Nicola Sturgeon, SNP, Scottish Politics and Scottish Independence

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
You forget to mention we also have the lowest taxes in the UK 🙄 If we have control of our own affairs gas and oil companies would have been paying windfall taxes a long time ago to name one thing that would be different.

You do realise the Scottish government can't overspend? They have to balance their budget because they have no borrowing powers. The ignorance of Scottish affairs outside Scotland is one of the reasons we want independence.
with all due respect who is we you refer to, I am Scottish and like many others I know of in Scotland do not want Independence!

Reactions: 9
If Scotland were to leave the Union, would they be able to keep paying for free University places, free prescriptions, etc?
We do not have free university places instead we have a limited amount of fully funded places in Scottish universities where demand always outstrips supply meaning many students have to pay for an English place.

The cost of prescriptions is about 1.5 billion per year which comes out of the NHS budget which could be better spent by charging those you can pay.

Reactions: 1
When prescriptions were made free the reason was it cost more in administration for paid prescriptions and exemption certs. The vast majority of prescriptions weren’t paid for anyway as children/disabled/unemployed/elderly are naturally the main group of people who get prescribed medicines.

They wouldn’t save 1.5 billion by going back to having charges for certain groups.

We do not have free university places instead we have a limited amount of fully funded places in Scottish universities where demand always outstrips supply meaning many students have to pay for an English place.

The cost of prescriptions is about 1.5 billion per year which comes out of the NHS budget which could be better spent by charging those you can pay.
exactly this! how many have abused it by getting the likes of paracetamol on prescription for example

Reactions: 2

Hasn't it been proven it costs more money to make it means tested than to just give everyone prescriptions free?

Reactions: 4
The money doesn't come from the UK. Fs. We pay tax in Scotland. VAT, Duty, Corporation, PAYE, Inheritance. All the taxes.

Would you give all your money to your neighbour then hold your hands out and accept a fraction of it back?
Your supreme leader has stated on numerous occasions that an independent Scotland would have a deficit ( re GERS) which would involve borrowing so the we pay more to get less back is a complete fallacy.

The lowest tax part of the UK....someone on a 35 hour a week minimum wage job is about £22 better off in Scotland whilst someone on the average wage is £5 worse off (the average wage being £28363) so just having a 19% tax rate for part does not mean people pay less tax in Scotland

Scotland can issue bonds up to £3 billion plus but the catch is that they are not underwritten by the treasury so would have a coupon significantly higher which would show people the higher borrowing costs an independent country would have. That's before we even get into the absurd position that future borrowing could be underwritten by oil and gas reserves when Sturgeon was against exploration in CAMBO. You could not make up some of the financial illiteracy that has been spouted by the SNP lately.

Hasn't it been proven it costs more money to make it means tested than to just give everyone prescriptions free?
For the likes of Opticians yes that is the case. However with increasing costs of prescriptions which are only likely to increase then it is something that should be looked at. The problem you have is the SG similar to the UK government is useless when it comes to implementing major IT systems. If Scotland had followed the likes of Estonia years ago in introducing a digital government as well as increasing accessing in the general population things like introducing means testing would be straightforward as all the govt departments would be linked.

Cambo is back on by the way. New operators.
the decision rested with the UK government who allowed it but the SNP who have long championed our oil reserves said it should not be explored.

Why wouldn't we be able to?

We'd vote for whatever party and the policies they put forward.

We'd keep all the money we raise and more significantly have borrowing powers.
We don’t even have enough tax payers to cover the current benefit claimants. How would we have enough to put in place all the infrastructure & administration we don’t currently have eg DVLA, Passport Office, Military etc let alone be giving people free tuition or prescriptions?

Inflation would be off the scale if there was a level of borrowing significant enough to cover all of this. We don’t even have a central bank.

Reactions: 6
You forget to mention we also have the lowest taxes in the UK 🙄 If we have control of our own affairs gas and oil companies would have been paying windfall taxes a long time ago to name one thing that would be different.

You do realise the Scottish government can't overspend? They have to balance their budget because they have no borrowing powers. The ignorance of Scottish affairs outside Scotland is one of the reasons we want independence.
We don’t have the lowest taxes in the U.K. though I pay more tax than I would if I lived in Carlisle . I wouldn’t trust the SNP to borrow a Provy loan never mind have access to millions of pounds to borrow . I can’t be bothered to argue though as independence fans seem blind to the many failures of the SNP and assume anyone who disagrees is a Tory .

Reactions: 7
For the likes of Opticians yes that is the case. However with increasing costs of prescriptions which are only likely to increase then it is something that should be looked at. The problem you have is the SG similar to the UK government is useless when it comes to implementing major IT systems. If Scotland had followed the likes of Estonia years ago in introducing a digital government as well as increasing accessing in the general population things like introducing means testing would be straightforward as all the govt departments would be linked.

the decision rested with the UK government who allowed it but the SNP who have long championed our oil reserves said it should not be explored.
It was sanctioned years ago. The sanction still stands. Scotgov wouldn’t have been able to change anything and UK government didn’t want it stopped.

It wasn’t stopped by anyone other than Shell who were the minority stakeholders.

If we have control

Thats the whole SNP thing, if only..... Always Westminster's fault for every failing and if only for them things would be amazing. Ignore their many failings of areas they have full control of. Repeat the propaganda like a robot.

Reactions: 5

Thats the whole SNP thing, if only..... Always Westminster's fault for every failing and if only for them things would be amazing. Ignore their many failings of areas they have full control of. Repeat the propaganda like a robot.
Exactly there’s actually little that Westminster do have control of . Neither governments are a success but the SNP don’t even own their own failures

Reactions: 3

Exactly this!

The money doesn't come from the UK. Fs. We pay tax in Scotland. VAT, Duty, Corporation, PAYE, Inheritance. All the taxes.

Would you give all your money to your neighbour then hold your hands out and accept a fraction of it back?
It's not just that. Scotland first economic partner is the UK . And what about the currency...

Do you think if I treated her to an evening with moi she might calm down and view things differently? A nice meal with a glass of Irn Bru to wash it down with ... I'm pretty sure with my wit and converation I could seduce her. I'm willing to make a scarifice for the good of the UK. Let me know ...

• Haha
Do you think if I treated her to an evening with moi she might calm down and view things differently? A nice meal with a glass of Irn Bru to wash it down with ... I'm pretty sure with my wit and converation I could seduce her. I'm willing to make a scarifice for the good of the UK. Let me know ...
You are brave!
Sweet talking would be easy, just whisper independence and she will be putty in your hands.

And hide the iron!

• Haha
I'm of the opinion that if scotland is actually subsidised by the UK, we would have been jettisoned years ago.

There must be a reason why they want to avoid indyref 2 to the point where its not even up for discussion - its just a straight no.

I wonder what the reason is???

• Heart
Reactions: 3
Because we are stronger together. It would be a nightmare trying to break the union apart. It would make Brexit look like child’s play. But I’m glad someone in Government is listening to the Scottish people because Sturgeon is not.

Because we are stronger together. It would be a nightmare trying to break the union apart. It would make Brexit look like child’s play. But I’m glad someone in Government is listening to the Scottish people because Sturgeon is not.
Stronger together? Unionists have had nearly a decade to prove a case for this and have offered nothing expect empty promises, brexit. More austerity and just a blatant joke of a government

Reactions: 7
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.