Neighbour excessively feeding birds...

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I know this sounds ridiculous but my neighbour has bird feeding stations all over her garden (front and back). It’s something she has only done recently but it’s causing us a few issues.

My kids are 3 & 4 so have been playing outside a lot while we’ve been in lockdown but their outdoor play stuff is always covered in bird poo as are all of the seating areas. Also, every time I hang a load of washing out, I end up having to rewash a couple of bits as they have been tit on so I’ve given up drying my clothes outside. I suspect rats are present too as my dog has been behaving like they are about (she’s from working stock of ratting dogs)

My neighbour laughed in my face when I mentioned it to her.

Any advice, I know it seems a ridiculous complaint but it is effecting us being able to use our garden as we wish.

There aren’t really any laws that you could use here but you could threaten with environmental health. Tell your neighbour you’ve seen a rat in/near their garden and you dog is going nuts due to this so you suspect this could encourage them. Ask that she stops or reduced the feeders to maybe 1 or 2.

my neighbour had a rat problem and used a rat box deterannt that made a loud noise I threatened with environmental health as his grounds were disgusting and he’s cleaned his act up.
Also mention your concern about rats and that you/them/your children could touch something with rat urine and become very very ill. And then it could be their fault. Hopefully they stop. Especially in these time’s when the garden is needed.

There aren’t really any laws that you could use here but you could threaten with environmental health. Tell your neighbour you’ve seen a rat in/near their garden and you dog is going nuts due to this so you suspect this could encourage them. Ask that she stops or reduced the feeders to maybe 1 or 2.

my neighbour had a rat problem and used a rat box deterannt that made a loud noise I threatened with environmental health as his grounds were disgusting and he’s cleaned his act up.
Also mention your concern about rats and that you/them/your children could touch something with rat urine and become very very ill. And then it could be their fault. Hopefully they stop. Especially in these time’s when the garden is needed.
This also may be useful if it persists

Attachments

I have the same issue and am currently at wits end. Birds are now nesting on my roof! Really not sure how to help situation as my neighbor has multiple feeding stations plus 2-3 times per day comes out to feed them with bread. 😩😩😩

Reactions: 1
Is there anything you can put up to deter the birds without your neighbour noticing? Like the ultrasonic stuff for rats, does that exist for birds?

I'd get a big plastic cover and put it over their outdoor play things. Tuck it underneath and put a few bricks round the edges. If your kids play at say the back could you ask her just to have the feeders at the front and just a couple? Rats are everywhere and if shes putting food out for the birds obviously they will come. I'd get a dummy of a sparrowhawk and stick that up, no bird will come near.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1