New job when pregnant?

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I’m currently pregnant with my first baby (early stages, in the first trimester). I applied for an internal secondment role recently in a different area. It’s an area I’ve always been interested in, but the main reason I applied was because my current role was at risk of being made redundant.

Fast forward a few weeks and I’m now into the recruitment process but have also been told my current job is safe. I’m now doubting whether a new role is a good idea when pregnant, so wondered if anyone else has any advice or has been through a similar situation?

The pros of the new job are that it’s an area I’ve studied in and I am genuinely interested in it. The “cons” are that it will be full on - back to back meetings, a high caseload, a lot more work than what I do now. Usually I’d be excited about a new challenge but I’m worried I might be taking on too much with being pregnant.

I think if you have any doubts then perhaps now isn’t the right time. They’ll be other times when you have less on your plate 😊

Reactions: 5
I think if you have any doubts then perhaps now isn’t the right time. They’ll be other times when you have less on your plate 😊
Thanks, my only worry is missing the boat with it but hopefully there’ll be other opportunities in the future!

Reactions: 1
I would do it.

I took on a new role (promotion) just after I fell pregnant (also a secondment). It was tough, but it was a step up career wise and it was something id been working towards for years. Im now in a better position due to having that role.

I'd do it too. In fact, it falls nicely if anything to just before you take mat leave. I don't believe you'll be 'less busy' in the near future with a baby in tow!

Reactions: 2
I would do it.

I took on a new role (promotion) just after I fell pregnant (also a secondment). It was tough, but it was a step up career wise and it was something id been working towards for years. Im now in a better position due to having that role.
Was it an increase in your workload? That’s good to hear it was a positive move for you though - future job security is on my mind too.

I'd do it too. In fact, it falls nicely if anything to just before you take mat leave. I don't believe you'll be 'less busy' in the near future with a baby in tow!
Yeah that’s true!

Was it an increase in your workload? That’s good to hear it was a positive move for you though - future job security is on my mind too.

Yeah that’s true!
Major increase! I went from an assistant to a manager basically. It was tough but absolutely worth it!

Do it!
You‘ll always think what if, in the future if you don’t - challenges aren’t easy, but long term it’ll really help you going forward :)

I’m currently pregnant with my first baby (early stages, in the first trimester). I applied for an internal secondment role recently in a different area. It’s an area I’ve always been interested in, but the main reason I applied was because my current role was at risk of being made redundant.

Fast forward a few weeks and I’m now into the recruitment process but have also been told my current job is safe. I’m now doubting whether a new role is a good idea when pregnant, so wondered if anyone else has any advice or has been through a similar situation?

The pros of the new job are that it’s an area I’ve studied in and I am genuinely interested in it. The “cons” are that it will be full on - back to back meetings, a high caseload, a lot more work than what I do now. Usually I’d be excited about a new challenge but I’m worried I might be taking on too much with being pregnant.
I would say go with your gut but I also wanted to say quite how quickly the time goes. I was 8 weeks when I finished the term for Christmas (I'm a teacher) and currently now 19 weeks and feels like the time has whizzed by. I've suffered quite a lot with tiredness and have been fine continuing to work as normal but I also feel that I have a lot of experience on my side in the job I do now that makes me be able to work efficiently (ie. I know which jobs I need to prioritise and which ones can be left or delegated.) I can already feel like I'm ready to slow down with the extra responsibilities I take on and just enjoy leisurely time away from work, getting ready and prepared for the baby and not worrying about work too much. I don't think you should not apply because you're pregnant but I do wonder if you'd find yourself enjoying both pregnancy and work more if you're comfortable and know where you are at. New roles can be overwhelming at the best of times. Good luck with whatever you choose x

Reactions: 2