Peloton

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Yes it is, I’m cancelling mine too. I feel so guilty about it as I know gyms will become another area that suffer as a result of the pandemic but I just don’t feel a gym is where I want to be at the moment. Not to mention I always felt pretty intimidated there and hated going so barely went 😬 They talked me into freezing my membership and seeing how I feel in 3 months...I am such a pushover 🙄
Don’t feel guilty about it! I know we’re being encouraged to get out there and spend spend spend to help the economy but that’s the government’s job not ours. I feel no blame at all in cancelling things I won’t be able to afford going forward or things that I’ve found a way to do at home etc. Plus my gym is trying its best atm to social distance etc but it’s just not really that feasible, I do worry about going places unnecessarily (we’re in another lockdown in Manchester as it is with nobody wearing masks!)

Reactions: 1
Don’t feel guilty about it! I know we’re being encouraged to get out there and spend spend spend to help the economy but that’s the government’s job not ours. I feel no blame at all in cancelling things I won’t be able to afford going forward or things that I’ve found a way to do at home etc. Plus my gym is trying its best atm to social distance etc but it’s just not really that feasible, I do worry about going places unnecessarily (we’re in another lockdown in Manchester as it is with nobody wearing masks!)
I know you’re right, I’ve got a couple of months to psyche myself up now to completely cancel! My husband and I have decided to invest in some home equipment, like a bike, and some weights & squat rack so I’m helping the economy there. With us both working from home it just makes more sense now, it’s a 45 min round trip to my gym and the one my husband used by work is in the town centre so parking a nightmare. This way we can train whenever we want instead of it feeling like half a day out and we can train together if we want.

I think that Peleton is a status symbol, first and foremost. It was definitely targeted at the Goop-esque wellness crowd first, and then the market expanded.

It’s like by having a Peleton you are telling others what kind of person you are - you’re paying for the name and its association more than the actual exercise, in my view.

Reactions: 8
It is a total status symbol. If it was a really good bike (no idea if it is) and one was really into fitness, I could understand the once off outlay but the subscription every month?

I think that Peleton is a status symbol, first and foremost. It was definitely targeted at the Goop-esque wellness crowd first, and then the market expanded.

It’s like by having a Peleton you are telling others what kind of person you are - you’re paying for the name and its association more than the actual exercise, in my view.
Yes and people who use it call it a "peleton" rather than just saying "exercise bike". Look at me, I can afford it, is what they're saying

Reactions: 6
My mum bought a peloton and LOVES it. She said for her it is well worth the money. She is immunocompromised so sees no return to the gym.

• Heart
Reactions: 8
I have one, I absolutely love it. It’s absolutely not about status or “look at me, I can afford it” as mentioned above :rolleyes:. Hardly anyone even knows I have one, and I use it every day.

Reactions: 10
A friend uses zwift, it's £12.99 a month. I think you need a zwift compatible turbo trainer.

I do not have a Peloton bike but I just downloaded their app. You get 30 days free and then after it is only $12 a month. There is a whole host of workouts: barre, boot camp, running, spinning, HIIT, strength. It is great. I would never get the bike though. I like that some of the classes are live, the rest is saved.

It’s absolutely not about status or “look at me, I can afford it” as mentioned above :rolleyes:
Well it may not be for you, but many others it does seem to be a status symbol.

Is the peloton basic £12.99 membership new? I wondered what they were going to do now apple is entering their space.

A £9.99 a month membership for live classes I might do on top of gym membership as they've cut the classes and hours alot since reopening.

The new bike is even more, but designed to be used for more than just spin. But still bonkers as you'd be better off using a tablet or TV.

I use an American app called Studio Sweat on demand, it’s great value. They have a Website but also a decent app and you can choose a myriad of different types of exercise/classes on it including lots of spin options. I’ve a commercial grade spin bike at home which I bought preloved from a gym. So I just use that and the app for spinning. You can buy a years access to everything , but if you leave the site during the checkout process, they will email you a big discount code to get you to sign up. I paid about $60 for the year and similar for the renewal. They do some live classes also. It’s quite American but there’s a huge choice on the app and lots of different class lengths too.

• Heart
Reactions: 3
We've been thinking about buying a Peleton, especially now that lockdown is +6 months, however I'd hate to think anyone *enjoys* it being exclusive because it's so expensive :(

Tbh the only exercise I've ever enjoyed has been spin classes at Pyscle, at £20 a pop the monthly subscription works out cheaper, without the faff of having to prebook (the booking system is ridiculous I remember having to set a calendar alarm at midday to book onto that week's classes & pray) and fit it in around work/home/etc. The bike feels like it's in line with other bikes of that standard, but I'm not a pro so don't know.

Interestingly Pyscle have just come out with their own offering, the sub is cheaper but the bike is more expensive...

ETA: love all the alternatives mentioned in this thread, thank you, will research all of these x

Reactions: 4
I have a Nordictrack elliptical and got a years sub to iFit for free. Its still early days but so far im enjoying the range of workouts.

• Heart
Reactions: 2
I ended up buying a jll ic400 pro for £469 @heretoreaditall2019 - waiting on it to arrive, but it’s belt driven with a heavy flywheel (22kg as opposed to apex’s piss poor 4kg) and magnetic resistance, all exactly what I was looking for. I taught spin for years so will report back!

ETA: no one has got their apex, right? I am only seeing tales of multi delays with even the first orders only being projected to ship in November so would caution against ordering one in case they have a huge backlog!

Last edited:
  • Heart
I ended up buying a jll ic400 pro for £469 @heretoreaditall2019 - waiting on it to arrive, but it’s belt driven with a heavy flywheel (22kg as opposed to apex’s piss poor 4kg) and magnetic resistance, all exactly what I was looking for. I taught spin for years so will report back!

ETA: no one has got their apex, right? I am only seeing tales of multi delays with even the first orders only being projected to ship in November so would caution against ordering one in case they have a huge backlog!
ooooh that price point is fab thank you I’m going to look into that, and you taught spin that’s so cool! Would love to hear your review on it tbh, thank you!

• Heart
Ive had my IC5 delivered now, was pretty easy to put together and so far so good, I’m pretty pleased with it. I’m thinking about trying the Les Mills on demand free trial to see what the spin classes on there are like but generally I think I will just make up my own classes as I go along.

• Heart
Reactions: 3
ooooh that price point is fab thank you I’m going to look into that, and you taught spin that’s so cool! Would love to hear your review on it tbh, thank you!
I bought from their eBay store as I get nectar points 😂👵🏻 I’m really excited, it ticks all my boxes on paper so if it lives up to that, you won’t do much better!

• Heart
I have a Peloton and absolutely love it. I agree it is expensive compared to others, but you can do interest free payments of 50 quid for 39 months for the bike (total 1950) plus the 39 quid for the app. Comes to just under 90 quid a month but split between me and my husband that's 45 each which is a reasonable gym membership price IMO. Also this isn't just for a spin class... More on this later.

Now I am never the type to go for luxury brands or status symbols. I don't even own a designer bag or watch, can't understand why people would spend hundreds on shoes. Hate those who measure their own worth and others by how much designer tit they own.

But the Peloton really does seem to be a cut above the rest. We did SO much research-believe me my husband spent ages watching YouTube videos and reviews etc as did I. We almost went for the wattbike or nordic track instead and were going to just use the Peloton app (which is only 12.99 without the bike).

However I have never ever treated myself to anything premium or 'top of the range' before and after speaking to a couple of people who have the Peloton we just went for it. Initially its a 30 day trial anyway so if you decide its not worth it you can send the bike back.

I don't regret it at all. Firstly the bike looks amazing, it's so sleek and streamlined. Stream quality is amazing. The bike just feels good, much better than any spin bike I have been on, and I've been on a lot! But also the class quality is amazing, there's so many different instructors and class types to suit everyone. Plus if you used this app on another bike you wouldn't get the metrics show up on screen which is personally what pushes me to go further and improve upon every time I ride. It also shows you on a leader board against every other person in the world who has done that particular ride so its good for friendly competition etc.

Also the app isn't just spin classes. There's yoga, strength, cardio, running, bootcamp, stretching and they've just introduced barre (I'm hoping pilates is next!) Also bike bootcamp which is where you spend part of a class on the bike and part of the class in the floor with weights. Again all really good quality classes with decent music. If you have a few weights and a mat at home you're all set. Les Mills pales in comparison, I found this app horrendously cheesy, outdated and most of the music is awful cover songs.

Finally there's also a massive 'Peloton community' which isn't really my thing but there's Facebook groups and forums you can join where you all decide to ride together at a certain time etc. Plus lots of support, people have made friendships etc.

I must just sound like I work for Peloton but I genuinely love it and it's been worth it for me.

• Heart
Reactions: 9
I bought from their eBay store as I get nectar points 😂👵🏻 I’m really excited, it ticks all my boxes on paper so if it lives up to that, you won’t do much better!
omg my £14 of nectar points are one of my life’s greatest achievements, you also get cashback on eBay it’s why I use them over amazon for those little house bits (like furniture felt pads or those removable sticky pads for frames) 💁🏻‍♀️

• Haha
omg my £14 of nectar points are one of my life’s greatest achievements, you also get cashback on eBay it’s why I use them over amazon for those little house bits (like furniture felt pads or those removable sticky pads for frames) 💁🏻‍♀️
Sometimes I think you are me 😂

@Sw4 I’m exactly the same, don’t really go for big blowout lux purchases. The only thing that put me off the peloton was being tied into peleton, if that makes sense? I totally rate the concept and it isn’t so successful for no reason! Peleton has so much good feedback, that if this spin bike doesn’t work out I will actually stick it on gumtree and invest in big P!

• Heart
Reactions: 2
I have a Peloton and absolutely love it. I agree it is expensive compared to others, but you can do interest free payments of 50 quid for 39 months for the bike (total 1950) plus the 39 quid for the app. Comes to just under 90 quid a month but split between me and my husband that's 45 each which is a reasonable gym membership price IMO. Also this isn't just for a spin class... More on this later.

Now I am never the type to go for luxury brands or status symbols. I don't even own a designer bag or watch, can't understand why people would spend hundreds on shoes. Hate those who measure their own worth and others by how much designer tit they own.

But the Peloton really does seem to be a cut above the rest. We did SO much research-believe me my husband spent ages watching YouTube videos and reviews etc as did I. We almost went for the wattbike or nordic track instead and were going to just use the Peloton app (which is only 12.99 without the bike).

However I have never ever treated myself to anything premium or 'top of the range' before and after speaking to a couple of people who have the Peloton we just went for it. Initially its a 30 day trial anyway so if you decide its not worth it you can send the bike back.

I don't regret it at all. Firstly the bike looks amazing, it's so sleek and streamlined. Stream quality is amazing. The bike just feels good, much better than any spin bike I have been on, and I've been on a lot! But also the class quality is amazing, there's so many different instructors and class types to suit everyone. Plus if you used this app on another bike you wouldn't get the metrics show up on screen which is personally what pushes me to go further and improve upon every time I ride. It also shows you on a leader board against every other person in the world who has done that particular ride so its good for friendly competition etc.

Also the app isn't just spin classes. There's yoga, strength, cardio, running, bootcamp, stretching and they've just introduced barre (I'm hoping pilates is next!) Also bike bootcamp which is where you spend part of a class on the bike and part of the class in the floor with weights. Again all really good quality classes with decent music. If you have a few weights and a mat at home you're all set. Les Mills pales in comparison, I found this app horrendously cheesy, outdated and most of the music is awful cover songs.

Finally there's also a massive 'Peloton community' which isn't really my thing but there's Facebook groups and forums you can join where you all decide to ride together at a certain time etc. Plus lots of support, people have made friendships etc.

I must just sound like I work for Peloton but I genuinely love it and it's been worth it for me.
This. We have one ordered during lock down came9 weeks later worth waiting for-told absolutely no one except my parents-do a class most days at nap time -or bed time -the quality of classes music instructors community has really surprised and impressed me. I understand what people say about status showing off that's probably definitely been the reason I've not told anyone 😔 but it enriches my days and I feel I'm getting quality equipment even down to delivery and set up customer care etc and I am right now beyond grateful to have it x

• Heart
Reactions: 6