Katie Ellison - Mummy Daddy Me

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Gosh that corner garden sofa is £1299!
You can tell it’s good quality. If you buy cheap you normally have to buy twice. Yes it’s expensive but you can tell it will last. Look at Mrs Meldrums free Gifted Asda one. It’s seen better days and they only got it last summer.

Sorry if this is not what you guys want to hear, but I feel like it's maybe relevant at this point in the thread.

There are always going to be people with more money than us, or a bigger house, or richer parents, or prettier children, or a better holiday. There are also people with way less money than us, people with husbands/partners who beat them, people who are homeless, etc etc. It's just life.

If watching someone on YouTube or instagram is genuinely making you feel sad and unhappy with your own life, it's maybe time to stop following them. Because your own self-esteem and mental wellbeing are really important, and too precious to allow them to become dented by what you're consuming on social media.

And no, before you ask, I"m not Katie, but I do watch some of her YouTube videos and I think she has way more integrity than the vast majority of mummy floggers.

Absolutely no offence intended by this post to anybody at all, I just felt saddened by what I'd read in some of the posts above.
I have to agree. Katie is one of the most honest Mummy vloggers out there and she is not one of those who loves themselves and prances about. Her videos and ads are done professional and she puts in effort. Nothing wrong with buying a quality sofa for your garden as cheap ones just end up not lasting etc.

Last edited:
Reactions: 6
You can tell it’s good quality. If you buy cheap you normally have to buy twice. Yes it’s expensive but you can tell it will last. Look at Mrs Meldrums free Gifted Asda one. It’s seen better days and they only got it last summer.

I have to agree. Katie is one of the most honest Mummy vloggers out there and she is not one of those who loves themselves and prances about. Her videos and ads are done professional and she puts in effort. Nothing wrong with buying a quality sofa for your garden as cheap ones just end up not lasting etc.
She's talked on stories, not that long ago, and said how she can’t afford this and that and that they don’t have a lot of money. But at the same time since she moved into that house it’s been non stop renovations, decorating and all new furniture. I do like Katie and like watching her travel vlogs, and yes her and hubby work, but sometimes I think she’s out of touch with what not having any money actually is.

I just think she's clever with money. They use brand work wisely. She never accepts tit AD after tit AD like others. She puts lots of work into one big AD rather than lots of little ones!
The sofas there are the first brand new sofas they ever had. You don't see her doing cleaning product hauls or home bargains crap hauls! She seems to invest in good pieces that last. They don't go OTT at Christmas or Birthdays etc.

They don't even seem to have takeaways or meals out for no reason. It's an occasion. I just don't think she wastes money!

Reactions: 15

I don’t understand. So if you don’t have the money for something expensive & good quality? Don’t get anything?

She's talked on stories, not that long ago, and said how she can’t afford this and that and that they don’t have a lot of money. But at the same time since she moved into that house it’s been non stop renovations, decorating and all new furniture. I do like Katie and like watching her travel vlogs, and yes her and hubby work, but sometimes I think she’s out of touch with what not having any money actually is.
That’s exactly it. That’s why I’ve been sucked in. One minute she’s saying it’ll be a long time before they get the money together to decorate & that this room will take them years to save up for, the next minute it’s booked in & the height of luxury. She’ll go on these incredible holidays, once in a lifetime style trips every few months, but when she’s home she’ll be on stories saying her life isn’t glamourous because she’s doing the housework. So I get caught feeling like she’s just like the rest of us, but then she has the luxuries of the rich & famous. It’s very confusing & id disagree with the other poster that it’s honest. I think it feels misleading

• Heart
Reactions: 8
Ive only just discovered this family and I like them so far - although I haven't watched too much content so far. Even if they have more money than most, they seem to be quite down to earth. They're lucky to be able to give their kids the experiences they do, and like many said already - who wouldn't if they could. Let's se if I feel the same in a few weeks time...

I think that might be a little harsh to be fair. I had a full time job (in the armed forces too!) and a young family & honestly most of the time it was definitely less mental than being at home with the kids like I mainly am now🤷‍♀️
I totally understand your comment. When I was on maternity leave I was exhausted and keen to get back to work but it’s the way they portray this life like it’s not a choice they’ve made! They are in privileged position to not NEED to work, their Instagram is their job and they are trying too hard to be relatable. How can we relate to their moans?

Reactions: 3
I know that she tries to be relatable by being self deprecating and 'humble' but I really do find her videos and insta thee most unrelatable out there. Her videos where her children just sit colouring for hours on end and always hugging and kissing each other, immaculate house, corny music whilst making a perfect tea, constant showing off new clothes and renovations. Like I said before there is never a bad day with her. I get why she wouldn't show the bad bits of her life but she just doesn't seem human. I honestly think if she spoke about non materialistic things and her personal feelings that her channel would fly. She is boring but that is because she plays it too safe. Even the self deprecating 'humour' is boring now.

Reactions: 5
I know that she tries to be relatable by being self deprecating and 'humble' but I really do find her videos and insta thee most unrelatable out there. Her videos where her children just sit colouring for hours on end and always hugging and kissing each other, immaculate house, corny music whilst making a perfect tea, constant showing off new clothes and renovations. Like I said before there is never a bad day with her. I get why she wouldn't show the bad bits of her life but she just doesn't seem human. I honestly think if she spoke about non materialistic things and her personal feelings that her channel would fly. She is boring but that is because she plays it too safe. Even the self deprecating 'humour' is boring now.
To be fair to her she has hinted at struggling with her mental health recently. I think slowly she has started to give little bits of herself to her viewers. I also think she's not a typical narcissistic influencer so maybe finds it hard to express herself like that.
There's always going to be something we'll be critical of no matter how an influencer is. With Katie I'm just happy to watch someone who seems nice and respects her kids.
Although I do find the consumerism a bit much...even if she is more careful than others. Suppose that's what her job is though? 🤷‍♀️

Reactions: 4
I'm also not sure how much I buy that 'I don't love myself', 'I'm not a show off dick' that she always says. I genuinely am not and even though I have 3 young children and go on countless holidays every year and only work term time and pt (this year the big 3 are Disney, NY and Lapland) you won't find a single photo of me on SM and tbh even just typing that about my holidays made me gag! Brag much! So to put it out there on social media is BRAGGING. Uploading a photo a day of her smiling in the woods. Posing in her new dress. If she really wasn't up her arse she wouldn't be doing it! Its like when I worked with a woman years ago who was beautiful, but she was like 'I'm so ugly! I'm so fat' anyway, a body painter artist came in and she was the first to volunteer and strip off. Actions speak louder than words

Reactions: 2
I think she is out her comfort zone on social media, she started her blog long before the days of Instagram. She has always enjoyed photography but just fell into this online world.

Reactions: 4
I’ve only started watching her and I do like her, will see how it pans out but so far I think she’s the best of a bad bunch

Reactions: 1
I think she makes great videos and brands get their money’s worth from her but... I don’t buy the humble brag either.

The whole “I feel SO awkward posting on social media and I’m worried people will think I’m really narcissistic etc etc” is really starting to irritate- if you weren’t, you wouldn’t post selfies and outfit pics, no one’s making you do it!
Her feed is lovely but just bloody own it, the faux self-deprecation is just nauseating

Reactions: 7
To be fair to her she has hinted at struggling with her mental health recently. I think slowly she has started to give little bits of herself to her viewers. I also think she's not a typical narcissistic influencer so maybe finds it hard to express herself like that.
There's always going to be something we'll be critical of no matter how an influencer is. With Katie I'm just happy to watch someone who seems nice and respects her kids.
Although I do find the consumerism a bit much...even if she is more careful than others. Suppose that's what her job is though? 🤷‍♀️
Sorry but she is part of the channel mum brigade. Notice all the channel mums talked about mental health at the same time.

Judging by her latest video, she reads here. It was nice of her to address that she recognises she is contributing to people feeling bad, that her children do in fact argue, her vlogs are corny and that she is struggling with being so materialistic online. She said other stuff too, it was great of her to be so honest tbh

Reactions: 9
Shock I see Jon went to manchester with the kids to visit his family and she stayed behind - she will literally do anything to avoid seeing them (on the rare occasion they do) yet poor jon is dragged out to her family All. The. Time. It’s stuff like this that grinds on me with Katie - she makes out she’s all about family yet she clearly can’t stand her in-laws. And don’t get me started on the “poor us we can’t afford to renovate any of our house” line, as they just blow £1k+ on a bloody bit of garden furniture to then plaster all over social media.... to then have her crying on YT about making people feel bad?! Get real Katie

• Heart
Shock I see Jon went to manchester with the kids to visit his family and she stayed behind - she will literally do anything to avoid seeing them (on the rare occasion they do) yet poor jon is dragged out to her family All. The. Time. It’s stuff like this that grinds on me with Katie - she makes out she’s all about family yet she clearly can’t stand her in-laws. And don’t get me started on the “poor us we can’t afford to renovate any of our house” line, as they just blow £1k+ on a bloody bit of garden furniture to then plaster all over social media.... to then have her crying on YT about making people feel bad?! Get real Katie
I'm all about family too but I haven't seen my mother in law for 7 years. I told my husband before we had kids that I'd never let her near them and he was in agreement.

I don't think it's fair to make a very sweeping statement without knowing the ins and outs of someone's life.

Reactions: 14
I'm all about family too but I haven't seen my mother in law for 7 years. I told my husband before we had kids that I'd never let her near them and he was in agreement.

I don't think it's fair to make a very sweeping statement without knowing the ins and outs of someone's life.
I'm estranged from my mother in law too. It might be them who dont like her. Families, eh?

They had Jon's family down at Christmas and have been up to see his family for a family wedding quite recently.
I quite often let my husband take the children to see his mother so I have a day to myself. Don't begrudge Katie a night to herself....I do begrudge her pretending they are saving for things then a few months later sudden having the thousands of pounds they need for the next home improvement or car or holiday.

Notice she storied in the ensuite (only room bar the kitchen not yet renovated) with the same old 'don't know when we have the money to do up this room'. Based on her track history I'd give it 6 months before it finished.

They had Jon's family down at Christmas and have been up to see his family for a family wedding quite recently.
I quite often let my husband take the children to see his mother so I have a day to myself. Don't begrudge Katie a night to herself....I do begrudge her pretending they are saving for things then a few months later sudden having the thousands of pounds they need for the next home improvement or car or holiday.

Notice she storied in the ensuite (only room bar the kitchen not yet renovated) with the same old 'don't know when we have the money to do up this room'. Based on her track history I'd give it 6 months before it finished.
Regarding the saving up for renovations. It really depends how much you earn, what kind of lifestyle you choose and how you manage your finances. I can honestly say that myself and my husband saved enough for a major renovation of whole apartment just in a few months... That being said, we live a very frugal life and are both minimalists in every aspect of our lives. We also have a 1 year old, whose arrival didn't stop us from saving! So I can really believe that she's able to save up quite an amount - ad collabs, google ad sense, freebies, her freelance work, Jon's income, that surely must provide them with a fair bit of money for renovations.

Regarding the saving up for renovations. It really depends how much you earn, what kind of lifestyle you choose and how you manage your finances. I can honestly say that myself and my husband saved enough for a major renovation of whole apartment just in a few months... That being said, we live a very frugal life and are both minimalists in every aspect of our lives. We also have a 1 year old, whose arrival didn't stop us from saving! So I can really believe that she's able to save up quite an amount - ad collabs, google ad sense, freebies, her freelance work, Jon's income, that surely must provide them with a fair bit of money for renovations.
I agree with this- we all have different scopes for saving.

Reactions: 2
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.