Nicola Sturgeon, SNP, Scottish Politics and Scottish Independence

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Those sections of Northern Irish politics who seem to like nothing more than to engage in petty squabbles and bickering should find a nice island somewhere off the Scottish coast and live there with their Scottish equivlent. These people just love bickering don't they, it's does yer heed in.

Reactions: 1
Yes voter last time and yes voter this time round and I do believe there will be another vote. And for the people who say they think she will be in power if (when) Scotland become independent. She won’t. The SNP would disband as there would be no need for them. Certainly there would be similar parties with similar manifestos but it would give Scottish people a chance to vote for different parties they may not have been able to vote for before.
Scottish, ex-SNP member, now living in England. I disagree that SNP would disband. They aren’t only a party who are campaigning for independence.

Reactions: 2
I voted YES in 2014 but if there were to be another vote, for as long as the SNP want to re-join Europe, I am afraid it will be a NO from our household. I just cannot understand why they do not want to be ruled by Westminster but yet are quite happy to fund the unelected Eurocrats and be ruled by them.

Edited to add, does anyone else think she will now stand down?
If it had been a yes vote in 2014, we’d have left the UK in March 2016 before the brexit referendum even happened. The SNP didn’t care about Europe as a Yes vote would have taken us out of the EU at the point we left the UK since Scotland was not a member in it’s own right.

They only care about it now as it’s a vehicle to try to get what they want since the majority of people in Scotland voted to stay in the EU.

She won’t step down anytime soon. Megalomaniac. Look at the current situation with the failings in SNHS where it’s been minuted at meetings that they’re looking into making people pay privately. Or the issues with Education.
She says the buck stops with her but never takes accountability. This will just be another finger pointing exercise and a bunch of “it’s not fair”.

You can absolutely bet if this were all flipped around and we had left but people were campaigning to rejoin they’d be told to jog on. She wouldn’t know integrity if it slapped her in the face.

So it never said once in a generation then? The only people who should be able to decide when we have another referendum is the Scottish people. To deny that is to deny democracy. If No voters and Union hard ons were so confident of a No again why are they not pressing on with a vote as it will kill independence for years. At least a generation 😉
Um…

Reactions: 6
If Scotland were to leave the Union, would they be able to keep paying for free University places, free prescriptions, etc?

If Scotland were to leave the Union, would they be able to keep paying for free University places, free prescriptions, etc?
Doubtful. The ending of prescriptions was one of the things being discussed in the meeting the BBC reported on a couple of days ago.

Reactions: 3
Why wouldn't we be able to?

We'd vote for whatever party and the policies they put forward.

We'd keep all the money we raise and more significantly have borrowing powers.

Ah but haven't you heard, we're too wee, too poor and too stupid to go it alone 🙄

I would imagine independence would cost money and there wouldn’t be money coming from the UK anymore so I’m thinking that something may have to give, even for a little while?

• Haha
Reactions: 4
I would imagine independence would cost money and there wouldn’t be money coming from the UK anymore so I’m thinking that something may have to give, even for a little while?
The money doesn't come from the UK. Fs. We pay tax in Scotland. VAT, Duty, Corporation, PAYE, Inheritance. All the taxes.

Would you give all your money to your neighbour then hold your hands out and accept a fraction of it back?

The money doesn't come from the UK. Fs. We pay tax in Scotland. VAT, Duty, Corporation, PAYE, Inheritance. All the taxes.

Would you give all your money to your neighbour then hold your hands out and accept a fraction of it back?
I didn’t say that the money comes from the UK, just that some money comes from the UK, independence is going to cost something and I was wondering if Scotland would be able to keep things like free University spaces, that’s all.

Reactions: 4
I didn’t say that the money comes from the UK, just that some money comes from the UK, independence is going to cost something and I was wondering if Scotland would be able to keep things like free University spaces, that’s all.
Yeah it will cost but we will have borrowing powers and be able to have more progressive taxes which should go towards paying for the many benefits we see in Scotland.

How can Nicola Sturgeon claim to respect democracy, when she is planning to go against the Supreme Court ruling and use the next election as a 'defacto' referendum.

That hardly seems democratic to me.

The SNP need to prioritise dealing with their failings occurring in Scotland, rather than this tiresome crusade for independence.

Reactions: 8
Let's have a vote every month on if Scotland should leave a 300 year old union. Because otherwise it's not dEmOcRaCy 😆😆. Once the right decision to leave then only then should it never be voted on again.

More people voted for pro union parties in the last election anyway so there's no mandate anyways! It's only because the vote is split that the SNP win soamy seats.

Yeah it will cost but we will have borrowing powers and be able to have more progressive taxes which should go towards paying for the many benefits we see in Scotland.
Considering people in Scotland who earn over 26 k pay more tax than someone earning the same in England do I don’t think the progressive taxes are progressive at all more like they are another sign of the SNP doing their worst to punish hard working people so they can use taxes for their many vanity projects . 26 k isn’t even the average wage across the U.K. any more . There’s also only about 2.4 million tax payers in Scotland yet despite paying more taxes than the rest of the U.K. the SNP still end up overspending .

Reactions: 3
For me, the EU referendum was the breaking point. We were told explicitly that the only way to stay in the EU was to stay in the UK. Well look how that has turned out!!!

And if unionists are so sure there is no appetite for independence, what's the problem with having Indyref 2??? It'll just confirm it!!!

I was an hesitant Yes in 2014. Now, I feel independence is the only way forward for Scotland.

The Tory Party won't be happy till they've brought back Workhouses and brought in euthanasia for the poor, old and sick. And the Labour Party should get prosecuted under the Trades Description Act.

The fact that English people were popping up on the news wanting Bawjaws back as Prime minister just confirmed to me that they're putting drugs in the English water supply.

It's obvious this is no longer a union of equals. We want different types of society. Scottish people want a more equal society and English people don't.

I'll be interested to see how Nicola takes this forward. Personally I think she won't want to get her hands dirty so she'll jump ship.

But somebody needs to do something radical!!!
You are just quoting lots of SNP phrases as well as categorising English people as one. The fact is that Scotland voted for the conservatives as the 2nd biggest party at the last Scottish Government elections.

Where is the evidence that Scotland wants a more equal society? Where is the evidence that the SNP is even delivering it?

The SNP frequently reference the Nordic models but don't actually follow it. They are content to have a crap NHS as long as its not as crap as England's. We could gutted the layers of administrative mangers in the NHS years ago and introduced a model where clinicians move into management roles and patient care is front and centre. Instead we have stuck with the failing model where decisions are made accountants and lawyers. It was not that long ago that charging people to use the NHS was discussed by the SNP leadership.

Scotland's life expectancy has fallen further than England's so whose fault is that

Reactions: 9
Considering people in Scotland who earn over 26 k pay more tax than someone earning the same in England do I don’t think the progressive taxes are progressive at all more like they are another sign of the SNP doing their worst to punish hard working people so they can use taxes for their many vanity projects . 26 k isn’t even the average wage across the U.K. any more . There’s also only about 2.4 million tax payers in Scotland yet despite paying more taxes than the rest of the U.K. the SNP still end up overspending .
You forget to mention we also have the lowest taxes in the UK 🙄 If we have control of our own affairs gas and oil companies would have been paying windfall taxes a long time ago to name one thing that would be different.

You do realise the Scottish government can't overspend? They have to balance their budget because they have no borrowing powers. The ignorance of Scottish affairs outside Scotland is one of the reasons we want independence.

• Heart
I think Scotland should be independent as it’s the natural state for a nation to be independent and self governing. I would vote yes in a new referendum if it happened.

SNP has been disappointing to me over recent years, but not nearly as disappointing as the UK government. The other parties in Scotland are non starters as far as I’m concerned as they’re branch offices of their Westminster parties.

I would hope that if independence happened there’d be a shake up of all the political parties and I’d base voting after that on who worked best for me. I think if there was independence the other parties would have more chance to perform better with Scotland as their focus rather than instructions from London head office.

Reactions: 7
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.