Odd Neighbours / Neighbour Problems

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
That is so scary! They must have been monitoring him for something if he had police checking up on him
Oh definitely there was something not right with him. He was clearly under supervision of the police for something.

He was just really weird and it was all small, relatively little things but I was pretty terrified by the end. I didn’t hold a regular work schedule; part time work shifts and uni classes so coming and going at different times but he ALWAYS appeared. It was horrible.

Reactions: 3
My mum used to live next door to someone who eventually would appear on Big Brother (she lived there about ten years before it happened). This lady was really glam, pretty, had a beautiful little home and used to get regular evening callers - including Robbie Williams and Brian Harvey! We were prob the annoying neighbours because whenever a car pulled up I’d be peeping round the curtain to see who it was 🤣
Love this!

I briefly rented a ground floor flat for no longer than a year, where I shared the entrance with one of the original GoggleBox participants (I moved out about 2 months before she appeared on it).
She was a bit of an eccentric and actually quite hilarious, she was quite well known for frequenting the pubs (and my front door) shaking an old ice cream tub filled with awful, tarnished, old, worn costume jewellery trying to sell pieces of it. She was a bigger woman and would often collect her mail and answer her door covering her modesty with just a tiny tea towel. When I was moving out she was eagle eyeing all my possessions stacked up in the entrance holding open an empty tote, trying to sell me the prospect of moving into my new home without any clutter then asking if I'm getting rid of any of it. 🤣

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 15
Love this!

I briefly rented a ground floor flat for no longer than a year, where I shared the entrance with one of the original GoogleBox participants (I moved out about 2 months before she appeared on it).
She was a bit of an eccentric and actually quite hilarious, she was quite well known for frequenting the pubs (and my front door) shaking an old ice cream tub filled with awful, tarnished, old, worn costume jewellery trying to sell pieces of it. She was a bigger woman and would often collect her mail and answer her door covering her modesty with just a tiny tea towel. When I was moving out she was eagle eyeing all my possessions stacked up in the entrance holding open an empty tote, trying to sell me the prospect of moving into my new home without any clutter then asking if I'm getting rid of any of it. 🤣
Did her name begin with S by any chance? 😂

• Haha
Reactions: 10
I don't have any bad neighbour stories but in my old house, one of the neighbours used to wash the gravel on her drive. Not with a hose pipe. She would wash it like she was washing the dishes - very odd and would take her hours. Whatever floats your boat.

I currently have a wheelie bin inspector; I have know him my entire life and he is lovely but come bin day he turns into a squadron leader; he checks everyone's multiple bins and shouts at you if you have put anything in wrong. He collects anything he doesn't think appropriate and takes it to the tip. He wears a high viz jacket and directs the bin men (am sure they love it....ha).

God love him, he is annoying but he is retired and I suppose he is bored; on the plus side we have the cleanest, immaculate street.

He also paints everyone's window sills annually; even if you do not want him to and he decides the colour!

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 24
I don't have any bad neighbour stories but in my old house, one of the neighbours used to wash the gravel on her drive. Not with a hose pipe. She would wash it like she was washing the dishes - very odd and would take her hours. Whatever floats your boat.

I currently have a wheelie bin inspector; I have know him my entire life and he is lovely but come bin day he turns into a squadron leader; he checks everyone's multiple bins and shouts at you if you have put anything in wrong. He collects anything he doesn't think appropriate and takes it to the tip. He wears a high viz jacket and directs the bin men (am sure they love it....ha).

God love him, he is annoying but he is retired and I suppose he is bored; on the plus side we have the cleanest, immaculate street.

He also paints everyone's window sills annually; even if you do not want him to and he decides the colour!
Ahahaha I've got one of those. Came home from. Holiday and he's painted my wrought iron gate. Happy he did it as it was on the long list of things to spruce up

• Wow
  • Haha
Reactions: 9
Oh, I’ve been waiting for this one!

For11 years, my husband and I lived in a two up two down terrace in a very erm... dodgy, shall we say, city in the West Midlands. Now, there are some nice areas in the city. Our area, however was not it.

Our main problem stemmed from there was our house - number () on () road. There was also a flat with the same number, further down the same road.

That flat was a trap house. So during our time in our house, people confused it for the trap house. We would have weirdos knocking the door at 1am looking to score, one lovely Sunday night our front door was booted in, by two blokes in balaclava, with machetes, looking for drugs and were confused and disappointed to discover that we had absolutely nothing for them, and ran off.

To make matters worse one of the dealers that lived at this flat had thesame first name as my husband. One day we had just come back from a holiday and had jet lag so we’re chilling on the sofa, next thing I know is the house is surrounded by police - husband phone goes off and it’s the local station saying ‘You’re surrounded we know you’ve assaulted your girlfriend” we are both baffled so I open the door, and ask them to come in. Turns out the police had even got the wrong property. They had my husbands number from the break in report 🙄 I assured them they had got it wrong, and off they went. Mental.

And then, the weirdos moved in next door. So the house next door was purchased by what appeared to be a young Asian family. We were really pleased, they had a little boy about a year younger than our daughter and we thought great, potential friends for our kid, probably won’t have massive parties, brilliant.

Then we started noticing things. The young couple went, but the kid stayed - this time an older Asian man about 65, and an Eastern European woman about 55 ish. And lots of other children aged between 5-12. So many it was difficult to keep a count on them. The Eastern European woman was very friendly but spoke no English at all, and whenever I tried to speak to her the older man would come over and take her away. Then one evening last year, an wmob of men turned up outside their door, shouting kicking off and going mad - something to do with the small boy being there from what I could gather. The police turned up and got rid of them, and the kid wasn’t taken away so I assume there was nothing untoward going on.

But what they did which used to send my husband into orbit with rage, was That they would all, kids included, sit in the front garden, chatting, shouting from about 11pm at night till 3am, almost every night. Not just in the summer either, but during the winter, even when it was raining, in their coats if need be. It was utterly bonkers. They had a huge back garden too - absolutely no idea why they chose to sit I. The tiny front one - basically on the street.

We sold our house earlier this year, and I admit I do sometimes wonder what the hell exactly was going on there.

• Wow
Reactions: 16
A few years ago our neighbour knocked on the door and asked if her friend from Russia could stay in our house for a few weeks while she was doing some sort of course... we had only spoken to them at this point a few times. My partner pointed out that she could stay with them as they had spare rooms. Very bizarre!!

• Wow
Reactions: 16
Don’t get me started. Mine has grown ivy all over my fence. I want to replace my fences but literally no point while the ivy is running wild. Drives me crazy. Any suggestions on how I can get rid of this ivy? He has lived in the house since it was built & thinks he owns the road! I would in an ideal world like no neighbours 😂
That is my ideal too.

No neighbours would be absolute bliss. If only we could choose them. 🤣

Reactions: 6
my opposite neighbour has been screaming (she is about 40 I think) at some 10 year olds for touching her fence for the last hour, she's now standing outside shouting down her fone to god knows who about it, who would care? As we've seen here much worse can happen with neighbours :LOL:

• Haha
Reactions: 7
I have great neighbours where I live / own my own place. I moved to London in my 20s and rented a house with a friend. The neighbour next door was really strange. she would accuse us of being prostitutes as we often had people over (the good old days of house parties) she would set alarms to go off next to the adjoining walls all night, it was terraced and the walls were pretty thin. I would have to wear ear plugs to sleep! She would pretty much stare at us out of her window anytime we entered and exited the property, and I'm sure she was trying to cast voodoo spells on us.

She would shout and scream if I parked anywhere near what she deemed her 'space' on the road (she didn't drive) It was insane. She was one of the reasons I couldn't wait to move back home and appreciate all my normal neighbours! The garden was in a complete mess and none of her house seemed to have any floor coverings at least in the hall when she would stand at her front door. The worst part is she had a child! It would be a horrible environment to be raised in and I really felt bad for the kid. I reported them for the constant beeping during the night and had council people over but there wasn't much they could do.

Horrible / strange neighbours can really impact your mental health. It was quite scary at times and I'm so glad I'm not having to deal with that at the moment and really feel for anyone that is.

Reactions: 7
Bad neighbours can absolutely impact on your mental well-being. If only our houses were not so close to each other in Britain. I love those streets you see in America with the huge driveways, wide roads and a bit of distance from the ones next door.

• Heart
Reactions: 22
Bad neighbours can absolutely impact on your mental well-being. If only our houses were not so close to each other in Britain. I love those streets you see in America with the huge driveways, wide roads and a bit of distance from the ones next door.
My best friend stays in a street like that in Houston. They have very active neighbourhood groups. You’ll get warnings for any wrong trees, garden ornaments, grass over a certain length etc. You can even lose your own house if you don’t comply with the rules. Open season for busybody neighbours.

• Wow
  • Haha
Reactions: 12
My best friend stays in a street like that in Houston. They have very active neighbourhood groups. You’ll get warnings for any wrong trees, garden ornaments, grass over a certain length etc. You can even lose your own house if you don’t comply with the rules. Open season for busybody neighbours.
Crikey! 🤣🤣

I will stick with the devil I know. 🤣

My next door neighbour is my ex....so...there’s that 🙄😂
A good arrangement if you get along well. 🤣

Omg where to start. It’s a long story. I’ll summarise in a few points. downstairs neighbours have a 40 year age difference between them. Never met them in person but turns out that they pretend to be adult babies. When I did my research. They’re so odd. Their cigarette smoke comes into our flat through bathroom and kitchen and stinks. They’ve stank out the communal corridor with their stale smoke ... imagine what it’s like inside the flat!!! Also get the pleasure of listening to them having sex at all hours. Extremely loud ridiculous noises. I dread to think.
Which one is the oldest, her or him? Or same sex? 😂

My neighbours above me have 3 kids (I think). They seem to think it’s ok to let the kids constantly jump off the beds and onto the wooden floors, ride their bikes/scooters back and forth the apartment from 7am-8pm, and generally run riot 13 hours a day.
I’m at the end of my tether and close to tears most days. They’ve now started bouncing balls in whatever room is above my bedroom.
You must report them. Nobody should be forced to listen to that amount of noise on a daily basis.

Keep a noise diary and if you can, record the level of noise you hear.

I wish you luck. 😊

My neighbour across the road has put up a motion sensor spot light right above their front door which shines right into my bedroom 🤬who does that 🤔when there's a bleeping lamppost right outside their gate!
I have a neighbour whose outside light shines into my bedroom when the light is activated. I politely went round there to ask if he would adjust the light and got a barrage of abuse.

He walks past my house every day when he drops his kids off at his Mum’s house (who incidentally is really nice lady and I speak with her) and since I received such a polite response from him, I have ignored him since. 🤣

I think just before I move house I might get a powerful torch and shine the light towards his house of a night. 🤣🤣

I have lived in many places and I seem to have been plagued with irritating neighbours. That said, my current street has really lovely ones who are all respectful of each other (apart from the twit around the back with his dodgy light!). 🤣

The only fly in the ointment is the more recent arrival, which is one of the reasons I am moving. We have never argued or fallen out, I’m careful of that, especially when selling a house. But, I cannot put into words how much of a twit him and his extended family are. They are not my kind of people.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1
if you are going to let your kids play out then at least tell them not to go on other peoples driveways and remove decorative stones to piss around with.
Not hard is it to tell your kids not to go on other peoples property?

Reactions: 10
I have a neighbour whose outside light shines into my bedroom when the light is activated. I politely went round there to ask if he would adjust the light and got a barrage of abuse.
The people 3 or 4 houses down have the brightest outdoor lights, it lights my garden up! Feel sorry for the people next door and the houses in front and behind.

• Angry
Reactions: 4
A few years ago our neighbour knocked on the door and asked if her friend from Russia could stay in our house for a few weeks while she was doing some sort of course... we had only spoken to them at this point a few times. My partner pointed out that she could stay with them as they had spare rooms. Very bizarre!!
What an odd thing to ask and a total imposition. 🙄😮

Who has the time to wash gravel like that? Totally bonkers! 🤣

I would not be very happy with someone painting my windowsills though.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4
What an odd thing to ask and a total imposition. 🙄😮

Who has the time to wash gravel like that? Totally bonkers! 🤣

I would not be very happy with someone painting my windowsills though.
i think id end up painting over in anothercolour out of spite (im very stubborn)

Reactions: 6
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.