Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

Sweetcorn

Chatty Member
I finished it for the 4th time last night. Then I finished the book. I had a full on break down after it 😭. I cried so much that I’ve woken up with a banging headache. Their love is so pure and tangible. The whole story is so relatable. I know I have someone from my teens/early 20s who will always feel like a soulmate to me, no matter how much pain, time and distance separates us. We saw each other through hard times and neither of us would be where we are without the other (literally). I encourage him to move away for uni (minutes before he withdrew everything) to the opposite end of the country, knowing full well that he may meet someone else, have a completely new life or never return. Years later, he still hasn’t returned. But I can relate to that feeling of loving someone so much that you want them to be happy, to do things for themselves, achieve their dreams - even if that means you lose a part of them, or all of them. These feelings are so real and they just live tucked away inside us. Truth is, I still think about him and my biggest worry is whether or not he is truly happy. You get to a point in life where you realise that you might meet your soulmate but not necessarily live happily ever after, together. And that’s ok, these people teach us so much about love and about ourselves that the love you shared wasn’t in vain. Maybe one day the universe brings these people back to you one way or another. I’m not sure.

The moment when Connell finally kisses her and tells her he loves her, in front of all their old school friends, the people he used to keep her a secret from, with the flash back of their first ‘secret’ kiss just got me. Then the very last scene with Marianne telling him to go to NY - even though she wanted him to stay. The line ‘we’ve done so much good for one another’, just hits you differently. They changed each other’s lives completely. The ending was very bittersweet but that’s what makes it so real. Real life isn’t a fairytale.

The way the final part was written it the book was perfect. States that even thought Marianne would miss Connell, she still wanted him to go because missing him wouldn’t be as bad as the pain she felt from feeling worthless her whole life. Connell helped her see that she wasn’t. All she wanted was someone to truly love her. He did that for her 😭.

The acting was flawless. The touch on male mental health was also very important. This will probably go down as my favourite love story. Nothing flashy or unrealistic. Just two people who truly see each other. I can’t stop thinking about it. It broke me and healed me all at the same time.

Also just want to add, the soundtrack is perfect. There’s the tv show soundtrack, Connell’s soundtrack and Marianne’s soundtrack all on Spotify. Everything is so fitting.

Sorry that was so long. I’m just feeling all the feelings at the minute 😂

Last edited:
  • Heart
  • Sad
Reactions: 31

onmylunchbreak

I don't understand why Marianne's family are so horrible towards her?
Having read the book I think it’s complicated. Their father was abusive, and so the brother has learned behaviours from him, and exhibits them himself. The mother is submissive to him, as she was her husband, and I think for her, as Marianne is the ‘thing’ that sets him off, she resents Marianne for ‘causing’ his behaviour. Alan’s hatred of Marianne is mostly illogical but made worse by his jealousy over her academic achievements.

Reactions: 18

Sweetcorn

Chatty Member
Okay so I’m still thinking about this show guys.

I. Can’t. Stop. Watching. It.

I don’t know what this feeling is. Am I going crazy? Please someone tell me I’m not the only one? I feel so heartbroken (in a good way and a bad way) 😂😂 Now I’m laughing at myself because I sound absolutely insane.

Every time I watch it, there is a different scene that really hits me. Last night the scene that got me was the one when they are in bed in Italy. The moment when Marianne says that she doesn’t known why she can’t make people love her and that sometimes she thinks she must deserves to be hurt otherwise why would people do it. It just stuck out to me so much. I love how they don’t sugar coat anything or try to just imply things. It’s very straightforward to the point that it’s actually painful to hear. The things she said will resonate with so many hurt and lost souls 💔💔 ughhhhh

Then I was just watching the Sweden ep and when Lukas’ is taking her photo with the voice over of Connell’s email. It’s like she’s re-reading it over in her head, as she’s sat there in his studio and realising that she doesn’t deserve it. When he says that she is a good person, that nothing is wrong with her and that just because people treat her badly doesn’t mean she deserves it. Again, there are so many people in the world that need to hear those words. Fuck this show is outstanding.

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 17

Spider12

VIP Member
Think I’m going to have to watch it all again. I need to fill the void it’s left 💔

The two actors must have fancied each other in real life to have chemistry like that, they were electric!

Reactions: 16

AfroCircus

Chatty Member
Absolutely loved the series, even if I found myself screaming ‘why can’t you just communicate with each other!’ at the TV several times.

My favourite episode was the Italy trip. The table fight was *chefs kiss* - ‘god forbid you have to actually meet an Asian person’. :ROFLMAO:

I was absolutely rooting for Connell to smack the shit out of Jamie. Marianne and her messy choices...WHOMST would choose Jamie over Connell????? In what reality???? Then you ask to sleep in Connell’s room. Girl you could have slept in Peggy’s room! I see you! And then, most unrealistic at all, you decline to have sex with him. I admire her self-control :ROFLMAO:

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 15

RumNCoke

Chatty Member
I really didn’t like the ending! It was like they finally found each other and understood each other...then he fucks off to New York 🤣 she didn’t sound interested in waiting for him either 😢
Oh my god I wish she just feckin went with him so I can sleep easy at night 😭
I don't get why she'd want to stay? No family, friends, job? New York seems way more fitting for marianne than connell!

• Haha
Reactions: 15

MissTeddy

VIP Member
I’ve just finished watching. I’m 45 years old and I’m upstairs Sobbing on my bed, I’m entirely broken. I’d have gone with him in a heartbeat but I entirely understand why she didn’t, for the first time ever she felt content in her own self.
best acting I’ve ever seen.

• Heart
Reactions: 14
Just finished the whole series in two nights 🙈 It started quite slow and at first wasn’t sure I was going to like it. My partner lost Interest at ep.5 but I carried on and must say I really loved it. Connoll is just adorable 😍 never seen him before but have seen her in cold feet, she is one of David and Karen’s daughter’s. In parts I actually felt butterflies in my tummy, that feeling when you fall in love. I’m happily together with my partner and two kids but there really is no better feeling than that early stage. The closest feeling I get to that feeling now is when he suggests a take away curry for dinner 😛

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 13

HaloGirl

VIP Member
Loved, loved loved it. The chemistry between Connell and Marianne was amazing. The Irish scenery was breathtaking. Cried at so many parts of it. It made envious that I never will experience University again. The acting was incredible. And loved the soundtrack.

Reactions: 13

Sogdhitalley

VIP Member
I finished it for the 4th time last night. Then I finished the book. I had a full on break down after it 😭. I cried so much that I’ve woken up with a banging headache. Their love is so pure and tangible. The whole story is so relatable. I know I have someone from my teens/early 20s who will always feel like a soulmate to me, no matter how much pain, time and distance separates us. We saw each other through hard times and neither of us would be where we are without the other (literally). I encourage him to move away for uni (minutes before he withdrew everything) to the opposite end of the country, knowing full well that he may meet someone else, have a completely new life or never return. Years later, he still hasn’t returned. But I can relate to that feeling of loving someone so much that you want them to be happy, to do things for themselves, achieve their dreams - even if that means you lose a part of them, or all of them. These feelings are so real and they just live tucked away inside us. Truth is, I still think about him and my biggest worry is whether or not he is truly happy. You get to a point in life where you realise that you might meet your soulmate but not necessarily live happily ever after, together. And that’s ok, these people teach us so much about love and about ourselves that the love you shared wasn’t in vain. Maybe one day the universe brings these people back to you one way or another. I’m not sure.

The moment when Connell finally kisses her and tells her he loves her, in front of all their old school friends, the people he used to keep her a secret from, with the flash back of their first ‘secret’ kiss just got me. Then the very last scene with Marianne telling him to go to NY - even though she wanted him to stay. The line ‘we’ve done so much good for one another’, just hits you differently. They changed each other’s lives completely. The ending was very bittersweet but that’s what makes it so real. Real life isn’t a fairytale.

The way the final part was written it the book was perfect. States that even thought Marianne would miss Connell, she still wanted him to go because missing him wouldn’t be as bad as the pain she felt from feeling worthless her whole life. Connell helped her see that she wasn’t. All she wanted was someone to truly love her. He did that for her 😭.

The acting was flawless. The touch on male mental health was also very important. This will probably go down as my favourite love story. Nothing flashy or unrealistic. Just two people who truly see each other. I can’t stop thinking about it. It broke me and healed me all at the same time.

Also just want to add, the soundtrack is perfect. There’s the tv show soundtrack, Connell’s soundtrack and Marianne’s soundtrack all on Spotify. Everything is so fitting.

Sorry that was so long. I’m just feeling all the feelings at the minute 😂

You have summed it up perfectly.
I had goosebumps reading your summary, just perfect.

• Heart
Reactions: 12

Mia75

Chatty Member
I thought it was incredible😍❤
watched all 12 episodes last Sunday. I couldn’t stop! Haha
I can’t believe it is Paul Mescal’s first tv job. He was SO incredible. His portrayal of depression and grief was so important.

when he apologised to her, and she accepted it. I cried my eyes out! So beautiful❤

Give them both all the awards 👏🏼 👏🏼

• Heart
I watched all episodes in one sitting... was only meant to watch two, stayed up till 1.30am. I was an emotional wreck afterwards. Had no appetite for two days, felt like I had been dumped. The acting is superb and it’s beautifully filmed. I’ve watched it again, this time no tears haha. There’s so many bits I can relate to, also made me realise how much I miss kissing and intimacy. I’m very very single so I really noticed that. I plan on watching it for a 3rd time as it’s the one thing I’ve loved since lockdown

Spider12

VIP Member
Finished the last episode this afternoon. I’m still gutted it’s all over hours later. Very emotional and just so well acted so it felt like you were watching real people. I have to give myself a slap 👋🏻 now and tell myself to get a grip 😂 Oh but Connell 😍

Reactions: 11

La_frenchie

The scene with the counsellor at episode 10 was so beautifully played, could really feel his pain. Outstanding performance.

• Heart

Spider12

VIP Member
Yes I read the bit about the intimacy coach!! I would like some intimacy coaching with Connell please 🤣 ‘pulls self together immediately and remembers she is a 34 year old married mum of two!’ 😂😂😂

• Haha

Dizzy

VIP Member
The scene with the counsellor at episode 10 was so beautifully played, could really feel his pain. Outstanding performance.
Incredible performance, I was spellbound.

I really don’t want another series - I think it’ll spoil the magic. Where would it go? One of the reasons it was so brilliant and engaging was because it was about the spell of first love, the uncertainly of ‘will they won’t they?’ which kept us transfixed. It’s always best to leave us wanting more and wondering what happened, that’s what make it so memorable.

xxx123

I really didn’t like the ending! It was like they finally found each other and understood each other...then he fucks off to New York 🤣 she didn’t sound interested in waiting for him either 😢

• Sad
Reactions: 10

Horatio

VIP Member
Having read the book I think it’s complicated. Their father was abusive, and so the brother has learned behaviours from him, and exhibits them himself. The mother is submissive to him, as she was her husband, and I think for her, as Marianne is the ‘thing’ that sets him off, she resents Marianne for ‘causing’ his behaviour. Alan’s hatred of Marianne is mostly illogical but made worse by his jealousy over her academic achievements.
Yeah her brother is clearly hugely resentful of her and deeply insecure, at first because he wants to fit in at school so projects that onto her, blaming her for him feeling uncool, probably also subconsciously jealous that she doesn’t care about being popular like he does.
Then as time passes and there becomes an ever larger divide between those who stayed in Sligo after school and those who went out into the world... as happens in real life. Anyone who ever says “do you think your better than us?” Is usually talking from a place of insecurity, right ?

And the mother was depressed and traumatised by whatever happened with the father. That and drinking too much making her completely narcissistic . I must admit watching her neglect, pretending not to see Alan’s abusive behaviour was difficult to watch, it felt very real. It made me very angry.

The whole thing was definitely represented more clearly in the book, and it was slowly drawn out. You had a growing unease and sense of something being wrong long before you saw the bullying...and worse.

On the other hand, it’s a little too neat don’t you think how loving and warm the poor family are compared to how totally cold and devoid of love the rich family are ? Could’ve been a bit subtler.

Mag83

Rubbish, its just shagging, everyone knows what happens but who wants to see all that! The lead male is also too old for the role, he could never pass for 18, he looks nearer 30. Its absolute crap, if it went any slower it would go backwards.
I duno I wouldn’t agree with the lead looking older. I went to school in Ireland and he looked exactly like one of the popular Gaelic players in our school and also reminded me of a few others. They have overly muscular legs and broad shoulders from the training they do for football and the sport’s taken so seriously here at school level, the macrory team players at school are like gods for some reason. I remember whoever the captain was that year of the team, was always head boy at our school for some stupid reason. He just looks like your typical GAA player and I thought he suited the part to a tee.