Nicola Sturgeon, SNP, Scottish Politics and Scottish Independence

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I wish Scotland would just f*ck-off. And I love the Scots. But I'm tired of this Independence cr@p. Just go. Unless the EU change their entry rules (which they probably will just to p1ss-off us English) it takes 10 years to apply to be a member state of the EU and all members have to vote for it. Spain will never vote, because it'll mean the Basque's will leave Spain. It's a joke. Plus Scotland will need their own currency. LOL. At the moment my English tax is paying Scotland for free University fee's and healthcare prescriptions.
Sigh.

As a Scot all I hear is how poor England/English feel unwelcome in Scotland by the bad SNP supporters. Sadly, there is anti English sentiments but there is also a huge anti Scottish view that comes from many in England. Your post amplifies this. Saying “I love the Scots” but telling us to duck off and calling us scroungers doesn’t wash. It’s on par with “i am not racist BUT” 🙄

Ah, the good old “my English tax” argument. Christ! Who do I phone about the HIGHER THAN ENGLAND rate of tax I pay each month?! Can I get this back? If I’m a pariah within a scrounger nation who is taking this money? What does it pay for? 😂 🤷🏻‍♀️

A lot of our country would love to “just go” but anytime we near that horizon, somehow, all the leading Unionist parties up sticks, fly to Scotland with their begging, pleading and broken “Vow” promises. Sadly people fell for it in 2014.

Ask yourself one fundamental question: if Scotland really is such a burden, such a taker, such a drain on finances. Then why, oh why, are all main WM parties terrified of Scottish separation?

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 28
Sigh.

As a Scot all I hear is how poor England/English feel unwelcome in Scotland by the bad SNP supporters. Sadly, there is anti English sentiments but there is also a huge anti Scottish view that comes from many in England. Your post amplifies this. Saying “I love the Scots” but telling us to duck off and calling us scroungers doesn’t wash. It’s on par with “i am not racist BUT” 🙄

Ah, the good old “my English tax” argument. Christ! Who do I phone about the HIGHER THAN ENGLAND rate of tax I pay each month?! Can I get this back? If I’m a pariah within a scrounger nation who is taking this money? What does it pay for? 😂 🤷🏻‍♀️

A lot of our country would love to “just go” but anytime we near that horizon, somehow, all the leading Unionist parties up sticks, fly to Scotland with their begging, pleading and broken “Vow” promises. Sadly people fell for it in 2014.

Ask yourself one fundamental question: if Scotland really is such a burden, such a taker, such a drain on finances. Then why, oh why, are all main WM parties terrified of Scottish separation?
Agreed on the tax front. If we were independent as a higher tax paying family we would happily pay more tax. Lower earners should benefit from tax cuts.

Im not happy to pay it for the Government to continually give contracts to there pals qnd squander millions on boats and failed track and trace systems.

My local authority are the most corrupt bunch of useless fuckers. Id go as far to say the most corrupt council in Scotland. Our CT is eye watering, it keeps going up and up and up and services are dwindling and backhanders being paid left right and centre.

If they could actually come out and say we need to raise it for x y and z Id say ok fair enough but they dont they raise and cut cut cut.

Probably not hard to tell who my LA are.

Reactions: 5
Absolutely agree: I am happy to pay higher tax and would be happy to pay more tax in. Provided it was going to the projects, services and infrastructure that benefits the people of our country. I refuse to pay more tax to pay more for Trident for example.

Council tax freezing is a red herring. If they need to increase council tax for, roads or social care for example, be upfront about it. I have to interact with LAs as part of my job (I don’t work for one) and the inefficiencies and game playing is staggering. A complete drain.

Reactions: 3
I wish Scotland would just f*ck-off. And I love the Scots. But I'm tired of this Independence cr@p. Just go. Unless the EU change their entry rules (which they probably will just to p1ss-off us English) it takes 10 years to apply to be a member state of the EU and all members have to vote for it. Spain will never vote, because it'll mean the Basque's will leave Spain. It's a joke. Plus Scotland will need their own currency. LOL. At the moment my English tax is paying Scotland for free University fee's and healthcare prescriptions.
I mean, my tax is paying for people to go to university and not have to worry about the cost of that or prescriptions too, but maybe you should be asking your own government in WM why your tax isn’t paying for those things in England, rather than ppe contracts for their mates?

Reactions: 11
If a court decides against it then the people wi have to accept that.
I doubt this.The UK is a voluntary union. Compare this to the EU, the EU did not love bomb, threaten or enact legal action to try and stop the UK (England &Wales) from deciding to leave their union. It would be an affront to democracy to deny a referendum. The European Union leaders also did not bombard the media with factually incorrect information, are we seriously meant to believe that unionist MP's and MSP's are ignorant to the way voting works in Holyrood, given all the talk about "knife edge" majority "failing to get a majority" "struggling with list seats".... :rolleyes:

What's sad is people actually upvoted this post.
"I'm not xenophobic, but...."

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 10
I doubt this.The UK is a voluntary union. Compare this to the EU, the EU did not love bomb, threaten or enact legal action to try and stop the UK (England &Wales) from deciding to leave their union. It would be an affront to democracy to deny a referendum. The European Union leaders also did not bombard the media with factually incorrect information, are we seriously meant to believe that unionist MP's and MSP's are ignorant to the way voting works in Holyrood, given all the talk about "knife edge" majority "failing to get a majority" "struggling with list seats".... :rolleyes:

What's sad is people actually upvoted this post.
"I'm not xenophobic, but...."
I would agree with you. The media and unionists have painted this as a loss for the SNP / nationalists but I dont think that is the case. The majority of the general public will not understand the way the voting works here.

Ive said all along I would not consider myself a nationalist or a unionist. Im very much split about it all and not even sure how I would vote if there was a referendum tomorrow.

However if there is a referendum and its a no what happens then? Will the unionists forever vote tactically to try to keep as many seats as they can out of SNP hands.

The only way to rid Scotland of the SNPs imo is Independence if not we'l just be stuck in this limbo forever more or until there is a political turn but I cant see it right now.

Edit - the Lib Dems took a loss, so now only have 4 seats which isnt enough to be considered a proper party at HR. All in the name of unity? Is it worth that? Willie Rennie is a grade A plonker.

Reactions: 5
What makes you say that?

The pro independence parties got just less than 50% of the votes. It to me seems like it's not moved at all and is still about 50/50.
I suppose because the pro-independence parties, the SNP & the Scottish Green Party, have a majority in the Scottish Parliament, 72 out of 129 MSPs. So that's what people voted for on Thursday. Like I say not me, I have a lifelong attachment to the Labour Party, even now.
I thought the 55/45 referendum result was clear enough. Presumably if the outcome was reversed it would be carved in stone and acted on immediately.

I suppose because the pro-independence parties, the SNP & the Scottish Green Party, have a majority in the Scottish Parliament, 72 out of 129 MSPs. So that's what people voted for on Thursday. Like I say not me, I have a lifelong attachment to the Labour Party, even now.
I thought the 55/45 referendum result was clear enough. Presumably if the outcome was reversed it would be carved in stone and acted on immediately.
I don't know, I reckon if there's another one and the outcome is reversed then it's 1-1 and we need a decider. Or extra time and a penalty shoot-out :)

Seriously, as an English person married to a Scot living in the Highlands, the run-up to the last referendum wasn't fun. A lot of people round here talking angrily about white settlers and wall jumpers and then realising I was there and going, 'Oh, but we don't mean you.' Yes you did.

Reactions: 1
Ah @Falkor that's not great. Loving the penalty shoot-out idea though!

I was a No voter last time round, unlike many if my friends and family and it's fair to say they took the result badly ...
The Highlands in particular had some nasty election fights, during which the SNP supporters behaved very badly. I still mourn Charles Kennedy, an immense political talent and a huge loss.

Yes, I saw a lot of huge family fallouts amongst friends and neighbours up here, some of which are still rumbling on seven years later :( I agree with you about Charles Kennedy, he was a great loss to Scottish politics. I'm also sad John Thurso decided to go back to the Lords rather than standing as an MP again, he was an excellent representative for my area and it was always nice to see him pottering around Tesco and being happy to chat to people.

Reactions: 2
Charles Kennedy was the last actual Liberal Democrat, the last one with any principals but nearing the end he was a useless constituency MP. Missed votes. Didn't respond to emails etc.

I am Highland incomer from another part of Scotland. They can be strange to even me which is weird considering a large portion of the population here are incomers!

Reactions: 1
Sigh.

Exactly. As an English person living in Scotland I have NEVER had any abuse. Ever.

However every time I speak to relatives down South I hear so much anti Scottish abuse. Its just embrassing to be honest, they don't understand the finances so I've given up trying to correct them.

And how a nation that votes the tories in virtually every bleeping election can have the nerve to criticise our politicians......

• Heart
Reactions: 8
How to push people more toward a yes vote .
You attitude is the epitome of Westminster rule.

• Heart
Reactions: 14
Exactly. As an English person living in Scotland I have NEVER had any abuse. Ever.

However every time I speak to relatives down South I hear so much anti Scottish abuse. Its just embrassing to be honest, they don't understand the finances so I've given up trying to correct them.

And how a nation that votes the tories in virtually every bleeping election can have the nerve to criticise our politicians......
Exactly. My mother was English and I remember her writing to Rifkind to accuse him of being a quisling over the broken promises to Rosyth Dockyard, and saying that the English morality that she was raised with (she was born in 1920) no longer existed, certainly not after Thatcher. She also drummed into me the importance of voting - "women died for the vote".

And let's not forget that there is a campaigning group called English Scots for Yes (along with Polish Scots, Asian Scots, etc) comprised of English people living in and committed to Scotland, and who see the anti-Scots bias of Westminster.

It's probably time to zap poor Alec Alex from the title 😆

Moved to celebs to go along with BJ and sir Keir

• Haha
The remaining 51% aren’t all pro-union.
True but the vast vast majority are, but Nicola told people that don't support independence to still vote for the snp. So the 47% aren't all pro independence either.

Nick Ferrari was good with a balanced range of views today, Nicola refuses to answer his request for an interview and has done for years now. 😶

I'm not Scottish but I feel there should be another referendum. It should be up to the people of Scotland to decide.

Reactions: 7
True but the vast vast majority are, but Nicola told people that don't support independence to still vote for the snp. So the 47% aren't all pro independence either.

Nick Ferrari was good with a balanced range of views today, Nicola refuses to answer his request for an interview and has done for years now. 😶
There’s also people voting for Labour who DO want independence too though and just won’t vote SNP so the same can be said for the other way about.

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.