Pay rises and promotions

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Would love to hear tips and any experiences! Have you asked for a pay rise or promotion and were you successful?

I'm new into my career, did a 6 month paid internship before being hired as permenant staff about 9 months ago. I feel like I'm doing more than is on my job description and have been looking at advertised roles at other organisations and I think I am definitely qualified for a more senior role. I don't want to leave my job, but also don't want to get stuck at this level and could really do with more pay. They have even mentioned in passing ways that they are saving money because work that I can do now has replaced them having to commission it.

I know a lot of companies right now would be unable to increase pay due to covid but I might just try asking anyway. At least if they say no because of that then I can ask to revisit the conversation in a few months. And as far as I know, we haven't been affected as much by covid as other industries.

I hope this topic doesn't appear insensitive as I know times are tough financially now for many. Part of the reason for me wanting a pay rise is my partner has had less work due to covid. But I've never negotiated before so want to be as prepared as possible!

Reactions: 2
Advice from my friend when I was thinking about it (but I ended up leaving and moving the other side of the country) is to go in with all the facts. Show the money you bring in to the firm, what others in a similar position are being paid and be realistic. With Covid they could say no but then ask could this be reviewed in say 3 months. Ask if there are areas they want you to work on etc show them that you are dedicated to your role and finally good luck

Reactions: 3
I appreciate your situation and agree with you but I think unfortunately payrise is such a taboo topic in our country. As soon as you mention to someone that you'd like to discuss a payrise, they are astounded for some reason. If you can justify and show that the money you bring in Vs what you get paid is significantly less then it's a conversation worth having. In the worst case scenario they can say no but then you would know where you stand and can look for other opportunities. If they say let's discuss it in a few months time then that also gives you an opportunity to look for something better.

Someone once told me (and it may not be true) that you should make money 3 times your salary for your employer...

I've never considered it to be taboo, I know people commonly consider discussing money uncomfortable but regarding pay rise and promotion I always assumed if you wanted more money you don't get if you don't ask. Though to be fair as I said haven't had experience negotiating. I'm happy to ask and if they refuse, even after giving them a chance to revisit the conversation in the near future, then I know to keep my options open and would consider moving jobs if it was a better position and salary.

@Countrybumpkingirl yeah it can be tricky to compare depending on industry I guess. I work in campaigning and currently earn below 20k (I'm in the UK). It will be interesting to hear some experiences as it isn't something I've seen discussed very openly.

Reactions: 1
Someone once told me (and it may not be true) that you should make money 3 times your salary for your employer...
😳 last year I brought in £140k for my employer as a trainee (which is just above the norm for those fully qualified) and my salary is £19k before tax

My two pence worth..

I work in a Male dominated industry.. I worked for the same company for a few years this is going back a few years, and knew my male counterparts where on much more for doing the same role as me... I proved my worth and asked for a pay rise and gave them the chance to rectify the issue.

They made a big deal of it and played it on thick that they didnt want to lose me and of course would give me a pay rise. They did and it was a pittance so within 6 months I had a new job somewhere else which was a promotion on around 45k p.a more. The lesson for me in this was show a company what you are worth be brilliant at your job and always ask for what you are worth.

If you dont get it leave and go somewhere else.. this is all pre covid of course and things are different know. But as they return to some normality I think this advice still stands..

Reactions: 4
Not all industries are the same however I would say in the current situation it’s a tricky one as so many companies are having to make redundancies and cut costs and I think even if that isn’t the case will be watching the pennies carefully for the next 6-12 months to see what happens next.

Also my advice is to wait until a year in your current role. You accepted a job with a salary and that is the terms in which you took the job on. I hope this doesn’t come across cheeky but 9 months into a career doesn’t necessarily qualify for promotion. It’s a time for learning and development and showing your worth and learning your strengths and weaknesses to develop. We should have open conversations with our managers with what we want in our career and if they can’t offer what you want then that’s fine but if you ask to soon they may view that you want to use that job as a stop gap and plan on moving on soon anyway so won’t want to invest in you as much.

Absolutely no harm in asking and laying your cards out on the table, at least then you know where you stand. I started in my company 6 years ago and since then my salary has doubled from me consistently requesting pay rises based on my market value and my value to the company

What I would recommend in order to ask is to build your case. Look up comparable roles and the rate of pay they are offering, demonstrate the added value you consistently provide and make sure it’s all presented well along with your request letter in a folder which can easily be presented to your manager and further up the chain, then put a meeting in with your manager and sit down and talk them through it all. Given the current times I would ensure you know the company is in a strong position before requesting but otherwise good luck! 😊

I have a question on similar lines to this topic.
I have an interview this week and the salary is in a bracket. Even the lower end of the bracket is 1000 more than I’m on now but does anyone have any advice on how to approach discussing salary if I think I am worth the lower end and want to suggest I would expect a salary of 3000 more than what I am on now (middle of their salary bracket)? Hope that makes sense..

I have an interview this week and the salary is in a bracket. Even the lower end of the bracket is 1000 more than I’m on now but does anyone have any advice on how to approach discussing salary if I think I am worth the lower end and want to suggest I would expect a salary of 3000 more than what I am on now (middle of their salary bracket)? Hope that makes sense..
You’re always going to want a jump in salary for a move to another company. €1k of an increase wouldn’t be enough to entice me to move companies unless I was miserable with said company. Maybe tell them that you feel that the middle of the bracket matches your worth and experience.

You’re always going to want a jump in salary for a move to another company. €1k of an increase wouldn’t be enough to entice me to move companies unless I was miserable with said company. Maybe tell them that you feel that the middle of the bracket matches your worth and experience.
Thanks. I am still quite entry level, my current job I have been in for nearly 2 years and is my first ‘proper’ job. I really am sick of it now as management are awful so anything else will do in my opinion 😂 good idea, thank you for the reply x

Bare in mind the new company have no way of knowing what your current salary is unreal you tell them. I’d always say when asked about salary ‘I’m looking for x amount to be on par with what I’m on as a minimum’ but add around 2k to my current salary. Chances are they won’t offer you less than that or might offer more to secure you. The risk of course is they go with a ‘cheaper’ candidate.

I’ve worked in recruitment and management for around 8/9 years and there’s no exact rules of what works and what doesn’t

I have recently taken on a managerial role (with no pay increase) and am going to leave it a few months to see if things in the world calm down somewhat, and then I may ask as well.

I had a 121 with my manager a year ago, said the salary is ridiculous for my job role (basically a manager’s job with all the stress etc but on an admin colleague wage/grade) and I’d had enough. Ended up with a few job interviews elsewhere (didn’t get anywhere with them) and my manager was desperate to keep me so said she would talk to the senior manager about a pay rise/promotion. Also promised a restructure and said I’d be given a promotion no problem.

A whole year later I’m in exactly the same job, no pay rise, no restructure, developed anxiety symptoms, hate the thought of working. In the past year there’s been talk of a pay rise, I was put forward for a promotion and told I had it in the bag only to be told they were looking for someone with an extra qualification. So I’ve finally put my foot down and asked to be demoted. Been messed around with that as well, kept me hanging in til the very last minute until I kicked off. Joke of a place.