Newborn baby gifts

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
The best thing that me and mum husband were given after our first was an M&S dine in for £xxx meal! Gifts like that are far more thoughtful and appreciated.

Reactions: 5
When our neighbours had a baby earlier this year we bought her a premium bond ,I knew she would get lots of clothes, toys etc and thought it would be something different

Reactions: 2
I have 6 kids and if anyone had rocked up with an offer to babysit or even just make me a cuppa I would have married them

there are some lovely bits from notonthehighstreet
I bought my partner ‘what was happening the day you where born’ book-they also do framed pictures of the same theme

if you want clothes buy bigger sizes-I had so many newborn clothes-and had to dash to the shops by month 2 as they had nothing

I bought my nephew baby sleeping bags-he seemed to like them at the time-the parents didn’t but we’re nc now

maybe a few treats for mum from baby burts bees?i adore their stuff

maybe make a gift box of baby basics like nappies,wipes,baby bath,Shampoo and a bottle of something for mum?

Reactions: 1
Clothes I would avoid buying for other peoples babies unless you are really close and know their taste very well. Although the clothes I got for my son were appreciated, he didnt get to wear many as they wasnt to my tastes and in the newborn stage especially I liked putting them in the clothes I'd spent ages choosing and fawning over when I was pregnant.

It is best off asking what they have bought already or what they need to that value as that might curb doubles - I was bought 2 baby bouncers and was given one, I had already bought one and had to accept them all to save anyone awkwardness 🤷‍♀️

Toys are great. I would go for wooden or a walker (an expence that suddenly creeps up on a new parent) and avoid soft toys full stop - there was just so many for us. They take up space and very few if any are eventually played with.

Avoid blankets too, like clothes I think they are personal choice and avoid any gadget/niche type things... honestly it's just tat.

Reactions: 4
No blankets. Oh i have sooo many blankets! I have just had a baby and the things I have used the most/ realised I needed after he came are quite random. Baby sleeping bags, muslins, nose frida and saline spray, cradle cap brushes (little silicone brushes), white noise machine, room thermometer, a little whale water jug/ pourer for the bath, coconut oil, a peri bottle for me, a rechargeable fan for the baby, black and white crinkle books. We asked for books which has been lovely. Hope this helps?

This🙌🏻🙌🏻🙌🏻🙌🏻 Everyone seemed to forget that I pushed a 12lb baby out of my stretched vagina 😂
😂😂🙌🏻🙌🏻🙌🏻🙌🏻! My son was 9lb 8oz and I thought that was horrific 🤣your poor hooha 😫😫😫

Hi everyone,
I’ve searched the web but wondered if you guys had good suggestions for gifts for a newborn baby boy or if you’re a parent, things you found useful?
Less than £50 ideally please!
After I had my son my friend came round and brought me a McDonald’s, lots of nappies, baby grows and etc! All the necessities. I already had them but you can’t beat having more essential stuff like that xx

Honestly things that are handy, the time your baby needs something else is upon you quicker than you imagine. You get tons of outfits in 0-3 & a lot of 3-6, 6 months + is good as they'll probably have nothing in that size. Keep in mind the season it will be when the baby reaches that size. Get great savings on childrensalon outlet if it's a fancy outfit. Footmuff for an infant carrier is good.

Vests (in a bigger size is handy, they're selling out everywhere) one sec they fit, the next they don't. Mittens, nappies, bibs, a teether, nappy caddy, sleep bag, cellular blanket, socks, hooded towels, baby wipes (water wipe version is a safe bet), aveeno baby is good.
The less fancy things are the things we can't live without & you're so grateful to not have to source them when you need them.

Reactions: 2
I definately preferred the non fancy stuff as above.

Blankets I got so many as it seems to be the go-to gift for a baby and I feel awful regifting them to somebody else, a few are handmade others personalised too with a non generic name and I feel guilty knowing some wont get use at all.

Little things that I bought as my son got a wee bit older which I didnt expect to go and buy that got so much use were teething mittens, baby nest/play ring, my SIL bought a sit me up for him (I have the Fisher Price giraffe but it's a pain in the arse to keep clean and would have preferred the Bumbo as I had that with my older lad and it was a god send, they are around 50 quid brand new, so are the Mamas and Papas ones that come with the tray, I believe you still have to buy the tray separately with the Bumbo)

Honestly things that are handy, the time your baby needs something else is upon you quicker than you imagine. You get tons of outfits in 0-3 & a lot of 3-6, 6 months + is good as they'll probably have nothing in that size. Keep in mind the season it will be when the baby reaches that size. Get great savings on childrensalon outlet if it's a fancy outfit. Footmuff for an infant carrier is good.

Vests (in a bigger size is handy, they're selling out everywhere) one sec they fit, the next they don't. Mittens, nappies, bibs, a teether, nappy caddy, sleep bag, cellular blanket, socks, hooded towels, baby wipes (water wipe version is a safe bet), aveeno baby is good.
The less fancy things are the things we can't live without & you're so grateful to not have to source them when you need them.
Definitely think about the seasons if you’re going to buy clothes in a bigger size. We had some lovely (and some expensive) knitwear given to us in 6-9 months... which my son was during the summer months!

I like to make up baby baskets for friends when they have babies with things they may not think about or have. I kind of wanted it to be their go-to basket of things they may not have when it’s 2am and Baby won’t settle.

I’ve filled it with baby calpol, Saline nose spray, snufflebabe, teething granules, hair washing jug, a dummy, cream spatula 😅 Plus things for mum, snacky foods for night feeds, creams, small bottle of wine and small bottle of beer.

I’m sure I’ve added more things but can’t think off the top of my head!

Reactions: 3
I’ve just bought myself a feeding necklace which the baby plays with when he has a bottle and it’s brill as it stops him tugging my hair or my other necklace. Wish I’d have had it to start with! Oh and muslins. Lots and lots of muslins, you can never have too many!

Wine. Just wine. The baby more than likely doesn’t need anything. The mum needs a lot more loving.

• Haha
Reactions: 3
Something that can be kept is always nice I think. I’ve often bought people white leather booties that come in a box. Baby can wear them and then it’s a keepsake when they grow out of them. Hermes ones are beautiful but if you want to stick to your budget Tartine et Chocolat do gender specific ones and are on sale now on childrenssalon.com

Hi guys, I thought there might be a thread for this somewhere 😅
So a friend has a 7 month old baby girl, and I’m going to meet her for the first time soon (COVID safe obvs), and I want to get her and mum a gift, but what do you recommend? I know nothing about babies, but I think I’m probably right in thinking she probably already has more than enough clothes and toys…so what can I give a baby that already has everything?
Also what do new mums like as a gift?

• Heart
I usually give any of my friends who have had a baby, some goodies, a drink and a one for all voucher (it can be used for dozens for shops)

Last friend who had a baby got a bottle of gin and a hundred euro one for all voucher, as she already had everything she already needed. She also was happy because she could get herself something to wear as none of her old clothes or her maternity clothes fit her anymore

I don’t like buying clothes for babies because babies grow so quickly it’s kind of a waste, as they seem to grow out of stuff within an hour haha.

Not a suggestion, just a thank you for all the ideas on this thread. My friend is currently 10 weeks and I definitely love the idea of being able to spoil her. Hampers seem a great way to go on both account (for mum and for the baby).

So a friend has a 7 month old baby girl, and I’m going to meet her for the first time soon (COVID safe obvs), and I want to get her and mum a gift, but what do you recommend? I know nothing about babies, but I think I’m probably right in thinking she probably already has more than enough clothes and toys…so what can I give a baby that already has everything?
Anything teething related would be great at that age, you can get some lovely gifts, like teething necklaces?

One of the best gifts I got for baby was a sensory box… they’re filled with Pom poms, crinkly fabric, rattles etc great for developing babies hand eye coordination and exposing to different feel fabric etc. It’s not something I would of bought for myself and different to usual baby gift of teddy/baby grow which is so hard to pick right unless you know the persons taste 100% and especially clothes I wanted to dress baby in clothes I’d bought when was pregnant ☺
I got sensory box off Etsy for a gift they do ones for all ages!

One of the best gifts I got for baby was a sensory box… they’re filled with Pom poms, crinkly fabric, rattles etc great for developing babies hand eye coordination and exposing to different feel fabric etc. It’s not something I would of bought for myself and different to usual baby gift of teddy/baby grow which is so hard to pick right unless you know the persons taste 100% and especially clothes I wanted to dress baby in clothes I’d bought when was pregnant ☺
I got sensory box off Etsy for a gift!
Also new mums- one of the best gifts I got was brownies in the post! (No flowers please already trying to keep one tiny person alive didn’t need additional responsibility ha) best ones are from Gower Cottage- honestly life changing
Any sweet treats really. Was so appreciated to have a nice snack while having a cuppa!
Edit to add- just seen you’re visiting in person, I’d still take some sort of baked goods and if she’s into skincare some nice face masks or skincare set for when she’s relaxing when baby is in bed?