Natural Cleaning Tips, Tricks and General Chat

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
A thread to talk about natural cleaning!

After being pretty horrified by all the damage Mrs Hinch and her clones are doing to people's health and the environment I think it's important to highlight how easy it can be to clean using natural methods.

Also every now and again I'm going to pick products that Mrs Hinch advertises, and break down what really goes into those products and the impact of those ingredients on health etc.

Reactions: 7
Really glad to see a thread on this thanks @Bubu :). To make white vinegar less grim smelling, I'm trying out the grapefruit thing the organised mum shared on her story a few weeks ago. In a big 5 litre container of vinegar, throw in the juice and peel of a whole grapefruit and leave for three weeks. I'm two ish weeks in and it's definitely less vinegar smelling but not completely so. Anyone been successful with eliminating the smell altogether?

Also has anyone got a good recipe to make a decent air freshener?

Reactions: 1
Yeah the vinegar can be quite strong smelling, I think I am used to it now I just use it on a day when I can open up windows for a couple of hours and once dry it does dissipate quite quickly. It also depends which type of vinegar you use (I go for apple cider vinegar) as they can smell different.

Really glad to see a thread on this thanks @Bubu :). To make white vinegar less grim smelling, I'm trying out the grapefruit thing the organised mum shared on her story a few weeks ago. In a big 5 litre container of vinegar, throw in the juice and peel of a whole grapefruit and leave for three weeks. I'm two ish weeks in and it's definitely less vinegar smelling but not completely so. Anyone been successful with eliminating the smell altogether?

Also has anyone got a good recipe to make a decent air freshener?
I make one yes. I bought a 100ml Amber glass bottle (the scent lasts better in this I found)
50ml distilled water (I use the water from the tumble dryer)
50ml witch hazel
10 drops of essential oils. I use lavender as it's safe around my dog, but if you're pet free anything of your choice

I was using so much softener on my clothes so decided to make a change and I’m using white vinegar and essential oils instead, works a treat

Reactions: 2
I was using so much softener on my clothes so decided to make a change and I’m using white vinegar and essential oils instead, works a treat
Since I switched to vinegar, I haven’t noticed much of a difference in softness of my clothes which is really good. In fact my towels I’ve had for a couple of years which have only ever had vinegar instead of softener are still really nice and fluffy compared to towels I had when I used softener.

I make one yes. I bought a 100ml Amber glass bottle (the scent lasts better in this I found)
50ml distilled water (I use the water from the tumble dryer)
50ml witch hazel
10 drops of essential oils. I use lavender as it's safe around my dog, but if you're pet free anything of your choice
Is lavender the only one that is safe for dogs? I can't stand it! Would that be safe to use round babies too?

Vinegar spray has changed my cleaning life! After seething at the toxic influence of the likes of Mrs H, I was spurred on to try using non-toxic items. Vinegar spray has really helped me do my spring clean :D

Can anyone point me in the direction of some information on why I should stay away from softener . I only use on my clothes not up my walls and in bed but I keep seeing it is hazardous ?

Can anyone point me in the direction of some information on why I should stay away from softener . I only use on my clothes not up my walls and in bed but I keep seeing it is hazardous ?
Check the back or side of the bottle, it explains there but basically softener destroys fire retardants as it coats everything in a plastic so shouldn't be used on sofas, curtains, carpets, children's bedding and pajamas, etc. Everything will go up quicker if it catches light!