My fitness pal

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
So I’ve just downloaded my fitness pal as I want to start tracking my calorie intake. The long term goal is to lose weight but initially I need to see how much I’m actually taking in and where I can start to cut back.

BUT it’s driving me mad already! Why are there about 50 different options for food items, all with different calorie amounts?! How are you supposed to know the right one? For example I’ve searched for ‘medium boiled egg’ and there at least 6 different calorie amounts??? Is there an alternative simpler way to calorie count?

Reactions: 1
There is one called nutrachecker ( think that’s how it’s spelt) and i personally think it’s better. It’s £3.99 a month

So I’ve just downloaded my fitness pal as I want to start tracking my calorie intake. The long term goal is to lose weight but initially I need to see how much I’m actually taking in and where I can start to cut back.

BUT it’s driving me mad already! Why are there about 50 different options for food items, all with different calorie amounts?! How are you supposed to know the right one? For example I’ve searched for ‘medium boiled egg’ and there at least 6 different calorie amounts??? Is there an alternative simpler way to calorie count?
Stick with it - MFP really works. I lost two stone in five months with it and have kept it off for 18months now. I’d say with things like eggs have a look at the carton they came in and see if that has nutritional information on it. Failing that go for the middle one of the six! Once you’ve added foods it saves them so if you eat the same breakfast or lunch each day you can swipe right and add it each day without re-adding every time. Good luck!

Reactions: 2

If you have the box the item came in, you can scan it and it’ll bring up the specific calories for that brand.. i.e. Asda’s bread or Sainsbury’s eggs

Reactions: 3
MFP is brilliant but it is used by millions all over the world so there are lots of food options you'll need to just ignore.
As others have said, search for your specific item, i.e. "Tesco medium egg", or use the barcode scanner.
Once you've been using it a while you'll have built up your own frequent foods, so it gets easier.

Reactions: 4
I love my fitness pal but only ever use the barcode scanner x

MFP is great if you stick with it. Really good for when you cook from scratch and want to break up a meal into 6 portions (for example) it calculates the individual portions for you.

Thanks everyone. The barcode scanner definitely makes it easier, can’t believe I didn’t even notice it 🤦‍♀️

Going to start tomorrow, today doesn’t count right🤣

Reactions: 6
Stick with it! MFP is great and once you get used to tracking every day you really will lose weight if you’re sticking to it.

I once scanned the barcode from a packet of M&S crisps and it came up with some German food item though 🤣

Stick with it! MFP is great and once you get used to tracking every day you really will lose weight if you’re sticking to it.

I once scanned the barcode from a packet of M&S crisps and it came up with some German food item though 🤣
I second this re sticking with it. Even if you have a bad day calories-wise don’t be despondent, start afresh the next day and be consistent and honest with yourself.

I was introduced to MFP on another thread on this forum its great. It took me a while to realise about the barcode scanner, which makes such a difference.

Be careful how you log food, I was logging raspberries as : 100gs of raspberries but was in fact only having about 10 berries, so be careful how you search for food and also be careful when you barcode scan for the same reason. You can search for 10 raspberries etc.

But once you have the food logged, it stays in your food memory.

Don't be put of it to start with, it is a very good tool.

Be careful with MFP as I’m sure it tells people to eat 1200 calories regardless of weight or height.

Just came here to say be careful with the calorie situation when it comes to MFP. Usually they give you 1200 calories, which is a ridiculously low amount and will cause you no end of problems in the long run.

Ensure you research the amount of calories you should really be taking in, so you don't leave your body starving.

MFP is very useful if used correctly. But you definitely need to usually up the calorie amount they give you. Good luck!

Hey it's really dangerous if you go by the calories they give you ! I'm like .3 an inch off 6 foot and it told me 1200 calories!!!!! I should be eating 2000 at least ! It's so bad lol.

But apps like this even with correct calories can become obsessive. Can you get a diary and write them down instead ? If not do it just make sure to eat enough !

Be careful with MFP as I’m sure it tells people to eat 1200 calories regardless of weight or height.
It adjusts the calories based on height, weight and how much you want to lose and how quickly. As I lost weight it reduced the calorie allowance a little so you continue to be in calorie deficit.

It adjusts the calories based on height, weight and how much you want to lose and how quickly. As I lost weight it reduced the calorie allowance a little so you continue to be in calorie deficit.
I did it before and it gave me 1400 calories to lose 2 pounds a week and at the time I could have done that on 1900! I think if you're using online ways to calculate it just check multiple sites.

I’m on day 2 of using MFP. Evenings are bloody boring without crisps. Least the dog is happy because I keep taking it out for a walk to earn enough extra calories for a cuppa! I’m rubbish with my water intake though.

How often are you weighing in? I was going to do it every Saturday morning but a friend is weighing herself 3 x a week.