Odd Neighbours / Neighbour Problems

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I really want to say I am sorry about my grammar and the way I word stuff i haven't really worked in 10 years.

Anyways about tonight my neighbour across the hall from me has decided to play music loud to the fact I'm guessing hes in the living room and there a door then his lobby then a door our landing my door which is shut and locked and my wee hall and my bedroom which the door is shut and I can hear his music still. I have emailed the housing officer and I'm so over all this I just want a nice quite weekend which I'm never going to get and its giving me bad anxiety knowing he will be having pals round in 3 weeks I think he might have some right now in

• Sad
Reactions: 6
Not a fire pit but cannabis. I don't know when it became acceptable for anyone to smoke it so much that even with the windows closed but the summer vents open, it permeates my home.
I agree with this! Im no old party pooper but when did people start to become so blatent about doing drugs ?
When i was young if you was having a spliff you kind of did it under the radar but now everywhere you go you smell weed..i went on a walk with my friend this week and was waiting for her outside a shop..it was before 9am and there was a car full of wannabe gangstas and their girls all smoking it outside the shop..probably all students at the local college.

Reactions: 14
I agree with this! Im no old party pooper but when did people start to become so blatent about doing drugs ?
When i was young if you was having a spliff you kind of did it under the radar but now everywhere you go you smell weed..i went on a walk with my friend this week and was waiting for her outside a shop..it was before 9am and there was a car full of wannabe gangstas and their girls all smoking it outside the shop..probably all students at the local college.
We have a lovely children’s play park near us and there’s a house that backs onto it that constantly stinks of cannabis. It’s disgusting.

Reactions: 6
Not a fire pit but cannabis. I don't know when it became acceptable for anyone to smoke it so much that even with the windows closed but the summer vents open, it permeates my home.
Agree with this! Our neighbours smoked it every night and it stunk our house out. I can’t stand the smell and think it’s so unsociable and disrespectful to neighbours to continue smoking it if you know other people will have to put up with the smell too.

they’ve now moved but who knows who will move in next. Can’t wait to move to detached someday with a bit of space around us

Reactions: 10
Where are his parents when he's gawping in your window? I know you've said he has issues, but that's no excuse for them not to tell him he can't keep looking in your window. Any kid can learn that it's rude.
Sorry didn’t see this. They’re inside while he rides his bike outside) in view of their house). They’ve told him over and over as I’m not the only person he does it to. He responds to tellings off by staring blankly, he doesn’t get scared or anything of getting in trouble. But I don’t think he can help it (some of the time).

Reactions: 1
I have a year old puppy with a bit of German Shepherd in her...the bit that gives her a loud bark. Next door to our house is a flats development and our garden is next to the flats’ car park. We have a very high fence so the fuckers don’t see in.

The dog barks occasionally if anyone is loitering in the car park. If she barks we take her inside so usually she’ll do that under her breath half woof. Recently though a bunch of the neighbours have taken to smoking weed late at night in the car park. Dog goes nuts when she’s out having her bedtime pee and next thing we get a letter from the dog warden saying someone from the flats is disturbed by the dog barking. I wish there was such a thing as a weed warden!

• Wow
Reactions: 9
I really want to say I am sorry about my grammar and the way I word stuff i haven't really worked in 10 years.

Anyways about tonight my neighbour across the hall from me has decided to play music loud to the fact I'm guessing hes in the living room and there a door then his lobby then a door our landing my door which is shut and locked and my wee hall and my bedroom which the door is shut and I can hear his music still. I have emailed the housing officer and I'm so over all this I just want a nice quite weekend which I'm never going to get and its giving me bad anxiety knowing he will be having pals round in 3 weeks I think he might have some right now in
My HA told me to phone the police. A pity they didn't suggest this in the 18 months I was complaining about it and not the day before he moved out.

Reactions: 3
My HA told me to phone the police. A pity they didn't suggest this in the 18 months I was complaining about it and not the day before he moved out.
I was so close doing it my friend even was like phone the police but him and 2 of his pals went out in a taxi at 11 and not heard from since. I have wrote to housing he records me he does this and that iv had noone in my flat and hes had his pals and family it's a joke

Glad I found this thread at just the right time so I can vent! Our rescue dog occasionally barks in our back garden if he gets spooked or hears noises from the neighbours - I'm aware it might be annoying, so get him inside when he starts doing it.

Last night, my husband went in the back garden and the neighbour who's garden backs onto ours is leaning over the fence, calls him over and starts having a go at him about the barking, saying it's night and day (absolutely not true), that all the neighbours talk about it (god I hope this isn't true) and that they can't have anyone over because of it (you know, all those outdoor parties they've had to cancel in the middle of winter during lockdown 🙄). Might add these neighbours also have a dog that occasionally barks in their garden and have kept my daughter awake with parties in the past (pre-lockdown).

Just a bit baffled by it more than anything. I know barking can be annoying but our dog is inside literally 99.9% of the time. Anyway, just had to vent, but am now a bit paranoid about making any noise in my own back garden 😆

• Sad
Reactions: 10
Glad I found this thread at just the right time so I can vent! Our rescue dog occasionally barks in our back garden if he gets spooked or hears noises from the neighbours - I'm aware it might be annoying, so get him inside when he starts doing it.

Last night, my husband went in the back garden and the neighbour who's garden backs onto ours is leaning over the fence, calls him over and starts having a go at him about the barking, saying it's night and day (absolutely not true), that all the neighbours talk about it (god I hope this isn't true) and that they can't have anyone over because of it (you know, all those outdoor parties they've had to cancel in the middle of winter during lockdown 🙄). Might add these neighbours also have a dog that occasionally barks in their garden and have kept my daughter awake with parties in the past (pre-lockdown).

Just a bit baffled by it more than anything. I know barking can be annoying but our dog is inside literally 99.9% of the time. Anyway, just had to vent, but am now a bit paranoid about making any noise in my own back garden 😆
Just ignore him he sounds an absoutle twit I rather have a dog barking then music any day of the week also there an app called next door and you put in your area you can see if anyone has said anything

Reactions: 7
Next door want to cut a tree down in our garden. The branches slightly over hang into their garden and the leaves drop on their kids trampoline. They don’t bother to clean up the leaves and I overheard them in the garden yesterday go ‘that tree needs to go’. Surely they can’t just climb over and cut our tree down?!
No they can't. We are in the process of having a tree in our neighbours garden trimmed back as it blocks out any sun from our garden. We had to get permission from them before we could go ahead.
I think the actual rules are that you can trim overhanging branches, basically they could just trim it flat from their side but nothing more.

Where are his parents when he's gawping in your window? I know you've said he has issues, but that's no excuse for them not to tell him he can't keep looking in your window. Any kid can learn that it's rude.
Not necessarily. For instance, I have autistic children and there have been times when their behaviour has been inappropriate. Whilst I would always explain why something wasn't appropriate, there's no guarantee it will sink in and they will understand it.

You can't watch children 100% of the time, however much you might want to. I expect the parents are beside themselves with anxiety about it all.

I think it's really kind of the original poster to be so understanding and see it from both perspectives. A combination of flower beds, with raised edges and the window film someone mentioned sounds like a good starting place.

Last edited:
Reactions: 8
As a cat owner I do feel guilty about where my cats might go to the toilet , my current neighbours have never complained thankfully so I hope they just do it in ours
Snap! One of my cats toilets in our garden which is fine. The other goes out with. We found out he goes to our next door neighbours garden. They are keen gardeners as well 🙈 we took round citrus and lavender stuff you can leave out and told them to give him a little spray with water from a bottle; this cat HATES even the rain falling on him and would 100% run away. They were shocked and said no, absolutely not “we love animals and it’s okay if he comes in the garden” they have kept one little rockery just for his “use” 🙈 bless them. We’re VERY lucky to have understanding neighbours.

This cat will not use litter trays and won’t go in his own garden. We rescued them both aged 8 and they were already outdoor cats. Can’t change that behaviour at that age.

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 15
Our old neighbours would try to set their dog on cats passing through the garden (even if they were just on the fence and not in the actual garden) a while ago. I caught them once and it was the only time I confronted a neighbour directly about their tit behaviour. I understand not wanting cats around but trying to set your dog on them is just... no.

• Angry
  • Wow
Reactions: 11
So my housing officer came out and knows how this effecting me but cant do nothing about the stupid camera and well about the noise not a single thing but there is a new young person moving in to the building and all I can say is god help her.

• Sad
Reactions: 1
We have a fire pit! But so do our neighbours on each side, so all fine. We are dead lucky and get on really well with both sides, and go to each others for BBQ's etc. In fact we had to borrow some wood from one neighbour last weekend.

Reactions: 8
Snap! One of my cats toilets in our garden which is fine. The other goes out with. We found out he goes to our next door neighbours garden. They are keen gardeners as well 🙈 we took round citrus and lavender stuff you can leave out and told them to give him a little spray with water from a bottle; this cat HATES even the rain falling on him and would 100% run away. They were shocked and said no, absolutely not “we love animals and it’s okay if he comes in the garden” they have kept one little rockery just for his “use” 🙈 bless them. We’re VERY lucky to have understanding neighbours.

This cat will not use litter trays and won’t go in his own garden. We rescued them both aged 8 and they were already outdoor cats. Can’t change that behaviour at that age.
Aw, you've got lovely neighbours. Our neighbours just blank us (well he attempts to say hello, but she silences him with a glare) after she told me that our cat was upsetting their dog 'by looking at him'!
Their poor dog sits inside the window all day long just looking out. Maybe if they took him out for a walk once in a blue moon, he wouldn't get 'upset' every time a cat passes the window.

She was screaming and roaring at her little boy recently because he didn't want to get in his car seat. She's a nasty piece of work.

• Sad
Reactions: 4
Aw, you've got lovely neighbours. Our neighbours just blank us (well he attempts to say hello, but she silences him with a glare) after she told me that our cat was upsetting their dog 'by looking at him'!
Their poor dog sits inside the window all day long just looking out. Maybe if they took him out for a walk once in a blue moon, he wouldn't get 'upset' every time a cat passes the window.

She was screaming and roaring at her little boy recently because he didn't want to get in his car seat. She's a nasty piece of work.
That is horrible! Also, isn’t it pretty much a universal truth known that cats stereotypically “bully” dogs. 😂🙈 Let’s be honest, it’s what makes cats so likeable- they are total dickheads!! How can anyone stop a cat and dog looking at each other? Honestly, I despair with some people.

Our old neighbours would try to set their dog on cats passing through the garden (even if they were just on the fence and not in the actual garden) a while ago. I caught them once and it was the only time I confronted a neighbour directly about their tit behaviour. I understand not wanting cats around but trying to set your dog on them is just... no.
Agreed, that is horrid. I can be quite nervous around dogs I don’t know but I’d never, ever go out my way to harm them. It’s a living being and most often someone’s much loved companion. Not liking cats, fair enough. Hurting them? Nope!

Reactions: 4
So my new neighbour has moved in and I think with everything that been going on and my anxiety I have made them feel unwelcome. I have spoke to them but they was blaring there music yesterday and me and this lady was walking past and she said wow what a noise and I said I wasn't that bothered payback to there downstairs neighbour and I think they may of heard what the person said. My anxiety is bad and iv been awake most of the night and I'm in tears atm I think it's a mix of everything or am I overthinking it

• Sad
Reactions: 5
our bottom neighbours have about 8 kids who do what they want, destroy the garden and get rubbish out the bins and play with it, her 2 year old often plays out unattended, they've also made the front of our block like a scrap yard mopeds, cars, and now a caravan! 😅😅 also there dog barks constantly and makes the block smell like piss. my other neighbour is a alcoholic, shes lost her husband and 1 of her kids because she has all night parties smokes weed and is a cokehead shes always got people round the noise is a joke shes got a friend who's a bad influence and she's just going further and further down hill all she cares about is the friend and alcohol and drugs nothing else ! my other neighbour is a nosey witch who likes to try and make people feel sorry for her she rarely leaves her house but talks about everyone being there backs shes very sneaky.
Oh my god, I feel sorry for you living there. They sound horrendous neighbours and honestly, I think I would rather live in a tent than live amongst that rabble.

These kind of people have no place in society, they contribute nothing, just always make every decent persons life a bleeping misery!

Reactions: 3
I get that people can have work done on their homes but I have one neighbour who just constantly is having renovation work done.
We share an entrance to the car park and it's always blocked by trader's vehicles. They move their vehicles quite happily upon request and there is never an issue but the constant knocking on and having to ask is wearing me down. I feel like I'm 15 again, asking my mum if I can go out 🙄

Reactions: 12
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.