New baby and post birth advice #43 no title needed, no suggestions made

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I usually go for bath stuff ( towel, washcloth, baby body wash and shampoo and bath books/toys) or a bamboo/silicone eating set ( bowl, cup, plate, cutlery, a bib) for new babies. Maybe some board books the baby doesn’t have yet? Hema do a great range of affordable wooden toys for babies/toddlers, or the Little Dutch range is perfect too!
From my experience, of having kids...

I maybe wouldn't include body wash/shampoo ect as people tend to stick to what they know and know what they like so it probably won't end up getting used

Reactions: 10
From my experience, of having kids...

I maybe wouldn't include body wash/shampoo ect as people tend to stick to what they know and know what they like so it probably won't end up getting used
Agree with this, we got gifted lots of baby bath stuff but my husband has bad eczema so we only use Child’s farm as it’s kind on his skin when he gives her a bath and obviously it’s really gentle on buba too.

I do love getting bath toys though 😂

• Haha
Reactions: 4
@fairylights2000 hope you recover soon, take it easy though! 💕 I’m having a c section and have asked for dissolvable stitches where possible as I have zero pain threshold - I’m ignorant to what removal of staples / stitches entails - what do they do to remove them?
Spoilered for anyone with a delicate constitution
I couldn't see the process 😬 but it felt like they snip the staples in half and then cajole the halves out. It hurt a bit during and after so I've been snoozing and having pain today.
Also I realised today that I was in hospital for 10 days in total which probably explains why I feel so wobbly, in my head it was only a few days! Still a lot to process I think

• Heart
Reactions: 2
Spoilered for anyone with a delicate constitution
I couldn't see the process 😬 but it felt like they snip the staples in half and then cajole the halves out. It hurt a bit during and after so I've been snoozing and having pain today.
Also I realised today that I was in hospital for 10 days in total which probably explains why I feel so wobbly, in my head it was only a few days! Still a lot to process I think
You’re actually not far off. They slide the tool underneath the staple and then yeah, wiggle it out. It’s the same as pulling staples out a board display for any teachers out there. Sorry you’re sore. Take it easy

Reactions: 1
I had an emergency one last time and ended up staying in hospital for 5 days because baby needed to. At the time I was livid, but looking back now it was the best thing to happen because it forced me to rest. Those 5 days I spent laying in that bed or sitting on the chair doing nothing would never have happened if I had gone home. So try to use this time in hospital to rest. My wound also go infected a couple of weeks later, not so badly that I ended up in hospital, but it knocked me right back and I was in so much more pain from that, than I was from the surgery. Just rest as much as you can whilst you're in there and take things easy. I promise it gets better, so much so I've asked for another one!
That's a fair point about having to rest while being in here! I know for the few days I was
home in between being discharged and readmitted, that I wasn't really sitting and resting enough. I kept popping up to do things that were bothering me sitting looking at them, like dusting the bleedin' bookcase 🙄😂
So essentially maybe I just need to learn from this experience and actually just sit on my arse when I get home and accept that recovering and feeding a newborn will have to suffice in terms of productivity right now. I'm glad to hear your experience with sections hasn't put you off, that's really positive to hear 😊

Reactions: 3
That's a fair point about having to rest while being in here! I know for the few days I was
home in between being discharged and readmitted, that I wasn't really sitting and resting enough. I kept popping up to do things that were bothering me sitting looking at them, like dusting the bleedin' bookcase 🙄😂
So essentially maybe I just need to learn from this experience and actually just sit on my arse when I get home and accept that recovering and feeding a newborn will have to suffice in terms of productivity right now. I'm glad to hear your experience with sections hasn't put you off, that's really positive to hear 😊
100% wish id rested more! I got an infection too then my wound opened and honestly the mess can wait. It's frustrating to feel normal but be physically restricted and watching my husband do a tit job of the housework drove me mad 😂 I also felt like I was proving something by being more active, like it was better for me to go for a long dog walk in a heat wave 10 days post csection, and that meant I was recovering quicker, when actually it was bleeping madness 😂

Reactions: 1
Apparently 4-6 am is the new witching hour. It’s a damn right party over here. I’m not sure what this new schedule is, and I’m not sure how to break it, but it’s 100% not the one. Just left her in her next to me while she thrashed around and played while I napped in 2 minute increments. Then at 7 she was exhausted; we both napped from 7-9:30 am

If she’s doing this on the 3 days I work, I don’t know how I’ll survive. I haven’t transitioned her into her room yet so maybe it’s really, really time, especially if I’m going to be exhausted anyway during the day.

• Heart
Reactions: 6
Might be a silly question but, in your experiences, when you’re weaning / feeding and they drop the utensil after x amount of time, is that typically a sign they’re finished?

Might be a silly question but, in your experiences, when you’re weaning / feeding and they drop the utensil after x amount of time, is that typically a sign they’re finished?
In my experience, no.
They drop/mess about with it constantly. Throw it ect. But will still eat.
They're done when they won't put any more in their mouth imo

Reactions: 2
In my experience, no.
They drop/mess about with it constantly. Throw it ect. But will still eat.
They're done when they won't put any more in their mouth imo
Thanks! She’ll Not put anymore in her mouth then throw the utensil on the ground. Until that point, she shovels food into her mouth

In my experience, they’re not finished until they’ve thrown every last morsel to the dog so there’s nothing left to eat 😂 sometimes this happens immediately, sometimes this is delayed by the wearing of the bowl as a hat while food drips down her face, occasionally she might eat something in the middle 😂😂

• Haha
Reactions: 3
When baby is done, he starts sticking his tongue out and won’t let me put anything more in. He also does the spoons on the floor after the first mouthful, because sometimes he can be a bit of a knob

• Haha
Does anyone have any advice experience they can share with boob refusal. We only bfeed for the midde of the night feed and have done consistently for a months now, expressed milk during the day. Last two nights he cries if I try to breastfeed until he gets a bottle. 5 months old, coinciding with moving from a love to dream to a proper sleeping bag…

I don’t know why I care, I was so proud of us for getting this far I thought we would make it to 6 months. I don’t know what to do other than try one last night tomorrow and then that’s that 😔

• Heart
Reactions: 7
Does anyone have any advice experience they can share with boob refusal. We only bfeed for the midde of the night feed and have done consistently for a months now, expressed milk during the day. Last two nights he cries if I try to breastfeed until he gets a bottle. 5 months old, coinciding with moving from a love to dream to a proper sleeping bag…

I don’t know why I care, I was so proud of us for getting this far I thought we would make it to 6 months. I don’t know what to do other than try one last night tomorrow and then that’s that 😔
Can't help I'm afraid but we stopped at around 5m too, she just refused it more and more, then we started weaning and it sort of came to an end. It's really sad and hormones don't help but don't be too hard on yourself. 5m of breastfeeding is amazing 🙌🏻

The only piece of advice I got around that time was to be consistent and keep offering the boob as much as you can.

• Heart
Agree with this, we got gifted lots of baby bath stuff but my husband has bad eczema so we only use Child’s farm as it’s kind on his skin when he gives her a bath and obviously it’s really gentle on buba too.

I do love getting bath toys though 😂
I always make sure any products I get are hypoallergenic and I do my research before hand. For someone very particular, I would leave them out!

I always make sure any products I get are hypoallergenic and I do my research before hand. For someone very particular, I would leave them out!
I mean, you could always ask them what products they use. In my experience as a parent I'd appreciate that level of thought and it's a useful gift that way. I have a basket full of stuff we'll never use (will donate it obviously). How's your niece doing?

Reactions: 5
Yeah, it’s only really useful if you ask them what they use. I hate using new stuff on my kids, it makes them smell ‘wrong’ so any time anyone gives me baby toiletries, they go straight to charity / on Vinted if it’s pricey stuff 😂

Reactions: 6

I would offer again and see how you get on. You SHOULD be proud of yourself, you’ve done an amazing job feeding for 5months. There is so much pressure on mums to feed for set periods of time like 6 months, but the reality is that any time is amazing, and your worth as a mummy does not depend on the number of days you’ve breastfed ❤

• Heart
Reactions: 12
I mean, you could always ask them what products they use. In my experience as a parent I'd appreciate that level of thought and it's a useful gift that way. I have a basket full of stuff we'll never use (will donate it obviously). How's your niece doing?
My niece is gorgeous and seems to be doing well, as far as I can see from videos, pictures and info I have been given. She is hopefully meeting her 100 year-old great grandma this week, train strikes permitting! I am almost over my cough-cold hybrid thing, so hopefully I will get to meet her in person sooooon!

• Heart
My niece is gorgeous and seems to be doing well, as far as I can see from videos, pictures and info I have been given. She is hopefully meeting her 100 year-old great grandma this week, train strikes permitting! I am almost over my cough-cold hybrid thing, so hopefully I will get to meet her in person sooooon!
Oh fingers crossed you can meet her soon!
Sorry to take it off topic, we travel to France next week, were doing 4 days in Disney 4 days in Paris. Is it localised strikes or national? We traveling via eurostar but was going to hop on a train in Paris for a little day out somewhere. I'm finding conflicting information online so hope it's okay to ask you!

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.