New baby and post birth advice #37 The only way to eat porridge is to tip it in the bin

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Yep, I get ‘what’s up with you?’ after he’s watched me run round like a blue arses fly all day.

Also question - baby o’s birthday is in like 2 weeks. We’re having a little tea party with family at the weekend but on the day of her birthday (it’s a Thursday) I was hoping me and KW could take her somewhere for a little trip out.
As it’s midweek and we don’t have a car, we’d be relying on public transport - I was looking at farms, Christmas grottos etc but they’re all like 2+bus rides away and frankly getting a pushchair on and off four buses with KW sounds like a recipe for divorce.
but I have found a soft play in walking distance that has a little under 4s bit that looks baby friendly. I figured it should be quite quiet but is it weird to go just the 3 of us. I’m happy to sit in the play area with her while she crawls around and tries to climb everywhere (I’m sure KW will be bored to tears but it’s not his birthday), but is it weird?
we don’t really have many baby friends, or at least not any we know well enough to spend her birthday with.
Not weird at all, I used to take the 9yo to soft play alone midweek, was the only time there wasn't head 11 year olds stomping around. On occasion there'd only be one or two other small kids there.

Reactions: 3
Yep, I get ‘what’s up with you?’ after he’s watched me run round like a blue arses fly all day.

Also question - baby o’s birthday is in like 2 weeks. We’re having a little tea party with family at the weekend but on the day of her birthday (it’s a Thursday) I was hoping me and KW could take her somewhere for a little trip out.
As it’s midweek and we don’t have a car, we’d be relying on public transport - I was looking at farms, Christmas grottos etc but they’re all like 2+bus rides away and frankly getting a pushchair on and off four buses with KW sounds like a recipe for divorce.
but I have found a soft play in walking distance that has a little under 4s bit that looks baby friendly. I figured it should be quite quiet but is it weird to go just the 3 of us. I’m happy to sit in the play area with her while she crawls around and tries to climb everywhere (I’m sure KW will be bored to tears but it’s not his birthday), but is it weird?
we don’t really have many baby friends, or at least not any we know well enough to spend her birthday with.
We went for baby’s birthday, just the three of us, and we had a lovely day ☺

Reactions: 2

100% not weird, mines almost the exact same age and I take him midweek to practice his climbing without the tears of repeatedly banging his head on our wooden floors, and there’s actually always more couples in there than just solo mums! We’re in a similar area as well so hopefully that reassures you ❤

:eek: HAVE I BEEN CLONED? Although fml if my people are on sodding mumsnet of all places, can I not atleast have something cool like the darkweb or some tit
Babes no one on the dark web is making soup 🤣

• Haha
Reactions: 12
I’m so sick of men.
Why do they think it’s ok for them to have 6009 hobbies and you feel like you have to ask permission to go and wash your hair?

• Heart
Reactions: 21
I’m so sick of men.
Why do they think it’s ok for them to have 6009 hobbies and you feel like you have to ask permission to go and wash your hair?
Feel this.

I’ve started to not ask and just tell. I go “I’m going to go do this, you’re on” and walk off.

• Heart
Reactions: 8
I’m so sick of men.
don’t. Literally do the same, it’s hard and takes some practise but start saying ‘I’m going in the shower now’ or ‘just popping out for a few bits’

• Heart
Reactions: 7
no pressure then… 🙄😂

God I have no idea. Any suggestions anyone?! 😂 Or shall I remain a floating letter B for eternity?!
So behind, but I was so confused with the new photo 😂 and now I imagine this as toddler runner 😂😂😂

I blame Mr Blobby and Noel Edmunds for my anxiety and PTSD in all honesty

I don’t even know who half the profile pictures are but it’s how I end up visioning you all. So I hope you all see me as Kendall Jenner 😂
Didn’t even know you were Kendall Jenner 😂😂

I am in fact, a witch!

I do this😈 I have a secret stash in my bedside table. No one will ever know
Teen bean ALWAYS goes through my drawers and finds my chocolate. I hope she don’t go through Mr Bs as there’s things in there she DOESN’T want to see 👀

• Haha
Reactions: 9

Not weird at all I go to our small local soft play every Thursday for a few hours just the two of us. We both have our dinner there and she naps on the bus home 👍🏻 (most of the time 🙄)

Nursery chat - he’s not even started yet, but we got an email this week that it’s going up to £57.20 a day in January - the week he starts 🙃

It was £51 when we reserved just before he was born and has just crept up and up 😐
For 4 days a week term time only it works out at £594.82/month after tax free childcare. Although realistically we will have to add some holiday weeks too, we don’t actually have enough AL to be off all the hols even if we stagger them and are never both off at the same time.

Hoping I can have baby #2 next year. Be off all 2024 with them both. Then have two in nursery 4 days from Jan 2025 with current Baby SodIt getting his 30 free hours.
Then to figure out the weird spell with one in school and one in nursery. When they’re both in school I’ll go back to 5 days so I can do either pickup or drop off every day and only have to worry about paying on one end. But with them split I’ll have to suss out whether it’s better doing condensed hours and saving a day of nursery but having 4 days of double wraparound care. Or paying the 5th nursery day (atm full time is ‘only’ £28/week more than 4 days) and sparing having to find and pay for care at one end of the school day.

Hi yes I’m an over thinker, currently planning my 2026 logistics x

Currently just boobing the night away as per.
We don’t usually leave the baby, I don’t like it. My parents live on the next street so we’ve occasionally had him there for an hour or two while we do a big job at home, but otherwise we’ve only left him twice. Once because people kept pressuring us to go on a date and do something as a couple 🙄 so we begrudgingly booked a lunch but then it snowed so we stayed at home and took a nap. And once because a pre-covid spa voucher was about to expire.
I really don’t like being away from him. I want a cook/cleaner/handyman/gardener/PA as help, not a babysit. (Deffo harbouring residual anxiety about him being taken from me a few hours old 🤪 and that’s swirled up with my feelings about no longer being on mat leave and made *me* the clinger)
But out of obligation, we went out in Manchester for the day as our friends are emigrating next month. Baby didn’t have any of the expressed milk I left for him, so he went 7.5 hours without - longest stint he’s ever done. 300ml of hard won milk down the drain 😖 so obv he’s more of a limpet than ever now we’re reunited.

For those giving expressed milk, how much was/is your little one taking around 12 months?
I hate making the effort and it being wasted, and in typical circumstances I think I’d be fine just leaving him to manage with solids and tap water when I’m busy, but with his food allergies I don’t like the thought of not leaving an option on standby. But I can’t gauge how much to be making up for him, especially if I’m having to defrost.
I mean it’s moot because he won’t take it, but yanno 🤣

• Heart
Reactions: 7
For those giving expressed milk, how much was/is your little one taking around 12 months?
I hate making the effort and it being wasted, and in typical circumstances I think I’d be fine just leaving him to manage with solids and tap water when I’m busy, but with his food allergies I don’t like the thought of not leaving an option on standby. But I can’t gauge how much to be making up for him, especially if I’m having to defrost.
Baby Bs younger but we went out on Thursday night and I left him with 6oz across 3 bags/bottles he only drank 2oz they gave him another 2oz bottle and he wouldn’t take it and this is over about 6 hours.
I try to stick to the 1oz expressed for every hour away but if he’ll only drink 2 and my outputs reduced to only pumping 2 at a time anyway that’s all I can really do. Makes me even more nervous for nursery!

Nursery chat - he’s not even started yet, but we got an email this week that it’s going up to £57.20 a day in January - the week he starts 🙃

It was £51 when we reserved just before he was born and has just crept up and up 😐
For 4 days a week term time only it works out at £594.82/month after tax free childcare. Although realistically we will have to add some holiday weeks too, we don’t actually have enough AL to be off all the hols even if we stagger them and are never both off at the same time.

Hoping I can have baby #2 next year. Be off all 2024 with them both. Then have two in nursery 4 days from Jan 2025 with current Baby SodIt getting his 30 free hours.
Then to figure out the weird spell with one in school and one in nursery. When they’re both in school I’ll go back to 5 days so I can do either pickup or drop off every day and only have to worry about paying on one end. But with them split I’ll have to suss out whether it’s better doing condensed hours and saving a day of nursery but having 4 days of double wraparound care. Or paying the 5th nursery day (atm full time is ‘only’ £28/week more than 4 days) and sparing having to find and pay for care at one end of the school day.

Hi yes I’m an over thinker, currently planning my 2026 logistics x

Currently just boobing the night away as per.
We don’t usually leave the baby, I don’t like it. My parents live on the next street so we’ve occasionally had him there for an hour or two while we do a big job at home, but otherwise we’ve only left him twice. Once because people kept pressuring us to go on a date and do something as a couple 🙄 so we begrudgingly booked a lunch but then it snowed so we stayed at home and took a nap. And once because a pre-covid spa voucher was about to expire.
I really don’t like being away from him. I want a cook/cleaner/handyman/gardener/PA as help, not a babysit. (Deffo harbouring residual anxiety about him being taken from me a few hours old 🤪 and that’s swirled up with my feelings about no longer being on mat leave and made *me* the clinger)
But out of obligation, we went out in Manchester for the day as our friends are emigrating next month. Baby didn’t have any of the expressed milk I left for him, so he went 7.5 hours without - longest stint he’s ever done. 300ml of hard won milk down the drain 😖 so obv he’s more of a limpet than ever now we’re reunited.

So I haven’t left baby runner much yet. But toddler runner would never drink the expressed milk, she’d just survive on food and water - this includes when I was gone for 14 hours working shifts. Have only left baby runner for max two hours so far and haven’t even bothered to pump, if she’s hungry she also gets food and water

Talking if KWs I saw something so funny a few days ago in Asda. A lady was there with her newborn (proper newborn, so tiny 😭) and her husband. He was following her round like a blue arsed fly and you could tell he was irritating her, in the end she went "just piss off and go over there and look at pizzas, I need 5 minutes!!" I feel like we've all been there 🤣🤣

• Haha
Reactions: 20
Parenting achievement unlocked? accidentally Texted “BIG POOP POOPS” to the local Vinted-ish what’s app group at 6 am.
🤣🤣🤣🤣

• Haha
Reactions: 12
Parenting achievement unlocked? accidentally Texted “BIG POOP POOPS” to the local Vinted-ish what’s app group at 6 am.
🤣🤣🤣🤣
Like the time I texted to someone who I work for that baby had done a massive poo explosion and was basically going “OH GOD ITS EVERYWHERE!” 🤣

• Haha
Reactions: 10
Girls would you trust a handheld thermometer for a new born? It’s saying 36.5. I haven’t got a forehead one. He feels a bit hot, was really sleepy yesterday and isn’t finishing his bottles like he usually does. He’s got a blocked nose too. Obv the shops aren’t open for me to go and buy one yet but with him being premature I’m a bit worried he’s 6 weeks old now

• Heart
Reactions: 5
Another question - weaning off formula.
Baby o still has 3x 7oz religiously, which seems like a lot to try and wean her off from. Should I just starting switching to cows milk and see if she naturally wants less or wait until she’s dropped to two bottles?

Girls would you trust a handheld thermometer for a new born? It’s saying 36.5. I haven’t got a forehead one. He feels a bit hot, was really sleepy yesterday and isn’t finishing his bottles like he usually does. He’s got a blocked nose too. Obv the shops aren’t open for me to go and buy one yet but with him being premature I’m a bit worried he’s 6 weeks old now
Any worries with a newborn, especially a preemie, I would seek medical advice just to be sure. Sounds like a wee cold, but better safe than sorry.
When you say handheld what sort do you mean?

Any worries with a newborn, especially a preemie, I would seek medical advice just to be sure. Sounds like a wee cold, but better safe than sorry.
When you say handheld what sort do you mean?
Thanks, those ones that go under their armpit x

Reactions: 1
Another question - weaning off formula.
Baby o still has 3x 7oz religiously, which seems like a lot to try and wean her off from. Should I just starting switching to cows milk and see if she naturally wants less or wait until she’s dropped to two bottles?
I just switch straight to cows milk and replace anything they have with cows milk.
It's recommended they have between 16-24oz of cows milk. So her 3 bottles would still be fine anyway 😊

Reactions: 1
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.