Paying off debt support

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
If you can do it by March then it is definitely worth throwing everything at it, that's not far off at all!!

Do you have any bits you can sell? I used to sell stuff on local Facebook sites etc and then keep the money from that in a jar (I used it to buy clothes for children - also from the Facebook sites! But it could also be your money for little treats etc )
I need to do a big sort out as I have so much clutter, so selling things that are in decent condition is a good idea tbf.

Reactions: 1
My bank gave me a 3 month break with my loan repayments after a terrible manic episode in which I took out £3k I didn't need, blew through it and then used 2 credit cards at £650 combined to cover living costs. Payments restart next month.

I'm a student with no financial support outside tuition fees and don't earn enough to pay everything. I've had to fall behind on other bills just to make sure I can afford it again come next month. I've borrowed over £1400 from family to help me survive as I've been broke and living out my overdraft all year. Just feel like I'm stuck in a cycle. Hoping to pay at least one cc off in full come payday but even just after bills I have nothing for the month.

Cost of living increasing is terrifying me too, I already can't afford anything. I'll be reading through this whole thread for advice so far, just need a rant really. I had a perfect credit score and no debt and now I feel rubbish about it.

• Heart
  • Sad
Reactions: 9
I think I need to stay off the glam threads on here as it's making me want to buy everything and I really can't as I need to keep tunnel vision on paying off this credit card

Reactions: 7
I think I need to stay off the glam threads on here as it's making me want to buy everything and I really can't as I need to keep tunnel vision on paying off this credit card
I’ve not even dared read that thread as last year I blew £100s on skin care/make up after reading threads on mumsnet 🤦‍♀️ I stay away now lol.

On a positive note I’ve made £116 so far this month selling things. Hoping to put at least £30 of it towards debt, the rest has covered some of the school uniform and towards my eldest child’s birthday. This time of year is crap for me paying off debt, there’s uniforms etc, sons birthday sep, daughters 18th in October, then Christmas with 4 kids 😩

• Heart
Reactions: 5
After yesterday's post, and me feeling a bit like I'm missing out. I've done some maths and realised with my payment to my credit card next month, I will under £1,000 on there 🥺😭❤ so overwhelmed and grateful to be at this stage.

Keep going everyone, I know it seems impossible but we can get there and be debt free ❤

• Heart
Reactions: 10
Anybody else sick to bleeping death of having to spend money? I'm massively in debt which my parents have helped me with - with the promise of me paying them back every month which goes without question. Ive set up a payment plan and trying to stick to budget but I seem to be paying for everything in my relationship. I also have a baby on the way and can financially only take 3 months off for maternity which I'm gutted about but with the rising costs of life atm I've got no choice. My partner has a good job and makes good money but I seem to pay for the majority of things? Shopping - most of the baby items. I feel so anxious all of the time I'm in such a rut I can't seem to get out off

• Heart
Reactions: 6
Anybody else sick to bleeping death of having to spend money? I'm massively in debt which my parents have helped me with - with the promise of me paying them back every month which goes without question. Ive set up a payment plan and trying to stick to budget but I seem to be paying for everything in my relationship. I also have a baby on the way and can financially only take 3 months off for maternity which I'm gutted about but with the rising costs of life atm I've got no choice. My partner has a good job and makes good money but I seem to pay for the majority of things? Shopping - most of the baby items. I feel so anxious all of the time I'm in such a rut I can't seem to get out off
At the risk of asking the obvious, have you spoken to your partner about how you feel you're paying for everything?

At the risk of asking the obvious, have you spoken to your partner about how you feel you're paying for everything?
I've always been so independent and havent ever asked for help off anyone and it was a big thing asking for help from parents. I've discussed it with him prev but it never changes so i just feel like it's easier to put up with it but just grips my tit. I know it's my bloody fault too

• Sad
I've always been so independent and havent ever asked for help off anyone and it was a big thing asking for help from parents. I've discussed it with him prev but it never changes so i just feel like it's easier to put up with it but just grips my tit. I know it's my bloody fault too
Would you feel comfortable sitting down and working out finances together and who pays what?

Would you feel comfortable sitting down and working out finances together and who pays what?
Weve done this a million times before 😢 he's not tight with money he's so chill and I know if I needed anything he would give me his last 1p but I find it so awkward asking for help.

• Heart
  • Sad
Reactions: 4
Weve done this a million times before 😢 he's not tight with money he's so chill and I know if I needed anything he would give me his last 1p but I find it so awkward asking for help.
Putting aside all of the other issues, I just want to say, don’t buy into buying loads of stuff for baby. They need somewhere to sleep, something to wear and something to eat, that’s it until they are months old.
No need for changing stations, a towel on a surface works and Aldi nappies and wipes are amongst the best. Outfits aren’t needed, just 7-10 baby grows and the same vests and definitely no shoes. They don’t need soap and bath products for a month or so (if hardly at all). Baby furniture is a waste of time, normal furniture is just as good and lasts longer. Second hand travel systems are fine. A new or trusted car seat and a new mattress are needed but otherwise, try to be flexible where you can. Even put things in your Amazon basket or wish list but don’t click ‘buy’ until baby is here and you know you need them.

I know it’s super exciting but I cannot tell you how happy I was to have paid £100 for the travel system we wanted second hand (I paid £45 extra for new fabrics and cleaned it super well, it looked brand new) rather than £895 new. For one we got stuck in lock down and used the bassinet approx 4 times, 2. I hated folding it for the car, it was totally impractical On my own, pretty much impossible 3. Once she could walk she refused to go in it so it became utterly useless after about 14 months.

Of course if you’ve already made big buys then enjoy, it’s a once in a life time but if not, baby will never know the difference and your pocket will thank you allowing for money to be spent at a later stage when they do know

• Heart
Reactions: 12
Putting aside all of the other issues, I just want to say, don’t buy into buying loads of stuff for baby. They need somewhere to sleep, something to wear and something to eat, that’s it until they are months old.
No need for changing stations, a towel on a surface works and Aldi nappies and wipes are amongst the best. Outfits aren’t needed, just 7-10 baby grows and the same vests and definitely no shoes. They don’t need soap and bath products for a month or so (if hardly at all). Baby furniture is a waste of time, normal furniture is just as good and lasts longer. Second hand travel systems are fine. A new or trusted car seat and a new mattress are needed but otherwise, try to be flexible where you can. Even put things in your Amazon basket or wish list but don’t click ‘buy’ until baby is here and you know you need them.

I know it’s super exciting but I cannot tell you how happy I was to have paid £100 for the travel system we wanted second hand (I paid £45 extra for new fabrics and cleaned it super well, it looked brand new) rather than £895 new. For one we got stuck in lock down and used the bassinet approx 4 times, 2. I hated folding it for the car, it was totally impractical On my own, pretty much impossible 3. Once she could walk she refused to go in it so it became utterly useless after about 14 months.

Of course if you’ve already made big buys then enjoy, it’s a once in a life time but if not, baby will never know the difference and your pocket will thank you allowing for money to be spent at a later stage when they do know
Thankyou for this ❤🙌

Can any finance folk help me with this? I am always clearing full balances on credit cards but have one with a balance transfer so I don’t clear it but make more than min payment each month.

I’ve had a difficult time lately and thought I’d paid until I checked the app before and I had a late payment fee five days ago 😣 first late payment for anything in years. I paid then spoke to the CC provider and they said they’d waive the fee and my promotion (0%) would be unaffected.

Will this automatically go on my credit file or do CC providers typically have a moratorium period before reporting to credit reference agencies? I’ve read online it can be 30-60 days but that’s mostly US websites.

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 2
I'm in a financial crisis at the moment.

My credit card is maxed at £2250
My bank balance is -2.99
My Help2Buy is £300

I'm in a long distance relationship and it's costing me a fortune visiting London two-three times a month. He lets me stay at his without any cost, which is amazing but just the general cost of living (existing) there is extortionate.

I've crisis budgeted (the kind where you're strict and leave no spare cash to play with) and in the next five months, I could have my credit card cleared. I know it will make me feel immensely better and it's important I stick to it, but with both our birthdays and Christmas approaching it's going to be difficult.

Here for anyone else who might be in the same boat ❤

I've been there too.
This year I switched from a Mac/Nars foundation to Rimmel (often on offer at 2 for £12) and have never received more compliments!

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 3
I'm in a financial crisis at the moment.

My credit card is maxed at £2250
My bank balance is -2.99
My Help2Buy is £300

I'm in a long distance relationship and it's costing me a fortune visiting London two-three times a month. He lets me stay at his without any cost, which is amazing but just the general cost of living (existing) there is extortionate.

I've crisis budgeted (the kind where you're strict and leave no spare cash to play with) and in the next five months, I could have my credit card cleared. I know it will make me feel immensely better and it's important I stick to it, but with both our birthdays and Christmas approaching it's going to be difficult.

Here for anyone else who might be in the same boat ❤

I've been there too.
This year I switched from a Mac/Nars foundation to Rimmel (often on offer at 2 for £12) and have never received more compliments!
Daft question but is he travelling to see you too to even out the travel expense?

Daft question but is he travelling to see you too to even out the travel expense?
He has done in the past and would yes, however, I live with my parents and he lives with just a housemate, so it is "better" for me to go down there ;)

He has done in the past and would yes, however, I live with my parents and he lives with just a housemate, so it is "better" for me to go down there ;)
Do you drive? Or travel by train? Wondering if you could consider taking Megabus as that can work out very reasonable.

Do you drive? Or travel by train? Wondering if you could consider taking Megabus as that can work out very reasonable.
I take the train, it's £104 return and takes me around 4 hours with changes.

I do drive, but haven't considered driving to London because I believe I'd pay toll roads, ULEZ charge, possibly congestion charge depending time and don't know where I can park in Lambeth for a weekend... he doesn't drive so doesn't have parking permits. I have emailed the council to understand visitors permits but waiting a response.. plus of course petrol and driving in London seems chaotic 🤭

Mega bus is a good shout.
I tend to meet him in central London after work on a Friday around 6pm, so would have to take half a day holiday or unpaid, but the cost saving could be worthwhile....

Here is a link for various Railcards:

I know you said you usually go there, but have you considered meeting half way? You could book a cheap B&B and make a weekend of it?

I know it will be uncomfortable, but have you discussed this with your boyfriend and told him your concerns?

Here is a link for various Railcards:

I know you said you usually go there, but have you considered meeting half way? You could book a cheap B&B and make a weekend of it?

I know it will be uncomfortable, but have you discussed this with your boyfriend and told him your concerns?
Thankyou!

Unfortunately I'm not eligible for any railcards 🥺

Yes, we've met up various places.
Usually a similar expense after paying for a room, travel and food.

We talked about it and he's been understanding. We're both really open, so much so that we were just 'seeing' each other for six months at the start with no pressure for the long distance thing to work out and we could both see other people, we've tried longer periods of time not meeting up to reduce monthly costs (which has been increasingly difficult) and have found this is most cost effective.

Once I pay my debts, I plan to move down to London. Short term. My boyfriend is studying for three years, then wants to move outside of London too for a better quality of life. My current employer lets us work from home on rotation, I'm hoping they offer to let me work from home full time (maybe pop into the office a few days a month, which I can tie in with visiting friends and family)

I might find a job in London that's better paid, but it'd be nice to ease into that rather than a big move across country, first time living with a boy and the prospect of getting a new job all at once.