Overrated bands and Artists

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Can't have a music forum without this one lol

Ed Sheeran - Sings tacky pub songs and bad Irish covers.

Adele - All her music sounds the same really. Likes to pull on the heart strings too much for mass appeal

Amy Winehouse - Yes she was good but she was throwing her career away anyway a before she died. Couldn't even finish a gig. I don't think she did enough to earn the 'greats' status

Queen - Have that annoying God-worship status - decent but not great.

Foo Fighters - Had a few good songs early on but now it's just bland festival friendly noise. Even Taylor Hawkins cringed when someone called him a 'rock legend'

Will no doubt think of more

Reactions: 10
Completely agree with you on Ed Sheeran and Adele! Also, Coldplay, Lewis Capaldi and, dare I say it, Dua Lipa. Just very, very average

Reactions: 10
Can't have a music forum without this one lol

Ed Sheeran - Sings tacky pub songs and bad Irish covers.

Adele - All her music sounds the same really. Likes to pull on the heart strings too much for mass appeal

Amy Winehouse - Yes she was good but she was throwing her career away anyway a before she died. Couldn't even finish a gig. I don't think she did enough to earn the 'greats' status

Queen - Have that annoying God-worship status - decent but not great.

Foo Fighters - Had a few good songs early on but now it's just bland festival friendly noise. Even Taylor Hawkins cringed when someone called him a 'rock legend'

Will no doubt think of more
Agree with most of that. Foos only had one good album (the first one). Definitely a singles band for me and they get by on the strength of Dave's likeability.

Coldplay - I don't even know how to describe their more recent stuff, other than the fact that I actually cringe inwardly for them.

Adele - I think she has stopped smoking but you can definitely tell she used to. Her foghorn voice is not suited to the belters that she likes to put out.

Ed Sheeran - Just hideous.

Sam Smith - The most dull singer I have ever heard. Forms part of the holy trinity of bland (along with the previous two).

I was once given a lift by a friend of mine. In the car, she gestured towards a pile of CDs and told me to pick one. The choice was Sam Smith, Adele and Ed Sheeran. I died inside.

• Haha
Reactions: 17
Blondie
Duran Duran
The Beatles
Madonna (some good songs but not that great a singer imo)
Spice Girls

• Heart
  • Wow
Reactions: 2
The Beatles
Little mix
Destiny’s Child
Queen
Beyonce
Adele
Ed Sheeran
Madonna
Prince

Reactions: 3
Ed Sheeran. If I hear that tit bad habits song on the radio one. more. time...

• Haha
Reactions: 14
Don't understand the ' musical genius' status with these
Eric Clapton
Jay Z
Bob Dylan
Beyonce
Lady Gaga
Red Hot Chilli Peppers
The Ramones

At best, wedding singers, at worse, pub karaoke
Dua Lipa
Sam Smith
Ed Sheeran
Harry Styles
Rita Ora
Shakira
Selena Gomez
Lewis Capaldi
Ellie Goulding
Jennifer Lopez

Reactions: 8
Don't understand the ' musical genius' status with these
Eric Clapton
Jay Z
Bob Dylan
Beyonce
Lady Gaga
Red Hot Chilli Peppers
The Ramones

At best, wedding singers, at worse, pub karaoke
Dua Lipa
Sam Smith
Ed Sheeran
Harry Styles
Rita Ora
Shakira
Selena Gomez
Lewis Capaldi
Ellie Goulding
Jennifer Lopez
I read somewhere that RHCP are considered a bit of a joke band in America but they managed to do well over here (particularly in the early 00's). Not sure how true that is though.

Reactions: 5
I read somewhere that RHCP are considered a bit of a joke band in America but they managed to do well over here (particularly in the early 00's). Not sure how true that is though.
I've heard that too. They do seem to get a lot more love in Europe than in the US. I'm not a fan of slap bass. I liked the By The Way album, but it seems a bit dated now.

Reactions: 1
Yes. Years ago I read in NME they struggled with the american market because guns n roses and nirvana were blowing everyone away over there.

Yes. Years ago I read in NME they struggled with the american market because guns n roses and nirvana were blowing everyone away over there.
I think the frequent on-stage nakedness/sock photo made a lot of people doubt their credibility as well.

Just been reminded of George Ezra. I only ever hear his songs in shops, then they get stuck in my head for the rest of the day. Horrible bellowing voice. Sounds like he burps the chorus of that Shotgun song.

• Haha
Reactions: 13
I read a comment on Twitter ages ago that said that Sam Smith ‘sings like a bedwetter’ which was so nonsensical it tickled me, but now every time I listen to him it’s all I think of and it’s put me off him anyway 😆

• Haha
Reactions: 11
I agree with almost all of your choices, so no need to repeat. To answer the RHCP question, in the states I know some pretty culty bass/guitar players who worship them lol.
Olivia Rodrigo is a bit industry plant-ish for me (my BFF loves her and keeps trying to share her music with me lol). I just can’t do it.
Katy perry
P!Nik is just cringe to me I know she’s dope, but not her music.
selena Gomez-not talented at singing or songwriting
JB and his “I’m a recovered bad boy” image rebrand
Shawn mendez
Any of the girl group people trying to make it solo (Camilla cabello) I’ve seen her live before the Tswift concert and she was whatever. Charli xcx also preformed before hand and was meh. The stadium was not full yet so idk if they just don’t feel excited to preform. But, man low energy from them both.

I could write a book, so I’ll stop there.

Reactions: 5
I don't know if she counts as overrated but I don't know how Jess Glynne keeps getting booked. Her voice is so profoundly unpleasant to listen to.

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 24
I don't know if she counts as overrated but I don't know how Jess Glynne keeps getting booked. Her voice is so profoundly unpleasant to listen to.
Probably because her mum's in the record industry. I agree, she's painful to listen to and not a nice person by all accounts. She seems to have been reduced to performing gigs after the races now, along with Kaiser Chiefs, Olly Murs and Rag & Bone Man (what happened to him, he was the Emeli Sande of 2017?).

• Haha
Reactions: 7