Nutrition (supplements welcome)

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Unscientific and unproven nutrition advice encouraged; I fully plan to research any tips before ingesting foods and welcome everyone reading here to do the same. Anecdotal evidence recommended 🙂 Let’s go!

Excellent question 😃 I want to share food habits that people swear by but are not yet acknowledged or are still considered fringe by regulatory bodies, science or prevailing food culture. E.g., https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...lthier-say-devotees-So-banned-shops-long.html

I love learning about other peoples’ healthy food habits. Personally, I took out a lot of foods from my diet that were deemed unhealthy by trends (don’t drink orange juice it has ToO mUcH sUgAr) and did not feel healthier 😤 I want to rewrite my own diet for the better / learn from other tattlers on what they’ve tried for better health that yielded results (or the contra!)

A lot of people only want to learn about health from their physician. That is fine! This thread is not meant for them 🙂

Note: I have not tried raw milk but it piqued my interest. If anyone wants to share their experience or the experience of someone they know, please do!

Last edited:
Reactions: 2
I genuinely feel better eating a plant based diet. It helps my IBS massively and I notice a difference (more episodes) if I slip with it. Not cutting out anything crazy, just dairy and eggs as I was veggie anyway.

• Heart
Reactions: 5
I genuinely feel better eating a plant based diet. It helps my IBS massively and I notice a difference (more episodes) if I slip with it. Not cutting out anything crazy, just dairy and eggs as I was veggie anyway.
I notice the same in relation to my IBS. Out of interest do you use peppermint tea or anything like that too? I've heard from a few people it really helps them with cramping etc, but when I tried it it didn't seem to make any different for me at all.

Reactions: 1
I try to operate on the principle of ‘will my gut bacteria like this food?’ 😅 I’m fascinated by the idea of the microbiome and how it interacts with the immune system! After a health scare last year I’m trying to eat way more fibre and veg and a bit of fruit (not got a sweet tooth)

I notice the same in relation to my IBS. Out of interest do you use peppermint tea or anything like that too? I've heard from a few people it really helps them with cramping etc, but when I tried it it didn't seem to make any different for me at all.
Fresh Mint tea seems to actually give me cramps and acid reflux? No idea why haha I often grate ginger and freeze it in an ice cube tray, then take one out and pour boiling water over it and drink that of an evening, I find that’s a lot better for my digestion!

• Heart
If I’ve had a bad episode I do
If I’ve had a bad episode I do use peppermint tea, not sure if it really helps much or it’s a placebo but it feels like a safe option especially if I’m out and about!

• Heart
I try to operate on the principle of ‘will my gut bacteria like this food?’ 😅
Yes!! I’m all about gut bacteria. My grocery shopping revolves around what to feed it lol

I’m fascinated by the idea of the microbiome and how it interacts with the immune system!
Me too! I also like to introduce new bacteria to my gut. I was documenting this elsewhere on tattle. I thought I was so brave for reintroducing cow kefir to my diet. The real test is coming though with the goat’s milk kefir I ordered 😅 Cannot stand goat products but there are so many new strains to look forward to 🥰

—————————————————————————
Here are the posts on my IBS/gut biome journey so far for anyone who is interested. A little back story first though: healthcare and medicine is not free where I live. I was diagnosed with IBS and within the month I was admitted to hospital for a week because of an allergic reaction to the low grade medicine I was prescribed. I ended up owing $7,500 in medical bills despite being insured. The top shelf medicine I now take, which does not cause life threatening allergic reactions, costs thousands of dollars per year. So, I am willing to experiment within reason on myself if it means less money in the pockets of the greedy for-profit healthcare industry 🙂

1 https://tattle.life/threads/ibs-ibd-sufferers.11294/post-5855002

2 https://tattle.life/threads/ibs-ibd-sufferers.11294/post-5856922

3 https://tattle.life/threads/ibs-ibd-sufferers.11294/post-5977676

Last edited:
Purchased this book recently and I’ve been using it today in conjunction with my regular online source to troubleshoot a minor health problem I’m enduring. The book is interesting - it’s pointed me in a different direction than I was expecting. I’ve now put in an order for oil of oregano with carvacrol, some CoQ10 and a unique probiotic strain.

D1521A5A-6A46-4054-B523-4C369848FB77.jpeg

Would anyone try this? I am curious what mine looks like 😅

Updates on my health experiment: It was going well until I tried going off my IBS medicine. That was a scary moment for me. I am back on my medicine and happy taking kyo-dophilus as a probiotic with a banana and some multi-grain toast. My digestion is the best it’s ever been. The banana & toast definitely make an impact on how well the kyo-dophilus works. So I’m not 100% on whether the kyo-dophilus is essential and any probiotic supplement will do so long as I eat the same breakfast. I would love to figure it out for myself but like I said, my digestion is in the best place it’s ever been, so I am reluctant to mess with my gut health in order to figure it out. 😅

This is my first year treating colds with smashed cloves of garlic. Garlic has a lot of interesting health benefits. It used to be used as a performance enhancer in Ancient Greece for Olympic athletes. I take it as I feel a cold coming on. It has a two out of two success rate so far! I’m actually trying to ferment my smashed garlic in honey which helps with diluting the taste. It is still very powerful though NGL.

Plant-based makes my IBS 100% worse. I cant deal with carbs they go right through me. I'm basically a carnivore and IBS has gone. In fact, being in ketosis all the time keeps my mental health in a very good place.

I use garlic oil for earaches,, (also with raw honey for cuts that are infected on me, the kids and my animals ) apple cider vinegar for gut health. I also use colloidal silver on many things.

I nebulise hydrogen peroxide colloidal silver, as I have emphysema I take high doses of Vit D, B12, Vit C. zinc I woke up last week with a chest infection and awful sore throat, that was gone in one day of spraying and nebulising

my first aid box could also be mistaken for my herb and spice cupboard. Having bicarb of soda is invaluable in removing glass or splinters etc it has so many uses I buy it in bulk. brilliant for unblocking sinks with vinegar added, getting rid of yucky smells etc

• Heart
Reactions: 3
Plant-based makes my IBS 100% worse. I cant deal with carbs they go right through me. I'm basically a carnivore and IBS has gone. In fact, being in ketosis all the time keeps my mental health in a very good place.
That’s really interesting - plant based makes mine a lot better (mind you, I have to avoid high fibre fruits like apples). In fact over the last few weeks I’ve slipped a bit and drastically noticed a change back towards my old ways.

Reactions: 3
Plant based diet for me too! I found myself with more energy, less irritable, less anxious, better skin, better digestion, just overall really improved my life. I also eat a lot more now as before I went plant based (I'm completely vegan now) I would eat about 10 things. I never would have imagined myself eating peppers or an aubergine 5 years ago.

Also I try to avoid artificial sweeteners. I find they play havoc with my anxiety.

Yassss @Purrrrrrr welcome 🙌

My IBS saw so much improvement when I began eating animal protein again. I do especially well with red meat. I believe sheep are supposed to be better for the environment so I try and stick to lamb. I’m glad to hear other people have different experiences! Also that is fascinating about MH and carbs.

I love me some vinegar too.. I keep a giant jug of it in the cupboard. I had a pest problem recently and as part of a multi-pronged approach, I poured it in cups everywhere. The bug problem is solved for now I believe. No telling if that’s what solved the issue but it definitely masked the smell of foods.

I will have to research bicarb. I tend to avoid because it sparks up acid reflux but I might have to start stocking it again.

I’ve started taking peppermint capsules to deal with my IBS and they seem to be amazing. There are recent studies about their effects and it’s all looking promising.

ive also starting taking a probiotic supplement that apparently helps gut health but not sure on that one just yet.

my husband is a dietician primarily working on IBS/coeliac/gastro so happy to get his advice on nutrition thing if anyone wants it.

• Heart
ive also starting taking a probiotic supplement that apparently helps gut health but not sure on that one just yet.
Cool! Which one are you taking?

There’s an IBS thread where I am sure you will be a treasure ❤ I’m going to start adding a new probiotic myself soon. The plan is to add it gradually and see what happens. I don’t like spending money on probiotics, and certainly don’t want to be paying to take two at once, but I’m curious about the hype.

084D310F-14F7-4DA6-A937-8D5385E896C6.jpeg

I’m taking these. Honestly not sure how much they help but definitely not making anything worse. They also do a calming/relaxing version to help with anxiety which my husband is trying finding it just makes him quite gassy😂
Ahaha oh no!! It sounds like such a great concept 😂💔