pandemic less stressful for me.

I got mine early April, just at the gyms shut.An absolute blessing. I worked through the height of covid so to come home and ‘switch off’ with a class was great.

Thought I’d update on here about my bike, I bought the Life Fitness IC5. It’s ok. It does what it’s supposed to but I think I was so used to the technogym bikes at my gym that this is struggling in comparison. The handles are a lot less padded which is only a little thing but I don’t find them as comfortable so I put my towel over which helps. I feel like it’s not quite as sturdy as I am used to and I can feel that a bit if I’m sprinting or doing a standing incline sprint. And I’m struggling with the gear lever. Instead of the usual one you turn clockwise to go up a gear this is a lever that goes up and down. The resistance is 1-100 so I feel like I spend a lot of time faffing to get the gear I want whereas the spin bikes I am used to were a lot easier. All in all though it does the job but sometimes I wish I’d spent the extra and got a technogym one.

I’ve downloaded the free trials of the Les Mills and Peloton apps to do some spin classes and found the Les Mills one a bit cheesy and irritating. I’ve only done one on that app but there was no instruction about resistance or cadence and the instructor spent a lot of time singing to the music and just generally annoying me. I’ve done a couple of the Peloton ones now and I’m really enjoying them and today did one of the outside walk/runs one. Really like the instructors and all the positivity and can see me using the meditation section too. I don’t regret not buying the Peloton bike as I could still get bored of the app but overall so far really impressed.

Eee this was interesting to read! I’m really considering buying a Peleton bike. I’m missing the gym so much (would usually be there everyday!) and need something exciting to do at home. It’s expensive but I just can’t see how gyms are going to be open all throughout this year with the way things are going. Very tempted to make the plunge but it’s the £39 subscription that I’m a bit 😬 about

Eee this was interesting to read! I’m really considering buying a Peleton bike. I’m missing the gym so much (would usually be there everyday!) and need something exciting to do at home. It’s expensive but I just can’t see how gyms are going to be open all throughout this year with the way things are going. Very tempted to make the plunge but it’s the £39 subscription that I’m a bit 😬 about
I have a cheaper spin bike then pay the £12.99 a month for the Peloton digital app. The only thing I don’t have doing it this way is my stats on screen but I don’t feel I need that. It’s a cheaper way of doing it plus I’ve got the flexibility that if I want to use a different programme I can, like I might try out the free trial for Apple Fitness plus and might find I prefer their spin classes. I do think Peloton are awesome though, I love the classes but just letting you know there is a cheaper way around it that I think is kind of best of both worlds

Reactions: 1
I've had mine for a year & one of the best investments I have made, but also have friends who have bought amazon bikes & use the app & swear by that too so I think it all just depends on personal choice/circumstance whether you feel it's worth the money. If anyone wants to take the plunge on a Peloton I have a code for £100 off referral :)

I have a cheaper spin bike then pay the £12.99 a month for the Peloton digital app. The only thing I don’t have doing it this way is my stats on screen but I don’t feel I need that. It’s a cheaper way of doing it plus I’ve got the flexibility that if I want to use a different programme I can, like I might try out the free trial for Apple Fitness plus and might find I prefer their spin classes. I do think Peloton are awesome though, I love the classes but just letting you know there is a cheaper way around it that I think is kind of best of both worlds
Also considering this as an alternative so thank you! Do you use the app on an iPad with a screen holder or your TV? My thing that’s putting me off buying a Peleton is the need for the £39 app for the bike to work opposed to the cost of the bike.