Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

montydonfc

VIP Member
I only found this thread thanks to Colette the snitch on insta yesterday and oh my goodness ?? Finally! I seriously thought EVERYONE was under this Meldrum Superficial, Unattainable, Unrelatable, cosy knit, bad boy spell! Give them their absolute dues, they have created this brand that so many seem to have bought into, but they are definitely beginning to show their true colours with this latest Disney Debacale! Nobody in their right mind doubted that the Disney trip wasn’t a gift/work/paid trip because, credit your viewers/followers with intelligence - who after JUST buying a new house has the spare cash to book a weekend to Disney?! What they need to realise is it’s not the fact they have been gifted/received goods/cash, it’s that they didn’t declare it from the get-go. The deliberately and intentionally tried to manipulate people into believing they had funded the trip and had “just” been given the VIP passes, yeah sure cos the guys on the entry gate were like “Holy Moly, there’s that Belter Guy and Edgy Babe from Banchory, get the VIP passes out!” It’s the sense of entitlement they have about them that has massively put me off the pair of them! That they honestly believe they don’t have to share when they are being gifted items or receiving privileges in exchange for their services or indeed their children’s services in this case also - she is a business! As she states “you tube is my jam!” So she should be the very one who knows the rules and regulations inside out. She is ruthless and he’s so desperate to be famous it’s cringeworthy. For my sins, I still follow her just to watch the sh@tstorm unfold really as I think it’s only a matter of time, but had to unfollow him after an insta story about being in the local village butcher to pick up some cheeky lamb chops and a belting macaroni pie for his walk to the park with little coco pops/darling/popster and I just thought - is this what my life is now?! Watching this absolute weapon standing recording himself in the butchers picking up a blooming lamb chop?! Anyway, the comments on here are hilarious ? so keep up the good work guys!

Reactions: 40
B

Blah0908

Ok I’ve been a lurker on this thread but feel the need to comment. I’ve followed MrsM from the beginning and had always enjoyed her content up until probably the last year.
This thread has really opened my eyes. Obviously I’m not gullible enough to think that a 10 minute vlog or Instagram post is anything but a glorified version of their life but I feel really really misled by how they have portrayed their life. All these years of feeling rubbish because I was watching someone with the ‘perfect’ life, being able to afford a beautiful 4 bed house and 3 holidays a year. All of the £150 joules boots and coats for the kids. When really it’s all a bit of a lie as it’s been gifted or promoted. It’s not just the meldrums it’s ‘influencers’ as a whole. I believe it’s detrimental to the mental health of many many people.
There needs to be a lot more transparency in the industry!
Who cares that their home was a part ownership, I wouldn’t but the secrecy of it and the fake ness of them being wealthy and middle class is gross.
I wouldn’t have known any of this if I hadn’t have stumbled across these threads. It’s disgusting how people are mis led. It makes me sick that there are 100s of 1000s of families out there that can’t afford a holiday, or new shoes for their kids, even Christmas presents, yet people on Instagram get it thrown at them For free and can’t even be honest about it! How horrendous must a lot of these parents feel? I know because I have been there!
This is a bit of a ramble, I’m really rubbish at getting my point across in words. There just needs to be more honesty.

Reactions: 35

Oh my gosh!!

Thank goodness I’ve found this... I am one of those followers who did get utterly sucked in, I needed the joules boots, avidly watched the primark hauls and made mental notes of what I HAD to buy and dreamed of taking my children to Disney...I watched them all... 2 weeks ago something changed, I’ve been diagnosed with post natal depression and a huge part of that was me thinking I needed to be like some of these influencers, that there life was how mine should be. Now of course I no deep down it’s not real life, they are given these things to make us buy them but I’m not ashamed to say I was stupid enough to believe they would make me a better mum.
Something needs to be done, real life isn’t a ‘here you go, have a jolly weekend at Disneyland’ or a fridge that I can remotely check the contents of whilst I’ve nipped to Tesco... Just be flipping (would love you swear but I won’t ?) honest!!!!

Reactions: 27

swipeup

VIP Member
Rebecca & Lee, we know you're reading here......if you really don't understand why the trip to Disney should have been properly declared from the start as a gifted trip and marked as an ad in partnership with Tesco, then you really need to speak to someone who can break down the ASA rules for you in a way that you can no longer claim they're so vague you can't understand them. You've been doing this for years yet you seem to be claiming ignorance over how to apply the rules...why do you find it so difficult to apply what are actually quite easy to follow guidelines? After having them explained to you in simple terms using the flow chart, if you still don't get it, then it's time to step away from this as a career because you're clearly not up to the job.

You really need to get your head round the idea that an #ad is not just being paid for something in cold hard cash. Flights, hotels, experiences, clothing etc. are all "payment in kind" (better talk to HMRC about that as well) and when you accept these freebies, you're in a partnership with the company that gave them to you. Although you've said Tesco only used one photo...that one photo was enough to make that entire trip a "work trip". You took a job from Tesco and partnered with them to promote the Disney clothing and part of that promotion was a trip to Disney which presumably had quite a bit going on behind the scenes to work it all out. How can you not see that it's "work". The entire thing from the pyjama post the night before until you got back home was in partnership with Tesco and EVERY SINGLE post and story should have been properly disclosed.

You've been caught with your hand in the cookie jar (again) and the "apology" today doesn't cut it. The way you lied by omission the whole weekend when asked about it was shameful. Show some humility, educate yourself so you can do your job properly and learn from this and do better. And stop blocking every single person who challenges you (by the way it's not "your platform", it's Instagram's and you don't own that space). Silencing people who have a different opinion or don't agree with everything you do or say is a slippery slope that never ends well.

Reactions: 21
M

Member 1126

Sorry just got to comment, even though my edgy parole officer won't approve! ?

Someone has just been caught out big time, like a kid with their arm up to the elbow in the sweetie jar or a politician with their trousers round their ankles.

That apology reminds me, straight up, of The little Britain Sketches with the politician "apologising" for misdemeanors that he " didn't realise" he'd made. All that's missing is Lee sitting beside her, holding her hand and being "supportive". Look it up on You Tube.......?
She's had a knuckle rapping from somewhere and for "the slowing down for a few days" read crawling back under my rock until the dust settles and I might just have run out of #ADs to post. Hmmm maybe a wee vlog on mental health?? "?

She's not that busy and she doesn't work that hard, she chose to accept two "gifted" holidays back to back, chose to move house( with a lot of support on the day) and dare I say it chose to have three kids.

Just pray for Lee, that the day he does finally go for the snip, that the Dr involved isn't " shattered" after dealing with long shifts, emergencies and potentially juggling NHS and private work which results in him making a "booboo" .........either forgetting the anaesthetic or cutting the whole lot off!!

She may not have " been paid to be there" but there appears to have been a heck of a lot in lieu of cold, hard cash. Big companies such as Tesco and Disney, as have been said, do not do things like this out of the goodness of their hearts. You gave your "services" as a You Tube "star" they gave you the trip in return for providing that service
Remember in the olden days, before You Tube, people used to be " paid" in chickens and sheep simples!

Let her have her numpties praising her on Instagram, in appears to massage egos on both sides and makes them happy.....And remember when she gets me up in court for cracking a few jokes that obviously hit a nerve I'll be the one able to tell the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth. Mrs M may well struggle with that ?

Reactions: 20

Peachbomb

VIP Member
“Now Madame, I see that on the 4 November 2018 you laughed at someone’s coat online and likened it to a “spare duvet”
How do you plead?”

Reactions: 19

Queenie

VIP Member
I’m really disappointed in Tesco giving freebies to families who can well afford them themselves. They could’ve ran a competition or something to give 10 ordinary families, whose parents actually work for a living, a fantastic trip to Disney which they couldn’t otherwise afford.

Reactions: 19

Tilda

Avid lurker for the last few days here but needed to come out of hiding as I'm a police officer. Rebecca's threats of reporting you to the police would not be taken seriously at all. Unless you had posted something that made her feel like her life or of her families is in danger then it would never be investigated. Witty comedy about a YouTuber is not illegal and I will miss your posts if you have gone.

Rebecca is on very dodgy grounds herself and that is probably the reason she is making idle threats.

Reactions: 18

it_was_a_boob

I had a reply from channel mum. I'm incognito under a different name as don't want to be linked to my posts I've already contributed on this message board.

My message to CM.

I'm emailing regarding one of your vloggers Mrs Meldrum and her recent holiday to Disneyland Paris. Rebecca Meldrum failed to disclose her holiday to Disneyland was paid for (IE gifted to her) by F&F clothing. I find the lack of transparency she and her husband have shown to be wholly unethical. She's told her followers that this trip was not an ad, and they were given a VIP guide. However since then F&F clothing have featured the Meldrum family in a promotional photo on Instagram at Disneyland Paris and other bloggers/vloggers that have been invited have shown a much more realistic view of this holiday, including attending the park before opening, private interaction with the characters, private viewing areas for the parades, as well as the use of the guide Mr and Mrs Meldrum mentioned.

The Meldrum family have shown a completely unrealistic view of a disneyland Paris holiday. Paying guests do not get to stand in special areas to watch the fireworks or see a parade. They don't get to skip the queue, they don't get access to characters when no other guests are admitted.

I would like clarification on exactly what they have been gifted (the f&f clothing they are wearing? The park tickets? The accommodation at Newport bay hotel? They flights there and back?)

As you are probably aware vloggers and 'influencers' are now bound by stricter rules by the advertisement standard agency and even if they don't receive monetary payment for their work they have to declare any gifts they receive as an advertisement. Just in case you aren't aware here is a link on that information. It would probably benefit you to tell all your vloggers about this rule as it appears Rebecca Meldrum doesn't know about it.

https://www.asa.org.uk/advice-online/video-blogs-scenarios.html

It appears to me, and many others that the Meldrum family have indeed been gifted part, or all of their holiday to Disneyland Paris and as such it is an Advertisement and they are breaking the ASA rules. I'd would appreciate your response to this as the Meldrum family censored a lot of comments made on their social media platforms and when people ask they find themselves blocked and their comments deleted. If the Meldrum family were more open and addressed these questions then I wouldn't have the need to email channel mum for clarification. However their censored approach to questions regarding their conduct means I have no way of asking these questions personally. As you promote this family I assume you also guide them with regard to transparency so I feel it is right that you address this issue on their behalf.

I look very much forward to your reply, and maybe a statement from the Meldrum family on why they have failed to disclose this holiday as a paid promotion for F&F clothing

Kind regards
≈≈≈

The reply.

Many thanks for getting in touch, we really appreciate your time in writing to us.

Mrs Meldrum has posted her own response which you can read here. While this hopefully covers most of your questions - and while Mrs Meldrum hasn't broken any advertising rules - we wholeheartedly agree that being open, honest and transparent at all times is the most important thing.

As a community, we always try to go above and beyond the rules and WE ALWAYS flag up each time we are paid for a post. As we're sure you understand, the paid posts are what help us fund the free parent support groups and expert help on the Channel Mum site. Without these ads, we couldn't help thousands of families who turn to us for support each year.

We also try very hard to make sure any ads we do have are interesting, useful and above all helpful to you. As mums ourselves, we never want to do anything which we wouldn't want to watch!

Thanks to your message, we'll be reminding all OUR CREATORS not just to do what we need to do to follow the rules but to do much more and importantly - to do what you have asked us to do.

So once again, thank you and we are delighted you have shared your thoughts with us.

Kind regards,
My reply back to CM.

Dear Ms Lxxxx

I'm disappointed in your reply. Are you really saying that she didn't break the ASA rules? I'd just like you to clarify that for me as I would disagree and if you are saying that then you and your team really need legal guidance on the new rules.

If you are trying to make it seem a bit 'woolly' that this didn't fall under the CAP code (which I personally believe it does because the Meldrums had to give over some of their holiday to be photographed for the F&F Instagram account, thus meaning there was an element of 'control') then you should be aware even if you and Rebecca Meldrum are claiming there was no control it still falls under CMA and if it is not an ad covered by the CAP Code but there was still ‘paid’ (in money or in kind), the consumer protection legislation enforced by the CMA still applies.

As such all video/photography should still prominently be labelled as ‘Advertisement
Feature’ or ‘Advertisement Promotion’, and to have regard to the ASA/CAP guidelines.

If you had cared to look at the link I sent you, or had familiarised yourself with the new framework you would obviously know this.

I feel your email and Rebecca Meldrums reply both scream of sorry, not sorry.

Your creator lied, she didn't make a "boob" she lied. And ultimately as her agent you allowed that to happen, and are still covering her backside with the reply you have sent to me.

I'm disappointed, but not surprised.

Regards, Mrs

On a side note, when I emailed I used 'Mrs surname' as a sign off, reply back was a breezy 'hi first-name'

If someone takes the time to sign off 'Mrs surname' I expect a 'Dear Mrs surname' back. To bring this point to the sender I made sure my response back to her was 'Dear Ms surname'

Reactions: 18

fireflies

VIP Member
Brummy mummy of 2 said those who don’t play by asa rules are wrong. Those who complain about it are not normal. So brummy mummy isn’t either seemingly ?‍♀ The asa and hmrc are there for people to report fraud or complain. If it wasn’t normal to complain then these wouldn’t be there for public to complain. If Rebs done nothing wrong then why is she so worried So sorry guys as tax payers if we ever see anyone claiming benefits etc and shouldn’t be then we shouldn’t say anything. Regulations around vloggers needs tightening up
Brummummy is in awquard spot. Shes met and collabs with reb before.
Reb tagged her she commented.
But then she come under fire and she had paid.

Shes non channel mum so maybe shes worried about channel mum backlash.
This could effect loads of them if asa and inland revenue take it seriously.

I wasent aware anyone posting her actual address.

What might interest police is

1 )left mail around in vlogs with address on
2)showed outside of their house on lots vlogs sometimes with vehicle number plates which is quick check online.
3)announce when they out their house realtime in days out or holidays.
4)drone footage narrows location down further for locals.
Using drone without licence.
5) they announce their house is for sale so easy to find as on council website if it wasent it would have been on right move or equivalent which is how people knew their old address.
6) new house well she revealed location on a video which she deleted.
Bit it was also listed online as was for sale and infamous due to murder.
Her then insta stories confirmed it was the house.

She lied about ownership
Now she's lied about disney.

Yes police will love her.

She can't control free speech and everything online.

People just want transparency and honesty.
Its nothing vindictive, jealously or trolling.

Reactions: 15

stuffata

The sheep think she is genuinely advertising things she is interested in...not the ones that pay the most. Unbelievable.

Anyway, tattle can be dismissed as a gossip site but I think there has been important work done here uncovering a scam...I'm going to write to Martin Lewis as I think this needs more exposure.

Someone posted on here about just having been diagnosed with PND and how Mrs Meldrum added to their sense of inadequacy with their unachievable lifestyle, pushing people into debt as they feel they need to have the latest 'thing".
The post was heart breaking really.

On another note....I love the humor of this thread...literally makes me laugh out loud keep it up:love:

Jndc85

The reason I said last night Can we all agree to disagree on here was because I knew with having attracted mumsnetters from the ethics thread we'd attract cady and sofia who constantly try to police what people can and can't talk about and detail the thread and here she is started already under the name ohsandy44.

Cady this isn't mumsnet it's not a thread exclusively about ethics we can talk about whatever we like and if you don't like that tough!

M

Member 1126

Thank you all Lovlies, for your gut wrenching messages of support. I have felt all your love shining through tonight and you are all indeed abnormal Swarovski Crystals ?

However due to a certain Edgey one's very fragile ego I have decided to lay low........for now. ( I cannot fathom why anyone would A: Google themselves or B: Read an obviously unflattering thread about themselves in detail, I state again I have never commented good or bad on, or am blocked from any of her social media platforms!)
As far as I'm aware I am of no threat to either themselves or their families, although I do admit true razor sharp wit, ( which you may be unaccustomed to dealing with) and the hard truth is bound to hurt.
I do also feel that I am not "the bully" in this scenario either !
A truly humbled Sproglet

Last edited by a moderator:

reader87123

VIP Member
Oooooh now I get it! So she just "forgot" that she didn't pay for the trip amongst the chaos of moving house, etc. Sure you did! And people going out of their way and ASKING you if it was paid trip didn't jog your memory and remind you that yaid a big fat nothing for it at all? Amazing, really. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Reactions: 14

Oohthedrama

Iconic Member
I can only apologise for my graphic content.

As a poster, I try and go above and beyond in my efforts to please, sometimes I make a boob.
Sometimes... nearly a dick ?
So once again, thank you and i am delighted you have all shared your thoughts with me.

Ooh. (Represented by scammel ma!)

Interesting019

Well they are sahm's and running successful businesses so they're working a lot harder than you!
Oh hi @Qwertymum, now I'm referencing you specifically .... Could you point me in the direction of the mummy vlogger who runs her own youtube/QVC channel from home successfully while at home all day with kids not in nursery and a husband working 70+ hours per week? I'd love to go view their channel. Thanks lovely x

Last edited:

Pushyplumb

VIP Member
Thank goodness I’ve found this... I am one of those followers who did get utterly sucked in, I needed the joules boots, avidly watched the primark hauls and made mental notes of what I HAD to buy and dreamed of taking my children to Disney...I watched them all... 2 weeks ago something changed, I’ve been diagnosed with post natal depression and a huge part of that was me thinking I needed to be like some of these influencers, that there life was how mine should be. Now of course I no deep down it’s not real life, they are given these things to make us buy them but I’m not ashamed to say I was stupid enough to believe they would make me a better mum.
Something needs to be done, real life isn’t a ‘here you go, have a jolly weekend at Disneyland’ or a fridge that I can remotely check the contents of whilst I’ve nipped to Tesco... Just be flipping (would love you swear but I won’t ?) honest!!!!
Oh My Gosh, I was once the same, brought a pair of shoes because a certain influencer recommended them, never saw the influencer wear them again. Feeling bad because I've never taken my child to Disney, she doesn't even like Disney but all the vloggers were telling me how magical it is. I got sucked in to believing they were really interested in this mum village. This is why it is so important to be transparent and honest. Sensible, educated, intelligent people get sucked into this marketing game. It's very profitable for the brands and influencers but damaging to the viewers and followers.

Nicolej33

I have followed her for years. Today I posted a polite comment saying that actually as the mum of a teenage girl I'm glad there is now rules surrounding influencers having to declare things as gifted. As my teen was starting to compare people she watched (mostly americans) and compare their trips and holidays and material possessions to her own and it wasn't giving a true realistic perception of what is achievable to most people day to day. I said I don't grudge influencers being gifted anything as it's part of their job but I'm glad it's now needing declared properly. Then went on to say the trip looked great.

It's been deleted. So Rebecca you can fuck right off! Your transparency is utter bullshit when you are deleting genuine followers comments that don't fit in with your narrative. Now I see her for what she truly is a complete greedy little fraud. I have unfollowed both of them and unsubscribed from YouTube and everywhere else.

And by the way no Rebecca, your trip didn't need to be declared an ad by the asa guidelines if what they are saying is true about Tesco having no say in what or how they posted but they absolutely should be reported to the cma.

It's not hard unless you have the brain the size of a gnat.

Attachments

As much as I think this forum is great can we drop the archaic notion that Lee should "get a job" and "be with the men" simply because he's the only man in a family of wee girls. I see a lot of people disgusted that he's a stay at home dad and it's so annoying to me - families are all different and it's cool that he can be a stay at home dad, as the daughter of a man in oil I know how hard it was having him offshore all the time. The reason he needs to get a job is nothing to do with him being a man and needing to be masculine, it's to do with an inconsistent income and a crippling mortgage ? be interesting to see when and where he goes back to work!

Reactions: 13
N

NellieOleson

Well they are sahm's and running successful businesses so they're working a lot harder than you!
Your evidence for this is what exactly? I’m able to hold down a demanding job, post on tattle, manage the family AND understand the ASA rules better than MrsM and Channel Mum appear to so....

Reactions: 13