Nicola Sturgeon, SNP, Scottish Politics and Scottish Independence

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
If after another referendum it's still No , will she accept it ? Or will she keep trying again
SNP have wanted independence for many years. Referendums won’t change that unless independence happens. It seems roughly half the people of Scotland want it and half don’t. The next independence campaign will not include any “once in a generation” quotes I can bet. Not that it was ever in writing anyway.

Also if we do become independent there will probably be a new party called Reunite UK or something created and they’ll campaign to rejoin.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3
SNP have wanted independence for many years. Referendums won’t change that unless independence happens. It seems roughly half the people of Scotland want it and half don’t. The next independence campaign will not include any “once in a generation quotes” I can bet. Not that it was ever in writing anyway.
I believe a political generation is 7 years anyway 😜

Reactions: 2
I honestly dont know what will happen if there is another referendum and its no. Will the SNPs popularity wane? Or will Holyrood just be SNP forever more? I just cant see Labour and Conservative supporters lending there vote to each other forever more either. If its a no these people will still want the SNP out of Holyrood?

Im sitting tight and watching closely. When the Tory spending comes to an end and the inevitable cuts start to come will the tide turn in UK politics as a whole? Or will people just accept that we now live in a police state goverened by corrupt officials.

Under SNP rule education, healthcare and social care have become worse and these are things she has control of. The deficit is way too high to join the EU as it's worse than Greece and ppl now see what a mistake that was cooking the books to let Greece join and the huge austerity imposed on them which has made ppl poorer. The financial case for an independent Scotland is very weak indeed. They should have set it in law that there was to be no more vote for 50 yrs or something in the last vote.

Reactions: 7
I'm not Scottish but I feel there should be another referendum. It should be up to the people of Scotland to decide.
But we did have a supposedly 'once in a generation' referendum and the answer was no. I doubt very much Europe is going to let Scotland join straight away, they'll want to make sure all the financial aspects of any 'divorce settlement' have been worked out first to make sure we qualify, and I suspect we won't. Much as I would love to be a proper European again, I don't see it happening for a good 10 years.

My partner and both my kids are EU citizens. Dreading travelling in the future now, I'll be the awkward one. I cant apply for a passport unless we live in the country for a while which just isnt feasible right now.

• Sad
Reactions: 1
Under SNP rule education, healthcare and social care have become worse and these are things she has control of.
Under SNP there’s 21,500 (+15%) more staff in Scotland’s NHS.
There’s record high health funding – 2021/22 health portfolio spending will exceed £16 billion, with resource funding up over £6.4 billion (70.9%).
Scotland’s core A&E services are the best performing in the UK.
For over five years, Scotland has had the highest number of GPs per head of population anywhere in the UK.
IVF has been expanded to more families – making access in Scotland the fairest and most generous in the UK.
Scotland is leading the world on alcohol pricing, being the first country to implement minimum unit pricing.
They’ve protected free tuition for nursing and midwifery students – and their bursary rose in 2020. Parking charges at all NHS-run hospitals scrapped.

That’s just the health part...

But we did have a supposedly 'once in a generation' referendum and the answer was no. I doubt very much Europe is going to let Scotland join straight away, they'll want to make sure all the financial aspects of any 'divorce settlement' have been worked out first to make sure we qualify, and I suspect we won't. Much as I would love to be a proper European again, I don't see it happening for a good 10 years.
The “Once in a Generation Opportunity” comment should be treated in the same way as Boris’ “Dead in a Ditch” comment. That’s all they both were - a comment that the MSM latched on to and ran with.

Reactions: 6
SNP supporters sadly are quite similar to trump supporters. They want simple answers and will repeat the primary school level propaganda without engaging critical thinking because it says what they want it to say. Things like the gp headcount of someone employed in a role is useless out of context as it doesn't show their capacity and account for locums and registrars. It's very easy to fool some people with misleading 🍒 picked stats, the SNP figures very quickly fall down if they're fact checked. Their a&e response times are good because that's been actively perused for headlines at the cost of other routine operations like cataracts having a longer wait time. Scotland maybe leading the world on alcohol pricing but that's because it's leading the world on alcohol abuse. That's the SNP all over telling half the story to try and spin it good as they know most of their core followers won't apply logic.

Reactions: 9
Thats every political party ever though. They all mislead the truth, spin whatever statistics to suit their own agenda.

As much as Im politically engaged, I would never trust a politician.

The system does not allow for any political party to get everything right unfortunately and when one ball is in the air another will drop.

You need to pick the side which closely alligns with the beliefs that matter to you most.

Politicians are not there to be put on a pedestal. That's one aspect of the indy movement I dont like. I dont think NS or any politician should be applauded. Theyre there to be held to account, every last one of them whether you voted for them or not.

In my old age Ive probably turned into a battle axe but in the last few years I have not stopped contacting elected officials about things that matter to me and my community. I didnt elect half the councillors we have but I contact them all.

Its no good to sit at home grumbling that nothing ever changes. We have to be the change. That means going out to vote at every opportunity and constantly lobbying for change. Unfortunately :(

SNP supporters sadly are quite similar to trump supporters. They want simple answers and will repeat the primary school level propaganda without engaging critical thinking because it says what they want it to say. Things like the gp headcount of someone employed in a role is useless out of context as it doesn't show their capacity and account for locums and registrars. It's very easy to fool some people with misleading 🍒 picked stats, the SNP figures very quickly fall down if they're fact checked. Their a&e response times are good because that's been actively perused for headlines at the cost of other routine operations like cataracts having a longer wait time. Scotland maybe leading the world on alcohol pricing but that's because it's leading the world on alcohol abuse. That's the SNP all over telling half the story to try and spin it good as they know most of their core followers won't apply logic.
I can assure you I am nothing like Trump supporters! It’s very easy to fool people with MSM and Unionist propaganda.

• Heart
Reactions: 9
I’m new to this threadl I confess I haven’t read it all.

The SNP said the referendum would be a once in a life time vote, this was said many times by Salmond and by Sturgeon. It’s also in their own white paper about independence.

Had they got a yes vote, we would not have been allowed to have another one. But democracy isn’t the Snp’s strong point.

Reactions: 4
How rude!

I have voted SNP because the other Scottish parties are an embarrassment. I will vote no on Independence.

I assure you I understand facts and figures, and really don't need you telling me I don't. Tell me who did you vote for in the Scottish Elections? Were you even eligible?

• Heart
At the moment my English tax is paying Scotland for free University fee's and healthcare prescriptions.
Your "English tax" is paying for nothing of the sort. Also, fix your crimes against apostrophes.

Our tax is paying for free prescriptions and free university
University up here isn't even completely free. It's only the fees that are free (up to a point) and anyone wanting to studying beyond an undergraduate degree is going to have wheens of debt, unless they can get a scholarship or sponsorship.

Reactions: 5
How rude!

I have voted SNP because the other Scottish parties are an embarrassment. I will vote no on Independence.
Agreed. Its also a dangerous road to go down and assume that all SNP voters are brainless morons.

Ive said in the past that I wouldnt publically state I voted SNP because people tend to lump you in to the saltire painted face, Braveheart warriors.

There are thousands like me.

While there is what resembles a dictatorship at Westminster I will continue to vote SNP. Requiring ID to vote despite levels of voter fraud being so small its almost negligible. Looking to secure open ended parliaments. HELLO?!?

The Republicans in America are running tit scared. The only way they can win is to suppress the vote and thats what the Conservatives are trying to do now to secure their future. True democracy is making it easy to vote for EVERYONE regardless of who they may vote for.

If you truly believe in what you stand for, make it easy for everyone to vote cause youl be voted for wont you.

• Heart
Reactions: 5
I’m new to this threadl I confess I haven’t read it all.

The SNP said the referendum would be a once in a life time vote, this was said many times by Salmond and by Sturgeon. It’s also in their own white paper about independence.

Had they got a yes vote, we would not have been allowed to have another one. But democracy isn’t the Snp’s strong point.
It did not say "once in generation" anywhere on the legal agreement so we can file this argument in the bin. Boris said he'd be dead in a ditch, are you going to kill him?

It did not say "once in generation" anywhere on the legal agreement so we can file this argument in the bin. Boris said he'd be dead in a ditch, are you going to kill him?
So the white paper means nothing? Funny, it doesn’t mean nothing when it’s promising rainbows and unicorns of Independence. Can’t have it both ways. The SNP leader at the time, said it also And is on record of saying so.

Boris Johnson has nothing to do with this. Why in every debate about Scottish independence does Boris get brought into it? It’s tiresome. His ditch comment is completely irrelevant, we are discussing Scotland and a remark made by the SNP leader at the time and the fact that it clearly states in the link I’ve mentioned once in a generation.

As I’ve said previously, a political generation is defined as 7 years.

Also, several fact checks have been done on the comment made and it’s basically summed up as this...

“It is abundantly clear from the context of this statement (and with others like it) that Salmond is not agreeing to some alleged, one-off constitutional device – to be used once then locked away in a cupboard for 40 years. Rather he is encouraging the Scottish electorate to seize a particular opportunity (“a rare and precious moment in the history of Scotland”) to oppose austerity and make a fairer Scotland.

Nothing in this statement suggests Salmond is agreeing to close down opportunities in the future to oppose austerity or Brexit, if necessary, and no reasonable person could read that into the quote.”

Also, Boris is brought into the debate as he, and his party, is everything that is wrong with the status quo.

So the white paper means nothing? Funny, it doesn’t mean nothing when it’s promising rainbows and unicorns of Independence. Can’t have it both ways. The SNP leader at the time, said it also And is on record of saying so.

Boris Johnson has nothing to do with this. Why in every debate about Scottish independence does Boris get brought into it? It’s tiresome. His ditch comment is completely irrelevant, we are discussing Scotland and a remark made by the SNP leader at the time and the fact that it clearly states in the link I’ve mentioned once in a generation.
You are arguing that we take politicians at their word so I was questioning if it was just politicians you don't like that have to live by their word.

Now find me anywhere that said it was once in a generation on the legal paperwork and I will concede...

Reactions: 1
As I’ve said previously, a political generation is defined as 7 years.

Also, several fact checks have been done on the comment made and it’s basically summed up as this...

“It is abundantly clear from the context of this statement (and with others like it) that Salmond is not agreeing to some alleged, one-off constitutional device – to be used once then locked away in a cupboard for 40 years. Rather he is encouraging the Scottish electorate to seize a particular opportunity (“a rare and precious moment in the history of Scotland”) to oppose austerity and make a fairer Scotland.

Nothing in this statement suggests Salmond is agreeing to close down opportunities in the future to oppose austerity or Brexit, if necessary, and no reasonable person could read that into the quote.”

Also, Boris is brought into the debate as he, and his party, is everything that is wrong with the status quo.
Yes my understanding of it is that a referendum can happen once every 7 years if it can be adequately justified. It's something that is discussed a lot in Ireland, talk of a reunification referendum has gathered speed recently. My thinking is that their recent success in the election and the fact that Scotland (along with NI) has left the EU against it's will since the last referendum gives the SNP a mandate for another referendum.
At the end of the day if WM are so confident that the Scottish people want to remain in the union then there's nothing to be feared from a second referendum? 🤭

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.