Northern Ireland #6 Craic, Conflict and Current Affairs

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Well technically because it was a random execution, but shooting someone in the back = murder in my book, and not once but 3 times.

Reactions: 4
It's the best result the family could have hoped for.
I bet there's quite a few on this thread who've had soldiers point their rifles at them, I was always so afraid walking past them. They didn't see us as human and they didn't differentiate between the people attacking them and ordinary people or children.

Reactions: 7
I bet there's quite a few on this thread who've had soldiers point their rifles at them, I was always so afraid walking past them. They didn't see us as human and they didn't differentiate between the people attacking them and ordinary people or children.
We used to be searched by them going into the town centre , used as human shields too.

• Wow
My parents (middle of the road stoops) always warned us to never speak, we lived rural and they patrolled a lot. My father and brothers had to stop lamping because the army always seemed to appear and quiz them. I have vivid memories of them pointing guns through our school gate. 80s.
One of my brothers used to be such a head to them which always resulted in us being taken out of the car, they hated him, super surprised he's still about tbh. My mummy would have twisted with them too, personally I think that was because she was being harassed.

Reactions: 6
One of my earliest memories is wetting myself when I went into the garage and there was one crouched down in the corner pointing his gun at me. I think I was about 4.
They battered my Dad with hurling sticks they found in his boot (he was a hurling coach), took him down a secluded lane and broke the sticks over his back. In his later years he said he still had flashbacks, they made kneel on the ground with his back to them and he certain he was dead.
Another time they were outside our school and one of them slipped and fell on the ice and we were all laughing our heads off (primary school kids) and they pointed their guns towards the playground and we all freaked and ran for our lives 🙈
I mean when you think about it in today’s terms it was absolutely crazy stuff but it was just considered normal and acceptable at the time. I’d say every Catholic of a certain age has their own stories.

Last edited:
  • Sad
  • Wow
Reactions: 12
There's the rub, young people don't remember, they're told stories and it makes them feel a certain way...die for Ireland, die for Ulster. But the truth is if it kicked off that very situation could happen again, feck all has changed, we still live in a very imbalanced society. Arlene doing the rounds on GB news pointing fingers at the injustices her community face and those viewers will agree her.
Did unionists routinely have the armed forces attack, kill, maim or harass them? No. Because they were here to protect them. What danger were children in a playground or a young fella going to training. McAnespie was threatened on several occasions before he was killed.

Reactions: 6
It’s a crime for a snowman to glorify terrorism but a Loyalist mural to two killers holding their weapons is perfectly acceptable

Reactions: 3
Can I just say Disaronno is £11 in sainsbury at the moment. I haven't had it in years.

• Haha
Brave you say Jamie? What’s brave about shooting an unarmed man in the back? Not “brave” enough to look him in the eye while he murdered him nor “brave” enough to admit what he’d done. Brave is that family who never gave up and kept up their fight for justice.
True colours shining through.

It was a war crime but the government blocked calling/treating it as such didn't they?
Any wonder people here are warped.

Reactions: 2
True colours shining through.
Facebook comments never disappoint “but what about the IRA” etc etc. It still doesn’t seem to register with some that the IRA and the British Army are not comparable. I wonder would they use the same defence if the British Army murdered people on the streets of London?

Reactions: 5
Facebook comments never disappoint “but what about the IRA” etc etc. It still doesn’t seem to register with some that the IRA and the British Army are not comparable. I wonder would they use the same defence if the British Army murdered people on the streets of London?
Like feck they would, the iRA never had a licence to kill…The new legacy bill will make sure these killers will never be brought to justice, unlike Nazi war criminals they’re perused till the end of days.

Reactions: 2
The IRA were a terrorist organisation they were an enemy of Britain, unfortunately other terrorist organisations here were armed to the teeth by the state.

The IRA were a terrorist organisation they were an enemy of Britain, unfortunately other terrorist organisations here were armed to the teeth by the state.
And draped in medals and honour by the Queen.

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.