Newborn baby gifts

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Hi everyone,
I’ve searched the web but wondered if you guys had good suggestions for gifts for a newborn baby boy or if you’re a parent, things you found useful?
Less than £50 ideally please!

Being honest the best thing I was given was a friend who came to see me, made me a cuppa, cooked a meal and offered to wash up! It was a relief not to play host and to get time with my baby.
I had been given loads of sleepsuits, vests, cloths, teddies, nappies and wipes and quite a bit wasn't used or regifted 😬. I wasn't ungrateful for any of it but with 2 hampers from work, an overbearing MIL, family and friends it was overwhelming.

Everyone is different though and some may need the gift of clothing, baby basics, nursery items.

I now gift card newborns or ask directly if there's anything they need. Visit with tea/coffee and a cake and let them relax.

• Heart
Reactions: 6
Hi everyone,
I’ve searched the web but wondered if you guys had good suggestions for gifts for a newborn baby boy or if you’re a parent, things you found useful?
Less than £50 ideally please!
Sleep! I had my first in December and the best Christmas present me and my partner got was 3 hours sleep 😂. If you are wanting to buy something I found it useful when people bought her clothes in 3-6 months or books

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 3
I have just bought a personalised lounge set from Etsy. It is gorgeous. The packaging was nice too! It arrived in 3 days. X
My friend got me a Costa voucher for my baby shower. We are in lockdown at the moment obviously but before this, the voucher was spent within a few days of me being out and about! You meet for a lot of coffees!

Reactions: 2
A snooze shade! I had a son born in July last year and it was invaluable to pop over the pram. You can get them from Amazon and I now buy then for all my friends who are expecting.

I was also given some baby books - in black/white with little pictures and they were lovely to prop in front of my son while he had his nappy changed. Or any kind of picture book as it's never too early to start reading to your baby! I would get hardback though as between 9-12 months they go through a ripping phase. Spot is popular in our house, and the "That's not my..." Books.

I also second vests in bigger sizes as they are worn all season round - M&S have got some lovely white ones with days of the week printed on them which are perfect under any kind of outfit.

My son was also given a "rainmaker" toy from the ELC which fascinated him as a baby and now he likes to chuck it around

• Heart
Reactions: 4
Turn up with some food for them. My bestie came round after both my kids with Fish and Chips and ice cold cans of coke. As a gift I'd say a voucher for Jojomamanbebe

• Heart
Reactions: 7
Like someone else said, I always try to pick up bigger sized baby clothes, you’re overloaded with smaller sizes (I quite often have a snoop in the sales aswell)
For one of my friends I got her like baby bath toys, a couple of cute books and a gift card for one of her favourite shops, just try to think around the usual

Reactions: 1
Agree with the gift card! Had friends who have been gifted more newborn clothes than they know what to do with!

I’d also gift for mum/dad is there anywhere local that is doing afternoon tea delivery or similar? That would be a lovely treat!

I got a lovely tree from on the high street to plant for my little ones arrival, nice photos of her standing beside it and watch them both grow over the years. Think it was around 50 pound from not on the high street.

• Heart
I always get my friends a spa treatment, a hamper or a beauty gift voucher. The babies get enough 😂

• Heart
Not clothes! If you’re going to get anything get a voucher because the parents might have really different taste to you - so many people bought my son stuff that I didn’t put him in because I didn’t like it 🙈

And I would second I would have much rather had support - letting me go for a bath or coming to walk the dog or bringing me food than any gift at all.

Reactions: 3
I would go round and offer to help but in the U.K. you can’t go round to other people’s homes yet (minus if you’re in a bubble)
Thank you all for your suggestions!
I’ll have a look at them all x

Hey. If you have close trusting relationships with your child's parents, then of course it is better to ask directly what to give.
This will facilitate the task and you and the gift will not be unnecessary.
Well, in general there are things that are always useful. For example, sweaters or bodysuits.
I am very pleased with the quality of the purchase sleeveless bodysuit

We got a set of 6 plastic rattles/toys, I googled it cause it's one of the best things we got. It's called funtime nursery gift set

Take a little something for the mother like some nice cakes or mini pamper package like face mask, pillow spray, etc

For the baby a nice blanket, some muslin clothes, clothes in bigger sizes like 3 months plus

I think ordinarily things like the Costa vouchers/spa vouchers/beauty treatments etc are a good idea for most people but for some people they are not, if they’ve had a bad birth or developed pnd they may not really want to go out and do stuff like that, they may not have a babysitter for things like a spa day, I actually got a spa day voucher and it was the worst gift I could have got, had to be used within 6 months of baby’s birth, didn’t have a single babysitter my self employed partner had to take a day off and lose a days pay, I was exclusively breastfeeding so had to express a load of milk and leave it for a baby who refused to take a bottle, by the end of the day I had bad breast engorgement and pain for three days after, spent the whole time worrying about being away from the baby, I only went cos I didn’t want the people who chipped in and gave me it to have wasted their money but it was more hassle then it was worth