Normal People

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I've almost finished the book. I prefer the series but the book is a great insight.

Reactions: 1
I thought it was fabulous. The acting was incredible. As a 40 yo Mamma it brought back the excitement of romance at that age.....

I finished it for the 4th time last night. Then I finished the book. I had a full on break down after it 😭. I cried so much that I’ve woken up with a banging headache. Their love is so pure and tangible. The whole story is so relatable. I know I have someone from my teens/early 20s who will always feel like a soulmate to me, no matter how much pain, time and distance separates us. We saw each other through hard times and neither of us would be where we are without the other (literally). I encourage him to move away for uni (minutes before he withdrew everything) to the opposite end of the country, knowing full well that he may meet someone else, have a completely new life or never return. Years later, he still hasn’t returned. But I can relate to that feeling of loving someone so much that you want them to be happy, to do things for themselves, achieve their dreams - even if that means you lose a part of them, or all of them. These feelings are so real and they just live tucked away inside us. Truth is, I still think about him and my biggest worry is whether or not he is truly happy. You get to a point in life where you realise that you might meet your soulmate but not necessarily live happily ever after, together. And that’s ok, these people teach us so much about love and about ourselves that the love you shared wasn’t in vain. Maybe one day the universe brings these people back to you one way or another. I’m not sure.

The moment when Connell finally kisses her and tells her he loves her, in front of all their old school friends, the people he used to keep her a secret from, with the flash back of their first ‘secret’ kiss just got me. Then the very last scene with Marianne telling him to go to NY - even though she wanted him to stay. The line ‘we’ve done so much good for one another’, just hits you differently. They changed each other’s lives completely. The ending was very bittersweet but that’s what makes it so real. Real life isn’t a fairytale.

The way the final part was written it the book was perfect. States that even thought Marianne would miss Connell, she still wanted him to go because missing him wouldn’t be as bad as the pain she felt from feeling worthless her whole life. Connell helped her see that she wasn’t. All she wanted was someone to truly love her. He did that for her 😭.

The acting was flawless. The touch on male mental health was also very important. This will probably go down as my favourite love story. Nothing flashy or unrealistic. Just two people who truly see each other. I can’t stop thinking about it. It broke me and healed me all at the same time.

Also just want to add, the soundtrack is perfect. There’s the tv show soundtrack, Connell’s soundtrack and Marianne’s soundtrack all on Spotify. Everything is so fitting.

Sorry that was so long. I’m just feeling all the feelings at the minute 😂

Last edited:
  • Heart
  • Sad
Reactions: 31
I was completely mesmerised by this drama. I had seen and read about the book but had never read it. The reviews seemed mixed and there was a lot of hype.
I just loved everything about the TV series. The two leads were perfect. It was heartbreaking to see them break up so many times through lack of confidence and misunderstandings. I think that is often true to life especially with young people first in love. It certainly resonated with me.
I listened to the podcast - mentioned at the start of the programme - where the two actors are interviewed and found them both to be thoughtful, perceptive and likeable. Paul Mescal appears to be very soulful yet with humility and a sense of humour. I do hope he is not spoiled by fame as I think he is set to become a real name in the future. His accent and eyes are just beautiful.

• Heart
Reactions: 8
I finished it for the 4th time last night. Then I finished the book. I had a full on break down after it 😭. I cried so much that I’ve woken up with a banging headache. Their love is so pure and tangible. The whole story is so relatable. I know I have someone from my teens/early 20s who will always feel like a soulmate to me, no matter how much pain, time and distance separates us. We saw each other through hard times and neither of us would be where we are without the other (literally). I encourage him to move away for uni (minutes before he withdrew everything) to the opposite end of the country, knowing full well that he may meet someone else, have a completely new life or never return. Years later, he still hasn’t returned. But I can relate to that feeling of loving someone so much that you want them to be happy, to do things for themselves, achieve their dreams - even if that means you lose a part of them, or all of them. These feelings are so real and they just live tucked away inside us. Truth is, I still think about him and my biggest worry is whether or not he is truly happy. You get to a point in life where you realise that you might meet your soulmate but not necessarily live happily ever after, together. And that’s ok, these people teach us so much about love and about ourselves that the love you shared wasn’t in vain. Maybe one day the universe brings these people back to you one way or another. I’m not sure.

The moment when Connell finally kisses her and tells her he loves her, in front of all their old school friends, the people he used to keep her a secret from, with the flash back of their first ‘secret’ kiss just got me. Then the very last scene with Marianne telling him to go to NY - even though she wanted him to stay. The line ‘we’ve done so much good for one another’, just hits you differently. They changed each other’s lives completely. The ending was very bittersweet but that’s what makes it so real. Real life isn’t a fairytale.

The way the final part was written it the book was perfect. States that even thought Marianne would miss Connell, she still wanted him to go because missing him wouldn’t be as bad as the pain she felt from feeling worthless her whole life. Connell helped her see that she wasn’t. All she wanted was someone to truly love her. He did that for her 😭.

The acting was flawless. The touch on male mental health was also very important. This will probably go down as my favourite love story. Nothing flashy or unrealistic. Just two people who truly see each other. I can’t stop thinking about it. It broke me and healed me all at the same time.

Also just want to add, the soundtrack is perfect. There’s the tv show soundtrack, Connell’s soundtrack and Marianne’s soundtrack all on Spotify. Everything is so fitting.

You have summed it up perfectly.
I had goosebumps reading your summary, just perfect.

• Heart
Reactions: 12
You have summed it up perfectly.
I had goosebumps reading your summary, just perfect.
Every time I think about it I get teary. I’m not sure what’s wrong with me 😂. Maybe I just feel things a bit too much? I’m not sure haha.

I know some people didn’t get ‘it’ and thought it was all a bit intense considering their age, like what do these youngsters know about true love? It’s easy to disregard young people when it comes to knowing what love really is. But for them, they are feeling things for the first time and they aren’t even sure what it is exactly that they are feeling. It’s not until you are older that you look back and realise how real and special those connections were and how much they shaped you as a human being. The first person who truly got you, saw you, understood you, believed in you, loved you all from a completely unbiased place. They are so special that they stay with you for the rest of your life. Makes you realise how beautiful and important true human connection is ❤

• Heart
Reactions: 7
The scene with the counsellor at episode 10 was so beautifully played, could really feel his pain. Outstanding performance.

• Heart
Reactions: 11

Wow wow wow. You summed it up so well. I also had goosebumps reading!

This series has affected me in a way like no other has. At the moment I can't even put my finger on it. It was raw and captivating, beautiful and soulful. I was mesmerised. It felt so real, like I was a prying eye watching in on this love story.

I didn't completely love the sweden part but only because it was painful to watch, however, it was vital for the exploration of the abuse storyline between her father/mother/brother and that is why she felt like she needed to be 'hurt' during sex because she thought it was what she deserved.

I hate when people diss the sex scenes because it was not all about the sex. Yes it was a crucial and integral part but it was more about the love and emotions they had for each other and the sex was portrayed beautifully. To just focus on the sex is missing the point.

I feel like I need to know they are still together now so would absolutely watch a series 2 but also feel like I don't want them to ruin it with a series 2 if its just more of the same or just a story where they're now married with a couple of kids.

I just can't stop thinking about this series. I have got the book on the way aswell. I'm going in for a rewatch 100% and probably many more times 😂 hope it comes out in dvd too haha.

• Heart
Reactions: 7
Wow wow wow. You summed it up so well. I also had goosebumps reading!

This series has affected me in a way like no other has. At the moment I can't even put my finger on it. It was raw and captivating, beautiful and soulful. I was mesmerised. It felt so real, like I was a prying eye watching in on this love story.

I didn't completely love the sweden part but only because it was painful to watch, however, it was vital for the exploration of the abuse storyline between her father/mother/brother and that is why she felt like she needed to be 'hurt' during sex because she thought it was what she deserved.

I hate when people diss the sex scenes because it was not all about the sex. Yes it was a crucial and integral part but it was more about the love and emotions they had for each other and the sex was portrayed beautifully. To just focus on the sex is missing the point.

I feel like I need to know they are still together now so would absolutely watch a series 2 but also feel like I don't want them to ruin it with a series 2 if its just more of the same or just a story where they're now married with a couple of kids.

I just can't stop thinking about this series. I have got the book on the way aswell. I'm going in for a rewatch 100% and probably many more times 😂 hope it comes out in dvd too haha.
I loved it too, when I watched the first episode I wasn’t sure about it but so glad I carried on! The chemistry between them was amazing it seemed so real, the sex scenes were so natural too it didn’t look forced. I’m the same, I’m sat here thinking I need to know what happened, I’m wondering if he actually went to New York and how is he getting on 😂

• Haha
Reactions: 2
I loved it too, when I watched the first episode I wasn’t sure about it but so glad I carried on! The chemistry between them was amazing it seemed so real, the sex scenes were so natural too it didn’t look forced. I’m the same, I’m sat here thinking I need to know what happened, I’m wondering if he actually went to New York and how is he getting on 😂
In my head he did go to New York but only for the year and she visited several times and now he is back and they are still together. My head can't cope with the idea that they split again or found different people or he is still there after a year 😂

• Heart
Reactions: 8
In my head he did go to New York but only for the year and she visited several times and now he is back and they are still together. My head can't cope with the idea that they split again or found different people or he is still there after a year 😂
I’m the same, I hope they do a second series 😂

Me too really haha. I did read an article earlier that said the BBC was desperate for a second series if they can get Sally Rooney on board!
I would love if it was set a few years in the future

Just finished the book. That last page broke my heart all over again. Amazing.

• Heart
Reactions: 2
Just finished the book. That last page broke my heart all over again. Amazing.
Does it vary much from the series? Because I loved the series so much, I'm worried to read the book in case there's something different about it and it disappoints me.

Does it vary much from the series? Because I loved the series so much, I'm worried to read the book in case there's something different about it and it disappoints me.
Not really. Only very slightly in some parts.

The series is very true to the book, in the events that happened anyway. I found the book more restrained somehow, it was less obvious what they were feeling, and the sex scenes were fleeting in the book. I actually preferred the series as it felt more tangible. I think the casting of Connell was spot on, but I feel that Daisy Edgar Jones is a little too pretty to be Marianne somehow? She played the character beautifully but I didn’t imagine Marianne to be as gorgeous as that for some reason. From what I remember in the book there isn’t much description of the way they look other than odd little snippets - Connell is dark while his mum is blonde, they don’t look alike and he doesn’t know who his Dad is. Marianne is described as having crooked teeth, and at one point Connell likens her body to flour dough... which sounds terrible but he was thinking it in an endearing kind of way. From reading the book I got the feeling that they were somehow a little mismatched physically. Maybe that was just my perception.

• Heart
Reactions: 4
The scene with the counsellor at episode 10 was so beautifully played, could really feel his pain. Outstanding performance.
Incredible performance, I was spellbound.

I really don’t want another series - I think it’ll spoil the magic. Where would it go? One of the reasons it was so brilliant and engaging was because it was about the spell of first love, the uncertainly of ‘will they won’t they?’ which kept us transfixed. It’s always best to leave us wanting more and wondering what happened, that’s what make it so memorable.

Reactions: 11
Incredible performance, I was spellbound.

I really don’t want another series - I think it’ll spoil the magic. Where would it go? One of the reasons it was so brilliant and engaging was because it was about the spell of first love, the uncertainly of ‘will they won’t they?’ which kept us transfixed. It’s always best to leave us wanting more and wondering what happened, that’s what make it so memorable.
I agree. Like I said further up, I'm 50/50. I would watch it though. But yes, if its just more of the same or just a married with kids type story then I'd be a bit let down. Something big would have to happen to be as incredible as this series and to make another impact.

The series is very true to the book, in the events that happened anyway. I found the book more restrained somehow, it was less obvious what they were feeling, and the sex scenes were fleeting in the book. I actually preferred the series as it felt more tangible. I think the casting of Connell was spot on, but I feel that Daisy Edgar Jones is a little too pretty to be Marianne somehow? She played the character beautifully but I didn’t imagine Marianne to be as gorgeous as that for some reason. From what I remember in the book there isn’t much description of the way they look other than odd little snippets - Connell is dark while his mum is blonde, they don’t look alike and he doesn’t know who his Dad is. Marianne is described as having crooked teeth, and at one point Connell likens her body to flour dough... which sounds terrible but he was thinking it in an endearing kind of way. From reading the book I got the feeling that they were somehow a little mismatched physically. Maybe that was just my perception.
Thank you so much for this. I really am unsure about reading the book. I really think it would spoil the series for me.

Also, I think you can go from book to TV series but not really from TV series to book because if I read the book I'd just be thinking about the characters that I've been given on the TV? If you see what I mean. And like you say about the crooked teeth, I'd just be thinking but she hasn't got crooked teeth has she cus she's not on the TV 😂

Reactions: 3