Names You Can't Stand #6

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I know someone from NZ who named all their kids beautifully, except the the first kid ' Ethan Awl'
ah, this has reminded me that i recently saw a name announcement where a little girl was given the middle name Owl. i think her brother's middle name is Fox, which is cute, and i get there's a trend of Wren, Lark, Robin, Dove and even Sparrow (?!) - but Owl?!

• Haha
Reactions: 4
ah, this has reminded me that i recently saw a name announcement where a little girl was given the middle name Owl. i think her brother's middle name is Fox, which is cute, and i get there's a trend of Wren, Lark, Robin, Dove and even Sparrow (?!) - but Owl?!
I know right. I searched what Awl means it's actually a last name that means 'first' and if you say Ethan Awl fast it sounds like Ethanol

• Haha
Reactions: 6
i hate the name Kayleigh. i don't like the name in general, but spelt with the "leigh" ending - it's so late 80s/early 90s and is a spelling you don't see as often now. i went to school with multiple Kayleighs, an Ashleigh and Haylieghs - and while i don't like any of those names in general, that "leigh" ending is so ugly.

i don't have a middle name, and as a kid i hated it because I was the only one and felt so left out. in retrospect though, i'm actually glad I wasn't lumbered with one of the boring, generic 90s middle names that everyone was stuck with - Louise, Marie, Jane, Elizabeth etc!

Reactions: 10
i hate the name Kayleigh. i don't like the name in general, but spelt with the "leigh" ending - it's so late 80s/early 90s and is a spelling you don't see as often now. i went to school with multiple Kayleighs, an Ashleigh and Haylieghs - and while i don't like any of those names in general, that "leigh" ending is so ugly.

i don't have a middle name, and as a kid i hated it because I was the only one and felt so left out. in retrospect though, i'm actually glad I wasn't lumbered with one of the boring, generic 90s middle names that everyone was stuck with - Louise, Marie, Jane, Elizabeth etc!
My & my Sister have no middle names either

Reactions: 1
There are names that are really popular because of a celeb that was around at that time.
So I've always wondered - if Princess Diana was so popular, how come you never hear of babies being given that name?
😂 I met a lovely woman from Spain once when I was EFL teaching whose given name was Princess Diana. Was a bit surprised when reading the register but she just said "my mother is crazy" 🙃

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 9
I have a middle name that has family meaning, and so do my girls. I literally hate it when people are all “what middle name can I give my kid that goes with xxx?” No one HAS to have a middle name, if you're naming a child and don’t have one that you like or want to use because it has meaning then don’t bloody bother!

• Sad
Reactions: 7
I have a middle name that has family meaning, and so do my girls. I literally hate it when people are all “what middle name can I give my kid that goes with xxx?” No one HAS to have a middle name, if you're naming a child and don’t have one that you like or want to use because it has meaning then don’t bloody bother!
YES. like, i think it's nice if you give your child a middle name that has family meaning or is meaningful or has some kind of sentimental value - or even if you just love the name - but giving a child a middle name simply for the sake of giving them a middle name is pointless! it's obvious when a parent has just gone "oh tit, need a middle name!" and thrown a generic middle name into the mix. like, yeah - if Rose or Marie or whatever are. meaningful in some way, but they're generally just filler middle names used solely for the sake of giving their child a middle name. 🤦🏻‍♀️

Reactions: 3
Loving this middle name chat. No one in my family has one & I actually have a couple friends that don't have either. We haven't given our daughter one & sometimes I think "oh we should have done, she'll be the only one at school without" but in reality how many people know your middle name? My other half kept saying we should give her one but I said to him they don't mean anything to me, I didn't think it was fair to pick one of our mums (I know you can have more than one but that's another matter), equally didn't want to use any of our grannies (I'm 99% sure his granny thought we would use her name, so that definitely came off the cards hahah), he even said we could use one of the other baby names we liked but I said what if we have another. We went with his favourite for her name so I decided no middle name, one less box to fill in on forms haha. I didn't want to give her a middle name for the sake of it or cos it's the "norm" now.

• Heart
Reactions: 5
I don’t have a middle name either!!
as i've grown up, I've met more people without middle names, but as a kid, i only knew myself and my brother! kids would have the "what's your middle name" conversation, and i always felt left out - or told i was lying and obviously had a super embarrassing nickname i didn't want to tell them!

i was actually more bothered as a kid by the fact that my name was so unusual. it was constantly misspelled - still is! - but more annoyingly, you could never find it on any of the keyrings/pens/stickers/headbands etc in gift shops. more recently it's become slightly more popular - although mainly variations of. my name than my actual name, and it's still very rare that i see my name printed on anything. even if i see. my nickname, it's always spelt incorrectly!

• Heart
Reactions: 5
as i've grown up, I've met more people without middle names, but as a kid, i only knew myself and my brother! kids would have the "what's your middle name" conversation, and i always felt left out - or told i was lying and obviously had a super embarrassing nickname i didn't want to tell them!

i was actually more bothered as a kid by the fact that my name was so unusual. it was constantly misspelled - still is! - but more annoyingly, you could never find it on any of the keyrings/pens/stickers/headbands etc in gift shops. more recently it's become slightly more popular - although mainly variations of. my name than my actual name, and it's still very rare that i see my name printed on anything. even if i see. my nickname, it's always spelt incorrectly!
Omg are we the same person! I hated not having a middle name as a kid but I don’t care now. It was more that everybody had the same one like Louise 😅 I also have an unusual name. It was never on anything in gift shops and when I was growing up it was really fashionable to wear a headband with your name on it and obviously I never had one. I once cried to my mum and said why did you give me this silly name 😅 I don’t mind my name now and I don’t think anything else would suit me but it is more common for a boy and I get a bit fed up with ‘oh did your mum want a boy’ 🙄

Mine has many spelling options too and my parents didn’t pick the most popular one 🙄 I have family members who have genuinely known me for pretty much 40 years who still spell it wrong in christmas cards! I also never had personalised things and used to be absolutely heartbroken, especially as my sister has a very boring common one-spelling only name! I remember being on holiday in America as a kid and having something personalised by a lady there in front of me and I thought it was the best thing that had ever happened!

shoutout to our unusual name squad! i could never find my name on anything as a kid, and still can’t - spend half my life spelling it out to people and don’t get me started on how the baristas in starbucks write it on my cup 🤣

it’s a french name and i was in paris when coke were doing those personalised bottles with “have a coke with……” and i found one bottle with my name on! i still have it, even though it’s at least nine years old at this point. the only thing i have legitimately found with my name.

(i really want to know everyone’s names now 🤣)

Reactions: 10
Siobhan - yes I know it's Irish, still annoying as I desperately want to actually call them see-obe-han

Sinead also has me wanting to vom 🤢

Reactions: 6
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.