Mrs Meldrum #4 Boobs & Ad's Galore, The Busy Life Of A Scotty Spon Bore (The Meldrum Family)

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Can you link the new mumsnet thread please? (Or say what section it’s in if that’s not allowed)

Reactions: 2
When the Mum floggers walk around the shops and do the come shop with me in xyz or what’s new in the shops. This is a working relationship they have with the brand no way in hell would a shop allow a random person walk around the shop filming with out prior knowledge. Also all the primark hauls are gifted via gift card and they get a limit to spend. Again they don’t disclose this as ad or gifted. Why the shadyness just be honest.

Reactions: 6
I am sure lots of people have been drawn to this site in recent days and I really hope some of what has been said has had an important impact. I cannot be the only (fairly) "normal" woman who has watched vlogs and, despite having a happy life, been left feeling like somehow something has gone wrong in my life, because despite us both working incredible hard, in decent jobs, the lifestyles in the vlogs just isn't achievable.
I'm not gullible, I'm not jealous and I'm not bitter. I wouldn't for a second resent the experiences a family can afford their children. But it seems "afford" is the key word. I know vlogging families probably want to keep their freebies quiet so as not to stir resentment in viewers, but instead it leaves viewers feeling baffled as to how on earth they are managing to maintain such a lifestyle when both parents are at home.

I'm nice and cynical and it's surprised me how these vlogs have insidiously got to me. I am sure there must be many others left feeling the same. Somehow when Lee was working I "got" their lifestyle. Now they need much more transparency to let people know what is what. Because boy, there must be some folk who watch their lifestyle and feel pretty deflated.

Someone mentioned that sponsorships do pay well. Do they really? That well? Because otherwise I cannot for the life of me figure out how they are doing all this. All the work to their old house and now this very expensive house. And the two cars... Rather than seeing the vlogs as aspirational now, I think many are just left feeling "where have I gone wrong?"

They are a business and I hope they can take constructive criticism. Viewers want to aspire to something but it must at least seem achievable. I fear the backlash makes them very vulnerable as big sponsorships will back away. Living firmly in the real world that would be keeping me awake at night because as a parent it's all about the stable future for your children isn't it and heck, social media feels like such a fragile foundation for that.

Reactions: 34
I am sure lots of people have been drawn to this site in recent days and I really hope some of what has been said has had an important impact. I cannot be the only (fairly) "normal" woman who has watched vlogs and, despite having a happy life, been left feeling like somehow something has gone wrong in my life, because despite us both working incredible hard, in decent jobs, the lifestyles in the vlogs just isn't achievable.
I'm not gullible, I'm not jealous and I'm not bitter. I wouldn't for a second resent the experiences a family can afford their children. But it seems "afford" is the key word. I know vlogging families probably want to keep their freebies quiet so as not to stir resentment in viewers, but instead it leaves viewers feeling baffled as to how on earth they are managing to maintain such a lifestyle when both parents are at home.

I'm nice and cynical and it's surprised me how these vlogs have insidiously got to me. I am sure there must be many others left feeling the same. Somehow when Lee was working I "got" their lifestyle. Now they need much more transparency to let people know what is what. Because boy, there must be some folk who watch their lifestyle and feel pretty deflated.

Someone mentioned that sponsorships do pay well. Do they really? That well? Because otherwise I cannot for the life of me figure out how they are doing all this. All the work to their old house and now this very expensive house. And the two cars... Rather than seeing the vlogs as aspirational now, I think many are just left feeling "where have I gone wrong?"

They are a business and I hope they can take constructive criticism. Viewers want to aspire to something but it must at least seem achievable. I fear the backlash makes them very vulnerable as big sponsorships will back away. Living firmly in the real world that would be keeping me awake at night because as a parent it's all about the stable future for your children isn't it and heck, social media feels like such a fragile foundation for that.

It’s becsuse it’s subliminal advertising. Not in your face it’s subtle it’s just something that plants a seed.

Reactions: 2

Well said

Reactions: 1
The issues is that people (often new/first time mums) are watching these vlogs, believing that everything their "friend" Rebecca is using/doing is a key part of being the perfect parent, when of course it's not...it's not a genuine, authentic partnership it is the company that pays her the most.

This is why I have written to Martin Lewis, I think it is miss selling to venerable people and, as we have seen on this thread, it has the potential to cause mental health problems.

Reactions: 8

Very well written, I agree 100%

Reactions: 4
Can anyone link to the mumsnet thread, I'm curious to know if they are finally accepting that there is an issue here. Or if they are continuing to support their own interest....i.e. kickbacks from channel mums

Reactions: 3
Very well written, I agree 100%
Totally agree, I started watching the mum vloggers about a year ago. First time mum to a now two year old, I’m an organised person and was drawn to the routine, menu planning videos as life had been turned upside down with a baby. I still enjoy these fairly simple videos and the smaller pages but if I wanted to watch people having an unattainable life I would tune into the Kardashian’s.

It’s not jealously or bitterness but it’s boring watching the Meldrums and it does make me bewildered when they complain how busy and tired they are when the have two dedicated adults full time at home. I just can’t relate to that and don’t know any of my mum friends that would either. They need to be a bit more humble about the fortunate position they are in and not so passive aggressive towards comments. There are trolls yes but what a label to put on decent people who are commenting. I’ve unsubscribed from all their media and I’m definitely not inspired to spend my little spare money on items they claim to purchase when in fact they are saturated in freebies and still moaning!

Reactions: 12
Dear Mrs Cannon-Meldrum,

As the listed Company Director of Mrs Meldrum Limited I would like to express my disappointment over the failure to adhere to and blatant disregard of advertising rules, which you have demonstrated across various social media platforms for some time, recently coming to a head with the infamous trip to Disneyland Paris.

As the Director, you are responsible for the actions of your company and are liable for the acts and/or negligence of the firm. This is despite your opinion that there are "so many conflicting guidelines around online videos and posts but as yet, very few hard and fast rules about how to present them." May I refer you to "An Influencer's Guide to making clear that ads are ads" a guide developed by regulators responsible for overseeing influencer marketing in the UK to help social influencers stick to the rules by making clear when their posts are ads (www.asa.org.uk).

Now, I must make you aware that I do not post Youtube videos nor Instagram posts. I do not provide affiliate links or discount codes. I do not work with companies for some form of payment, nor receive some form of editorial control over any content. I do not get 'paid’ for any content which isn’t as part of an affiliate arrangement and the brand doesn’t have any ‘control’ of what (or even if) I post. However, after spending 15 minutes reading "An Influencer's Guide to making clear that ads are ads" from cover to cover, I can state with great certainty that the rules are in fact hard and fast and very clear and concise.

I note of particular interest: "Under the CAP Code ads ‘must be obviously identifiable as such’. This means that consumers should be able to recognise that something is an ad, without having to click or otherwise interact with it. Since it needs to be ‘obvious’, consumers shouldn’t have to work too hard to figure it out."
Further: "The main thing to remember is that you need to make it obvious – any label (or other means) you use to highlight the ad needs to be upfront (before people click/engage), prominent (so people notice it), appropriate for the channel (what can you see and when?) and suitable for all potential devices (it needs to be clear on mobile too!). This means that burying the label in a sea of hashtags or putting it where it can only be seen by clicking ‘see more’ or clicking to view the full post, probably isn’t going to cut it. We recommend including it ‘at the beginning’ – which might mean in the title, thumbnail or on an image (if that’s all people see at first)."

Nothing conflicting there and I would suggest this is all very clear to you, hence the earlier reference to your blatant disregard of advertising rules.

You have brought not only yourself, your company/brand and Channel Mum into disrepute but have also tarnished the brands you have worked with and may work with in the future, as well as others who have been and continue to do the right thing. Some of the initial ramifications of your actions are visible, but only time will tell the ongoing impact to yourself, your company/brand and others.

In conclusion, although you state "it’s hard when your business is your life & it all feels very personal" this is all the result of your choice of action and you are responsible and accountable for such. Your business is placed in and reliant on the public domain, as such your integrity must beyond reproach, or your behaviour will be called out and you held to account.

Yours sincerley,

Mrs Inigo Montoya

Reactions: 34
My big problem with her is she wants to make big money and be a buisness. But also wants to be treated as if she's just an individual when anything goes wrong. The advertising standards authority rules are very clear, it takes a few minutes to understand them. But she claims they are complicated and confusing. If this is her job she should know them off by heart and always stay updated the moment they change. That's what you do with a job. The rules were written so that even a child can understand them. She has shown herself to be a liar and very dishonest. Even if she does stick to the rules from now on I can't trust her again and just see money in her eyes. If she had of admitted she deliberately lied and deceived viewers and was out of line I might have still had some respect for her. I don't think any brands should employ her anymore. This YouTube looks easy, so no reason why she can't do it along side a normal job. Freelance is insecure, it's the nature of the beast.

Reactions: 14
Dear Mrs Cannon-Meldrum,

As the listed Company Director of Mrs Meldrum Limited I would like to express my disappointment over the failure to adhere to and blatant disregard of advertising rules, which you have demonstrated across various social media platforms for some time, recently coming to a head with the infamous trip to Disneyland Paris.

As the Director, you are responsible for the actions of your company and are liable for the acts and/or negligence of the firm. This is despite your opinion that there are "so many conflicting guidelines around online videos and posts but as yet, very few hard and fast rules about how to present them." May I refer you to "An Influencer's Guide to making clear that ads are ads" a guide developed by regulators responsible for overseeing influencer marketing in the UK to help social influencers stick to the rules by making clear when their posts are ads (www.asa.org.uk).

Now, I must make you aware that I do not post Youtube videos nor Instagram posts. I do not provide affiliate links or discount codes. I do not work with companies for some form of payment, nor receive some form of editorial control over any content. I do not get 'paid’ for any content which isn’t as part of an affiliate arrangement and the brand doesn’t have any ‘control’ of what (or even if) I post. However, after spending 15 minutes reading "An Influencer's Guide to making clear that ads are ads" from cover to cover, I can state with great certainty that the rules are in fact hard and fast and very clear and concise.

I note of particular interest: "Under the CAP Code ads ‘must be obviously identifiable as such’. This means that consumers should be able to recognise that something is an ad, without having to click or otherwise interact with it. Since it needs to be ‘obvious’, consumers shouldn’t have to work too hard to figure it out."
Further: "The main thing to remember is that you need to make it obvious – any label (or other means) you use to highlight the ad needs to be upfront (before people click/engage), prominent (so people notice it), appropriate for the channel (what can you see and when?) and suitable for all potential devices (it needs to be clear on mobile too!). This means that burying the label in a sea of hashtags or putting it where it can only be seen by clicking ‘see more’ or clicking to view the full post, probably isn’t going to cut it. We recommend including it ‘at the beginning’ – which might mean in the title, thumbnail or on an image (if that’s all people see at first)."

Nothing conflicting there and I would suggest this is all very clear to you, hence the earlier reference to your blatant disregard of advertising rules.

You have brought not only yourself, your company/brand and Channel Mum into disrepute but have also tarnished the brands you have worked with and may work with in the future, as well as others who have been and continue to do the right thing. Some of the initial ramifications of your actions are visible, but only time will tell the ongoing impact to yourself, your company/brand and others.

In conclusion, although you state "it’s hard when your business is your life & it all feels very personal" this is all the result of your choice of action and you are responsible and accountable for such. Your business is placed in and reliant on the public domain, as such your integrity must beyond reproach, or your behaviour will be called out and you held to account.

Yours sincerley,

Mrs Inigo Montoya
Bravo ?? Power to the People ?

Reactions: 4
Dear Mrs Cannon-Meldrum,

Yours sincerley,

Mrs Inigo Montoya
My big problem with her is she wants to make big money and be a buisness. But also wants to be treated as if she's just an individual when anything goes wrong. The advertising standards authority rules are very clear, it takes a few minutes to understand them. But she claims they are complicated and confusing. If this is her job she should know them off by heart and always stay updated the moment they change. That's what you do with a job. The rules were written so that even a child can understand them. She has shown herself to be a liar and very dishonest. Even if she does stick to the rules from now on I can't trust her again and just see money in her eyes. If she had of admitted she deliberately lied and deceived viewers and was out of line I might have still had some respect for her. I don't think any brands should employ her anymore. This YouTube looks easy, so no reason why she can't do it along side a normal job. Freelance is insecure, it's the nature of the beast.
It wasn't a mistake because I know that I saw them both mention insta that it wasn't an ad and the only gift was a vip guide. That really changed things. They went out of their way to bend the truth but why?

Reactions: 11
It wasn't a mistake because I know that I saw them both mention insta that it wasn't an ad and the only gift was a vip guide. That really changed things. They went out of their way to bend the truth but why?
I know! It didn't sit right with me because I distinctly remember saying they paid for it but got VIP passes on their insta stories. And that was before I saw this thread or anything 'exposing' them. So no bias or anything. That is what made me question them, especially since others commented saying the same thing. Why lie?

Reactions: 6
I’ve noticed with the channel mums that they are all very keen to point out that they are “really positive” people but I’ve found that if you need to point out how positive you are you are probably not.

Reactions: 5
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.