NHS IVF - how long have you waited once referred?

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Hello,
I know the systems and rules are different in each area but I’d appreciate a rough idea.

I’ve just been referred by the hospital for IVF on the NHS. I believe we meet the criteria but still nervous that they’ll turn us down.

I was wondering time scales... anyone got recent experience of ivf on the nhs and could tell me how long they waited once referred. My GP was useful at giving us even a rough idea

Hi, We got referred October 2018 to the Hewitt fertility centre in Liverpool. They then applied for funding to our local care commissioner and we had our first consultation in June 2019. We started treatment in August after various screening tests. We both had to be non smokers and my BMI has to be below 29 (if I remember correctly) Good luck!

• Heart
Reactions: 1
I’ve had a few friends who have been through ivf at Newcastle and Gateshead. None of them had any waiting time at all. I think we’re lucky we have to two centres within a few miles of each other.

I really think it depends on area. I’m in Leeds but was having PGD IVF which is where the embryos are tested prior to implantation. Because of this I had to go between the Leeds centre and Guys in London. Even with the additional time it takes with PGD and the fact I had to go to London for various appointments, I was pregnant 11 months after my very first appointment.

I paid for the first 5 cycles of IVF - I had to have immune therapy with the last two of that five cycles. I had to pay because according to the criteria in my area I was too young. The last cycle (cycle 6) was NHS funded because by that time I had aged enough for them!! There was no wait at all. If you are not already please consider joining Fertility Friends forum. It was so useful for me and there are so many women who will be able to give you advice on current waiting times etc. Good luck!

• Heart
I paid for the first 5 cycles of IVF - I had to have immune therapy with the last two of that five cycles. I had to pay because according to the criteria in my area I was too young. The last cycle (cycle 6) was NHS funded because by that time I had aged enough for them!! There was no wait at all. If you are not already please consider joining Fertility Friends forum. It was so useful for me and there are so many women who will be able to give you advice on current waiting times etc. Good luck!
We may have to down the ivf route and I didn’t even know there was an age criteria?! Or does this also depend on district?

We may have to down the ivf route and I didn’t even know there was an age criteria?! Or does this also depend on district?
Everything depends on the particular rules of the particular primary care trust - ie the postcode lottery!

Reactions: 2

I’m in Dudley in the West Midlands and it’s max is 39. Wolverhampton which is right next door is 37...

Also BMI is taken into account and if you or your partner already have children

I really think it depends on area. I’m in Leeds but was having PGD IVF which is where the embryos are tested prior to implantation. Because of this I had to go between the Leeds centre and Guys in London. Even with the additional time it takes with PGD and the fact I had to go to London for various appointments, I was pregnant 11 months after my very first appointment.
same as no sleep.
I had pgd ivf at guys even though I lived in Liverpool - from drs referral to starting treatment was a year but pgd takes longer as they need to build the probe. As long as you meet the criteria they’ll accept you.

I visited my GP in June 2017, had an appointment with gynaecology in October 2017 a d was referred straight across to the IVF unit that day (same hospital), we started our first round in January 2018. We were lucky I guess to be rushed through quickly due to my age and funding as I was soon to be at the cut off age x

On this I have a friend whose about to do IVF. Her partner has kids with his ex. They’ve lied and said he doesn’t but haven’t been through the funding YET. Will she get away with it? Genuinely not me BTW

On this I have a friend whose about to do IVF. Her partner has kids with his ex. They’ve lied and said he doesn’t but haven’t been through the funding YET. Will she get away with it? Genuinely not me BTW
I don’t know if or how they could find out. It does however leave a bad taste in my mouth. So, so many of us are in need of fertility treatment in this country and it is so underfunded across the UK that many of us are having to fund it ourselves (£50,000 I paid give or take) because of one criteria or another. So, what makes your friend any different?! That’s not to say I think she should be refused treatment just that I think she should have to abide by the rules like the rest of us have to!

Reactions: 5