Nail biting

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Has anyone had any success with stopping nail biting? I've bit my nails for as long as I can remember, every year I tell myself this will be the year I finally stop but I end up going back to it

I've tried painting then, using that polish that's meant to be a bad taste, using false nails, as a kid I'd be made to wear mittens or gloves because it was so bad an I was actually damaging my fingers with biting an ripping skin

I don't know what it is but I just can't seem to have then grow past a certain point, someone once said maybe just pick one nail an only bite it but it never works, I'd really love for once to have my nails done but I need to get over this first otherwise am paying money that will be wasted if I ever do manage to grow them enough

Reactions: 2
The only thing that worked for me. So I got nail extensions put on. I then got a second set (so about six or seven weeks in total one after another). These then got soaked off by the salon, then I got gel polish done by the salon.

In between those times I got out of the habit of biting it. I continued going to the salon to get the gels soaked off and new painted on but that was purely because I am a RIOT if I try to do my own nails.

I'll look into that, I've only ever done false nails but they always just fell off after a day or two, probably because I never left them along

Do these stay on quite well? I've never heard of them, I feel like if I can just manage at least a whole month of not biting then maybe I can get passed this

I'll look into that, I've only ever done false nails but they always just fell off after a day or two, probably because I never left them along

Do these stay on quite well? I've never heard of them, I feel like if I can just manage at least a whole month of not biting then maybe I can get passed this
Yeah mine stayed on well. Acrylic I think are stronger than gel extensions, which I would recommend for this purpose.

*but I'm not an expert of course.

Reactions: 1
I also am a reformed biter…same as @SwishSwing i got extensions and then infills until it was my own length. I always have a gel on my nails now. It’s my one monthly treat to myself. Feel strange with nothing on my nails now.

I stopped around 18 months ago after biting all my life up to the age of 30. My nails were in a terrible state as well as the skin around them. Would say I've still not fully broken the habit (especially cuticle picking) and I have to be conscious every day to not bite but I don't have the nails of a nail biter now.

I got gel extensions initially (I messaged loads of salons explaining I was a bad biter until someone replied who made me feel comfortable) to break the habit in the first couple of weeks. They weren't really practical for me long term. I tried loads of things like home gels/keeping them painted but any imperfection and I couldn't resist picking which led to weak nails which snapped and led to me biting again. What's helped me is having cuticle oil on my desk and every time I want to bite/pick I put oil on. I try to always carry a nail file as any small tear in the nail would have led to me biting. File/cut down any jagged cuticles as soon as they appear so I'm not tempted to bite them off. I have a fidget ring that I wear at work and spin when I want to bite. I also began therapy for my anxiety which I think has helped a lot!

Good luck it's such a hard habit to break.

Thanks for all the advice, I also feel it's all am thinking about every day as well, it's something I wish wasn't constantly on my mind but it is

I'll look into these extensions, an see how I get on, I also couldn't get nail polish to work because I would just pick at it until I could bite

Sometimes I wonder just what causes it, other people don't even think about their nails, although am anxious I don't even think I can put it down to that because I'll bite at home when am totally relaxed

I might try a fidget ring as well an see if it will help focus my attention off my nails

I used to be a biter but literally just stopped, every time I put my finger near my mouth, I stopped and moved it away. Apparently snapping an elastic band on your wrist every time you get an urge can help.

I would be wary of getting acrylics as your nails are already damaged without them being deprived of sunlight and damaged further with glue etc.

I think gel overlays are better but I don’t have any experience myself.

perhaps ask a reputable nail place

I used to bite my nails all the time, and then get frustrated at myself when they went really low down and hurt!

I stopped myself biting my fingers but allowed my thumb and sometimes little finger for a while and eventually stopped doing those ones because I wanted them to match my others which had grown out!

I actually had a nail stay long for over a year! Haven't had one stay that long since but they all generally grow pretty healthy! I just have a job where I have to peel labels off and everyone else wears false nails which I don't so my nails end up splitting sometimes

I find I'll nibble a bit if they're starting to split or around my period, but I'm more aware of when I'm doing it now so as stupid as it sounds sometimes I just chew on an end of a pen 😅

I was doing quite well but then when an bit them all 😫😫 I feel like I can start ok then I'll go back an then am just mad at myself for giving in, I'd like to know what it is that actually causes it to make me feel I need to bite them off

I've bitten ever since I can remember. Both nails and the skin. My partner tells me I do it more when I'm anxious.

I’ve always bit my nails. Only time I didn’t was coming up to my wedding I got gel nails done every 3/4 weeks and they were so naturally long by the time I got married. Then I went back to biting again. I’ve recently had to stop as I’m now training to be a nail technician so have to have a bit of length to practise on myself. Photo below is my own nails done with gel for my wedding was proud of myself for growing them out for that long.

Attachments

• Heart
Those look great, am trying to find a place that will do nails that won't damage them, there's so many of these cheap nail places around my area an I worry they will use something that isn't great