New baby and post birth advice #37 The only way to eat porridge is to tip it in the bin

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Thanks, those ones that go under their armpit x
Ah yes, I think those are quite accurate, but like all thermometers there is a potential for user error. I never trust them at all tbh!
But I don’t think it would be an over reaction to just have him checked over considering all you’ve said xx

• Heart
Reactions: 3
Girls would you trust a handheld thermometer for a new born? It’s saying 36.5. I haven’t got a forehead one. He feels a bit hot, was really sleepy yesterday and isn’t finishing his bottles like he usually does. He’s got a blocked nose too. Obv the shops aren’t open for me to go and buy one yet but with him being premature I’m a bit worried he’s 6 weeks old now
I'd recommend getting an infared one. They one I got is about £12 on amazon.

As @Definitelyme said, with him being preemie, I'd get medical advice 😊

The hospital we were in only uses under armpit ones as they're the most accurate apparently. But harder to get a reading

• Heart
Reactions: 1
We found our Tommy Tippee infrared one was massively inaccurate so after a couple of hospital trips we ended up bulk buying the type they use in hospital which are pretty accurate. They’re called tempa dot and we got them off either Amazon or eBay ☺ They’re armpit ones. Hope baby is ok, it’s always worth getting them checked out if there’s anything you’re worried about when they’re so teeny.

• Heart
Reactions: 3
Nursery chat - he’s not even started yet, but we got an email this week that it’s going up to £57.20 a day in January - the week he starts 🙃

It was £51 when we reserved just before he was born and has just crept up and up 😐
For 4 days a week term time only it works out at £594.82/month after tax free childcare. Although realistically we will have to add some holiday weeks too, we don’t actually have enough AL to be off all the hols even if we stagger them and are never both off at the same time.

Hoping I can have baby #2 next year. Be off all 2024 with them both. Then have two in nursery 4 days from Jan 2025 with current Baby SodIt getting his 30 free hours.
Then to figure out the weird spell with one in school and one in nursery. When they’re both in school I’ll go back to 5 days so I can do either pickup or drop off every day and only have to worry about paying on one end. But with them split I’ll have to suss out whether it’s better doing condensed hours and saving a day of nursery but having 4 days of double wraparound care. Or paying the 5th nursery day (atm full time is ‘only’ £28/week more than 4 days) and sparing having to find and pay for care at one end of the school day.

Hi yes I’m an over thinker, currently planning my 2026 logistics x

Currently just boobing the night away as per.
We don’t usually leave the baby, I don’t like it. My parents live on the next street so we’ve occasionally had him there for an hour or two while we do a big job at home, but otherwise we’ve only left him twice. Once because people kept pressuring us to go on a date and do something as a couple 🙄 so we begrudgingly booked a lunch but then it snowed so we stayed at home and took a nap. And once because a pre-covid spa voucher was about to expire.
I really don’t like being away from him. I want a cook/cleaner/handyman/gardener/PA as help, not a babysit. (Deffo harbouring residual anxiety about him being taken from me a few hours old 🤪 and that’s swirled up with my feelings about no longer being on mat leave and made *me* the clinger)
But out of obligation, we went out in Manchester for the day as our friends are emigrating next month. Baby didn’t have any of the expressed milk I left for him, so he went 7.5 hours without - longest stint he’s ever done. 300ml of hard won milk down the drain 😖 so obv he’s more of a limpet than ever now we’re reunited.

For those giving expressed milk, how much was/is your little one taking around 12 months?
I hate making the effort and it being wasted, and in typical circumstances I think I’d be fine just leaving him to manage with solids and tap water when I’m busy, but with his food allergies I don’t like the thought of not leaving an option on standby. But I can’t gauge how much to be making up for him, especially if I’m having to defrost.
I mean it’s moot because he won’t take it, but yanno 🤣
Boobing the night away for the next thread title surely 🤣🤣🤣🤣

• Haha
Reactions: 5
Super agitated this morning after only an hours sleep.
All kids have woken up in a bad mood.
9yo ranting at me because he's lost some toy.
4yo ranting at me because Reading Eggs isn't working properly.
Everleigh won't stop whingeing. And is refusing breakfast. But pretty sure she's whingeing because she's hungry.
She then spent 10 minutes crying because I wouldn't dunk her piece of soggy cracker in my coffee that she found in the toy box.
Partners just come home and says "Oh. The kitchens a bit of a mess"
Yeah because you left it a mess when you went to work Friday night and I havent had a chance to clean it all with 3 kids on my own 😑😑

• Heart
  • Sad
Reactions: 9
@Definitelyme just out of interest have you checked TMe’s tonsils? Middle sailor didn’t eat at all from weaning age like literally nothing but milk and turns out he had tonsils the size of tennis balls and couldn’t physically swallow 🙃 mum guilt was v real when we eventually realised (sorry just catching up on the thread)

• Heart
Reactions: 2
Nursery chat - he’s not even started yet, but we got an email this week that it’s going up to £57.20 a day in January - the week he starts 🙃

It was £51 when we reserved just before he was born and has just crept up and up 😐
For 4 days a week term time only it works out at £594.82/month after tax free childcare. Although realistically we will have to add some holiday weeks too, we don’t actually have enough AL to be off all the hols even if we stagger them and are never both off at the same time.

Hoping I can have baby #2 next year. Be off all 2024 with them both. Then have two in nursery 4 days from Jan 2025 with current Baby SodIt getting his 30 free hours.
Then to figure out the weird spell with one in school and one in nursery. When they’re both in school I’ll go back to 5 days so I can do either pickup or drop off every day and only have to worry about paying on one end. But with them split I’ll have to suss out whether it’s better doing condensed hours and saving a day of nursery but having 4 days of double wraparound care. Or paying the 5th nursery day (atm full time is ‘only’ £28/week more than 4 days) and sparing having to find and pay for care at one end of the school day.

Hi yes I’m an over thinker, currently planning my 2026 logistics x

Currently just boobing the night away as per.
We don’t usually leave the baby, I don’t like it. My parents live on the next street so we’ve occasionally had him there for an hour or two while we do a big job at home, but otherwise we’ve only left him twice. Once because people kept pressuring us to go on a date and do something as a couple 🙄 so we begrudgingly booked a lunch but then it snowed so we stayed at home and took a nap. And once because a pre-covid spa voucher was about to expire.
I really don’t like being away from him. I want a cook/cleaner/handyman/gardener/PA as help, not a babysit. (Deffo harbouring residual anxiety about him being taken from me a few hours old 🤪 and that’s swirled up with my feelings about no longer being on mat leave and made *me* the clinger)
But out of obligation, we went out in Manchester for the day as our friends are emigrating next month. Baby didn’t have any of the expressed milk I left for him, so he went 7.5 hours without - longest stint he’s ever done. 300ml of hard won milk down the drain 😖 so obv he’s more of a limpet than ever now we’re reunited.

For those giving expressed milk, how much was/is your little one taking around 12 months?
I hate making the effort and it being wasted, and in typical circumstances I think I’d be fine just leaving him to manage with solids and tap water when I’m busy, but with his food allergies I don’t like the thought of not leaving an option on standby. But I can’t gauge how much to be making up for him, especially if I’m having to defrost.
I mean it’s moot because he won’t take it, but yanno 🤣
Mine would take around 3oz expressed milk at 12 months but suddenly stopped, and from pretty much then either had cows milk or just doesn’t have milk while I’m not there, e.g at nursery. If I’m out of an evening OH/MIL etc can get her to sleep with a bottle of warm cows milk but during the day she’s not bothered

Girls would you trust a handheld thermometer for a new born? It’s saying 36.5. I haven’t got a forehead one. He feels a bit hot, was really sleepy yesterday and isn’t finishing his bottles like he usually does. He’s got a blocked nose too. Obv the shops aren’t open for me to go and buy one yet but with him being premature I’m a bit worried he’s 6 weeks old now
I'd take him in for the once over. If you ring 111 and ask once they find out his age and that he's a preemie it's protocol to get an ambulance out for them, weather you want it or not x

• Heart
I must be giving off that I'm agitated because my partners sent me back up to bed for an hour 😂
Probably has something to do with the fact I was sitting crying on the sofa when he walked in 😂

• Heart
Reactions: 13
Sorry… more questions! Should I be weaning her off her bottle as well? She uses a munchkin cup for water but she’ll only take a few mouthfuls while she eats or through the day she might pick it up for a few sips but she won’t sit and glug 7oz like she does with a bottle. I’m just really confused how I switch her over and get her out of the habit of bottles 😵💫

Sorry… more questions! Should I be weaning her off her bottle as well? She uses a munchkin cup for water but she’ll only take a few mouthfuls while she eats or through the day she might pick it up for a few sips but she won’t sit and glug 7oz like she does with a bottle. I’m just really confused how I switch her over and get her out of the habit of bottles 😵💫
She still has her bed time milk in a bottle tbh because I find it makes her sleepy. (on the rare occasion she does drink it these days 😂 usually gets refused as soon as she tastes milk)
Although that's not the advice. But I've done it with all the kids.
For day time though, we went for one of these.
And now she has a tommee tippee one with a straw. But we've only just changed to that

Attachments

Just caught myself in the aisle of Morrisons singing out loudly to Don’t Stop Believing without realising and thought how horrified @jackolantern would be 🤣
Back on this topic, I've just realised the absolute horror that is my next shift is in December which means...

ALL DAY CHRISTMAS SONGS AND CUSTOMERS SINGING

Kill me now

• Haha
Reactions: 7
@Definitelyme just out of interest have you checked TMe’s tonsils? Middle sailor didn’t eat at all from weaning age like literally nothing but milk and turns out he had tonsils the size of tennis balls and couldn’t physically swallow 🙃 mum guilt was v real when we eventually realised (sorry just catching up on the thread)
I haven’t no, I don’t even know how 🙈 will have to Google it and have a look. Thank you x

Oh man, I don't think I was gone for so long and now everyone has changed?! WHAT IS THIS?! 😆

Kitten slept till 8:45 am today 😱

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 8
BabyGG looks like he’s finally turning a corner after having bronchiolitis, he did a 3 hr stretch last night, is back to rejecting his Dads attention and downed 7oz before bed last night 🙌🏼 longest week of my life 😅

• Heart
Reactions: 13
Twin 2 has just pulled herself to stand 😭😭😭
Lasted 0.00001 seconds but she pulled herself up. Who even is she?!
BRB going to cry hard into a bacon barm🥹🥹

• Heart
Reactions: 31
Twin 2 has just pulled herself to stand 😭😭😭
Lasted 0.00001 seconds but she pulled herself up. Who even is she?!
BRB going to cry hard into a bacon barm🥹🥹

Did you get her stander earlier this week?

ok that is not the GIF I chose but can’t figure out how to get the one I want, sorry!

• Haha
Reactions: 8
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.