Open University- have you studied with them?

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Hi everyone Merry Christmas

Thought this would be a great place to ask about Open University. I’m a stay at home Mum to three boys and come September my youngest will be in pre school, my middle child will be starting primary and my eldest starting secondary.

For the first time in 5 years this will be a chance for me to focus on my future career. I’ve made a note of all the things that interest me and the ones I could maybe do as leisure courses (like creative writing) and trying to focus on the courses that will open as many doors as possible for me career wise.

I’ll be 31 in Jan and I don’t want to waste time or money. It’s the fear of the unknown really! However after checking out local colleges it just won’t work with school runs and hubby’s shifts. My only option that will work with home life is the Open University.

I’m looking into studying psychology and would love to hear if anyone else has had experience with studying with them?

Kathryn

Reactions: 2
I haven‘t myself, but I do study via distance learning and have really preferred it to traditional university (have done both). 3 of my work colleagues are studying with the open uni & love it, I’ve heard all good things, so good luck!

Reactions: 1
I haven‘t myself, but I do study via distance learning and have really preferred it to traditional university (have done both). 3 of my work colleagues are studying with the open uni & love it, I’ve heard all good things, so good luck!

Aww thank you for this!! I have the fear that I would struggle with the work but like you I’ve heard nothing but great things!

I’m nervous and excited 😬
Kathryn

I have studied with the OU on several occasions and I’m starting a History degree in February through them.
I would say if you find a course you love then definitely sign up. The resources available are immense and the funding you receive through student finance (if you go that route) means there’s no repayment until you’re earning over a certain amount per year.

The tutors are generally very friendly (I’ve come across a couple who must have been having an off day). The forums are very useful for chatting to other students studying the same course.

I think it’s a fantastic way to learn as long as you can keep to a study plan. There’s a lot of reading involved on most courses, but it’s not overwhelming.

• Heart
Hi, I’m in my fifth year with the open uni. It’s been great for me with regards to not being in a financial position to go to a full time uni due to working and mortgage commitments. The uni is really well respected by other professionals as they understand how difficult their study can be.
The uni itself has been nothing but fantastic, from tutors to call centre support. I also changed my study path from a degree in early years to an open degree, which gives you more flexibility with modules.
However, it’s hard, really hard. In my third year they began online tutorials, to replace some face to face and I haven’t enjoyed them as much. Yes it’s great sitting in your pjs joining in and no one knows, but I miss the interaction with fellow students. Also, now I have a toddler I’m exhausted by evening when I have my study time. It was easier to do it whilst working full time before children for me. As long as your well organised it can be done.

Thank you so much for this feedback!
See I’m in a real dilemma have two routes I can go down. To train as a counsellor my path is at college completing the accredited diplomas. It begins at level 2 and you just have to keep working your way up to level 4/5 to be a fully qualified counsellor. It’s very much practice based like an nvq. Even with a degree you can’t be a counsellor i would still have to do these diplomas.

Or it’s a university route, get a degree and top it up with a masters etc. However the degree opens more doors outside of psychology/ counselling if I ever change my mind.

I just want to make the right choice financially and time wise as both take long time.

It’s exciting but daunting eeeek

Hi Kathryn
I would say, before you commit to study, dip your toe back into the workplace. Years as a homemaker/raising kids with social media as an activity regularly can really distort what you THINK you want vs what you actually want to do. Being amongst other adults after 4 years out changed my whole outlook. Wishing you the very best for 2020 x

Reactions: 4
Hi Kathryn
I would say, before you commit to study, dip your toe back into the workplace. Years as a homemaker/raising kids with social media as an activity regularly can really distort what you THINK you want vs what you actually want to do. Being amongst other adults after 4 years out changed my whole outlook. Wishing you the very best for 2020 x
Thank you for this. This is great advice. I’m in a constant circle of feeling lost in life. I’ll find my way somehow

Last edited:
Reactions: 4
I haven't studied with them, but I'd def recommend the degree route vs certificate in counselling. A psychology degree is great as it equips you for so many areas - support work, media/journalism (as you said creative writing is of interest), teaching, marketing etc, so at least then if you change your mind about counselling, you'd have options and could cater your work experience or volunteering to that.

Reactions: 3
Studied my undergrad with them - graduated March this year. Started studying postgraduate with them in November last year once receiving my undergrad results.

I have two kids and a full time.job so it's perfect for me. I'm a !massive advocate of what they do. In the job interview for the job I currently have I was asked a lot about study and my.motivations and the skills i had developed from it so I definitely think it gave me an edge. Happy to talk more about it if you want to message me?

I haven't studied with them, but I'd def recommend the degree route vs certificate in counselling. A psychology degree is great as it equips you for so many areas - support work, media/journalism (as you said creative writing is of interest), teaching, marketing etc, so at least then if you change your mind about counselling, you'd have options and could cater your work experience or volunteering to that.
That’s what I was thinking. The psychology opens so many more doors even ones that aren’t related to the field. I was thinking of combining this with volunteering at childline on sat morning.
I want to really utilise this time at home as the opportunity to create a career and get qualified to get a good job. 🥰

Studied my undergrad with them - graduated March this year. Started studying postgraduate with them in November last year once receiving my undergrad results.

I have two kids and a full time.job so it's perfect for me. I'm a !massive advocate of what they do. In the job interview for the job I currently have I was asked a lot about study and my.motivations and the skills i had developed from it so I definitely think it gave me an edge. Happy to talk more about it if you want to message me?
This is incredibly inspiring!! Well done on graduating. Working full time and with kids that’s amazing!! Thank you so much for this! I have a lot of self doubt but I know I can do it 😬

Thank you for this. This is great advice. I’m in a constant circle of feeling lost in life. I’ll find my way somehow
I hope this didn't come across as negative against further study- more that sometimes a change in physical community can help you weed out what you want to aim for. There has been some very encouraging comments here

I hope this didn't come across as negative against further study- more that sometimes a change in physical community can help you weed out what you want to aim for. There has been some very encouraging comments here
Oh no it wasn’t negative at all it was great advice! I’ll keep my eyes opened on the job front. Work times are so tricky with the school runs and hubbys shifts 🤦🏻‍♀️ But I’ll keep checking. Something might just pop up 🙌🏻🙌🏻

That’s what I was thinking. The psychology opens so many more doors even ones that aren’t related to the field. I was thinking of combining this with volunteering at childline on sat morning.
I want to really utilise this time at home as the opportunity to create a career and get qualified to get a good job. 🥰

This is incredibly inspiring!! Well done on graduating. Working full time and with kids that’s amazing!! Thank you so much for this! I have a lot of self doubt but I know I can do it 😬

Yes you can!!!!!

Hi Kathryn!
I didnt attend the OU but I did study Psychology at uni. I would just like to mention about getting a 2.1 - for most further careers in psychology, you need either a 2.1 or 1st to progress. Alot of my peers at undergraduate didnt realise this and then were a bit stuck when they got a 2.2! So it would be worth checking if there is a certain grade you need to progress into counselling.
Best of luck - I found studying Psychology so fascinating!! X

I did my degree with the OU 15 years ago. I loved it but I know how they deliver courses has changed a lot since then. When I did my degree I attended courses and summer school at Bath University - I had piles upon piles of books too. I did start an MA with them last year but couldn’t get on with the fact it was all online - from the reading material to the lectures.

I did some study with the O.U. many years ago. I enjoyed it but much prefer classroom teaching. I wonder if you have looked at futurelearn and coursera for free higher education courses to see if you enjoy distance learning.

Last edited:
i am currently studying psychology with the ou i am loving it but then again i am not one to sit in classrooms for me that just doesnt work studying alone works so well and the fact i am going through ivf no way could i do that and uni at a brick uni but its all down to what works best in your situation feel free to send me a message if need be

Hey everyone aww thank you all so much for your advice!! It was so so helpful.
After A LOT of thought I’m not going to go down the open route.... I’ve enrolled at my local college and I’m starting my first course to become a counsellor. CPCAB level 2, my plan is work through the CPCAB certificates to Level 5 which would qualify me as a counsellor and CBT therapist 🤞🏻🤞🏻

I’m so excited for this new chapter and nervous 🤪

• Heart