Odd Neighbours / Neighbour Problems

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
My neighbours in my old flat were so weird - they moved in shortly after we did (maybe a month or so) and we thought we could be friends with them but despite our attempts to be friendly, they completely ignored us for the first year they were there.

Eventually, the lady knocked on my door in a panic because her smoke alarm went off and she couldn't figure out why and she was concerned it was actually a carbon monoxide alarm. I went into try and help her and all of the floors and furniture in her flat were completely covered in rubbish or other broken things. There was a whole second bedroom they couldn't even get into because there was stuff piled high in the doorway. It was the first time I've seen anything resembling a hoarders home in real life.

After doing some investigation, it turned out there was no fire, and no carbon monoxide, she was just hoovering and the vacuum cleaner had started letting off smoke... I'm not surprised, there was absolutely no floor space, so she must have literally been hoovering the rubbish!

There was also an issue with post and deliveries going missing in the building, I lost all my boyfriend's birthday presents one year as someone else took them. We had no idea who it was but then one day something went missing that was signed for recorded delivery and it showed she had signed for it. She denied having it and I ended up reporting it to the police. That's what made me move in the end.

• Wow
Reactions: 10
My neighbours in my old flat were so weird - they moved in shortly after we did (maybe a month or so) and we thought we could be friends with them but despite our attempts to be friendly, they completely ignored us for the first year they were there.

Eventually, the lady knocked on my door in a panic because her smoke alarm went off and she couldn't figure out why and she was concerned it was actually a carbon monoxide alarm. I went into try and help her and all of the floors and furniture in her flat were completely covered in rubbish or other broken things. There was a whole second bedroom they couldn't even get into because there was stuff piled high in the doorway. It was the first time I've seen anything resembling a hoarders home in real life.

After doing some investigation, it turned out there was no fire, and no carbon monoxide, she was just hoovering and the vacuum cleaner had started letting off smoke... I'm not surprised, there was absolutely no floor space, so she must have literally been hoovering the rubbish!

There was also an issue with post and deliveries going missing in the building, I lost all my boyfriend's birthday presents one year as someone else took them. We had no idea who it was but then one day something went missing that was signed for recorded delivery and it showed she had signed for it. She denied having it and I ended up reporting it to the police. That's what made me move in the end.
Blimey, sounds horrific.

Reactions: 3
Blimey, sounds horrific.
There's quite a lot more that happened that I can't even remember now. It seemed like after that first year where they ignored us, once they spoke to us that first time we couldn't get rid of them.

After we'd made the decision to move and were serving the notice on our flat, there was an incident where either them or a pair if their very drunk friends had a massive argument in the hallway at 3am and punched a giant hole in the wall right on the other side of our bed. Luckily it was a bit covering a waterpipe so just exposed that and not our flat! We then could hear them a few days later loudly complaining about US in the hallway - we were super quiet and helpful!

There's quite a lot more that happened that I can't even remember now. It seemed like after that first year where they ignored us, once they spoke to us that first time we couldn't get rid of them.

After we'd made the decision to move and were serving the notice on our flat, there was an incident where either them or a pair if their very drunk friends had a massive argument in the hallway at 3am and punched a giant hole in the wall right on the other side of our bed. Luckily it was a bit covering a waterpipe so just exposed that and not our flat! We then could hear them a few days later loudly complaining about US in the hallway - we were super quiet and helpful!
Goodness, some people are just animals. You’re well out of that.

Reactions: 4
I had a girl in the small block I used to live in who was living like a hoarder. It was such a shame, she was such a friendly girl too, she wasnt horrible at all! Just a bit of a busy body at times but I think she was just a lonely, single mum who didnt really have any real friends or family. She asked me if I could braid her hair for her one day, she had very long hair, it was very greasy and bless her, as I separated her hair, she had plaques of psoriasis over half an inch thick in places in her scalp, there was so much of it, it looked like I had cracked her skull at first, it also smelt of rotten cabbage and chip grease, it had old food, dandruff and stolen bikes. I felt so sorry for her, I couldnt stomach it and had to tell her I couldnt. Honestly her hair was that dirty it looked like it hadnt been washed in about 2 years.

I helped her clean her flat from top to bottom the first time I ever went in there. I was shocked. She was panicking because a health professional had reported her to the social services because of her living conditions and I helped her sort through the entire flat of rubbish. When I say rubbish, near enough all the food in her cuboards was out of date, bread and rolls so mouldy they looked like a cannibis stash. Layer of cooking grease on everything. Open pissy nappies, half eaten food all over the floor, old take away boxes, broken toys, broken DVDs. Name it, she had it all in this gaff, along with her toddler daughter stood in it all like stig of the dump with a week old pizza crust her gob watching Peppa Pig. She had lots of destitute items like boxes of fossilised phones and cables, VHS scattered everywhere. I'm trying help her throw it all away but as I'm chucking bits away for her, shes sat on her backside, picking things back out of the bin, fondling things like a dismembered McDonalds toys claiming her daughter loves it and she needs to keep it. It took ages and her flat was transformed, she even went out and treated herself to fresh new curtains and soft furnishings. Only for it to be back almost to what it was within a few weeks. 🤦‍♀️

• Wow
  • Sad
Reactions: 18
Our current neighbours have been driving us mad for the last few years. The husband is a handyman who seems to do all his wood cutting and hammering either in the shared driveway or in their own garden. This is often happening from 8am into early evening. Today we had a circular saw and him smashing up concrete to the point where my husband told the wife it is driving him to distraction. She did not take this at all well and said they can do what they want in their garden 🙄 so what do you do?
It’s been awful WFH during lockdown with them either on speakerphone to her daughter in the garden and then phoning 5other people to have the same conversation or him building Noah’s Ark in the garden to the point I’ve had to move rooms as you can hear it all on Skype meetings!

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: 1
Our current neighbours have been driving us mad for the last few years. The husband is a handyman who seems to do all his wood cutting and hammering either in the shared driveway or in their own garden. This is often happening from 8am into early evening. Today we had a circular saw and him smashing up concrete to the point where my husband told the wife it is driving him to distraction. She did not take this at all well and said they can do what they want in their garden 🙄 so what do you do?
It’s been awful WFH during lockdown with them either on speakerphone to her daughter in the garden and then phoning 5other people to have the same conversation or him building Noah’s Ark in the garden to the point I’ve had to move rooms as you can hear it all on Skype meetings!
Are you my neighbour?? 😆 This sounds exactly like the people at the end of my garden! The most inconsiderate neighbours going

Reactions: 1
My neighbour has his tv so loud. There's a constant rumble like thunder, loud bangs and can sometimes hear a heartbeat, I think he plays games like call of duty. Drives me nuts but I've not said anything.
The neighbour at my old house was awful, they'd bang the wall if the kids made noise.

If you’re in Norfolk then I think we may well be neighbours 😆
We are Essex so there are clearly lots of idiots who behave the same!

Our next door neighbours and us have a group chat to whinge about the people at the end of the garden 🤣

• Haha
My old neighbour was an absolute nightmare, always playing loud music everyday day and night. It got so bad one Christmas morning when me and my sister were awoken at 4am xmas morning with the most loud obnoxious rap crap song filled with every swear word know to mankind. My sister was fuming, and went storming round there, as soon as the Neanderthal opened the the door my sister started screaming from months of frustration, and this twit just turned round a said he was up so everyone else should be and to duck off cause it’s his house and he will do what he like ( it was a council property) needless to say, council did duck all and we moved out soon after! He was a world class bleep lol

• Angry
Ours is a really horrible woman. When we moved in we initially felt sorry for her as she’s a widow in her 70s but that quickly changed. She is so bitchy and nosey. She moans about all of the neighbours to each other. She used to constantly knock if we had people over, basically just to find out what we had been up to but would use the excuse of “you’ve parked over a bit of my drive”, “what was that music”, “your cat is chasing birds away in my garden”, “your front garden needs mowing”.

When she found out the couple of other side of her were pregnant the same time as us she said “oh great two screaming kids either side”. She is incredibly rude and reverses into all the cars parked within a 3mile radius of the house and then drives off/lies about doing it. My husband and I used to pander to her and try to accommodate her requests to cut things back and park further away (despite her family often blocking us in without us complaining once). But enough was enough when she complained to the council about some work we were having (that didn’t need her consent). I was 8months pregnant at the time and I think she complained because she didn’t have time to moan about it all before it happened. Anyway this was a few months ago now and it’s absolute bliss as she doesn’t knock or speak to us at all! We just get passive aggressive looks, but more than happy to put up with that as she now leaves us alone and isn’t constantly on the doorstep! All of our other neighbours are lovely.

I think older people are a bit bored which gives them time to be on everyone’s case

Ours is a really horrible woman. When we moved in we initially felt sorry for her as she’s a widow in her 70s but that quickly changed. She is so bitchy and nosey. She moans about all of the neighbours to each other. She used to constantly knock if we had people over, basically just to find out what we had been up to but would use the excuse of “you’ve parked over a bit of my drive”, “what was that music”, “your cat is chasing birds away in my garden”, “your front garden needs mowing”.

When she found out the couple of other side of her were pregnant the same time as us she said “oh great two screaming kids either side”. She is incredibly rude and reverses into all the cars parked within a 3mile radius of the house and then drives off/lies about doing it. My husband and I used to pander to her and try to accommodate her requests to cut things back and park further away (despite her family often blocking us in without us complaining once). But enough was enough when she complained to the council about some work we were having (that didn’t need her consent). I was 8months pregnant at the time and I think she complained because she didn’t have time to moan about it all before it happened. Anyway this was a few months ago now and it’s absolute bliss as she doesn’t knock or speak to us at all! We just get passive aggressive looks, but more than happy to put up with that as she now leaves us alone and isn’t constantly on the doorstep! All of our other neighbours are lovely.

I think older people are a bit bored which gives them time to be on everyone’s case
Why are some old people like this? is it really out of boredom? Loneliness? Like i genuinely want to know why. When i worked in retail, i couldn't believe how mean some old people were to me when i was nothing but polite!

Reactions: 10
Why are some old people like this? is it really out of boredom? Loneliness? Like i genuinely want to know why. When i worked in retail, i couldn't believe how mean some old people were to me when i was nothing but polite!
I work in pensions and I can honestly say a lot of older people are incredibly rude. They act like they are the only customer we have so therefore should drop everything and bow to their every whim.

Reactions: 12
I’ve lived in my road for almost 5 years and didn’t have a problem with anyone until lockdown and I started working from home!

My next door neighbour is an old man he’s sound has an old dog that just sits in the front garden or paces up and down the street.

My other next neighbour is a bit younger than the old man but plays his music reaaaally loud sometimes during the day. If it’s not that then it’s his parrot whistling the McDonalds “I’m lovin it” jingle to balance it out 🤣

A house over the road from me has recently moved in a new boyfriend who is getting kicked out every other night and the police are called. When he’s there he has the front door wide up blaring music full blast when it’s sunny? I have to hope that the weathers bad so that he stays in with the door shut.

There’s a woman at the top of the road who when she shouts every single house can hear her 🌝

Peak lockdown when it was boiling - one house had a karaoke machine in the back garden and was just holding their own private concert.

Also when it’s sunny they all seem to sit in the front gardens aswell? You have an audience putting the bin out

When I was growing up in my childhood home, I had an old next door neighbour just like that. She was a mean old lady that had nothing better to do than complain about all of the neighbours and make a nuisance of herself. I think she saw herself as some kind of neighbourhood watch, though the things she would report to the police or council were ridiculous. She had even stolen our cat, and locked her in her garage. My mum went round and asked if she knew anything about our cat that has been missing for three days. Of course she said no, but then we heard meowing from behind the garage door! She then had the cheek to report us to the RSPCA for neglect and the cat would be better off with her. Just for the record, our beloved cat was well looked after and was a right pudding as she loved her food 🤣

Reactions: 5
When I was growing up in my childhood home, I had an old next door neighbour just like that. She was a mean old lady that had nothing better to do than complain about all of the neighbours and make a nuisance of herself. I think she saw herself as some kind of neighbourhood watch, though the things she would report to the police or council were ridiculous. She had even stolen our cat, and locked her in her garage. My mum went round and asked if she knew anything about our cat that has been missing for three days. Of course she said no, but then we heard meowing from behind the garage door! She then had the cheek to report us to the RSPCA for neglect and the cat would be better off with her. Just for the record, our beloved cat was well looked after and was a right pudding as she loved her food 🤣
omg if someone did that to my cat i cannot even imagine what I'd do. poor poor cat 😥

Reactions: 5
Absolute fruit loop, your poor cat! The local builder parked outside our house a few weeks ago and the awful neighbour reversed straight into his van, got out checked her car then drove off. Didn’t tell him. He knocked on her door to politely ask about it and she played dumb... until he mentioned that she’d been caught on the cctv that most of the neighbours have. Soon changed her tune! 🤣 the cheek of her! She still hasn’t apologised to him, told him off for parking in the street 🤣🤦🏼‍♀️

• Wow
Reactions: 6
I feel so sorry for those of you who have nightmare neighbours, it would be awful 😣 I grew up on a terrace with nice neighbours on either side thankfully, and the rest were nice too, though someone's dog used to poo in our front garden and dad would have to scoop it up many mornings which wasn't very nice, not good for the owner to allow that. Very tame compared to some of your stories, though! We now live in a bungalow in the countryside and don't have any dealings with neighbours.

Oh but let me tell you!!! My fiancé works in Germany and I spent a few years living out there with him, I'm back home in the UK now since covid but travelling back soon I think. Anyway, we live in an apartment block out there and on our floor, our next door neighbour is a Spanish man, he lives alone. He has THE WORST temper I've EVER heard! He goes stone berserk quite regularly, at goodness knows what, roaring and shouting all sorts in Spanish (the only word I've been able to make out is 'puta' which means witch 😅) it's so loud, the whole building must know of him and it's definitely inconsiderate but honestly it cracks me up when I hear him sometimes 😂 though there have been a couple of times where it hasn't been funny, as we heard things crashing about like he was maybe throwing/smashing things. I know he's the only person living in there, otherwise I'd be very worried. I've only seen him in person a couple of times and he's been friendly (though I try and avoid him now as I'm scared he'll see me when he's in one of his moods!!) and he occasionally has friends over to watch the football and it's all laughter and fun, he must just have a very short fuse!

It's also made me quite conscious of the obviously thin walls in the building, because we can also hear him blowing his nose and sneezing... (he even sounds angry in his sneezing fits 😂) ... it makes me cringe when I think of the times I've been loud during sex, how many neighbours must have heard 😳

• Haha
Reactions: 9
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.