Noisy Neighbour

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Hi!!
Moved into our new home 3 months ago. Next door neighbour moved in last Monday, and had himself a big party last night. Music absolutely blaring!! (And I mean blaring - it was like trying to sleep INSIDE the speakers in a nightclub), doors slamming to all hours, shouting and roaring, sounded like they were jumping all over the floorboards upstairs too. This went on to about 4am.
And a lovely array of cigarette butts threw over the fence into my garden.
My dog was absolutely terrified and had to sleep in my bed for the first time ever.

My question is can I call the police/101 if this happens again? I’m not a buzzkill but have a bit of f*cking respect for the people around you!

I think you can call the police if it's after 11pm and before 7am as the excessive noise rules apply to everyone. Unfortunately, they are likely to work out who called though, which may cause more hassle. Hope you get it sorted :(

You could call them but chances are they would not act as it is more of a Civil/anti-social behaviour matter. Your best bet would be to keep a log of what happens, including times and dates and if possible recordings/photographs and then report it to your Neighbourhood Police team or local council. Sometimes they will advise (if you feel comfortable) that you could try to take to your neighbour, if not they’d then contact them to inform hem there has been a complaint - at this point it would remain anonymous and they wouldn’t be told who has complained. They would more than likely ask you to keep the log for a few weeks as they would then come to your property to listen to the disruption so they’d need a pattern of when it happens.

If they have only just moved in hopefully it will not be an ongoing occurrence although not a very good first impression.

How very distressing and unsettling for you. Keeping a log is the best answer and gathering whatever evidence you have to present to the police. Have other people been affected by their noisy and trashy behaviour?

Hopefully was just a housewarming party and not a regular occurance. Trying to speak with them is probably the best first option, as calling the police/council etc is likely to cause a rift. They may not have realised what a pain they were being if drunk. Or that friends had thrown in your garden etc

Keep a log and submit to environmental health, try and get footage/recordings too.

I’ve had a noisy neighbour before and it’s horrible to live with xx

Reactions: 2
We had this last summer but with a dog barking. 101 or the RSPCA wouldn't do anything, we had to go through environmental health. It's a long process but things do get done.
As others have said keep a log of it and ring environmental health out of hours number if it's at night, they have to come out and make there own recording of it.

Reactions: 1
I have ones next door that have sex about 4 times a day. It drives me crazy. She's a screamer too. There's no way he's pleasing her like that. She's defo a good actress.

• Haha
Reactions: 9
I’d be inclined to try and sort it out between you both. Maybe introduce yourself and have a conversation. They may bring up the noise and apologise themselves.
We had the same thing with our next door neighbour. The first few nights were awful and I went round to introduce myself and give her info on bin days etc and she apologised for the noise ( first house and overexcited it seemed). It was better that was as our first conversation wasn’t a complaint about noise. Better to preempt it. If they continue then I would take the routes suggested by pp’s.

If you’re renting send an email complaining to your landlord and ask to remain anonymous. I moved into an upstairs flat in February and most nights my downstairs neighbour slams doors, can cope with that and can deal with him having his kids round at weekends slamming doors. What I couldn’t deal with was him yelling all night one night, taking drugs and getting into heated arguments with whoever he had round, it went on until 6am and I had to be up for work. He got a verbal warning from the landlord and they kept me anonymous and he isn’t AS noisy now. Hope things have worked out for you and no more all night parties.

I wish my neighbours would only do a loud party once in a while.

Instead I've got this guy with effectively workshops in their back garden. Evenings and weekends they just turn the radio up loud enough so they can hear it over tools and often go out of the house leaving it on. I can hear it all throughout my house and It drives me crazy and I'm trying to sell the house with no luck. Once the music stops I have a constant hum from a hot tub that never shuts up. I'll be slashing the price just to get out of there this year. Neighbours can ruin your life and heath, get out of you can.

• Sad
Reactions: 2
Hi!!
Moved into our new home 3 months ago. Next door neighbour moved in last Monday, and had himself a big party last night. Music absolutely blaring!! (And I mean blaring - it was like trying to sleep INSIDE the speakers in a nightclub), doors slamming to all hours, shouting and roaring, sounded like they were jumping all over the floorboards upstairs too. This went on to about 4am.
And a lovely array of cigarette butts threw over the fence into my garden.
My dog was absolutely terrified and had to sleep in my bed for the first time ever.

My question is can I call the police/101 if this happens again? I’m not a buzzkill but have a bit of f*cking respect for the people around you!
We’re currently going through this with our ‘neighbour’ and local council, the police in our area won’t come out to a house for noise related issues unless it’s fighting, they’re not interested in music at 2:30am so we’ve had to install the Noise App on our phones, check your council accepts recordings.
Also keep a noise diary and if you have security cameras of late night parties people turning up etc take photos / videos capturing the date / time.
If you go on the government website ‘noisy neighbour’ it’ll ask for your postcode and direct you to your local councils noise page! Good luck!