New baby and post birth advice #43 no title needed, no suggestions made

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
@Chrisxo did you pick up the omeprazole? You’ll have to keep us posted on how he gets on with it x

---

Does anyone have any good ideas of what to get for a first birthday present for a friends baby? She’s very much anti-clutter, anti-plastic toys in the house, reaaaally fussy on clothing, etc. Don’t want to spend a lot really but I have no ideas 🤷‍♀️
Bath toys? X

• Heart
Reactions: 4
Does anyone have any good ideas of what to get for a first birthday present for a friends baby? She’s very much anti-clutter, anti-plastic toys in the house, reaaaally fussy on clothing, etc. Don’t want to spend a lot really but I have no ideas 🤷‍♀️
A nice little wooden toy from Amazon? Wooden stackers or something? Can get loads for under a tenner

• Heart
Reactions: 1
Hi all,
I know there are a lot of you with experience of reflux/allergies and wondered if I could have some of your wisdom please?

Baby is 6 weeks today and she has been struggling with bad gas/sickness/phlegm for a couple of weeks (I'm combi feeding - breast and formula). I got her weighed yesterday and she's dropped from 50th percentile to 25th, although still gaining a little weight.

Saw the Dr today who has prescribed Gaviscon and said to weigh her in a week and she may potentially then go onto omeprazole. In the meantime, she's put through a referral to the dietician for them to test her for milk allergies.

Does anyone have any advice as to what else we could be doing to help her, please?

We already sit her upright for feeds, pace feed, keep her upright for at least 30 mins from a feed, all the gas massage techniques and I'm at a loss. She's just so uncomfortable and it takes us hours to settle her and then when we do, she struggles to breathe on her back and sounds like she's choking on her phlegm and she ends up sleeping on us.

Thank you in advance x

• Heart
Hi all,
I know there are a lot of you with experience of reflux/allergies and wondered if I could have some of your wisdom please?

Baby is 6 weeks today and she has been struggling with bad gas/sickness/phlegm for a couple of weeks (I'm combi feeding - breast and formula). I got her weighed yesterday and she's dropped from 50th percentile to 25th, although still gaining a little weight.

Saw the Dr today who has prescribed Gaviscon and said to weigh her in a week and she may potentially then go onto omeprazole. In the meantime, she's put through a referral to the dietician for them to test her for milk allergies.

Does anyone have any advice as to what else we could be doing to help her, please?

We already sit her upright for feeds, pace feed, keep her upright for at least 30 mins from a feed, all the gas massage techniques and I'm at a loss. She's just so uncomfortable and it takes us hours to settle her and then when we do, she struggles to breathe on her back and sounds like she's choking on her phlegm and she ends up sleeping on us.

Thank you in advance x
I'd firstly go back to your GP and ask him for omeprazole, gaviscon isn't at all breast feeding friendly and ends up being a mega faff, not to mention the constipation issues it causes, in my experience.

As for allergies I can't really comment, but have you tried removing dairy from your diet and see how that goes?

Hi all,

Thank you in advance x
If they’re questioning a milk allergy, have they given you special formula and have you changed your diet if you’re combi feeding?

---

I’m a big fan of gifting a voucher for a local play centre. No clutter and will def get used.

• Heart
Reactions: 5
I'd firstly go back to your GP and ask him for omeprazole, gaviscon isn't at all breast feeding friendly and ends up being a mega faff, not to mention the constipation issues it causes, in my experience.

As for allergies I can't really comment, but have you tried removing dairy from your diet and see how that goes?
Oh really? The last thing she needs is constipation, I'll give them a call and see what they say.
Dr told me to keep my diet the same for the next week to see if the gaviscon works but I'm largely dairy free anyway as it doesn't agree with me (which makes me think it might be an intolerance)
thank you!

---

If they’re questioning a milk allergy, have they given you special formula and have you changed your diet if you’re combi feeding?

They've told me to keep my diet the same for now and said the dietician needs to prescribe the formula - I think I'll give them a call on Monday to chase up. Thank you :)

A nice set of toddler books would be my go to.

• Heart
Reactions: 2
Hi all,

Thank you in advance x
My little boy has really bad reflux and we were prescribed Infant Gaviscon and it’s been really good at neutralising the acid burn and somewhat effective at stopping him bringing milk up - we ran out of it just after Christmas because of delays in processing his prescription and we noticed the difference!

We started him on the 1 sachet with 120ml and then went up to 2 sachets when he got to 3m old. We try and make sure he has one feed with Gaviscon and one without, but much better to do night feeds with it as he can go back to sleep quicker.

We haven’t had any issues with constipation from it. Sometimes he’ll do what I describe as a little nugget poo which is the texture of play-doh but it doesn’t cause him any discomfort to pass and it happens much less often now. Really hope it works for you too.

In terms of the congestion - he had this too as he was forceps delivery - but he got over it after a couple of weeks. Steam can help and I think would be safe for a 6w old. When your baby gets a little older I can recommend the calpol plug in.

• Heart
I'm thinking of trying for omeprazole. No improvement in vomiting after 2 months of weaning, surely it should have settled by now? She's 7m at the weekend and we still get over 10 vomits a day, sometimes about 3x that but 10 is usually our minimum.

Thanks for the recommendations all, don’t know why I didn’t even think of books… duuhh, will see what I can find tomorrow.

Hope everyone is doing ok ❤❤

• Heart
My baby is still toothless but I’m wondering when I need to look at getting him registered for a dentist. It seems no dentists near me are accepting NHS patients. Has anyone else had this too? Do you add your name to a waiting list? Or have you gone private instead?
I’m so late but when I went my Dentist said she was happy to bring her to my next check up and have a look at mini Waka too always worth asking if you can’t find one that’ll take her

---

It’s strange it’s like he doesn’t want held but doesn’t want put down either then lies wriggling about but he’s been winded he used to just bottle and sleep but seems to fight it now😣
Sounds like reflux, just generally uncomfortable
Like @I’mThankyou_ said the gaviscon will thicken the feed and put a layer over the milk in his tummy but it isn’t doing anything for his stomach acid
(In my experience)

---

Something wooden from jacques
I spent £7 on my friend it was some wooden car thingy from Amazon

Last edited:
  • Heart
Just wanted to check in with a few people

@Hushpuppy did you get your section booked in ok?

@Nayalove96 hows the recovery going? Hopefully it’s starting to get a bit easier now?

• Heart
My little boy has really bad reflux and we were prescribed Infant Gaviscon and it’s been really good at neutralising the acid burn and somewhat effective at stopping him bringing milk up - we ran out of it just after Christmas because of delays in processing his prescription and we noticed the difference!

We started him on the 1 sachet with 120ml and then went up to 2 sachets when he got to 3m old. We try and make sure he has one feed with Gaviscon and one without, but much better to do night feeds with it as he can go back to sleep quicker.

We haven’t had any issues with constipation from it. Sometimes he’ll do what I describe as a little nugget poo which is the texture of play-doh but it doesn’t cause him any discomfort to pass and it happens much less often now. Really hope it works for you too.

In terms of the congestion - he had this too as he was forceps delivery - but he got over it after a couple of weeks. Steam can help and I think would be safe for a 6w old. When your baby gets a little older I can recommend the calpol plug in.
Ahh thank you, that's so reassuring! I'll try the one feed with, one without approach too!
Interesting what you say about the congestion, she was also forceps so hopefully it'll ease off soon, in the meantime I'll read up more on the steam and calpol plug in xx

@Hushpuppy did you get your section booked in ok?
Thank you for thinking of me. 🥰 My section was agreed to very easily, after all that worry I can't believe how simple it was. But I was told I wouldn't get my date until a few weeks before my due date, which is a bit annoying because I like to plan! But I can't grumble, I'm thrilled at the outcome.

Hope you're all well ladies x

• Heart
Reactions: 11
Thank you for thinking of me. 🥰 My section was agreed to very easily, after all that worry I can't believe how simple it was. But I was told I wouldn't get my date until a few weeks before my due date, which is a bit annoying because I like to plan! But I can't grumble, I'm thrilled at the outcome.

Hope you're all well ladies x
So glad it was an easy yes for you!

• Heart
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.