Noel Clarke

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Sorry yeah, I'm talking specifically about the UK which hasn't had any sort of #MeToo movement, even up to now, and is way behind the US on this issue. The open letter, for example that over a 1000 in the industry have now signed, has been written as a result of the Noel Clarke allegations.
So what? Reading that Guardian article (regardless of who it was about) would have been enough to make anyone say enough is enough, it was horrific - especially for those who have been subjected to similar treatment by predator in the industry.

This is even touched on in the letter itself:

"His case is not a one-off and, shockingly, is not an extreme example. It has happened to so many of us that it seems normal.

"It has happened to so many of us at the hands of men in positions of power within the industry - whether industry colleagues, presenters or actors. It has happened in plain sight."

I should add that there was an open letter penned to the UK Film Industry around the time of Weinstein's case coming to light but it didn't gain as much traction.

Sorry yeah, I'm talking specifically about the UK which hasn't had any sort of #MeToo movement, even up to now, and is way behind the US on this issue. The open letter, for example that over a 1000 in the industry have now signed, has been written as a result of the Noel Clarke allegations. I could name many, many men that have had really serious allegations over the years and the media, PR people, lawyers and even police have colluded to ensure their allegations have not come to light.
Yes but you could say the same thing about NC. He "enjoyed" a 15 year+ streak of harassment and abuse before he was finally taken down.

At the end of the day, sad as it is, until a barrage of allegations come into the public domain - and by public domain I mean are printed in the papers - allegations are unlikely to be taken seriously.

People seem to struggle with believing one or two isolated incidents heard through the grapevine (as we saw in Weinstein's case when news of his vile behaviour broke. It was only when the allegations kept coming and people were brave enough to speak on the record that it was taken seriously).

Reactions: 2
The Guardian website is not behind a paywall.

The tribute video was filmed for Doctor Who executive producers Julie Gardner and Russell T Davies. “Can’t block out,” sang Tennant, “please lock out, images of Johnny B getting his cock out.” The camera cuts to Barrowman, delivering a wink to the camera.

Gardner confirmed that she received a complaint around 2008 about Barrowman’s conduct on the set of Torchwood. “I met with John and reprimanded him,” Gardner said, adding that she also spoke to other executive producers, Barrowman’s agent, and the head of BBC drama commissioning, to “make it clear to both John and his agent that behaviour of this kind would not be tolerated … To my knowledge, John’s inappropriate behaviour stopped thereafter,” she added.

She told the Guardian that she was not aware of any inappropriate behaviour by Clarke. “I am saddened and shocked by the accusations raised. If I had known of them there would have been prompt action taken,” she said. “I am grateful that people are coming forward to speak up and support them wholeheartedly.”

Russell T Davies also he never saw Barrowman expose himself, and was unaware of any complaints about Clarke’s behaviour towards female coworkers on set and never heard of or witnessed inappropriate behaviour by the actor. Had he received a complaint, Davies said he would have acted immediately.

“I apologise wholeheartedly to any cast or crew who went through this,” Davies said, adding: “all power to those coming forward now – we will listen to them, and learn”.

‘My understanding and behaviour have changed’
A BBC spokesperson confirmed to the Guardian that Barrowman was reprimanded for this behaviour. “To be absolutely clear, we will investigate any specific allegations made by individuals to the BBC – and if anyone has been subjected to or witnessed inappropriate behaviour of any kind we would encourage them to raise it with us directly,” a BBC spokesperson said.

“We have a zero tolerance approach and robust processes are in place – which are regularly reviewed and updated to reflect best practice – to ensure any complaints or concerns are handled with the utmost seriousness and care.”

Lawyers for Barrowman said he did “not recall” the incidents recounted by Jenna and Monica. In 2008, Barrowman apologised for pulling down his trousers during a BBC Radio 1 interview. “I apologise for any offence I have caused,” he said at the time. “I was joining in the light-hearted and fun banter of the show, and went too far.”

Advertisement

In a statement in response to the latest allegations, Barrowman said at no point was he made aware of allegations against Clarke. As for his own.

Reactions: 4
I’ll put a spoiler on it in case someone hasn’t seen it.
So Kate (the lady next door played by Catherine Tyldesley ) confessed to muttering Carl’s first wife. Then Zoe and NC became an item. He went downstairs to the South African guys flat to water the plants and noticed a rug out of place. He found blood 🩸 underneath it and it led him to a chest freezer in the basement where Gemma’s body was. Turns out G had seen Z spying on her and confronted her. They’d argued and she fell over the bannister, hit her head and died. Zoe panicked and stuck her in the freezer. Quite a good twist in the end!
Fab, yeah I seen that one, I must have counted my episodes wrong!!

Thank you!!

Reactions: 1
Ok so, Russell T was entirely unaware of Barrowman's widely talked about penchant for getting his cock out at any opportunity. A likely story.

Clarke:

Joanne Hayes was a costume assistant on series 1 of the revived Doctor Who, shot in 2004. She alleges that Clarke sexually harassed her in his trailer in August 2004 after she assisted him with his costume.

After a brief work-related conversation, she said, Clarke told her that he “liked girls with long hair, as it gave him something to hold on to when doing them from behind”. Hayes, who had very long hair that came to her mid-back, said she made to leave the trailer because she felt uncomfortable.

At this point, she alleges, Clarke repeated the comment, sucked his teeth, exhaled heavily, and laughed. Clarke’s lawyers said he strongly denies the allegation and said the incident described did not take place.

Hayes said she did not report the incident to her bosses because “at that time, the culture was very different”. However, she said the experience left her feeling “uneasy near him”, and she avoided him as best she could.

Another woman, Jenna (not her real name), was a runner and driver on the early seasons of the revived Doctor Who, shot in the mid-2000s. As part of her role, she was required to drive Clarke to and from set. During these car journeys, she alleges, Clarke touched her inappropriately. She said he would touch her hand when it was on the gear stick, and grabbed her leg when she was driving.

“Constantly the conversation was about sex,” Jenna said, adding that Clarke repeatedly asked her to go to his hotel room for sex, asked her sexually inappropriate questions and made sexually explicit and graphic remarks to her. She said she complained to an assistant director on the BBC show, and as a result was put on different duties.

She recalled telling the assistant director: “I can’t drive him any more … I don’t want to be on my own with him.” She said she did not know whether senior executives were at the time also aware of Clarke’s conduct.

After Clarke realised that Jenna was no longer his driver, she alleges, he turned nasty, telling her “you think you’re better than people” and becoming obstructive and difficult. A fellow crew member who witnessed Clarke’s behaviour towards Jenna described it as “bullying”.

Clarke strongly denied the allegations. His lawyers said any suggestion that he would be allowed to behave that way because of his perceived power was “entirely implausible” because he was near the start of his career.
bleeping creep.

• Angry
Reactions: 15
People seem to struggle with believing one or two isolated incidents heard through the grapevine (as we saw in Weinstein's case when news of his vile behaviour broke. It was only when the allegations kept coming and people were brave enough to speak on the record that it was taken seriously).
Yes I think that is part of my point - others are protected from things ever making it to the light and are seemingly 'too powerful' to touch in the first place. (A music industry example, but Rebecca Ferguson spoke of the police telling victims 'they mix with powerful people, there's nothing we can do' and police continuously 'losing' reports filed on individuals. And Zoe Alexander said recently that two alleged victims were invited to tell their traumatic stories to a newspaper and then the newspaper just ditched the stories with no explanation. I'm sure this type of thing happens with Film / TV industry perpetrators too.)

But yes, at least the open letter has pointed out this is a widespread problem that runs deep. I had a bad feeling the media /powers that run the industry would try to make NC a 'one bad apple' type of example and get back to burying the problem at large, but let's see. It is a huge struggle to expose certain types and I don't know if that will change. It runs deeper than people just being scared to talk, as I saw the author of the open letter state. It's a protection racket.

Reactions: 9
Please don't use 'playing the race card' as if racism isn't a very real thing. Noel Clarke is being used as 'the face' of sexual predators in an industry with allegations against powerful white men for decades. I wouldn't be surprised if people were wondering why that was. It's good he has been exposed but yes, let's expose the rest now - majority white men.
I’m well aware racism is very real but thanks for your advice.

They mention an anonymous actress in the latest guardian article. I wonder who that could be?

Reactions: 2
They mention an anonymous actress in the latest guardian article. I wonder who that could be?
No clue but I definitely don't think it's Freema... the quote "regularly asking me if I wanted a ‘piece of his dark chocolate" screams fetish (not saying the actress fetishised him at all!) but I can't see him talking like that to a Black/Mixed actress

It's probably someone who was relatively new on the scene at the time though - "When she rejected his advances, the actor said, Clarke badmouthed her to people in the industry." - Can't see the badmouthing working on someone who was established...

Reactions: 5
All this stuff coming out from the Doctor Who set makes it a bit more clear about why Eccleston left after one series... He was obviously a bit more professional, and from what I've read he had falling outs with his bosses, maybe he saw stuff and wasn't happy with the way it was handled?

Reactions: 19
No clue but I definitely don't think it's Freema... the quote "regularly asking me if I wanted a ‘piece of his dark chocolate" screams fetish (not saying the actress fetishised him at all!) but I can't see him talking like that to a Black/Mixed actress

It's probably someone who was relatively new on the scene at the time though - "When she rejected his advances, the actor said, Clarke badmouthed her to people in the industry." - Can't see the badmouthing working on someone who was established...
He was starting out himself then though. Maybe he was arrogant enough to spread rumours about her knowing that mud sticks to women in the industry more than it does to men.

• Angry
Reactions: 5
Urgh why would you even do that? How can waving your cock about not be sexual? Is it because he's gay? Its still sexual. I cant believe everyone on set thought it was hilarious. Apparently it was one of the reasons Eccleston left, because he didnt get on with Barrowman.
Imagine assuming that everyone wants to see your genita 🤢 if I went around flashing my minge to my colleagues on the regular I’d be locked up!

• Haha
Reactions: 20
I’m a detail person. For JB to be able to slice a birthday cake surely his todger would have to be in a ‘certain state’ - apologies for the images this might cause.

• Sick
  • Haha
Russell T Davies also he never saw Barrowman expose himself, and was unaware of any complaints about Clarke’s behaviour towards female coworkers on set and never heard of or witnessed inappropriate behaviour by the actor. Had he received a complaint, Davies said he would have acted immediately.

“I apologise wholeheartedly to any cast or crew who went through this,” Davies said, adding: “all power to those coming forward now – we will listen to them, and learn”
b u l l S H I T

I am not sure why he would lie and say he never saw it. With how many people were willing to say they saw and didn’t seem to mind it he could easily say the same and apologise for it,
He may not have known about Clarke, but he certainly did about Barrowman.

Reactions: 10
I am not sure why he would lie and say he never saw it. With how many people were willing to say they saw and didn’t seem to mind it he could easily say the same and apologise for it,
Because he was the show runner. The buck should have stopped with him and he should have made clear the behaviour expected. If he didnt know he wasnt paying attention to what was going on on his own show.

• Heart
Reactions: 10
Barrowman - I don’t believe it was a sexual harassment thing but it is still an offensive thing to do to colleagues. How huge must your ego be to think this would be seen as high jinks, or just a laugh. He is a big personality, loud and OTT, one of the stars of the show. Even if you were offended, you can bet you would not say anything- you would look square or might even be dropped. It doesn’t matter if you are gay or straight, male or female, but showing your genitalia in the workplace is such a weird thing to do, and even if it wasn’t sexual harassment, I think the perpetrator was getting a sexual thrill out of it. And I can’t believe that RTD did not know.

Reactions: 11
The song is referenced in the Guardian article:
Barrowman’s behaviour was even referenced in a lighthearted tribute song, called The Ballad of Russell and Julie and filmed to commemorate the end of Tennant’s tenure as the Doctor in 2008. The video is understood to have been filmed after cast and crew discovered Barrowman had been reprimanded for exposing himself on the set of Torchwood.
The tribute video was filmed for Doctor Who executive producers Julie Gardner and Russell T Davies. “Can’t block out,” sang Tennant, “please lock out, images of Johnny B getting his cock out.” The camera cuts to Barrowman, delivering a wink to the camera.
Gardner confirmed that she received a complaint around 2008 about Barrowman’s conduct on the set of Torchwood. “I met with John and reprimanded him,” Gardner said, adding that she also spoke to other executive producers, Barrowman’s agent, and the head of BBC drama commissioning, to “make it clear to both John and his agent that behaviour of this kind would not be tolerated … To my knowledge, John’s inappropriate behaviour stopped thereafter,” she added.
As for Dr Who set, it is said
Although she did not appreciate his behaviour, or find it particularly funny, Monica stressed she did not feel unsafe. “It just felt really uncomfortable,” she said.
From other reports, Barrowman’s behavior was widely accepted on the Dr Who set. I seem to recall that Catherine Tate said when she first met Barrowman in the makeup trailer, he immediately suggested they swap phone numbers, and the makeup person told her “but he’ll just send you the pictures of his willy” (which he apparently did). She also said when the three of them (plus Tennant) were filming their first scene together, he whipped it out (when he was out of shot), and she was completely freaked out, while David just ignored it. I mean, she was definitely not a novice and could have said something, but if the common attitude was “oh it’s just John being John” I can see how people could not be willing to come forward. In situations like these you’re often made to look as if you’re the problem - “come on, don’t be a spoilsport, have some sense of humour” etc.

• Angry
  • Wow
Reactions: 20